Start by marking “Alienated (Alienated, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alienated (Alienated, #1)

Alienated (Alienated #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  12,742 ratings  ·  2,175 reviews
Two years ago, the aliens made contact. Now Cara Sweeney is going to be sharing a bathroom with one of them.

Handpicked to host the first-ever L’eihr exchange student, Cara thinks her future is set. Not only does she get a free ride to her dream college, she’ll have inside information about the mysterious L’eihrs that every journalist would kill for. Cara’s blog following
Published February 4th 2014 by Disney Hyperion (first published 2014)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Alienated by Melissa Landers
    Alienated (Alienated, #1)
    Release date: Jan 02, 2015
    SIGNED PAPERBACK EDITION!

"The perfect blend of sizzling romance, action, and suspense." -#1 NYT Bestselling Author Jennifer L Armentrout

To celebrate t…more
    Giveaway dates: Apr 13 - Jul 12, 2015
    1 copy available, 10269 people requesting
    Countries available: US, CA, and GB more
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Alienated, please sign up.

Fiona Yes, I hadn't either when I read this but I enjoyed it very much! It isn't in your face with the alien aspects
    YA Novels of 2014
    25th out of 1,502 books — 8,044 voters
    Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
    YA Debuts 2014
    2nd out of 373 books — 1,404 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Armentrout
    Where can I sign up for the L'eihr exchange program? With the right mix of sizzling omance, action, and suspense, ALIENATED is easily my favorite alien book to date. The chemistry between Cara and Aelyx oozes off the page. The blog bits were perfect and the research on human mating rituals? Ah, I laughed my bum off at that.
    Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
    Actual rating: 1.5
    “Your long, shiny hair, healthy skin, and bright eyes show that you’re well-nourished.”
    “Uh, thank you?”
    “You’re clearly intelligent.” Then he felt the need to add, “For a human.”
    “But Eric was probably most attracted to your waist-to-hip ratio.” For a split second, Aelyx resembled a human boy as he leaned back and peered at her caboose. “Hips of that width are likely to pass live offspring without complications.”
    Oh, please don't stop. I'm swooning already.

This book is not sci-f
    Melissa Landers
    May 21, 2015 Melissa Landers added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Shelves: 2k14
    Yeah...another update. We've sold audio rights! Look for the audio book online, or request it from your local library. :)

One more update: Readers have been emailing to ask if there is a sequel to ALIENATED. The answer is yes! It's called INVADED, and the release date is February 3, 2015. Whether or not Hyperion buys a third book in the series is dependent on sales, and as of now, it's too soon to say. Fingers crossed!

Last update: IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE! I hope you'll brave the cold we
    Sasha Alsberg
    THIS BOOK IS PERFECTION LOVED IT SO MUCH!
    Reading this early means such a LONG wait for the next book!
    LOVED A-LICKS! LOL I'm a L'annabe!

Cara Sweeney has been picked to take an exchange student from another planet. L'eihr wants to make an alliance with Earth and exchanging students is a great way for everyone to get to know each other and become more comfortable. Aelyx, pronounced A-licks, arrives but his differences make the transition difficult. He hates the food, all the colors and practically everything else. Cara makes an effort to
    Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠

Excuse me while I heal my eyes -

They've been rolling too much I fear.

This book does not have : Interesting characters

- Cara is a fucking bitch : Yes, you read correctly. I know, I know, she's supposed to be smart and strong and different but for real? She's selfish and conceited - damn, she's so full of it, being in her head was so maddening.

She's a bitch with the students she's tutoring :
    "Uhh," he began, "water is a, uhh, naturally occuring commodity, no different than, uhh, oil or natural g
    Giselle
    Alienated brings us a good mix of humor and romance. It's easy to read, and touches on serious themes including discrimination and tolerance. What I enjoyed the most was how Landers describes the aliens; from the physical to the emotional, they differ very much from humans. The L'eihr culture is described as emotionally cold for the sake of survival. They're cloned from the best, born and raised without parents, affection, or even touch. Their government system would make many of us fear their w ...more
    Dana
    THIS BOOK WAS CUTE. Cara & Aelyx are goals.
    I knew I'd really enjoy this because of my love of Aliens and everything to do with outer space adajflhsdfhj gAH.

Can't wait to get my hands on the next book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Danielle (Love at First Page)
    Did you know that Melissa Landers writes contemporary romance under the name Macy Beckett? It's true, and I’m a huge fan of those books. When I found out she’d be debuting a science fiction Young Adult series, Alienated immediately went to the top of my most anticipated list. Her romances are fun, flirty, and sexy, and I was eager to see how this would translate across genres. Alienated contains her usual wit and humor with an easy-to-root-for romance, and there's also an engaging mixture of flu ...more
    Ariana
    I think I fell in love just a bit ;))

From time to time I fall in love with a cover – hard, instantly – and I never recover from it. You don’t know how much I just love the Alienated cover and how perfect it is for the story!

The Good:

- Imagining aliens looking like us, a better version of us – smarter, better looking, more advanced in all different ways; for some reason I like this concept, I wouldn’t mind it to be true, LOL.
    There were many differences between humans and aliens in terms of livin
    Mary
    Alright ladies and gentleman, let's have a nice sit down right now because class is in session.

The topic for class today:

Wish Fulfillment Versus Realistic Characters

Today, we'll be looking at our main character Cara Sweeny. Cara is a state speech and debate champion (twice), valedictorian, someone with a 100% in Calculus, Honor Society President. She is also a part of the soccer team. And track team. And she's in chess club, along with volunteer tutoring, while keeping a weekend job. She also
    Faye, la Patata
    Filipino readers, you can read this book early! Head over to The Social Potato blog and fill up the rafflecopter form to get a chance to win an ARC of this beautiful novel. We're also giving away a Php 300 Fully Booked Giftcard on the blog!

International readers, you can also get a chance to snag a finished copy of this book via The Book Depository! If you win, we will pre-order for you, and you only need to wait until the release date to wait for your book to arrive! Head over to the blog now to
    Jana (The Book Goddess)
    As soon as I heard about ALIENATED, I was dying to get my hands on it. Since reading JLA's Lux series, I've been a massive fan of aliens and think there should be more of them in YA. Hurray for Alienated! This hilarious, light-hearted sci-fi story with passionate romance is definitely going on my Favorites list. It's got everything that you'd want in a story and the only thing that's not so great is that the release date won't be until February next year and I already need the sequel really bad. ...more
    Lainey
    3.75/5 or 4/5 I honestly can't decide which fits it more for me.

So many of my friends here on Booktube have recommended this book to me, and I am so glad I finally picked it up, especially after reading a lot of fantasy up until it. It was the fresh breath I needed with reading.

Cara is a bomb character. I really enjoyed the Debate Team aspect of her life, because I could really see that threaded through her character the entire storyline - I'm glad she didn't lose herself.

I liked Aelyx too. I a
    Jodi Meadows
    My official comments:

Intergalactic exchange students? Yes, please! I fell in love with this story and couldn't put it down.

My unofficial comments:

OMC. The hotness of some of those scenes. *fans self* (Also isn't that cover fantastic???)
    Lola
    First of all, let’s have a look at the beautiful cover. I mean seriously, look at the design and models. They’re amazing!

description

Almost seventeen Cara has it all; a boyfriend, a best friend, loving parents (which she complains about), beauty and perfect grades. When she’s assigned to host a L’eihr (Aelyx) for the intergalactic exchange program and has no choice but accepting, she knows a lot would change in her life. Except she never thought she could actually come to like the guy, or shall I say Alien?
    Irina
    Dec 07, 2014 Irina marked it as ebooks-to-read  ·  review of another edition
    2014?!
    adfghatfshdisysb
    DO. WANT. NOW.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TooManyFeelsToDeal
    Mar 17, 2013 TooManyFeelsToDeal marked it as to-read
    My thoughts.....

"Oh this sounds like an awesome book. Is it out yet?"
    *Looks at the release date.* February 4, 2014

My day has been ruined.
    Wendy Darling
    I...am not a fan. This book didn't work for me on any level, from the silly science to the cartoony characters to the broad humor to the painfully obvious romance. I basically enjoyed one scene in the book and that's it. And don't get me started on the whitewashed cover, ugh.

Our review discussion is up on the blog:
    Layla
    Dec 16, 2013 Layla rated it 2 of 5 stars
    Shelves: ya
    Alienated by Melissa Landers drew me in with its beautiful cover art. Seriously, guys, that cover art is really pretty and compelling: human Cara Sweeny (with fiery human emotions, a field of flowers, and lots of warm colors) gazes up into space at alien human Aelyx (cue the greys, tans, and browns, because he is emotionally distant, because his people bred emotion out of their human DNA, which was, shockingly, a terrible idea). But what was kind of distressing about Alienated is that everything ...more
    Celeste_pewter
    Jess
    This book was.......AMAZING! It was a fast-paced, alienish, action packed, mind-blowing novel! The characters were really really well developed because they were genuine and normal teens. Aelyx was a awesome alien from a different planet and Cara was a really cool, competitive teen who I got extremely attached to. Thank you to Sasha Alsberg (Abookutopia) for raving on about this book, because I might not of picked it up if I hadn't watched you channel! I rate this book a solid 5 stars!!
    Daniela
    This is my sixth sci-fi book of 2015 and it was a good surprise. I’ve seen this book in blogs and youtube videos so many times but never got interested in reading so, after reading an opinion of a friend, I finally decided to jump into it.

It wasn’t one of those very exciting books with a lot of action but overall it was a very satisfying read. It took me less than 24h to read this and just by that I can say that the writing style is very captivating and easy to read, I felt like I was only readi
    Taissa
    The first 100 pages were very slow,
    but after that it was funny and amazing!
    Loved this book.
    4/5 stars
    Lilyan (Little Yams)
    How would I describe this book?

The fist thing that comes to mind is: dumb.

This book was kinda stupid. I didn't really have high hopes, but it was still disappointing. My actual rating is around a 2.5 stars; the only reason I added a .5, is because this book was so ridiculous to the point that it was comical.

The writing was just so childish in places. SO MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS. I cannot express how annoying unnecessary exclamation points are.

Imagine if everyone wrote like this:

I went to the m
    Jaime Arkin
    I love Sci-Fi… when it’s done right. And Alienated by Melissa Landers hit every right note for me.

It’s been two years since the aliens contacted and the first ever L’eihr student exchange is happening. Cara Sweeney has been picked to host one of the four and she’s looking forward to finding out everything she can and sharing it via her blog. I have to say that I loved loved her blog posts … they were a wonderful addition to the story!

Humans and L'eihr’s have the same DNA but there are some def
    Gamze
    4,5

Daha sezonu tamamlayamadan iptal edilen dizi Star Crossed'u izleyenler bilir. Onda da aşağı yukarı bu tarz bir ikili var. Ben de kitabın 10-15 sayfasına kadarki kısmında o dizi ile ilişkilendirme havasındaydım. Ama diziyle alakası yok tabi :)
    Her neyse gelelim konuya.
    Uzaylılar günümüzden iki yıl önce insanlarla ilk iletişimini onlara kanser hücrelerini iyileştiren ilacı vererek kurarlar. Ama unutmayalım hiçbir iyilik karşılıksız değildir.
    Günümüze döndüğümüzde uzaylı-insanlar arasında bir öğre
    Jessica Florence
    First off, Let me say that Facebook actually brought me to this book. weird.. It recommended it to me since I liked the Luxen series and I figured meh what the hell. I think it's a little pricey for a kindle $9.99 Us. but I paid it because I wanted to read it so I guess in the end it didn't matter.

Good book, I like the premise that comes with it. Aliens have presented themselves. helped up etc. and are doing an exchange program to help their kind and humans get along.

Well as it goes for humans,
    Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

For all the hype that surrounded this novel (and especially the pretty cover) prior to its release, Alienated ended up being pretty unremarkable. In it, Melissa Landers focused on delivering three things: humor, romance and a strong message about diversity and tolerance. Unfortunately, even that proved to be too much for this debut author and in the end, only the strong anti-xenophobic message was successful.

The romance, no matter how well planned, cannot reach its full potential witho
    Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
    Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I can freely say that 2014 is a year of great expectations when it comes to YA lit. So many new authors and not to mention the sequels that we're waiting for. Alienated was one on my list and I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book.

Because as usual I don't read blurbs I expected this book to be about parallel universes or better said I had movie titled Upside Down in my head, but as soon as I cracked open this book I knew that we'd go the different wa
    YA Buddy Readers'...: Alienated by Melissa Landers - Restarting June 4th 2015 87 118 21 hours, 36 min ago
    Did anyone else not like this book? 1 21 Feb 06, 2015 09:45PM
    YA Today Book Club: Discussion # 28 - Alienated 3 12 Jan 29, 2015 11:16AM
    Genç Okurlar: ARALIK : Yabancı - Melissa Landers 1 16 Dec 15, 2014 11:33AM
    Clean Reads: Alienated by Meilissa Landers 5 41 Sep 25, 2014 09:35AM
    Chapters Kingston...: Alienated 2 7 Aug 06, 2014 06:36PM
    Help!! Looking for a great read! 2 27 Aug 05, 2014 05:37PM
    • Minders
    • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
    • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
    • Stitching Snow
    • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
    • Fates (Fates, #1)
    • Nil (Nil, #1)
    • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
    • Plus One
    • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    • Rush (The Game, #1)
    • Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1)
    • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
    • Now That You're Here (Duplexity #1)
    • Defy (Defy, #1)
    • The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark, #1)
    • Scan (Scan, #1)
    • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    Melissa Landers writes light, romantic sci-fi for teens and the young at heart. ALIENATED and INVADED are now available from Disney Hyperion, and the stand-alone novel, STARFLIGHT, will release February 2, 2016.

**IMPORTANT** Please do not request an ARC through Goodreads. All review copies are distributed by the publisher.
    More about Melissa Landers...

Alienated (2 books)
    • Invaded (Alienated, #2)
    Invaded (Alienated, #2) Until Midnight (Alienated, #1.5) Starflight Untitled (Starflight #2) Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology

“He prepared the richest, most indulgent and disgusting dish imaginable - a bowl of fudge ripple ice-cream topped with chocolate syrup, semi-sweet chocolate morsels, chocolate sprinkles, and, for good measure, a chocolate brownie from the pantry. He even garnished it with a handful of M&M's.

(...) "Look what I made for you. A bowl of diabetes.”
    66 likes
    “It's common knowledge that shiny rocks are preferred among human females.” 58 likes