Start by marking “Alienated (Alienated, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alienated (Alienated, #1)

Alienated (Alienated #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13,654 ratings  ·  2,325 reviews
Two years ago, the aliens made contact. Now Cara Sweeney is going to be sharing a bathroom with one of them.

Handpicked to host the first-ever L’eihr exchange student, Cara thinks her future is set. Not only does she get a free ride to her dream college, she’ll have inside information about the mysterious L’eihrs that every journalist would kill for. Cara’s blog following
Published February 4th 2014 by Disney Hyperion

Win a Copy of This Book

• Alienated by Melissa Landers
    Alienated (Alienated, #1)
    Release date: Jan 02, 2015
    SIGNED PAPERBACK EDITION!

"The perfect blend of sizzling romance, action, and suspense." -#1 NYT Bestselling Author Jennifer L Armentrout

To celebrate t…more
    Giveaway dates: Apr 13 - Jul 12, 2015
    1 copy available, 13943 people requesting
    Countries available: US, CA, and GB more
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Alienated, please sign up.

Melliott Read The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey instead. Or, if you're more ambitious, The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin. This is romance with an…moreRead The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey instead. Or, if you're more ambitious, The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin. This is romance with an alien overlay.(less)
    YA Novels of 2014
    25th out of 1,505 books — 8,178 voters
    Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
    YA Debuts 2014
    2nd out of 372 books — 1,418 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Armentrout
    Where can I sign up for the L'eihr exchange program? With the right mix of sizzling omance, action, and suspense, ALIENATED is easily my favorite alien book to date. The chemistry between Cara and Aelyx oozes off the page. The blog bits were perfect and the research on human mating rituals? Ah, I laughed my bum off at that.
    Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
    Actual rating: 1.5
    “Your long, shiny hair, healthy skin, and bright eyes show that you’re well-nourished.”
    “Uh, thank you?”
    “You’re clearly intelligent.” Then he felt the need to add, “For a human.”
    “But Eric was probably most attracted to your waist-to-hip ratio.” For a split second, Aelyx resembled a human boy as he leaned back and peered at her caboose. “Hips of that width are likely to pass live offspring without complications.”
    Oh, please don't stop. I'm swooning already.

This book is not sci-f
    Melissa Landers
    May 21, 2015 Melissa Landers added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Shelves: 2k14
    Yeah...another update. We've sold audio rights! Look for the audio book online, or request it from your local library. :)

One more update: Readers have been emailing to ask if there is a sequel to ALIENATED. The answer is yes! It's called INVADED, and the release date is February 3, 2015. Whether or not Hyperion buys a third book in the series is dependent on sales, and as of now, it's too soon to say. Fingers crossed!

Last update: IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE! I hope you'll brave the cold we
    Sasha Alsberg
    THIS BOOK IS PERFECTION LOVED IT SO MUCH!
    Reading this early means such a LONG wait for the next book!
    LOVED A-LICKS! LOL I'm a L'annabe!

Cara Sweeney has been picked to take an exchange student from another planet. L'eihr wants to make an alliance with Earth and exchanging students is a great way for everyone to get to know each other and become more comfortable. Aelyx, pronounced A-licks, arrives but his differences make the transition difficult. He hates the food, all the colors and practically everything else. Cara makes an effort to
    Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑

Excuse me while I heal my eyes -

They've been rolling too much I fear.

This book does not have : Interesting characters

- Cara is a fucking bitch : Yes, you read correctly. I know, I know, she's supposed to be smart and strong and different but for real? She's selfish and conceited - damn, she's so full of it, being in her head was so maddening.

She's a bitch with the students she's tutoring :
    "Uhh," he began, "water is a, uhh, naturally occuring commodity, no different than, uhh, oil or natural g
    Giselle
    Alienated brings us a good mix of humor and romance. It's easy to read, and touches on serious themes including discrimination and tolerance. What I enjoyed the most was how Landers describes the aliens; from the physical to the emotional, they differ very much from humans. The L'eihr culture is described as emotionally cold for the sake of survival. They're cloned from the best, born and raised without parents, affection, or even touch. Their government system would make many of us fear their w ...more
    Dana
    THIS BOOK WAS CUTE. Cara & Aelyx are goals.
    I knew I'd really enjoy this because of my love of Aliens and everything to do with outer space adajflhsdfhj gAH.

Can't wait to get my hands on the next book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AriaTheBookNerd
    "The simple truth is most people can't manage total freedom. They make poor use of it.

I buddy read this book with a couple of my girl friends I met here on gaoodreads and two who have finished earlier don't really like this book. One hated it more than the other. Hehe. (Hi Cam and Mel!) I was so expecting to actually hate this really. The first line of this book was enough to make me cringe and tell myself "oh no! what the hell did I just start reading??!. Surprisingly, I didn't hate this book
    Danielle (Love at First Page)
    Did you know that Melissa Landers writes contemporary romance under the name Macy Beckett? It's true, and I’m a huge fan of those books. When I found out she’d be debuting a science fiction Young Adult series, Alienated immediately went to the top of my most anticipated list. Her romances are fun, flirty, and sexy, and I was eager to see how this would translate across genres. Alienated contains her usual wit and humor with an easy-to-root-for romance, and there's also an engaging mixture of flu ...more
    Ariana
    I think I fell in love just a bit ;))

From time to time I fall in love with a cover – hard, instantly – and I never recover from it. You don’t know how much I just love the Alienated cover and how perfect it is for the story!

The Good:

- Imagining aliens looking like us, a better version of us – smarter, better looking, more advanced in all different ways; for some reason I like this concept, I wouldn’t mind it to be true, LOL.
    There were many differences between humans and aliens in terms of livin
    Mary
    Alright ladies and gentleman, let's have a nice sit down right now because class is in session.

The topic for class today:

Wish Fulfillment Versus Realistic Characters

Today, we'll be looking at our main character Cara Sweeny. Cara is a state speech and debate champion (twice), valedictorian, someone with a 100% in Calculus, Honor Society President. She is also a part of the soccer team. And track team. And she's in chess club, along with volunteer tutoring, while keeping a weekend job. She also
    Faye, la Patata
    Filipino readers, you can read this book early! Head over to The Social Potato blog and fill up the rafflecopter form to get a chance to win an ARC of this beautiful novel. We're also giving away a Php 300 Fully Booked Giftcard on the blog!

International readers, you can also get a chance to snag a finished copy of this book via The Book Depository! If you win, we will pre-order for you, and you only need to wait until the release date to wait for your book to arrive! Head over to the blog now to
    Jana (The Book Goddess)
    As soon as I heard about ALIENATED, I was dying to get my hands on it. Since reading JLA's Lux series, I've been a massive fan of aliens and think there should be more of them in YA. Hurray for Alienated! This hilarious, light-hearted sci-fi story with passionate romance is definitely going on my Favorites list. It's got everything that you'd want in a story and the only thing that's not so great is that the release date won't be until February next year and I already need the sequel really bad. ...more
    Jodi Meadows
    My official comments:

Intergalactic exchange students? Yes, please! I fell in love with this story and couldn't put it down.

My unofficial comments:

OMC. The hotness of some of those scenes. *fans self* (Also isn't that cover fantastic???)
    Lainey
    3.75/5 or 4/5 I honestly can't decide which fits it more for me.

So many of my friends here on Booktube have recommended this book to me, and I am so glad I finally picked it up, especially after reading a lot of fantasy up until it. It was the fresh breath I needed with reading.

Cara is a bomb character. I really enjoyed the Debate Team aspect of her life, because I could really see that threaded through her character the entire storyline - I'm glad she didn't lose herself.

I liked Aelyx too. I a
    Lola
    First of all, let’s have a look at the beautiful cover. I mean seriously, look at the design and models. They’re amazing!

description

Almost seventeen Cara has it all; a boyfriend, a best friend, loving parents (which she complains about), beauty and perfect grades. When she’s assigned to host a L’eihr (Aelyx) for the intergalactic exchange program and has no choice but accepting, she knows a lot would change in her life. Except she never thought she could actually come to like the guy, or shall I say Alien?
    Wendy Darling
    I...am not a fan. This book didn't work for me on any level, from the silly science to the cartoony characters to the broad humor to the painfully obvious romance. I basically enjoyed one scene in the book and that's it. And don't get me started on the whitewashed cover, ugh.

Our review discussion is up on the blog:
    Irina
    Dec 07, 2014 Irina marked it as ebooks-to-read  ·  review of another edition
    2014?!
    adfghatfshdisysb
    DO. WANT. NOW.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TooManyFeelsToDeal
    Mar 17, 2013 TooManyFeelsToDeal marked it as to-read
    My thoughts.....

"Oh this sounds like an awesome book. Is it out yet?"
    *Looks at the release date.* February 4, 2014

My day has been ruined.
    Layla
    Dec 16, 2013 Layla rated it 2 of 5 stars
    Shelves: ya
    Alienated by Melissa Landers drew me in with its beautiful cover art. Seriously, guys, that cover art is really pretty and compelling: human Cara Sweeny (with fiery human emotions, a field of flowers, and lots of warm colors) gazes up into space at alien human Aelyx (cue the greys, tans, and browns, because he is emotionally distant, because his people bred emotion out of their human DNA, which was, shockingly, a terrible idea). But what was kind of distressing about Alienated is that everything ...more
    Celeste_pewter
    Jess
    This book was.......AMAZING! It was a fast-paced, alienish, action packed, mind-blowing novel! The characters were really really well developed because they were genuine and normal teens. Aelyx was a awesome alien from a different planet and Cara was a really cool, competitive teen who I got extremely attached to. Thank you to Sasha Alsberg (Abookutopia) for raving on about this book, because I might not of picked it up if I hadn't watched you channel! I rate this book a solid 5 stars!!
    Lilyan (Little Yams)
    How would I describe this book?

The fist thing that comes to mind is: dumb.

This book was kinda stupid. I didn't really have high hopes, but it was still disappointing. My actual rating is around a 2.5 stars; the only reason I added a .5, is because this book was so ridiculous to the point that it was comical.

The writing was just so childish in places. SO MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS. I cannot express how annoying unnecessary exclamation points are.

Imagine if everyone wrote like this:

I went to the m
    Daniela
    This is my sixth sci-fi book of 2015 and it was a good surprise. I’ve seen this book in blogs and youtube videos so many times but never got interested in reading so, after reading an opinion of a friend, I finally decided to jump into it.

It wasn’t one of those very exciting books with a lot of action but overall it was a very satisfying read. It took me less than 24h to read this and just by that I can say that the writing style is very captivating and easy to read, I felt like I was only readi
    Taissa
    The first 100 pages were very slow,
    but after that it was funny and amazing!
    Loved this book.
    4/5 stars
    Çisem Yüksel
    L'efsane bir kitaptı :D

Kitap konu bakımından hakikatten de süperdi, anlatımı da ehh iyi denebilir. Tek bir karakterin ağzından anlatılsa daha güzel olabilirdi ama her iki karakteri de anlamış olduk böylece. O yüzden anlatıma da bir şey demiyorum ama sen neden bütün aksiyonu son 100 sayfaya koydun be kadın :D Kitap kendi halinde tıntın giderken bi anda her şey hareketleniverdi ve tam bir bilim-kurgu romanına dönüşüverdi.

Kitabı okurken öyle çok sıradışı bir şey yok gibi geliyor insana, sanki cid
    Jaime Arkin
    I love Sci-Fi… when it’s done right. And Alienated by Melissa Landers hit every right note for me.

It’s been two years since the aliens contacted and the first ever L’eihr student exchange is happening. Cara Sweeney has been picked to host one of the four and she’s looking forward to finding out everything she can and sharing it via her blog. I have to say that I loved loved her blog posts … they were a wonderful addition to the story!

Humans and L'eihr’s have the same DNA but there are some def
    Gillian

Rating: Cute, fluffy, funny sci-fi that made me giggle and swoon and carried some surprisingly deep messages. Not perfect, but who cares? I'm giggling and swooning.

Originally posted at Writer or Wrongs

I was not expecting this book to be as funny as it was. TO say I thoroughly enjoyed myself is an understatement, even though this book isn't as light as I thought it was. There was actually one moment that made me slam the book down and wail, "NOOOOOOO!" to poor Lili, who knew exactly whic
    Gamze
    4,5

Daha sezonu tamamlayamadan iptal edilen dizi Star Crossed'u izleyenler bilir. Onda da aşağı yukarı bu tarz bir ikili var. Ben de kitabın 10-15 sayfasına kadarki kısmında o dizi ile ilişkilendirme havasındaydım. Ama diziyle alakası yok tabi :)
    Her neyse gelelim konuya.
    Uzaylılar günümüzden iki yıl önce insanlarla ilk iletişimini onlara kanser hücrelerini iyileştiren ilacı vererek kurarlar. Ama unutmayalım hiçbir iyilik karşılıksız değildir.
    Günümüze döndüğümüzde uzaylı-insanlar arasında bir öğre
    YA Buddy Readers'...: Alienated by Melissa Landers - Restarting June 4th 2015 118 139 Jun 22, 2015 11:08PM
    Did anyone else not like this book? 1 25 Feb 06, 2015 09:45PM
    YA Today Book Club: Discussion # 28 - Alienated 3 12 Jan 29, 2015 11:16AM
    Genç Okurlar: ARALIK : Yabancı - Melissa Landers 1 17 Dec 15, 2014 11:33AM
    Clean Reads: Alienated by Meilissa Landers 5 42 Sep 25, 2014 09:35AM
    Chapters Kingston...: Alienated 2 7 Aug 06, 2014 06:36PM
    Help!! Looking for a great read! 2 28 Aug 05, 2014 05:37PM
    • Fates (Fates, #1)
    • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
    • Salvage
    • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
    • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
    • Plus One
    • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
    • Minders
    • The Taking (The Taking, #1)
    • The Wicked We Have Done (Chaos Theory, #1)
    • The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex, #1)
    • Nearly Gone (Nearly Gone, #1)
    • Tin Star (Tin Star, #1)
    • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
    • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
    • Hover (The Taking, #2)
    • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)
    Melissa Landers writes light, romantic sci-fi for teens and the young at heart. ALIENATED and INVADED are now available from Disney Hyperion, and the stand-alone novel, STARFLIGHT, will release February 2, 2016.

**IMPORTANT** Please do not request an ARC through Goodreads. All review copies are distributed by the publisher.
    More about Melissa Landers...

Alienated (2 books)
    • Invaded (Alienated, #2)
    Invaded (Alienated, #2) Until Midnight (Alienated, #1.5) Starflight (Starflight, #1) Untitled (Starflight #2) Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology

“He prepared the richest, most indulgent and disgusting dish imaginable - a bowl of fudge ripple ice-cream topped with chocolate syrup, semi-sweet chocolate morsels, chocolate sprinkles, and, for good measure, a chocolate brownie from the pantry. He even garnished it with a handful of M&M's.

(...) "Look what I made for you. A bowl of diabetes.”
    71 likes
    “It's common knowledge that shiny rocks are preferred among human females.” 65 likes