3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews

In the sequel to his best-selling Inflight Science, Brian Clegg offers a spectacular tour through the human body.

He explores mitochondria, in-cell powerhouses once separate creatures; how your eyes consume million-year-old photons of light; your many senses, which include the ability to detect warps in space and time; and why meeting an attractive person can turn you int

Published 2012 by Icon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Universe Inside You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Universe Inside You

Brendon Schrodinger
I like Brian Clegg's books.

Most of the critical reviews on this style of his books comes from people who say "Well I know all that" and try and be high and mighty about their intellect. You are not Brian's audience. But in a way I guess I am not Brian's audience either.

Through 'The Universe Inside You' Brian takes us on a journey into the cosmos and a journey into the atom by contextualising fundamental scientific principles to what people can observe and feel about their bodies. He used a simil...more
Book
The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain by Brian Clegg

“The Universe Inside You" is a very engaging and educational book that takes us on an exploration of science of our bodies. By using our body as a laboratory the author cleverly takes us to other realms of science and helps us gain a better understanding of the world around and in us. Popular science writer Brian Clegg, provides the reader with a fun and interesting way...more
Amanda Patterson
This book is the perfect gift for people who want to explore science without being bored by academic jargon.
Clegg uses the human body as a vehicle for exploring science. Parts of the book are literally about the body, but the author links it to the larger world of science. For example, Clegg follows a photon of light from a star to your eye, and teaches you about cosmology and quantum theory.
The book is broken down into subjects such as vision, digestion, sensory perception, reproduction, and t...more
Ali
Well, that was disappointing. Maybe I have unreasonably high expectations in my popsci tastes, cultivated by the likes of About Time (Adam Frank) and We Need to Talk About Kelvin (Marcus Chown). Maybe it was because none of the information presented was new to me. I do think this book would be great for younger readers, to get them interested in nonfiction, as it presents a great skim about a lot of different sciencey subjects.

The title, alas, promises more than it can provide. Because each subj...more
Dor
I bought this book in the hope I'd learn something about about biology and the human body; instead I got a book which uses the human body as a jumping off point to talk about other things: atoms and quantum physics and what happens to a helium balloon in a braking car (it heads towards the rear of the car because deceleration is acceleration in the opposite direction, and acceleration is the same as gravity, and the helium is lighter than air so heads away from gravity (or something), hence anyb...more
Martin Waterhouse
A great concept but unfortunately the Human Body aspect is crowbarred in and this turned out to be a rather regular pop science exploration of the usual topics found in countless other books. It's well written, and a very easy read, but one for a younger reader I think.
Jackie
As someone who is interested in science, but didn't "get it" at school, I found this to be a really good introduction to some very complex ideas.
Brian Clegg has a writing "voice" that I found appealing. His sense of humour comes across, but never at the expense of imparting information.
I will admit to still not "getting" certain things covered here, but I feel a step closer to understanding and confident that I can field some of my child's questions about why things are and how they work.
Gary West
An insightful must read that provokes a sense of wonder and leaves you wanting to delve deeper into the mysteries it covers.
Lucus
The Universe Inside You is a great book. It takes you through your body and uses it to explain many other things in science, like light and the universe itself. I enjoyed the writing and the facts, although I must say the contents don't need to be that long. An excellent read for young scientists.
Tim
Some interesting facts, but I found the book a little bland...
Roddy
A reasonably good romp through various science subjects but not a book about the science of the body. The title and "vehicle" for the book is a bit contrived.
Vikky
This science book didn't just cover anatomy, it covered a small part of all the sciences and in a language I could understand! Always a bonus :)
Kristyan
an excellent book if you want to brush up on science. some very good points made and is a good read for any age
gargravarr
I thought this was interesting, but I'm a sucker for facts of most sorts.
Catherine
Nothing like what I expected and am quite disappointed
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Mark Bilton
Mark Bilton marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Astrid Valat
Astrid Valat marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
alba
alba marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Euwora Lala
Euwora Lala marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Conrad Akunga
Conrad Akunga marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Mingyi Chen
Mingyi Chen marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief
  • The Ego Trick: In Search Of The Self
  • The Weather of the Future
  • My Beautiful Genome: Exposing Our Genetic Future, One Quirk at a Time
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • Wonders of Life: Exploring the Most Extraordinary Phenomenon in the Universe
  • We Need to Talk about Kelvin: What Everyday Things Tell Us about the Universe
  • Creation: How Science Is Reinventing Life Itself
  • The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution
  • Neurophilosophy: Toward a Unified Science of the Mind/Brain
  • The Belief Instinct: The Psychology of Souls, Destiny, and the Meaning of Life
  • Science and Human Behavior
Brian Clegg has a degree in natural sciences from Cambridge and a masters in Operational Research. He spent seventeen years with British Airways, where he formed a new department tasked with developing hi-tech solutions for the airline, and now speaks throughout the world on business and science-related topics.

He is the author of several popular science titles, including Inflight Science, The God...more
More about Brian Clegg...
A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable Inflight Science: A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe How to Build a Time Machine: The Real Science of Time Travel