Start by marking “Obsidian (Lux, #1)” as Want to Read:
Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Obsidian (Lux #1)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  134,126 ratings  ·  12,471 reviews
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get a
ebook, 1st edition, 316 pages
Published November 2011 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Obsidian, please sign up.

Marissa Garrison Every paranormal romance/fantasy book is going to have similarities to Twilight. You know why? Because Twilight is in that genre! I have read Twilight…moreEvery paranormal romance/fantasy book is going to have similarities to Twilight. You know why? Because Twilight is in that genre! I have read Twilight and while in the beginning there are similarities; this book is nothing like Twilight. For one it's actually a decent, well thought out story and the main character Katy is actually likable! She's not an annoying damsel in distress like Bella, she actually has a bark to her bite. She quickly became one of my favorite protagonists. The Lux series is wonderful, please do not compare it to the trash in Twilight. Jennifer Armentrout can actually write.(less)
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisHush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Male characters we're very glad aren't real
17th out of 44 books — 92 voters
Bared to You by Sylvia DayStuck in Between by Blakely BennettReflected in You by Sylvia DayBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Hottest Erotic Heroes
49th out of 150 books — 186 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Armentrout
Sep 10, 2011 Jennifer Armentrout rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Since I wrote it, I kind of think it deserves 5 stars. =)
Sasha Alsberg
Aliens, hot aliens? DAEMON BLACK???? YES PLEASE!
Loved this book, read it in 2012 but decided to come back and write a review for it. This is actually the book that made me start book blogging!
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by

“I have a strange idea that I should test this out.”
“Test what?” My eyes dropped to his lips. I felt myself sway.
“I think you would like to know.” He moved closer, his hand sliding up my arm and resting carefully at the nape of my neck.

Image Hosted by

Well, now I know why this series is so popular :)
It took me one scene, meeting Daemon, to completely fall in love with him/the book. And it just got better and better! I literally couldn't stop reading and ended up finishing it in the same day I started.
Well tha
Emily May
Not long ago, someone I know got into a really bad relationship. It was the kind of relationship where the guy was a pretty-faced douchebag who would tell her he loved her one minute and the next he would be making snide remarks about her weight and about her career, or standing her up when they were supposed to be going somewhere. But the worst part of this relationship wasn't him, it was my friend.

Everyone she knew, including me, warned her away from him, told her he was bad and that she dese
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
All my ratings have been pretty high lately, mostly because I choose very carefully what to read next. I value my time too much to purposely read books I know I won’t like. So what on earth possessed me to pick up this book after the Half-Blood debacle, I have no idea.

Most of my friends loved Obsidian and I respect that, I really do. I can even see why, the ingredients are all there: a gorgeous, mean guy and a plain, book-nerdish girl, a love-hate relationship between our protagonists, hero’s p
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 (I think? Geez, I don't know! I just know I liked it a lot, okay?)

Wow. I did not expect to enjoyObsidian as much as I did. For some reason, I've just been avoiding it, but it was always there in my Twitter and GoodReads feeds. Daemon was frickin' invading my life. Finally, after seeing everyone change their avatars to the Lux series' covers, I felt I had to check it out. Almost all of my friends have given this book anywhere from 3-5 stars, but most averaging around 4. So natu

One of the best books I have ever read and also the best series starter I know.

I have read this series and I must say it gets better and better.But believe me it starts GREAT.The story is interesting and keeps you thrilled the whole time.The characters are smoky cool.I could relate so much to this book (beside the alien thing).

Me while reading the book :

“You look like you got more of a bath than the car. I never
thought washing a car would be so hard, but after watching
Don't mind me doing my happy dance...

This Valentines Day I fell in Love with Jennifer L. Armentrout. I had been hearing through the grapevine about JLA an one particular grape has been rather loud about her work. So with all the faith that Kay @ K-books knows what she is talking about I picked up Obsidian first chance I had to read one of "my choice" reads. And now I can officially jump on Ms. Armentrout's space ship and enthusiastically follow her anywhere...

I am not usually a big sci-f
Kat O'Keeffe
Sweet. Baby. Jesus.

Picked this book up at 1 AM and read it straight through until 6 AM. A funny, entertaining, and very addicting read. (I'm totally exhausted after staying up late to finish this, but I ain't even mad.)

I loved the take on aliens, and the characters are so feisty and fun! It's one of those "new girl moves to town and falls in with a group of non-humans lead by a gorgeous yet douchey guy" kind of stories, but Katy is a really refreshing main character. She's snarky and can stand u

"If she was mine, I'd cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now."

After hearing nothing but positive things about this series, I thought it was about time I'd give it a try myself to find out what all the hype was about and WOW... I'm SO GLAD I finally started it!!! There was never a dull moment in this first part of the series and once I got into the story, I ended up devouring it! I'm pretty sure this will quickly become my new favorite YA series once I continue wit
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
I want to believe.

I really do. Just following the news these days is enough to make one lose faith in humanity. I really want to believe that there is something out there, god, gods, whatever. Aliens. ANYTHING. I want to feel like there are other creatures out there in this vast universe of ours, with greater knowledge, greater intelligence, and maybe one day they'll grace us with their presence and bestow on us their superior intellect.

I certainly hope those future aliens are more intelligent t
Kat Stark

So this book has every peeve you can possibly think of: TSTL, Mary Sue, Instalove, Cliches...fucking Romance taking over the whole plot.

Daemon was irritating.

Katy was irritating.

The plot--which consisted of “fighting against attraction”--was irritating.

The nonsensical worldbuilding was irritating.

The dialogue was okay but also irritating.

The writing wasn’t too shabby, because JLA is a unicorn, but for the sake of this could have been irritating.

That’s like a million “irritatings,” so
Kat Kennedy
Whilst I was aware of this novel before Stephanie read and reviewed it, it didn’t strike me as something that I needed to read until that point. There are many unfavourable comparisons to Twilight floating around. This is not an invalid point.

-6 inhuman teenagers who pretend to be siblings – 1) the love interest (Edward/Daemon) 2) the delicate best friend of the protagonist (Alice/Dee) 3) The bitch sister who doesn’t approve (Rosalie/Ash) 4+5) Background dudes who we don’t see a lot of – one of

“So the dickhead had a name. Daemon—seemed fitting.”

What do you get when you combine a shy girl from Florida and a sexy, arrogant next door neighbor?

What do I think about this book?

[image error]

fangirl gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Okay! I think that shows just about how much I love this book! And how absolutely crazy I am of it but at first I didn’t really feel that way towards it.

A lot of my goodreads friends recommended this book to me but I was like “Oh no! Aliens?”. Then I saw a lot of
First, a caveat: I did not enjoy this book. The following is my honest opinion, however I mean no disrespect to those of my friends who liked it.

Just to be clear, I approached Obsidian optimistically, looking for something fun and entertaining to read. Because hot alien spells fun, am I right? Particularly on the heels of a couple of quite emotionally taxing books.

Well, apparently I should have checked myself before I wrecked myself, and paid heed to those little warning bells in the synopsis:
Abbi Glines
Oh WOW! That's all I've got. Well that and you MUST read this.
Ok, I have to gather my thoughts now, because this book has blown my mind! I absolutely loved it! This is my first book by Jennifer, but it definitely won't be my last. I will now stalk all of her work - beware! There is no wonder she has been getting rave reviews so far.

Obsidian gets us acquainted with Katy, who has just moved to a boring small town in West Virginia, and with not-so-boring Daemon who is the most arrogant human being she has ever met. And, lucky her (seriously! lucky her!), he l
WOW just WOW~! O_O bye! i need to go read it again!

Full review at
Okay so I waited for this book forever! I finally got it and read it non stop! It was amazing. I loved everything about it. The story line, plot, the idea of aliens, the characters, the romance and all the hilarious conversations between Daemon and Katy! LOL ;)

It was kind of sad about the whole situation with Dawson (Daemon's brother). I can't wait to find out his story. I just wish he comes back with Bethany somehow. My fave part about the book was the first conversation Daemon and Katy have. I
sunset shimmer
Long story short, hate Daemon, love Katy. That's pretty much it.
Juliana Zapata
Maravilloso, espléndido, increíble. Me encantó este libro, ame las historia y los personajes. Tiene un ritmo perfecto, la fluidez de las escenas es maravillosa. Estoy completamente enamorada de Damon y del concepto de Lux. Espero leer muy pronto el siguiente libro.

Totalmente recomendado

Reseña Completa:
Christine Riccio
I had so much fun reading this, i just posted my full review/booktalk: =)
Annie Brewer
So after reading Obsidian, Jennifer was nice enough to write an extra with Daemon's point of view of a couple of awesome chapters that was at the end in my nook. I gotta say, this was more exciting than reading Obsidian. I have always been in favor of stories being in the guys' POV, I feel we get more out of it than in the girl's perspective. Oh. My. God. This was incredible. I understood him so much better as to why he is such a douche bag half the time. I loved being inside his head and seeing ...more
Kristin (KC)
*Reread with the Button! ;)*

I loved this book! I was completely captivated from its angsty start to its sexy finish. Thankfully, book two is available because that cliffhanger would have been brutal...

For a moment, all I could do was stare at him. He was probably the hottest guy I'd ever seen in real life, and he was a total douche. Go figure.

When Katy moves to her new home, her gorgeous and mysterious neighbor, Daemon, is anything but welcoming. In fact, he appears to despise her for simply b
Jun 17, 2012 oliviasbooks rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls crazy about bad boys and supernatural jerks. Fans of "Evermore" and "Hush Hush"
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: ~Tina~
2.5 stars altogether. *** There will be spoilers. But then I have surely been the last girl on the planet to read this book. So what? ***
”His gaze lingered on my face, and warmth blossomed in my belly. ‘Maybe I’m just curious why she is so enamoured. Dee doesn’t take well to strangers. None of us do.’”
This quote is extracted from one of the 'friendlier' scenes in Jennifer L. Armentrout’s young adult paranormal series starter Obsidian, which openly celebrates the hotness factor of supernatural je
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy read with the BBB gang starting ending March 16, 2015.

Yes people I have done it. This is me DNFing a book at 3%. And you know what? I don't care. This book packs so many clichés in only 5 pages that it should be outlawed.

Perfect Daddy who died too young. Obviously.
Gorgeous Mommy with "glorious hair and sparkling eyes" (she even looks good in head to toe polka dots so drop dead gorgeous she must be).
Gorgeous Mommy deals with Perfect Daddy's death by working non-stop. And by relocating t
Aestas Book Blog

4.5+ stars!

I’ll be honest here, I didn’t think I was going to love a book about aliens. That’s why I put off starting this book for so long. Its not that I had anything against them, I just wasn’t sure if they were my ‘thing’, you know?? I was wrong. Horribly wrong. They are SO my thing. Well, at least Daemon is. Holy hotness. He’s just… *fans self*… seriously for a YA book the sexual tension is just out of CONTROL!! I mean wow! I totally loved it!! Honestly, I have no complaint
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Good Cop, Bad Cop revision - March 2012

1. I only consider spoilers to be major plot reveals - some examples would be : a character death, who a girl chooses in a love triangle, or how a book ends. Random plot points do not count as spoilers to me, so please expect some in the review ahead.
2. Normally, I do not go into reviews looking to compare one book to another. The reason I was a bit more anal about comparisons for this book is because I have been burned before by another of this author's bo
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)

WOW! I can't believe I waited so long to start this series. I loved this book, I loved the characters, and I loved the plot. Great start to a great series.

Note: I have to say, after reading Obsession, I'm not sure who the bad guys are–the Luxen or the Arum. I love both Daemon and Hunter. Maybe they'll team up and work together! Fingers crossed.
●▪•Divine Apple•▪●
I have wanted to read this book for a long time, and I'm glad I did. This book surprised me in a lot of ways. I loved Katy and Daemon and I can't wait to read the next book. The love- hate-love relationship, between Daemon and Katy, is to die for. I was hooked at the first page.
Heriones: Chapter Two 2 2 3 hours, 42 min ago
MOVIE! Actors? DAEMON BLACK 23 228 Nov 25, 2015 09:32AM
Pinterest Books : Obsidian (Lux #1) 24 6 Nov 22, 2015 12:17AM
Crazy for Young A...: Pair 6: Justyna and Natalia (December 2015) 13 107 Nov 18, 2015 10:28AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Restarting December 10th 2015 138 180 Nov 05, 2015 12:10PM
All The Right Books: Obsidian [Lux, #1] (November BOTM) 4 6 Nov 05, 2015 06:30AM
  • Avow (The Archers of Avalon, #3)
  • Accordance (Significance, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Toxic (Denazen, #2)
  • Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2)
  • Intuition (The Premonition, #2)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Endless Magic (Star-Crossed, #4)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)

To email me, please use the below addy.

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...

Lux (5 books)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Opposition (Lux, #5)

9 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” 2891 likes
“Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
"Well, you're doing a great job.”