Start by marking “Forever Young: with audio recording” as Want to Read:
Forever Young: with audio recording

Forever Young: with audio recording

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Since it first appeared on the 1974 album Planet Waves, “Forever Young” has been one of Bob Dylan’s most beloved songs. Now award-winning artist Paul Rogers gives us a new interpretation of the lyrics. With images inspired by classic Dylan songs and pieces of his life, this is a bold and touching tribute, with audio, to an anthem whose message ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published September 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Young

Scope
A huge part of how successful a book is depends on its audience. When a book can speak to a particular child at a particular time in their life, the results can be meaningful. “Forever Young” ain’t speaking to the little ones, but to an older audience who is both familiar with Bob Dylan’s music and understands the book’s message that youth is something to be cherished.

The story begins with a street performer handing an acoustic guitar to a young listener. This unnamed, blond haired boy takes the
Ryan
Forever Young is a song that Dylan wrote for his children "not wanting to be too sentimental." He fails miserably, as the song is poignant and a wonderful lesson to children of any age.

The book is wonderful and is obviously written by a huge Dylan fan. The page illustrations are filled with references to Dylan and his songs, popular and obscure, and a partial page-by-page guide exists in the back. The illustrations are a lot of fun and loosely tell Dylan's story, or perhaps the story of any musi
Fred
This is a beautiful book. My six year old loved it. He enjoyed the pictures and my explanations of them, and seemed mesmerized by the lyrics which double as the words to this book. He decided the boy in the book is Bob Dylan himself. When we were done we listened to the song Forever Young and some other Dylan songs, and now my son does a great Bob Dylan impression that makes him, and all who hear, giggle.
York
Una de las canciones más bellas de Bob Dylan convertida en cuento infantil, con ilustraciones de Paul Rogers. Indispensable para fans de Dylan, ideal para leer a los niños, o también uno ya de adulto, antes de ir a la cama.
Catherine Woodman
Now, as a Dylan fan for 2/3 my lifetime, I was pre- disposed to liking this book--it is the lyrics to Forever Young, and illustrated. The pictures are ok--that is the disappointing part--though they do have alot of historical significance (and if you missed it as you read through the book, the appendix at the end details why every picture is significant and why). I think if you knew someone who was a huge Dylan fan who had a baby, this would be a cute present, but on pure literary value, I would ...more
Jill
This book is bound to appeal to both children and adults, especially adults who are fans of Bob Dylan.

The book features the lyrics of Bob Dylan’s song, “Forever Young,” which first appeared in 1974 on Dylan’s album “Planet Waves.”

The illustrator, Paul Rogers, uses his ink and acrylic pictures to recreate important events from Dylan’s life, as well as to highlight historical moments and cultural artifacts from the 1960’s and 1970’s.

These moments aren’t really identified as such, however. Rathe
This is a story about growing up and staying true to yourself and your convictions. It follows a Bob Dylan character through out his life where he is given a guitar and travels with it making music and participating in life. The book actually is good for teaching morals and the ideals that a child should strive for.

The text feels like advice being passed down from an older person to a younger. The idea behind the book is to hand off your knowledge so that person can grow and learn more. In the
Bree
What a great song! Helps encourage us to become better people. The illustrations are beautiful and interesting and make you want to learn more about the man who wrote the song. The last pages of the book are footnotes on what interesting things we should be getting out of each of the illustrations. Very beautiful.
Lauren
This picture book is my happy place.
Pete daPixie
A very old friend of mine sent me this book for my last birthday.
'Forever Young' is a set of illustrations by Paul Rogers, a Californian artist, published 2008.
This is a delightful collection for any Dylan fan. There is a line from the song Forever Young on each page that becomes the theme for Rogers' art. Each drawing contains clever little hidden references to
Bob Dylan and the sixties era.
e.g. May your wishes all come true page shows a Woody Guthrie lp by the record player and the cat asleep o
Megan
Oct 30, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, music lovers
Recommended to Megan by: Kiersten
This amazing book, illustrated by Paul Rogers and written by Bob Dylan, will change the way you view children's literature forever.

The story is merely the lyrics from one of Bob Dylan's most famous songs, Forever Young, but the illustrations are really what transcend this book to greatness. With extreme attention to detail, Paul Rogers takes us to Bob Dylan's New York City of the 1960's. Everywhere we see changes. The music scene is undergoing a radical transformation. There is political unrest.
Destiny
I love this song and think that it has a great message for students. I loved the picture and the ideas of being young. Young kids do things when they think about. When they think someone needs help they do it because they don't have any social hold up. We need to be like that. We need to help kids see that they can keep that spirit of being young.
Kcodd92
Forever Young by Bob Dylan is based on the old song forever young. The book is mainly the lyrics to the song which are telling you to be a good person. Some things mentioned are may you always do for others and lets others do for you, may you always be courageous stand upright and strong. The book shows pictures of people protesting to stop war and signing petitions to help save the earth.
I would say this book is for primary age range. The words are simple and the book isn't very long. The child
Keris
Really loved this. (Only lost a mark for repetition of 'forever young' in the text, which is a) hard to read and b) not actually from the lyrics.) Read it at a friend's house, but will be getting our own copy asap.
Taril Slater
I like how this book was lyrics from a song that was made into a book. It just goes to show that country songs really do tell stories. I like the message and think I will be forever young after reading this.
Julianna
This book was really cool and sweet, and I like the way that it ended, but I don't think it will make as much sense to a kid who as never heard the song before. Lovely pictures though.
Joelene
The words of Bob Dylan in a beautifully illustrated book. Gave to my son for HS graduation - we both cried!
Valerie
"Forever Young" is probably my favortie Dylan song. This is a childrene's book that adults will appreciate! The illustrations are wonderful. I will confess that I read (studied the illustrations is more accurate) this book 3 times at the bookstore while waiting for my teenager who was listening to some bands at a club! At the end of the book I discovered that there was a list of the illustrations with meanings behind many of them - like the pile of Woodie Guthrie records in one (he was a major i ...more
Crysta Xue
not a bad book at all. In fact it is very nice, but I felt lost. I wished I knew the song better.
Alexander
My daddy is huge Bob Dylan fan (fanatic? obsessive?), and he loves reading Mr. Dylan's three books to me. He'd probably give this book a five, but I like the other ones better. The drawing's are great, and adult fans of Dylan can search through the pictures to find Dylan Easter eggs and references.

Unfortunately, this book does NOT have a CD containing the song on it (the other two do). Also, we think the chorus in the book should have been changed to match the alternate version of the song, tak
Miri
I quite liked the illustrations here, and not knowing most of the references has shamed me into possibly finally getting my hands on some Bob Dylan (I don't even know the titular song, but have had the Alphaville song in my head since this afternoon when I saw this on the shelf). There's a little bit of the this-book-has-an-agenda feel to it, but then again, if you're a fan of Bob Dylan you probably already knew what it'd be like. And hey—personally, it's an agenda I am totally on board with.
kate and lexi
I often sing "Forever Young" to my girls. As kids familiar with the song, they LOVED this book, the illustrations are beautiful and interesting, and I imagine they will continue to enjoy seeing all the nuances in them as they grow. The text is such a lovely sentiment for parents or other loved ones to share with children and I see this book as one we will continue to enjoy for a long time, and that will make it in the "save for future grandchildren" box.
Kristin
With wonderfully detailed illustrations and the lyrics to one of Dylan's most meaningful songs, this is truly a treasure. I think parents will love the historical detail and "hidden" meanings in the illustrations, and sharing this books with a child is a great bonding experience. This is not a book a preschooler is going to beg you to read over and over, but parents will enjoy sharing it with their children.
Bobby
I don't think this really qualifies as a kid's picture book. I have a suspicion that most copies of this book are going to be purchased for Dylan fans or graduating high school seniors (think Oh the Places You Will Go). The illustrations are chock full of important Dylan biographical images with explanations at the end. Interesting idea, just doesn't work well with this particular song and the format.
K
I actually don't know the song well enough to remember more than a fragment of the tune. I picked it up after seeing it at a bookstore because of the peace activism depicted in the illustrations, and I like reading books to my daughter books that sound like blessings right before she goes to sleep. Now I need to hunt down a recording of the song...
Dayna
If you are a Dylan fan run out and get this book for a child in your life (or yourself) this is a great book! The illustrations are so much fun and do a great job of bringing Dylan's word to life. The back liner page even tells you about the illustrations on each page.

If you are not a Dylan fan the lyrics are still a great message for kids!
Lukasz
A beautifully illustrated children's book to one of Dylan's greatest songs! It is filled with drawings from various points of Dylan's life along with all the characters that peopled his career to the words of the song "Forever Young." Beautifully done!
Dee
Sep 21, 2008 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Dylan fan. A must have for any collection.
Recommended to Dee by: Amanda Hopper
Shelves: children-s-books
The man is all that. Great illustrations with plenty of little odds and ends to keep any Dylan fan busy. It's like finding Waldo. Loved it and plan to keep this one in mint condition to pass down to my children. Dylan rock on forever.
Christina
This is one of the best children's books I've read. Although I don't have kids, I am constantly buying books for my nephew and my "neices." This one I bought for my nephew and cried at the bookstore. The illustrations are also awesome.
  • This Land is Your Land
  • Gate 7, Volume 3 (Gate 7, #3)
  • Subway
  • Creature
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Tough Chicks
  • Farfallina & Marcel
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
  • The Ballad of Bob Dylan
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • The Boys
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
Bob Dylan (born Robert Allen Zimmerman) is an American singer-songwriter, author, musician, poet, and, of late, disc jockey who has been a major figure in popular music for five decades. Much of Dylan's most celebrated work dates from the 1960s, when he became an informal chronicler and a reluctant figurehead of American unrest. A number of his songs, such as "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times T ...more
More about Bob Dylan...
Chronicles, Vol. 1 Tarantula The Essential Interviews Lyrics: 1962-2001 Lyrics, 1962-1985