Start by marking “Forever Young: with audio recording” as Want to Read:
Forever Young: with audio recording

Forever Young: with audio recording

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Since it first appeared on the 1974 album Planet Waves, “Forever Young” has been one of Bob Dylan’s most beloved songs. Now award-winning artist Paul Rogers gives us a new interpretation of the lyrics. With images inspired by classic Dylan songs and pieces of his life, this is a bold and touching tribute, with audio, to an anthem whose message will always stay forever youn ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published September 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Young

Scope
Jan 01, 2009 Scope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A huge part of how successful a book is depends on its audience. When a book can speak to a particular child at a particular time in their life, the results can be meaningful. “Forever Young” ain’t speaking to the little ones, but to an older audience who is both familiar with Bob Dylan’s music and understands the book’s message that youth is something to be cherished.

The story begins with a street performer handing an acoustic guitar to a young listener. This unnamed, blond haired boy takes the
Ryan
Nov 24, 2013 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forever Young is a song that Dylan wrote for his children "not wanting to be too sentimental." He fails miserably, as the song is poignant and a wonderful lesson to children of any age.

The book is wonderful and is obviously written by a huge Dylan fan. The page illustrations are filled with references to Dylan and his songs, popular and obscure, and a partial page-by-page guide exists in the back. The illustrations are a lot of fun and loosely tell Dylan's story, or perhaps the story of any musi
York
Dec 13, 2014 York rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las canciones más bellas de Bob Dylan convertida en cuento infantil, con ilustraciones de Paul Rogers. Indispensable para fans de Dylan, ideal para leer a los niños, o también uno ya de adulto, antes de ir a la cama.
Catherine Woodman
Now, as a Dylan fan for 2/3 my lifetime, I was pre- disposed to liking this book--it is the lyrics to Forever Young, and illustrated. The pictures are ok--that is the disappointing part--though they do have alot of historical significance (and if you missed it as you read through the book, the appendix at the end details why every picture is significant and why). I think if you knew someone who was a huge Dylan fan who had a baby, this would be a cute present, but on pure literary value, I would ...more
Olivia
Aug 14, 2015 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
For some reason beyond me, my son is obsessed with Bob Dylan. He first came across him in a guitar encyclopedia and wouldn’t let us flip away from the page about Dylan’s Martin guitar. We now listen to Dylan in the car non-stop, and for a 2 year old, my son does a pretty good impression of Blowing in the Wind. So, when I pulled this book out of the shelves in the library, I was beyond excited to read it to him.

Not only has he memorized the song at this point, but so have I! This is one of those
Jill
Nov 29, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is bound to appeal to both children and adults, especially adults who are fans of Bob Dylan.

The book features the lyrics of Bob Dylan’s song, “Forever Young,” which first appeared in 1974 on Dylan’s album “Planet Waves.”

The illustrator, Paul Rogers, uses his ink and acrylic pictures to recreate important events from Dylan’s life, as well as to highlight historical moments and cultural artifacts from the 1960’s and 1970’s.

These moments aren’t really identified as such, however. Rathe
Mar 12, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2014
This is a story about growing up and staying true to yourself and your convictions. It follows a Bob Dylan character through out his life where he is given a guitar and travels with it making music and participating in life. The book actually is good for teaching morals and the ideals that a child should strive for.

The text feels like advice being passed down from an older person to a younger. The idea behind the book is to hand off your knowledge so that person can grow and learn more. In the
Fred
Feb 08, 2015 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book. My six year old loved it. He enjoyed the pictures and my explanations of them, and seemed mesmerized by the lyrics which double as the words to this book. He decided the boy in the book is Bob Dylan himself. When we were done we listened to the song Forever Young and some other Dylan songs, and now my son does a great Bob Dylan impression that makes him, and all who hear, giggle.

And the painful lumps in the throat reading this gave me. Wow.
Bree
What a great song! Helps encourage us to become better people. The illustrations are beautiful and interesting and make you want to learn more about the man who wrote the song. The last pages of the book are footnotes on what interesting things we should be getting out of each of the illustrations. Very beautiful.
Erin Brockway
Mar 02, 2015 Erin Brockway rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book takes lyrics from one of his songs and puts it into words that young children can understand. Throughout the book it discusses important issues such as love and respect, but the main idea of this book is to follow your dreams. The illustrations help to show these concepts and they also represent other songs, albums and things that happened in Bob Dylan's life, as described at the end of the book. I would use this book to help teach children about love and respect, not only for themselv ...more
Lauren
Feb 08, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-the-children
This picture book is my happy place.
Pete daPixie
May 22, 2011 Pete daPixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poptastic, art
A very old friend of mine sent me this book for my last birthday.
'Forever Young' is a set of illustrations by Paul Rogers, a Californian artist, published 2008.
This is a delightful collection for any Dylan fan. There is a line from the song Forever Young on each page that becomes the theme for Rogers' art. Each drawing contains clever little hidden references to
Bob Dylan and the sixties era.
e.g. May your wishes all come true page shows a Woody Guthrie lp by the record player and the cat asleep o
Megan
Oct 30, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, music lovers
Recommended to Megan by: Kiersten
This amazing book, illustrated by Paul Rogers and written by Bob Dylan, will change the way you view children's literature forever.

The story is merely the lyrics from one of Bob Dylan's most famous songs, Forever Young, but the illustrations are really what transcend this book to greatness. With extreme attention to detail, Paul Rogers takes us to Bob Dylan's New York City of the 1960's. Everywhere we see changes. The music scene is undergoing a radical transformation. There is political unrest.
Chelsea C
Feb 29, 2016 Chelsea C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this as a birthday gift for a two-year-old whose mother loves Bob Dylan. She loves reading it to him, and the words are simple and easy for him to sit and listen to. I love the illustrations and the message of the book, and the back of the book has a description of each picture in the book, which is for the adults reading the book, and very interesting. I would buy this just to have a copy for myself and I don't even have kids. Great message.
Art
May 26, 2016 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, music, read-in-2016
Bob Dylan turned seventy-five yesterday. May he and we stay forever young.

This book takes a more literal interpretation of the song than does the more impressionistic paintings in "If not for You."

Warning: Read this book only when you wear headphones while playing the song by Dylan, the Soweto Gospel Choir or by Joan Baez in her crystalline voice.

Dylan wrote this in 1973. This illustrated edition for young readers published in 2008. The illustrator wrote two pages of notes about the hidden thi
Kara
Feb 21, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
I loved this book! First off, this song has some of the best set of lyrics and reading them alone without the music really settles the meanings. The illustrations in this really bring home the journey of the song lyrics as well. I loved that the illustrations not only showed the journey of the lyrics but the journey of a "growing in fame" artist. Definitely going to get this one for my mom.
Destiny
Oct 31, 2014 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this song and think that it has a great message for students. I loved the picture and the ideas of being young. Young kids do things when they think about. When they think someone needs help they do it because they don't have any social hold up. We need to be like that. We need to help kids see that they can keep that spirit of being young.
Kcodd92
Apr 19, 2012 Kcodd92 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forever Young by Bob Dylan is based on the old song forever young. The book is mainly the lyrics to the song which are telling you to be a good person. Some things mentioned are may you always do for others and lets others do for you, may you always be courageous stand upright and strong. The book shows pictures of people protesting to stop war and signing petitions to help save the earth.
I would say this book is for primary age range. The words are simple and the book isn't very long. The child
Madisen Justesen
Feb 25, 2015 Madisen Justesen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-books
I really enjoyed this book. It was cool to see the progression of history through the art. I felt that the song really represented the sixties vibe in the book. The art was super cute. The song was really good too. I really enjoyed the story and how it went so well with the song.
Keris
Really loved this. (Only lost a mark for repetition of 'forever young' in the text, which is a) hard to read and b) not actually from the lyrics.) Read it at a friend's house, but will be getting our own copy asap.
Taril Slater
Apr 17, 2014 Taril Slater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edr-653
I like how this book was lyrics from a song that was made into a book. It just goes to show that country songs really do tell stories. I like the message and think I will be forever young after reading this.
Julianna
Mar 30, 2014 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march
This book was really cool and sweet, and I like the way that it ended, but I don't think it will make as much sense to a kid who as never heard the song before. Lovely pictures though.
Andrea
Feb 19, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 14-music
Really fun illustrations and a great message to teach children. I also really loved the end when it showed the illustrators notes and how they related to Bob Dylan's life.
Matthew
Feb 19, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as I can relate to it and the music went well with it. I liked it when there was many good things in the background like the righteous bus.
Kerri
My sister gave this to me for Christmas a few years ago. We both love Bob Dylan, and his song "Forever Young" always reminded her of me.
Joelene
Apr 22, 2014 Joelene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The words of Bob Dylan in a beautifully illustrated book. Gave to my son for HS graduation - we both cried!
Valerie
Jul 09, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Forever Young" is probably my favortie Dylan song. This is a childrene's book that adults will appreciate! The illustrations are wonderful. I will confess that I read (studied the illustrations is more accurate) this book 3 times at the bookstore while waiting for my teenager who was listening to some bands at a club! At the end of the book I discovered that there was a list of the illustrations with meanings behind many of them - like the pile of Woodie Guthrie records in one (he was a major i ...more
Crysta Xue
not a bad book at all. In fact it is very nice, but I felt lost. I wished I knew the song better.
Alexander
My daddy is huge Bob Dylan fan (fanatic? obsessive?), and he loves reading Mr. Dylan's three books to me. He'd probably give this book a five, but I like the other ones better. The drawing's are great, and adult fans of Dylan can search through the pictures to find Dylan Easter eggs and references.

Unfortunately, this book does NOT have a CD containing the song on it (the other two do). Also, we think the chorus in the book should have been changed to match the alternate version of the song, tak
  • This Land is Your Land
  • Gate 7, Volume 3 (Gate 7, #3)
  • Piano Starts Here: The Young Art Tatum
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Ella Fitzgerald: The Tale of a Vocal Virtuosa
  • A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks
  • Harry and Horsie
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • One Love
  • The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth
  • Play, Mozart, Play!
  • The Horn
Bob Dylan (born Robert Allen Zimmerman) is an American singer-songwriter, author, musician, poet, and, of late, disc jockey who has been a major figure in popular music for five decades. Much of Dylan's most celebrated work dates from the 1960s, when he became an informal chronicler and a reluctant figurehead of American unrest. A number of his songs, such as "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times T ...more
More about Bob Dylan...