Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings

Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Whether she is writing about George Eliot or Sylvia Plath; Victorian spiritual malaise or Toni Morrison; mythic strands in the novels of Iris Murdoch and Saul Bellow; politics behind the popularity of Barbara Pym or the ambitions that underlie her own fiction, Byatt manages to be challenging, entertaining, and unflinchingly committed to the alliance of literature and life.
Published April 25th 2012 by Vintage (first published 1990)

Chris
Byatt writes her criticism as if she is speaking to you. The essays in this collection are all good and enterating. I enjoyed the ones about Browning, Ford, Coleridge and Van Gogh. Now, I want to re-read the books she talked about.

Of more interest to me was her essay about judging the TLS poetry competition. The essay deals with how to teaching writing and her remarks about how writing should be taught stuck a chord.
Garnette
May 12, 2008 Garnette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: my daughter
Perfectly named book about AS Byatt's own mind as well as the minds of George Eliot and the section she calls: The Female Voice (Cather, Bowen, Plath, Toni Morrison even Georgette Heyer, despite Germaine Greer's ferious dis). I especially liked her attack on Barbara Pym, although I could only stomach two Pyms, I agree with Byatt. I skimmed a lot of the Mind book: not interested or appalled by Freud, post-modernist and post-(WWII)fiction. This is a wonderful book of collected essays by a writer s...more
Granuaille
Maybe my humour when I started this; but too wordy at the time; and the topics demonstrated to me that I had not read serious literature in some time. I should try again sometime.
Alexandra
Read for the Georgette Heyer essay, which is quite good. Also, great essay on Willa Cather. Unfinished due to skipping essays whose subject matter I'm unfamiliar with.
anuradha menon
this set me off thinking about george eliot and victorian literature
Kathleen Valentine
A must-read for any writer.
RML
RML added it
Mar 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
michelle
michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Caro
Caro marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Janell
Janell marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Marijke Drost
Marijke Drost marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Marijke Drost
Marijke Drost marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Gillian
Gillian marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Aleksandra Kowalska
Aleksandra Kowalska marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2013
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A.S. Byatt (Antonia Susan Byatt) is internationally known for her novels and short stories. Her novels include the Booker Prize-winning Possession, The Biographer’s Tale and the quartet, The Virgin in the Garden, Still Life, Babel Tower and A Whistling Woman, and her highly acclaimed collections of short stories include Sugar and Other Stories, The Matisse Stories, The Djinn in the Nightingale’s E...more
More about A.S. Byatt...
Possession The Children's Book Angels and Insects The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye The Virgin in the Garden