Start by marking “The Happy Man and His Dump Truck” as Want to Read:
The Happy Man and His Dump Truck

The Happy Man and His Dump Truck

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,169 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Published April 25th 2012 by Golden Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Man and His Dump Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Man and His Dump Truck

Krissy
this book tells the story of a happy man who drives around and picks up farm animals in his dump truck. all the animals have the best time, as you can see by their happy faces.

for some reason, i loved this book when i was little and was inspired to wish for a dump truck of my own. my plan was to have my mom drive it when it was her carpool day. i planned to cover the the inside of the back of the truck with purple carpet so that i wouldn't get my school uniform dirty on the ride to school. my m
Robert Beveridge
Miryam, The Happy Man and His Dump Truck (Golden Press, 1950)

I have to admit, I am at a loss to explain the enduring popularity of this book at Goat Central. My wife, who originally had our copy when she was a toddler, tells me it was one of her younger brother's favorites when he was two or three years old, and now the Bean can't go more than two or three days without this one coming right back into rotation. It could be Tibor Gergely's illustrations, which have an interesting, kind of Asian fe
Wendy Daniel
This book is not a particularly complex book, and it's quite old, but I don't know a kid (ages 6 months -2 years old) who can resist all of the farm animals sliding around in the back of the dump truck. The farmer loves to give them rides. Vocabulary for the younger set helps them identify the names of the different animals. Print awareness is also easy to teach in this simple book as the animals greet the happy farmer.
Karen
I'm an adult but not a grown-up: The title makes me giggle.

Aside from that, this book is a cute little non-story. I didn't buy this book for the text, and I doubt if anyone else does. I bought this book for Tibor Gergely's fabulous illustrations.

The illustrations completely make this book. They are filled with wit and humor, and are downright wonderful.

Josiah
This is a nice, old-fashioned kind of story that I very much enjoyed reading. All of the illustrations and writing point to the warmth and simplicity of the time it was first released, the 1950s, and I think that the book can be just as successful now as ever because of the kindness with which it is told. As noted on the back cover, "lively, satisfying stories never go out of style." I completely agree!

The Happy Man and His Dump Truck isn't a long story. A man driving a dump truck gives a ride
Tasha
This book is currently a bit long for my 1-yo daughter's attention, but she often chooses it from her book stack and will sit for about 1/2 of the story before wandering off. I really like how friendly and easygoing the happy man is, so I am hoping this book is one that my daughter will continue to enjoy as she gets older.
D'Anne
My sister bought this book for my son from the hospital gift shop and it made him very happy during an otherwise very unhappy time. So I love the book for that reason. It's a cute book, if a little dumb. I mean, it's not safe to ride around in the back of a dump truck and most likely the Happy Man's animal passengers would have been gravely injured when he tipped the dumper while they were all inside. The Happy Man just seems a little irresponsible, is all. Happy, but maybe not especially smart. ...more
Angela
This a such a cute and great classic. I remember being read this story by my Grandmother and Mother as a little girl. It was one of my favorites. Once I had a son of my own it quickly became one of his favorites too as I read it to him, over, and over, and over again. I love classic Little Golden Books like this, they truly are timeless and can be spread throughout the generations. The dump truck man is such a breath of fresh air in his cheery demeanor and how he treats everyone he meets, includ ...more
Heidi
My toddler had no problem with this book, but I was surprised at the complete lack of plot. This one will go back to the library very soon.
Angie
Synopsis: "A happy man thrills a group of farm animals when he takes them for a joy ride in his dump truck. This book is a true classic illustrated by the inimitable Tibor Gergely."

My Review: This was a great little classic story. It was short and simple with the classic illustrations. It combined many of the things Munchkin loves, dump trucks and animals. He loved pointing out the animals and making their sounds. Of course now he thinks he should get to ride in the dump bed and get to slide out
Rob
The Boy likes it... but seriously: what is this other than a non sequitur? Just an excuse to put a dump truck in a book for little kids? There's no plot. Nothing here. The only thing that you don't get from the title is the farm animals. And maybe that's the twist ending. "The Happy Man and His Dump Truck... AND FARM ANIMALS!"
Audrey
Aug 05, 2009 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2-year olds
Recommended to Audrey by: Mom
My 2-year old son loves this book. The pictures are decent and contain some recognizable objects and animals. The story is cute and silly. The text on each page is brief to accommodate a limited attention span. He likes vehicles at this age, so perhaps that is the main attraction.
Kirei
Feb 09, 2008 Kirei rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
My son really liked this when he was about three. It is old-fashioned and quaint. The only thing I don't like is that it teaches that it is okay to get into a truck with a stranger! (But I don't think they were politically correct back when this book was written, tee hee.)
Jolynn
Peter
One of the most awesome books ever written. It's one of the stories I remember most from my childhood. Now that it's back in print, you can bet there will be a copy going to my nephew in Texas.
Katherine
Sooooooooo silly. If PETA were to compile a recommended reading list for children, this book wouldn't make it. Ah, the magic of Little Golden Books reprinting vintage titles.
Dolly
Jul 19, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets
A bizarre little story about a man who gives rides to farm animals in his dump truck. They love it when he tips the dumper so they can slide down. Odd story, cute illustrations.
Bryce
This has got to be the BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN/DRAWN! I loved this as a kid and read it over and over--more than any other book.

I've got to find a copy for my sons. :-)
Tra-Kay
The sliding, gleefully squealing pig gave me so much delight that I clearly am going to remember it for ever.
Maryann
Nov 08, 2008 Maryann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children
Roger's favorite read-aloud book and Sarah's favorite book when she was maybe two?
Jenni Rollins
The story line was rather banal, but it does teach some animal sounds.
Marie
I predict this will be a favorite of Dylan's in a couple of years!
Bree
Notes:
cute illustrations but not a favorite story
Heather
A cute simple story with some very happy characters.
Sheila Read
I remember the cover but just not the story
Samira
A childhood favorite.
Donna Lunsford-Clampitt
Donna Lunsford-Clampitt marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
mistake 1 9 Nov 01, 2009 10:16AM
the happy man and his dump truck 1 8 Nov 01, 2009 10:14AM
  • Seven Little Postmen
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly
  • My First Counting Book
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Tootle
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • Four Little Kittens (Little Little Golden Book)
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • The Bunny Book
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • Santa's Toy Shop (Little Golden Book)
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book