Start by marking “Yesterday” as Want to Read:
Yesterday

Yesterday (Yesterday #1)

THEN: The formation of the UNA, the high threat of eco-terrorism, the mammoth rates of unemployment and subsequent escape into a world of virtual reality are things any student can read about in their 21st century textbooks and part of the normal background noise to Freya Kallas’s life. Until that world starts to crumble.

NOW: It’s 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across t
Published September 25th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Giselle
Set in Ontario, Canada, it was fun to read a book with its setting only hours away. They exist but I rarely have stumbled upon a book set in Canada (hence my love for Kelley Armstrong novels). It gave me a delightful reading experience, which made up for some of the qualms I had about the disjointed storylines in this novel.

Yesterday begins with a very enticing prologue. We get thrown into a confusing, but thrilling scene where we originally meet Freya, while raising a lot of questions, it sets
Kelly
Sep 13, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday is two parts science fiction, one part contemporary, and one part adventure. It's 1985 and Freya just moved to the suburbs of Toronto with her mother and her sister after her father's untimely death in New Zealand. She's not finding the transition easy (who would?) but there's something that feels really remote and distant in her everyday. And she keeps having strange headaches. Not to mention strange instincts to just act, rather than think. She has one of those when she sees a boy in ...more
Rose
"Yesterday" was my first read from C.K. Kelly Martin, and it's one of those reads that has a brilliant premise shaping the framework of the story, but the overarching execution leaves much to be desired. I did not like the structuring of the story or the writing in this very much. That's one thing I have to be honest about from the get-go in this review. I wish that it had better streamlining and engagement for the story it was trying to tell - it could've made the experience far more intimate ...more
Kimberly
Sep 20, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
I love dystopian novels and was drawn to the synopsis for Yesterday. The bulk of the tale takes place in 1985. Not to give my age away or anything, but I graduated from high school in 1985. My teen years seriously reflect all that you know about this iconic time in history. Martin creates a suspenseful science-fiction dystopian and wonderfully portrayed the eighties as I remember them.

The tale begins with a prologue. The year is 2065. We meet sixteen year old, Freya Kallas. We learn about th
Janina
Dystopias and I never really clicked. Don't ask me why, maybe I've just always picked the wrong stories to read, the ones that only came into existence due to the genre's huge popularity after the success that were The Hunger Games – which ironically, never really registered as dystopian in my head. So I thought that this book, written by an experienced author in my beloved contemporary genre, would maybe be the thing for me. Maybe you've deducted from my rating that this wasn't the case.

Althou
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
A finished unsolicited copy was provided by the publisher for review.

So many amazing futuristic technological advances in this one that my mind was spinning. I love how creative some authors can be and C.K. Kelly Martin is no exception. It starts of in the year 2077. There is biotechnology that has eradicated cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and even AIDS. Life expectancy is over a hundred years old, limbs can be repaired, heart attacks and strokes prevented. Virtual reality is embedded without a s
karen
Jul 22, 2014 karen marked it as ask-greg  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the Smiths, Depeche Mode, Scritti Politti—this one’s for you.

AND it takes place in canada???

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions.

My second C. K. Kelly Martin book has me convinced that I need to write every single thing she writes. Martin has a very distinct style. Her writing is wonderful and her concepts, at least for the two books I've already read, are entirely original. Yesterday didn't remind me of any other dystopia, a very rare experience.

Yesterday is one of those stories where you'll spend most of the book confused, unsure what the heck is going on. However, rest easy w
Brin
Yesterday by C. K. Kelly Martin was a slightly disappointing read for me. I have heard really good things about this author but I was not overly wowed by this book, though the writing was good and I would still consider checking out her other works. I really liked the idea behind this story but the execution of it fell little flat for me and I found the story to be confusing, at least initially.

Yesterday is told from the perspective of Freya Kallas, a sixteen year old girl who is thrown into a
Anita
Feb 11, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb14, best-books
The girl named Freya has just moved across the globe and now she is living in Canada. She can hardly remember her life, then one day, she saw Garren. For once in her life she felt real, she feels that they've met, but he insists they have never met. She then finds out that they both hold a secret that tell when they were really from. As the story continues, they find out more about themselves, which brings them to more danger.

The reason I picked up this book was because the summary at the back o
Steph Sinclair
Read along with Kat Kennedy. :D

Putting aside for now until it's closer to September.
YA Reads Book Reviews
Sep 03, 2012 YA Reads Book Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nichole
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, Reviewed by Nichole

NOW: It’s 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life. On the outside, she fits in at her new
Janus Vielle the Erudite Artist
Yesterday is a world where the future is the past, and the past is the future. Kind of confusing, isn’t it? To be honest, I couldn’t quite get the idea the first time I read the synopsis. But it was interesting enough to make me want to read it. I got the idea of time-travelling but what’s with the whole interchanging thing anyway?

Freya, the protagonist, is swept into the year the 1985 [with no memory of the life she had in 2036]. She remembers travelling from Australia to Canada after her fath
Kat
Oct 14, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apocalypse, ya, 2013-reads
I'm going to do this review a little differently by saying at the beginning that I enjoyed this book far more than I thought I would, based on it's Goodreads rating. Currently it sits at 3.34 average which actually surprises me quite a bit, because it's one more the more unique YA dystopians than I've read in a long time.

Yesterday is almost split into two parts, beginning with Freya trying to find her place in a new school with a vaguely unsettled, disconnected feeling. Whilst I enjoyed this par
Gabby
Apr 10, 2012 Gabby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C.K. Kelly Martin delivers an original take on a post apocalyptic world.With Twits and turns at every corner, and faced paced action What's not to like?

Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life but Freya feels nothing but removed. Her mother blames it on the grief over her father's death, but how does that explain the headaches and why do her memories feel so foggy?
When Freya lays eyes on Garren Lowe, she can't get him out of her head. She's sure that she knows him, despit
Nicki Markus
Sep 08, 2012 Nicki Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the opening of this book a little confusing, but gradually everything fell into place and I really began to enjoy the tale. Once I was captured, the book was a real page turner, with plenty of action and suspense to hold my attention.

Freya is a great character - likeable yet flawed - and her interaction with Garren was subtle and believable, offering some realism in the wake of all the 'insta-love' stories doing the rounds at the moment. Excellent characterisation and you really did get
Jillian
I went into this book rather blind, not knowing what to expect but I'm pleased to say that I did enjoy it. The entire concept of the book I found intensely interesting and I couldn't help but wonder what like is going to be like in 78 years and how what we're doing right now is going to affect it. I love books about time travel and this book definitely took a unique spin on the idea. I really enjoyed the world that C.K. Kelly Martin created and the dynamics of it. However, there were a few ...more
Lindsay
Dec 17, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, owned
I thought for sure there was going to have to be a sequel to Yesterday until the final of many plot twists. And boy, was it a good one. The characters and setting and premise were just too jam-packed with detail for me to feel like it would just... end there.
But it did, and it did really really well. The constant whirlwind of action came to such a satisfying close I couldn't believe it was over so perfectly.
This was an amazing book and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants something fast-pac
PopcornReads
I was scouting for a new YA novel when I stumbled on Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin. I had heard good things about her novels and the book cover was amazing. When I read the publisher’s blurb about Yesterday’s concept, it sounded so original that I knew I had to get a copy. If you like sci-fi or dystopian, futuristic novels, check out my review. And for you romance fans, there’s even a romantic thread. As with a lot of this genre, it may be a YA novel but it’s going to appeal to a wide range of ...more
Oct 03, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Not my favorite book by one of my favorite authors. However, this is more of a "Sarah" issue than an issue with the book itself--I'm not a fan of sci-fi-ish things, nor am I a fan of the 1980s (I remember the 80s, that decade sucked). I do, however, really appreciate that the last two of CK Kelly Martin's novels have been departures from her usual fare, because I love it when authors experiment with different genres.
Jess
Mar 17, 2015 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book due to it having a distinctly Canadian setting. I also thought it was interesting that they thought to time travel back to 1985. It was nice to see some of the technology mentioned that I grew up with and what not. Overall I liked it.
Rebecca McNutt
Great book, a little confusing at times though. It does put a lot of new elements into this kind of genre, too.
Miranda Kenneally
I can't wait for this!
Chuck Ledger
Jan 24, 2014 Chuck Ledger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best time travel book I've read!
Jessica Gong
Apr 06, 2014 Jessica Gong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2014
Yesterday was definitely one of my favorite book becuase it had so much details put into it.
Skyril
Feb 18, 2013 Skyril rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to give it a one.

Alright, first and foremost, I suppose it's partially my fault for assuming the book and style would be different than it actually is. I believed the books would be mostly set in the future, or at least have a bunch of robots walking around. I get it now, that I was mistaken, and that's not the author's fault. Although I Would have appreciated a somewhat more detailed synopsis, but that's not the point.

After that, I'd like to say that something I find extremely irrit
Meagan
Sep 20, 2012 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
If you’re read my reviews for any amount of time, you’ll know that I’m not always into dystopian books. In fact, there are probably one or two, maybe three that I’ve read and enjoyed. It takes something special to get me into the stories, and what do you know? C.K. Kelly Martin’s YESTERDAY does the trick. I should maybe preface my review by noting that I don’t read a lot of titles like YESTERDAY, so things that I find interesting might not be interesting to people who are super familiar with ...more
Nichole
Sep 10, 2012 Nichole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, Reviewed by Nichole

Kimberly
3.5 STARS

Time travel, dystopian, romance, young adult those were the key words that made me want to read this book. Well, those words and the fact Time travel, dystopian, romance, young adult those were the key words that made me want to read this book. Well, those words and the fact that it came pretty highly recommended by Kimba @ Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

Anyways I'm always wanting to read more books written by Canadian authors so when I found out that this novel was written by a Ca
Anncleire
“Yesterday” è uno di quei libri di cui ho letto la trama su Goodreads perché qualcuno che seguo lo avevo aggiunto e di cui mi sono innamorata a prima vista, anche per la copertina che è davvero stupenda. Peccato che uscisse solo a settembre 2012. Ma qui mi è venuto incontro Netgalley che mi ha permesso di leggerlo in anticipo…e per fortuna che il libro è davvero molto interessante.

Descrivere la trama di questo libro può essere una vera sfida, perchè davvero è molto complessa. Freya Kallas, una r
  • Flutter
  • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • Candlewax
  • Cybernetic
  • Blackwood
  • I Am (Not) the Walrus
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • The Obsidian Blade (The Klaatu Diskos, #1)
  •  Magisterium
  • A Matter of Days
  • Shift (Shift, #1)
  • The Loved and the Lost (The Verona Trilogy #3)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Touched
  • Hanging by a Thread
Long before I was an author I was a fan of books about Winnie the Pooh, Babar, Madeline, Anne Shirley and anything by Judy Blume. Throughout high school my favourite class was English. No surprise, then, that most of my time spent at York University in Toronto was as an English major—not the traditional way to graduate with a B.A. (Hons) in film studies but a fine way to get a general arts ...more
More about C.K. Kelly Martin...

Yesterday (2 books)
  • Tomorrow (Yesterday #2)

“But you can't unsee something once you've seen it. Not without a memory wipe anyway.” 6 likes