Start by marking “Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza” as Want to Read:
Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  46 reviews
From Portland's most acclaimed and beloved baker comes this must-have baking guide, featuring recipes for world-class breads and pizzas and a variety of schedules suited for the home baker.

In Flour Water Salt Yeast, author Ken Forkish demonstrates that high-quality artisan bread and pizza is within the reach of any home baker. Whether it's a basic straight dough, dough mad
Published September 18th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Flour Water Salt Yeast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flour Water Salt Yeast

Brigid Keely
"Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza," by Ken Forkish, is a book about intense privilege and complicated bread recipes and sweeping statements about what is and isn't the right way of making bread.

I make bread fairly regularly, one of my go-to books being "Beard On Bread" by James Beard. Like a lot of books about bread, Beard emphasizes that most people don't need a stand mixer and can mix by hand, and includes pictures showing different ways one can knead bread w
Amy
I asked for this book for Christmas after reading and rereading reviews of it. I'm a very experienced baker who has been making bread for nearly 40 years. I've wanted to be able to make a whole grain loaf that tastes like it came from a wood-fired brick oven, but my kitchen doesn't come equipped with such amenities. Today, I tried the Saturday 75% whole wheat bread and Wow!! The crust is amazing; the flavor is incredible, and I'm ready to dive into more of the book, but even if this is the only ...more
Micah Wallace
I bought this book looking for a solid rendition of the no-knead method. The recipe I've used most so far has been the overnight white bread recipe. And it rocks.

For several years I've been a huge fan of the The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Food Magazine Almost No-Knead recipe because it is practically foolproof and it lends itself well to adaptation. Want to add garlic and some herbs? Walnuts and raisins? Substitute some whole-wheat flour? N
Dharma Pen
This is a fast read! Mr. Forkish guides you all the way through his process of creating artisan bread. He uses the first 70 or so pages to introduce you to his methods, then that's it! You're off and running with the recipes.

I've just started my first recipe (Overnight White Bread), and it's so good to get to know your dough. It's not just baking...it's creating.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and my first finished loaf with this method.

Mr. Forkish's introduction and explanation of Baker's Perc
Elizabeth
It seems a little precipitous to rate a book before reading much more than a few pages.

But after skimming through the entire book, this appears to be a fabulous book for someone just starting to bake bread. (It also appears to be a great one for advanced bakers.)

It's full of wonderful photographs, clear instructions on how to mix, knead, shape, etc. etc.

I wandered into the levain section to read the following:

At Ken's Artisan Bakery, we feed the levain three times a day. There are two reasons
Renee
Flour Water Salt Yeast isn’t a basic bread cookbook but rather a recipe and guide book for artisan breads. I’ve been hoping for a book like this, and Ken Forkish explains and shows in detail how to make gorgeous breads. While he uses professional terminology throughout the book, probably some only familiar to fellow bakers, he writes in a way that enables bakers from any skill level to successfully recreate artisan breads at home.

All his recipes use baker’s percentages (which is explained) and f
Daisy
Comprehensive and thorough with just enough variety for a bread-baking nerd. Easy recipes and challenging ones. Lots of information and well-organized. Why am I writing in incomplete sentences?
He says two of the most important ingredients are temperature and time.

Even though I thought I'd become a sourdough snob, the other day we needed bread and my levain wasn't ready, so I made the The Saturday White Bread (with some whole wheat). It's the simplest recipe in the book, the first one, and it tur
Megan
I learned to bake from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Artisan Revolution Continues with Whole Grains, Fruits, and Vegetables, which is still the book I'd recommend for beginners. It's a simpler, easy-to-store recipe that doesn't require exact attention to details, like measuring the flour by the gram or taking the temperature of the final, mixed dough, like this book does.

But, as someone who already has some experience baking, I enjoyed this book. It introduced me to the idea of poolis
Alexandra
The recipes in this book are for advanced bakers. I don't fall into that category, so I probably won't be trying any of these recipes even though they sound really good. The author clearly knows what he's talking about. The first few sections are really informative and I learned some phrases I never knew before. Even though I won't be using the recipes, I'm glad I read this book because it was informative.
Michele Winship
Unlike many recipe-based "cookbooks," Forkish takes readers behind the scenes and tells the story of his own evolution as an artisan bread baker. He shares the science behind the bread baking processes from around the world that he has adapted for his Portland bakery. His technique appears much more complex than in other bread making books, but being able to create a true levain or poolish to bake from expands the repertoire of the home baker. Gorgeous photos make this a book more likely to be o ...more
Samuel
Excellent and clear bread baking book, especially for beginners. If no-knead is bread 101, this is bread 201 with a lot of excellent recipes. Ken Forkish, of course, is the owner of Ken's Artisan Bakery as well as two other restaurants in Portland, OR. He's taken the most important aspects of breadmaking and distilled them into easy lessons. His web site also has a series of videos worth viewing.
Alice Bert
Feb 10, 2014 Alice Bert is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Forkish shares his non-traditional no-knead method of making artisan bread. I have found that much of the French bread available has a rubbery crumb--this method produces a very light crumb. The method requires that the flour be moistened longer than usual and uses much less yeast than in traditional recipes I have used. The dough is baked in Dutch ovens at very high heat (475 degrees). I have now made four or five of the recipes and was delighted with the results in all but one case. That o ...more
Erin
This is a bread book I would not mind owning someday. The author explains the science of bread baking in an understandable way, especially for those new to bread making at home. I would recommend this to someone who enjoys Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread book.
Jodi G.
Overly complicated, seems designed for the professional bread baker. If you don't want to open an artisan bakery, just bake some nice bread for everyday eating, there are far easier (and just as tasty) bread recipe books out there.
Mandie Kok
If you have any interest in artisanal bread, this is the book for you. The book has a lot of depth and detail about the process of baking, but it is not necessary to memorise all of it to be able to bake good bread. You need a few tools to bake the best bread possible (a scale, thermometer and Dutch oven), but alternatives are provided until you can purchase everything you need.

The recipes are clear and easy to follow. The book also includes recipes for pizzas, sauces and even a bonus cookie rec
Terri Ann
Oh my gracious! This is the perfect book for cook/book nerds that love to read cookbooks. It is also THE most intense "cookbook" I've ever read. It goes deeper in to baking bread than I ever thought possible. Mr. Forkish is a bread mensch. It is amazing how deep into bread he has gone and how exacting he is. I loved the specificity in the recipes. I am quite the home cook and rarely say this, but this book is intimidating! I will eventually try his methods, but he forgot to mention that you shou ...more
Sarah Eiseman
I’m not sure how anyone can be on a low/no-carb diet. I tend not to trust people who don’t eat bread. So when I was reshelving books at the library recently, I came across this book by Ken Forkish on making artisan bread. Ken is the owner of Ken’s Artisan Bakery in Portland, Oregon. We used to live just down the street from this bakery when it first opened, so I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that this dude knows his bread.

Who knew this type of bread-making could be broken down so w
Jas
From this book, I baked some of the best bread I've ever made. The doughs are much wetter than I was used to, and the techniques are straight forward, but the results are amazing. This book gave me a great deal more confidence in how to bake bread well *without* a recipe and the variables that are present in bread baking.
John
Made a good sourdough starter with this--tasty, complex, and not too tangy. And it does a great job explaining how time and temperature work as ingredients, which has been hard to find in one place. So much better to read it in a book than to set out to parse the internet.
Adrienne
I feel like a bread-baking pretender that I didn't love this book. There are easier ways to make delicious bread.
Katia
Great read, excited to make bread for my family.
Parrie
This book made a lot of sense and after some practice and experimentation, I feel confident with trying the recipes with different types of flours and slightly different amounts of yeast. I've made bread in more traditional ways for years, the same way my grandma did, but this is my new favorite way. Start it early and forget it... delicious bread and pizza crust every time.
Sean
I made the dutch over 50% wheat bread. It's the first time I've ever made a bread that slices thin enough for sandwich bread. I've been making it every few days. The pizza is excellent too. The great thing is the technique, not the recipes. I feel like a completely different level of bread baker now.
Mk
Awesome bread book! It doesn't have a ton of recipes, but it does have a ton of technique information. Changed my bread baking, for the better. The recipes make 2 loaves of bread, so I prepped my neighbors for random bread gifts, but we've been finishing every bite. And there's only 2 of us!
Anonymous
I want to buy this book and read it cover to cover to study bread, but I don't have the time right now...one day. :(. It is a nice book and is very detailed on the bread process for extreme bread lovers who would put in the time and love to make them...one day.
Leigh
This is the kitchen science of bread baking explained in excruciating detail. This book is frightening and glorious. I will come back to it some day when I can afford to invest in the proper accoutrements, and have mastered bread baking for dummies.
Ron
There was a lot of good information in this book. I found Forkish's time schedules a little constricting and had trouble figuring out a way to fit the recipes into my life. But I think that is more a problem with my brain than his book.
  • Tartine Bread
  • Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Home Made Winter
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk