Start by marking “Vietnamese Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
Vietnamese Home Cooking

Vietnamese Home Cooking

In his eagerly awaited first cookbook, award-winning chef Charles Phan from San Francisco's Slanted Door restaurant introduces traditional Vietnamese cooking to home cooks by focusing on fundamental techniques and ingredients.

When Charles Phan opened his now- legendary restaurant, The Slanted Door, in 1995, he introduced American diners to a new world of Vietnamese food: r
Published September 25th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Vietnamese Home Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vietnamese Home Cooking

James Eckman
High end home cooking, seems far less fusion than his Slanted Door book. Subjects are sorted by cooking method and while there's some recommendations for sauces and spices, it needs a larger ingredients section. No nutritional data included, which may be an issue with people on low salt diets and the like. Also seems a bit meat heavy.
Shira
Feb 19, 2015 Shira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love to eat and cook
Shelves: feast
Rare is the book that inspires your cooking, informs your restaurant etiquette, tickles your travel bone, and teaches you how to cook a cuisine. Enjoy, enjoy, and invite friends over for lunch!
Update! I'm still enjoying the heck out of this book...and the pages are getting more food stained each week. Bliss!!
Eling
May 14, 2013 Eling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 2013
I wish you could do 1/2 stars here, because I really want to give Vietnamese Home Cooking 4.5 stars.

First of all, the photography is stunning. Really, really beautiful photos of food (although not the ratio of one photo per recipe that is my ideal, it was pretty close), great ones of the ingredients in the reference section, and gorgeous ones of Vietnam's food culture. I was pleasantly surprised by the range of recipes covered, but I think the techniques & difficulty of many of the recipes
Charcoal
Jan 17, 2014 Charcoal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has beautiful pictures in general. However, it doesn't have enough pictures of the finished recipes. Most of the recipes in the book require many ingredients that I don't have or use on a regular basis. I did like how he has a "picture glossary" at the end which identifies many of the ingredients that are called for in the book as well as the benefits of these items.
Pixie
Jun 29, 2015 Pixie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Grainy snapshots. Hubby says it "looks like a yearbook." I'm pretty sure that whatever essential recipes Phan has are included in his more recent Slanted Door cookbook.
Janet
Mar 08, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Yum! For the most part I think I'll leave the cooking to Mr. Phan and enjoy his dishes at his restaurant, Slanted Door! But I may attempt the Fried Rice, Wok-Fried Rice Noodles, the Soy Braised Pork Belly and the not-to-be-served-in-a-restaurant Scrambled Eggs and Pork. Did I say YUM?
Carrisa
Dec 04, 2015 Carrisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook
Loved the ingredient glossary, it not only said a bit about the ingredient, but also had a picture of what it looked like! Very useful for cooks who don't use galangal or rau ram all that often (or not at all). Made the Pho Ga: Chicken Noodle Soup (pg 8). Delish~

Tina
Jan 31, 2013 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook
For those of us unfamiliar with a lot of the ingredients used in Vietnamese cooking, this book can be a little daunting, but the recipes seemed easy to follow. Less pictures than I would've liked, but overall a decent addition to the library's cookbook collection.
Anonymous
Sep 19, 2013 Anonymous rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful cookbook. Simple ingredients, great techniques with explanations (and pictures if it is somewhat complicated). I love cookbooks that teach me something different (not just listing of ingredients) and this book has more than a few things for me to try.
Sps
Mar 15, 2013 Sps rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 600s
Eat this: broccoli with roasted chile paste and beech mushrooms. I've made it twice according to the recipe, and made other broccoli/stir-fried veggie dishes patterned on it several other times in the last month. Salty spicy good.

Sandy
This is the best Vietnamese Cookbook I have found, it offers real Vietnamese street food and home cooking. The author, Charles Phan, is the owner of "The Slanted Door". I borrowed this book from the library but will purchase it.
Karen Ballum
I flagged a few recipes to try but I feel like many in this book are too involved for the average home cook. I really like the visual ingredient index at the back.
Beka
Jul 07, 2013 Beka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The pictures look incredible and so delicious. Though none of them seemed doable for me, I would willingly try any of them in his restaurant.
Emily
Oct 15, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Few vegetarian recipes, though most could be converted (veggie stock for beef stock, etc.).
Vi Khong
Jan 13, 2013 Vi Khong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very excited to learn new ways of making my favorite dishes or even improve them :) How fun!
Shreya Nandy
Shreya Nandy marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Victor
Victor rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Li
Li rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Paige Etheridge
Paige Etheridge marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ethan P
Ethan P marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
marissa nunn
marissa nunn is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Vina Nguyen
Vina Nguyen marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Ericgr3gory
Ericgr3gory rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Linda Taylor
Linda Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Shan Fàn
Shan Fàn marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Cliff Northon
Cliff Northon marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Matthew Ramdowe
Matthew Ramdowe marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Eg
Eg marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
  • Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • Asian Tofu: Discover the Best, Make Your Own, and Cook It at Home
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
  • Mourad: New Moroccan
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
  • Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes