Start by marking “The Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women and Money” as Want to Read:
The Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women and Money

The Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women and Money

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Getting a handle on finances can be challenging at any age. Whether you're a parent struggling to explain savings to your children, a newly engaged couple considering joint bank accounts, or a baby boomer entering retirement, Kevin O'Leary has advice to help you make and keep more money.

Asa lead Dragon of CBC's Dragons' Den and ABC's Shark Tank, Kevin's success with money
Published December 18th 2012 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about The Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women and Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women and Money

Jodelene
I read this book in one night! While it had most information I have learned over the past few years, I appreciated it coming from a males perspective. I am going to try Kevin's 90 day challenge (which I already started Jan 1) and see what improvements I can make to debt reduction and investing. Highly recommend this book!
Rachelle
“Cold Hard Truth on Men, Women and Money” lays out our money problems in simple terms. The cold, hard truth is that “No matter how much money you make, the world is designed to take it away.” He emphasizes three guiding principles about money: keep money and emotions separate; eliminate debt; and be grateful for what you have. According to O’Leary, the secret to becoming wealthy is: “Don’t spend too much. Mostly save. Always invest.” O’Leary offers practical and helpful tools to save money and t ...more
Alvaro Berrios
This is a good, easy and fast book to read. I'm only giving it three stars though because I didn't really learn anything new. I'm already very careful with my money spending/investing habits and have been practicing what Mr. Wonderful is preaching for many years. I also don't completely buy the sections where he talks about frugal he still is (i.e. when he was upset at the $50 charge he had to take at the CoinStar machine) because this is the same man that said (on Shark Tank) he frequently buys ...more
Andrew
As the most acerbic panelist on CBC's Dragons' Den, Kevin O'Leary has an unique approach to life and personal finance. His new book follows the pattern of other personal finance books such as The Wealthy Barber Returns in laying out common sense advice on financial decisions around key life moments - university, marriage, and children. The opportunity to offer advice on these subjects is, of course, an irresistible target for the straight-talking O'Leary who undoubtedly will both offend and deli ...more
Kim Gross
As many on here have said already, much of what O'Leary says is common sense. But he still gives sound advice, even for the savvy investor. I loved his blunt, honest writing style; you could practically hear his tone of voice in your head!
Leonidas Kaplan
The cold hard truth about men, women, money
By Kevin O'Leary

I've read his first book. It was hard hitting, and effectively said, make your own company, work for yourself (whenever you get the opportunity), but remember, that you are always replaceable.

This was the message in his first book, among other things (which I reviewed previously). Then while working at the airport, I saw this book: men, women, money.

O'leary is developing his brand name, while occasionally pitching his mutual funds and in
Tracey
I picked this up out of curiosity because I've never been a Kevin O'Leary fan and was curious what I'd think of this book. Turns out his tone and approach to money are totally perfect for this kind of book, because it was great. I didn't learn much I didn't already know, but I like to read books like this from time to time to help reinforce good money habits. This book would be a great choice for teenagers that are earning some money and starting to think about post-secondary education.
Chuck Slack
The book is written in a simple, easy to read style. The financial advise is straightforward and totally pertinent. There wasn't much new here for me but that is the point. Mr. O'Leary is not reinventing the wheel rather he emphasizes what has worked for him. His advise isn't gimmicky but an emphasis on a lot we should already know.

A recommended read for anyone wishing to take control of their finances.
David
mostly pretty obvious personal finance advice delivered in the emphatic, somewhat hostile voice he effects on "Shark Tank". The quirky personal interests keep it lively. For example, in the role usually played in these books by the daily Starbucks latte you're supposedly buying every day on the way to work (put that money in an index fund instead, starting at age 21, and you'll own a small island in the Bahamas by the time you retire!), he inserts flowers. Must have a bad flower allergy or somet ...more
Dan
Jun 10, 2014 Dan marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Much as I love "Shark Tank" and Kevin, anyone really looking for personal finance advice should instead read Ramit Sethi's "I Will Teach You To Be Rich" and nothing else. The chapters I read in Kevin's book were fine, mostly solid advice, but Ramit's book has all of it, and more, with practical steps to take.

For one, Kevin talks about how much it costs to pay for lunch every day and how much money that "wastes" over ten years. I'm frugal, but this is not great advice. You'll read it and say wow
Mark Monsma
Although I started with Kevin O'Leary's second book, I have already gained so much more understanding of this well known TV personality. To be bluntly honest, O'Leary is not as bad or as much of a jerk the TV makes him out to be. Here is a man who puts family first. Now don't get me wrong, O'Leary does love his money! But not just his money, he loves all money. When entrepreneurs go on the Dragon's Den or Shark Tank, O'Leary gets agitated when money is being wasted and businesses misguided. In O ...more
Jack Oughton
Summary: stop spending all your money on stupid shit. It was a good reminder.
Howie Fly
Read this book so you will never have to buy shit
Krystal Summers
Makes me want to save, save, SAVE!
Teena in Toronto
I work in the retirement planning industry plus I'm a fan of Dragons' Den and Shark Tank ... so I thought it would be interesting to get O'Leary's thoughts on financial planning. I conduct one-on-ones in addition to seminars and it's amazing the amount of people I talk with who don't have a clue how they should be planning for their retirement or assume that though they have very little savings, they will be able to retirement early and live well. This book would be a big help to them.

The chapte
Alain Burrese
“Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women & Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes And How To Fix Them” by Kevin O'Leary is a very good book to get you thinking about what you make, how you spend, your debt, and your money in general. I, like many others, became familiar with Kevin O'Leary because of his role as a Shark on the popular television show, “Shark Tank.” Often referred to as the heartless Shark, or the one with no feelings, because of his insistence that money and investing should be kept separate ...more
Petesea
Good, practical advice from Mr. Wonderful. Reading this book brought a softer side to Kevin to life for me than what we see on Shark Tank every week. I enjoyed the photos of him and his family which helped to humanize the cold-hearted, money-focused shark though I understand that side of him too. I also liked the stories of people that Kevin has met along the way and lessons in finance that he helped them with. I wished that the book had more of these stories.
Raghu Kalyan
You can either hate him or love him! Kevin O'Leary is one of the reasons that I watch "Shark Tank". The other reason being "nicer" Robert Herjavec and "slobbish" Mark Cuban. But these guys can never beat O'Leary on his quipping’s. I must confess that I do owe my most recent vacation to some of the tips/points mentioned in this book. Financial planning & money multiplying books hit the market by truckloads but where this book contradistinguishes is in pointing out something which is quite obv ...more
Sarah Jarrett
I loved this book. It was the first one I've ever read about personal finances and I learned so much. After having read it I have been told by several people they weren't interested in reading it because the author is so unfavourable... be that as it may. I learned a lot and think this is an essential read for anyone who grew up in a house that financial management and savings were never really discussed!
Pam
This was our book club choice for March. It was a fast read full of practical concise financial advice for all aspects of life, death and in between.
O'Leary comes across as a bit of a pompous ass on TV but in the book he becomes real and you see where he started and how he lives both emotionally and financially.
A must read for any generation and never too late to do so.
Christine
Solid advice. Solid principles. Nothing revolutionary, but for someone who is over-extended or financially mis-managed, this is an essential book. I've followed about 80% of the principles my entire life and the other 20% I've learned here and will implement.
Izwan Z
One of the best books on personal finance I've read in many years. It's just like the Kevin O'Leary you see and hear on the Shark Tank TV series. The examples are quite American-centric but you can still find the advice useful. Some of the advice may seem unconventional and radical, but, when it comes to financial decision, the popular ones always tend to be the wrong ones. Excellent.
Sang Vo
First book I read that jump started my interest in my future. Fewer than 200 pages, O'Leary gave his advice on concepts such as savings to investing. The facts are very direct and forwarding, as some of you would expect from Mr. Wonderful.
Tihomir
It is an extremely interesting book. There are a bunch of super useful tips. Some of them are quite unpopular, but still relevant. It also confirms some of of my financial principles which I have been following. Thanks Uncle Kevin :).
Seana
I don't necessarily agree with all of Mr. Wonderful's strategies and advice- much advocacy for prenups for example. I did find the style relaxed and comfortable to read with targeted solutions for every age. Food for thought whether you're deeply in debt or ready to start investing for the future.
D. Baucom
A good read. Solid money advice for singles and couples. Although nothing surprising or groundbreaking, O'Leary peppers the book with personal experiences and stories which hammer home the message, stop spending and start saving. Would have appreciated more investing tips and approaches, but overall a good read.
Jessica Nybeck
Although I don't agree with everything he has to say it was very interesting to read about finances from a non-christian point of view. He makes some very valid points and had good overall advice.
Katelyn
Solid advice on managing your money. Easy to skim, which is always nice in a personal finance book. I will have to go back to the section on investing when I get to that point.
Sandra
This book is a primer on basic of finances in an easy to read style. A good reminder on knowing people are out there, who want your money and your need to be careful with it.
Deb
Although it was easy to read because it was well written, it was very boring and very very basic stuff. if people don't know this already, they are in serious trouble.
  • Decisions
  • Money Rules: Rule Your Money, or Your Money Will Rule You
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • Think Eat Move Thrive: The Practice for an Awesome Life
  • The Wealthy Barber Returns : Dramatically Older and Marginally Wiser, David Chilton Offers His Unique Perspectives on the World of Money
  • Swingland: Between the Sheets of the Secretive, Sometimes Messy, but Always Adventurous Swinging Lifestyle
  • Redefining Success: Still Making Mistakes
  • Rich Dad's Who Took My Money?: Why Slow Investors Lose and Fast Money Wins!
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • More Money Than Brains: Why Schools Suck, College is Crap, and Idiots Think They're Right
  • Faster, Faster, Faster (The Black Book: Diary of a Teenage Stud, #4)
  • Superhuman Nature
  • A Voice from the Attic: Essays on the Art of Reading
  • The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)
  • Basic Grammar in Use Without Answers: Reference and Practice for Students of English [With CD (Audio)]
  • Midas Touch: Why Some Entrepreneurs Get Rich-And Why Most Don't
  • Mount Pleasant
  • You Cannoli Die Once
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name on the goodreads data base.

Humble Beginnings
Kevin O’Leary was born to a middle class family in 1954. The combination of Kevin’s mother’s family heritage as merchants and his father’s Irish charisma truly meant that O’Leary was born for business. Kevin learned most of his business intuition from his mother. She taught him key business and f
More about Kevin O'Leary...
Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life Cold Hard Truth on Family, Kids and Money Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women, and Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes and How to Fix Them cold hard truth Space Corp. Special Forces I: The Darkness of History