Perfect Hatred

Perfect Hatred (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #6)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Chief Inspector Mario Silva and his team have a heavy work load with several high-profile cases. First, a suicide bombing that was apparently the work of a militant Islamist group. Then, a gubernatorial candidate is assassinated in broad daylight at a campaign rally. Could the cases be related? To complicate Silva's investigation, a criminal with a very bad grudge against...more
Published February 19th 2013 by Soho Crime (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Hatred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Hatred

Eric_W
My foray into Brazilian police procedurals was rewarding indeed.

A terrorist kills a woman using her baby and carriage to hide a bomb which he detonates just as a policeman is about to inquire as to the baby's lack of response. Some 350 miles south, a popular candidate for political office is assassinated.

Chief Inspector Mario Silva, of the Federal Police, immediately takes charge of the investigation. Fortunately, the bomb, which had been placed under the child, had contained numerous shards of...more
MaryAnn
I GREATLY enjoyed this story. I haven't read any other of the novels in the "Chief Inspector Mario Silva" series, but I found the plot creation and structure very credible and engaging. I will say that the plot is very complex with a large quantity of characters to keep track of, but the focus required is well worth the effort.

Basic premise of the story is terrorism and execution of a political figure. I thought it was very interesting to read the interchange of political views and policies betw...more
Lesa
Leighton Gage's Chief Inspector Mario Silva police procedurals have everything; dirty politics, corruption at every level of the government and the police force, terrorism. The rich just get richer by any means from bribery to murder. That's Mario Silva's world in Brazil, where he and his team of Federal Police do their best to bring about justice. In Perfect Hatred, that team has to deal with two terrible crimes, not knowing their own lives are in danger.

When a terrorist explodes a suicide bomb...more
J Edward Tremlett
As Chief Inspector of Brazil's Federal Police Force, Mario Silva knows which way the wind blows, and that it doesn't tend to bring good things with it.

So when his investigation of a shocking crime -- a suicide bombing in Sao Paulo, of all places -- gets interrupted by the assassination of a Gubernatorial candidate in Curitaba, he understands that he has no choice but to put the murder of one, important man over the deaths of many. That's just the way things work in this country, after all.

But w...more
Jeffrey Siger
“And you must call me Ismail.” I smiled when I read that homage to the opening line of Moby Dick buried in Leighton Gage’s sixth Brazil-based Chief Inspector Mario Silva mystery, PERFECT HATRED. Then I thought about it and realized Gage and Melville reached to explore many of the same issues: class and social distinction, good and evil, and destructive obsession. Melville had his great whale and Gage his vast Brazil, a giant land larger than the continental United States, filled with diverse ric...more
Rob
Apparently, Gage’s books are not for the weak of heart. This was my first Chief Inspector Mario Silva book, and the old adage “it never rains, but it pours” seems applicable – lots of people die in this fun page-turner. The book begins with a bang, literally. A suicide bombing, which is the apparent work of militant Islamists, has killed more than sixty people, but the assassination of a gubernatorial candidate during a campaign rally has Silva’s superiors more concerned. Told to focus on the as...more
Lisa B.
My Thoughts

This was very good. I enjoyed the comaraderie between Chief Inspector Mario Silva and the detectives on his team. I thought it was smartly written, with a tight plot and well thought out characters.

This is one of several books that involve mario Silve and I am definitely interested in reading some of the others.

Many thanks to Soho Press, via Netgalley, for allowing me to read this in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: February 13, 2013.
Bree T
It begins with a suicide bombing at the US consulate in São Paulo, when what looks like a young Muslim mother pushing her baby in a pram sets off an explosive bomb. Chief Inspector of the Brazilian Federal Police, Mario Silva has barely begun to pull together a team when he is abruptly interrupted and told to prioritize another case. The assassination of a Gubernatorial candidate in Curitaba demands his full attention.

Silva and the people he trusts begin investigating both incidents, looking int...more
Dana King
Leighton Gage has carved a nice niche for himself with his Chief Inspector Mario Silva series of mysteries set in Brazil. Gage knows how to use Brazil’s exotic beauty to his benefit, deftly juxtaposing it with extremes of wealth and poverty and corruption at all levels. The public officials and politicians who aren’t corrupt are as venal as their peers anywhere else. Gage’s gift is an ability to expose and explore all Brazil has to offer to a writer of crime fiction, while allowing the love of h...more
Gloria Feit
This is the sixth novel in the series referred to as the Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigations, and a very welcome return it is. The book opens, shockingly, with a man cutting the throat of a young woman and kidnapping her infant child. Shortly followed by a suicide bombing outside the US consulate in Sao Paulo, Brazil, which is in turn followed by another suicide bombing in Buenos Aires, outside of the oldest Jewish synagogue in Argentina. All with the attendant high numbers of innocent vi...more
Howard Marder
If you don't know anything about Brazil, don't read a guide book to understand what this huge complex country is about. The author will flit from place to place like a butterfly sampling the nectar but never tasting the flower or the fruit. Don't talk to friends who have travelled there because they probably have not seen more than the beaches in Rio de Janeiro or the Amazon river, the beat of Bahia or maybe the force of Iguacu Falls, or wherever else it is that tourists think that they should g...more
Sebastian
"I want the smile on my face to be the last thing they see on this earth"

The first word in the title of this book does a great job in describing it: Perfect. I have been a fan of Leighton Gage's series since the beginning, and currently it is firmly established among my favorite series. This installment is among the best Gage has produced so far, and leads me to say that even though I thought it was an impossible task, this series is actually getting better.

The elements from previous successful...more
Mike Walker
My first book of the Mario Silva Series earns a thumbs up. International crime fiction including political scandal and suicide terrorist keeps Mario Silva a busy Chief Inspector. He better watch out for the guy hunting him down though....

I really wish I had more knowledge concerning international politics, law enforcement and different countries customs. When I'm reading an International author, I always feel like I'm saying names of characters or cities or types of food wrong.

That being said,...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: The action began auspiciously.

The old adage "it never rains but it pours" has never been truer for Chief Inspector Mario Silva and his team. A suicide bombing which is the apparent work of militant Islamists has killed over sixty people, but the assassination of a gubernatorial candidate during a campaign rally has Silva's superiors screaming. Told to focus on the assassination, Silva doesn't. He divides his team so both cases are being worked simultaneously. He refuses to ignore th...more
Monica
The Brazilian novels of Leighton Gage do it all really well. Chief Inspector Silva and his people are terrific characters, honest cops in spite of the prevailing corruption and political pressure, nicely cynical though it all but determined to do the right thing. He is both an idealist and a pragmatist.

The plot - an Islamic fundamentalist kills a young woman and kidnaps her son to use as a prop to get him into position to detonate a bomb at the American consulate in Sao Paolo, a reform candidate...more
Martina
The sixth book in Gage's terrific series featuring Mario Silva, Chief Inspector with the Brazilian Federal Police. A police procedural as well as a thriller, crime novel, and cultural study, the series is filled with fully developed characters which I am eager to know more about. This book deals with Brazilian politics, Paraguayan corruption (and a fair bit of the same in Brazil!), as well as the large Muslim community which is found in the Tri-Border Area where Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay m...more
Kristen
In the late Leighton Gage's Mario Silva series, he wrote some of the finest work before he died last summer. Before the final book comes out this year, Perfect Hatred delivered us a powerful mystery with a suckerpunch or two. It all started with a bombing and an assassination, from there it escalated from there with Mario's most complicated mystery yet. From Brazil to Paraquay to Argentina, this mystery goes cross-country and all over the continent in the search of a killer and a terrorist, whil...more
Theresa de Valence
PERFECT HATRED by Leighton Gage is a fascinating story with deep insights into modern multi-cultural tensions of immigrant populations and the age-old fodder of political intrigue and corruption.

It’s been a year and I’ve forgotten these characters. As the story unfolds I’m reminded why I felt so moved by them. The true joy of PERFECT HATRED is the rich interaction which occurs when interesting people interact with warmth, innuendo, barbs, humour and love.

A very satisfying book.

Robin Jonathan Deutsch
Vintage Gage. The Perfect Book.
Chris
Love this series even though it can be dark. In this one we meet a man so evil and nasty that even professional assassins break off their business relationship with him- and you want him to get his punishment or fate so bad. A nice blend of domestic political intrigue combined with Islamic terrrorism and a pinch of personal vengeance make for a page turning read as Silva and his crew are kept busy traveling around Southern Brazil.
Emkay Scott
This is the 6th Gage book I've read after discovering him in 2012. His work is well-written and all the more shocking because its characters (the police detectives) deal with daily political interference, corruption, nepotism and so forth in a manner that is both world-weary and worldly. None of the trite heroics and crusading that American books offer up; this is real-politick - dirty, nasty, and likely very real.
Amanda
In the beginning, I couldn't stomach to read because its talks about baby being blown up. After that part was discuss, it was better for me.

Two town. 2 Crimes Scene. One man was pulled in 2 different directions AND he became the target.

Its very good read. I would definitely consider reading more books from this author. This was a win from either librarything or goodreads.
Erik
Nice addition to the Silva series. This book is a bit different in the sense that Silva is only in half the book; indeed, this book is more of an ensemble than a vehicle for Silva. And I appreciate the turn back to the grim world Gage is so good at writing about.
I just never got into it. I never remembered the characters' names so I would get confused. It wasn't a bad book, I can see how some would enjoy it, but I just never got into the book so I didn't really enjoy it
Linda
Confusing, at least in the beginning. Could not get interested in the characters or plot. Only redeeming attributes were a sense of place but there are much better novels for that.
Kenneth Fredette
You could say that "Perfect Hatred" could be reasonably created to lesson the peoples bias against other peoples ideas. We have a ways to go on that ourself.
Saadaab
Normally my favourite writer with the most amazing stories. This one was good up until the point the Israeli army were the good guys. Plot well below par.
Carrie
I thought that it was a great story. it was intense and kept me hooked.
Lenny Kleinfeld
A terrific read--which makes it six in a row for Mr. Gage.
World Mysteries a...: Giveaway - Hard Cover 2 12 Dec 04, 2012 01:40AM
Goodreads Authors...: Giveaway - Hard Cover 1 8 Dec 03, 2012 02:49PM
Around the World ...: Giveaway 1 14 Dec 03, 2012 02:47PM
THE JAMES MASON C...: Giveaway 1 3 Dec 03, 2012 02:43PM
The Mystery, Crim...: Giveaway - Hard Cover 1 8 Dec 03, 2012 02:40PM
  • The Honey Guide (Mollel, #1)
  • In Safe Arms
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • The Geneva Trap (Liz Carlyle, #7)
  • Little Elvises (Junior Bender, #2)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • The Woman Who Wouldn't Die (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #9)
  • The Tooth Tattoo (Peter Diamond, #13)
  • Blessed Are the Dead  (Detective Emmanuel Cooper #3)
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
  • The Ghost Runner (Makana, #3)
  • The Beggar's Opera
  • Het vierkant van de wraak
  • One Little White Lie
  • Ratlines
  • Murder Below Montparnasse  (Aimee Leduc Investigations #13)
  • Dead Lions
  • Strange Bird
Died July 27th, 2013

Leighton Gage writes the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series, crime novels set in Brazil. He and his Brazilian-born wife divide their time between their home in Brazil and those of their children and grandchildren in Europe and the U.S.
Praise for the Chief Inspector:

Hard-hitting, atmospheric…. Despite their social conscience and ambitious reach, there's nothing stiff or programm...more
More about Leighton Gage...
Blood of the Wicked Buried Strangers A Vine in the Blood: A Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigation Dying Gasp Every Bitter Thing