Start by marking “A Rose for Emily and Other Stories: A Rose for Emily; The Hound; Turn About; That Evening Sun; Dry September; Delta Autumn; Barn Burning; An Odor of Verbena” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Here is a classic collection from one of America’s greatest authors. Though these short stories have universal appeal, they are intensely local in setting. With the exception of “Turn About,” which derives from the time of the First World War, all these tales unfold in a small town in Mississippi, William Faulkner’s birthplace and lifelong home.

Some stories—such as “A Ro
Published April 18th 2012 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about A Rose for Emily and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose for Emily and Other Stories

Fiona
Jun 13, 2011 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-year
A Rose for Emily is about a lady named Emily who has lived in a building for many years now without having to pay for rent or anything. That's because she had a deal with the old town mayor to not pay rent since she couldn't afford it. When new people took over they started asking her for rent. This really upset her, and she went into a fit. She started hiding from society and didn't do anything. She then met a man that she really loved. She kept him to herself all the time. When her father die ...more
علی
تصور می کنم "یک گل سرخ برای امیلی" اولین اثری از فالکنر باشد که به فارسی ترجمه شده، سال ها پیش توسط نجف دریابندری، و گویا در 1334 در جنگ هنر و ادبیات امروز منتشر شده است. سپس تر، در 1362 در مجموعه ای همراه با داستان های دیگری چون "سپتامبر خشک" و "طلا همیشه نیست" از همین مترجم، و توسط انتشارات نیلوفر منتشر شده است.
Though Faulkner writes about Mississipi and Yoknapatawpha, his own imaginary territory of 2400 Miles sq. with 15611 inhabitants, centered by Jefferson city, but I always see every sing
John Yelverton
Mar 06, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of wonderful stories from the Nobel Prize winning author.
Vlady Peters
Jan 15, 2016 Vlady Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing with my bucket list of reading every book listed on Great Books of the Western World, I see my next one is ‘A Rose for Emily’ by William Faulkner. Again, it’s a short story. And again, I’ve never heard of it.

I searched through my own collection of books and resurrected a 1952 edition of ‘The Saturday Evening Post Treasury’ comprising some of the best, well-known short stories published by The Saturday Evening Post, one of America’s oldest magazines which stopped publishing in 1969.

Her
Diana
Sep 08, 2009 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Rose for Emily - Faulkner at his best.
Rick
"A Rose for Emily" is a five-part short story narrated by the townspeople of Jefferson, Mississippi, in the first-person plural perspective ("we"). The first section opens with a description of the Grierson house in Jefferson. The narrator mentions that over the years, Miss Emily Grierson's home has fallen into disrepair and become "an eyesore among eyesores." The first sentence of the story sets the tone of how the citizens of Jefferson felt about Emily: "When Miss Emily Grierson died, our whol ...more
Gladys
Sep 20, 2012 Gladys rated it it was amazing
Excelente introducción a William Faulkner. Muchos de estos cuentos son la precuela de sus novelas. Proporcionan mayor información sobre los ancestros de los personajes, como el patriarca de los Snopes para lo que después sería la trilogía "the Hamlet", "The Town"y "The Mansion"; o el perfil de la última generación de los Compson cuando eran niños, dando más información de sus acciones en "The Sound and the Fury" de las grandes sagas incluidas en "The Sound and the Fury", así como la historia de ...more
Ainsley Dobson
Feb 03, 2016 Ainsley Dobson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
3.5 out of 5 stars

This was an enjoyable read, but definitely not the best that I've read; I would have to say that it is one of my least favorite short stories.
Aya Souayh
Apr 09, 2015 Aya Souayh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tellement émouvant, tellement ensorcelant, tellement captivant! Un oeuvre d'art quoi! <3
Kat
Slightly disturbing.
HeavyReader
Jan 28, 2012 HeavyReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the bizzare and whack
Shelves: short-stories
At first I thought I had read this short story for school, but now I'm not so sure. I had several anthologies of poetry and short stories when I was in high school and college (one I won as first prize in a district writing contest when I was in 10th grade). I think this story was in one of those anthologies, and I read it on my own.

This story would be a bit macabre for high school English class, and I don't remember any kind of discussion, so I think this was extracurricular reading.
Paul
Jun 13, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't actually have this book, but I read "A Rose for Emily" and want to add it to my collection. Faulkner is the master of the Southern Gothic and this is an excellent example. It also serves as a good starting point for someone not already familiar with Faulkner's work.
Heather
Aug 25, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories
A Rose for Emily, was not the best short-story I've read. I thought it was weird and not in a good way. Faulkner's writing was okay. I really want to read The Sound and the Fury, so I hope it is better than his short-story.
Jamie
Apr 23, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I actually have a Japanese collection that includes these three stories as well as "Red Leaves" and extensive notes (mostly for Japanese learners of English). It is edited by Kenzaburo Ohashi.
Lynley
Feb 22, 2011 Lynley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the entire book due to the fact that the first story, "A Rose for Emily," was rather strange and disturbing.
Bobby
Mar 27, 2008 Bobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about Faulkner's story about white women reacting after the Civil War.
Sara
Jan 16, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking! That's all I have to say about that.
Maicie
A great collection of short, dark stories.
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Addyson
Addyson marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Alex  Armijos
Alex Armijos rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Daniela Thelen
Daniela Thelen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Stepheny
Stepheny rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Sadie Rita
Sadie Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Marcus Wilson
Marcus Wilson marked it as to-read
Amela
Amela rated it did not like it
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • The Demon Lover
  • Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations)
  • The Oval Portrait
  • Stalking You Now
  • Miriam
  • پرندگان می‌روند در پرو می‌میرند
  • "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction"
  • A Shared Dream (Dreams #1-2)
  • Hotel Ruby
  • We Love Glenda So Much and Other Tales (Arena Books)
  • Chamber Music
  • A Clean Well Lighted Place (Short Stories)
  • Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost
  • Le Bateau ivre
  • Haunting (The Dusty Chronicles, #1)
  • The Black Cat and Other Stories (Penguin Readers Level 3)
  • À la recherche du temps perdu, Tome III
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...