Start by marking “Altared: The True Story of a She, a He, and How They Both Got Too Worked Up About We” as Want to Read:

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  21 reviews
“Altared is a must-read for young Christians hungering for a realistic, biblically rich take on love and marriage in the twenty-first century.”
—Katelyn Beaty, editor, Christianity Today magazine, Her.meneutics

Mar•riage-hap•py \mar-ij-hape\ adj 1: Having an inordinate preoccupation with marital pursuits, sometimes at the cost of other Christian priorities, commonly seen
Published September 18th 2012 by WaterBrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Altared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altared

So, my best friend gave this to me last year. I know, my timing at getting to it is embarrassing. I only have myself to blame. I have a special talent of requesting 37 books to review in a week, so I got myself a little behind. Finally, I told myself, no more excuses!

It’s a topic that is always interesting to read different thoughts about (you know that thing called love and marriage right?).

I’ll start off by saying this was such a refreshing read! If you’re Christian and single, I’m sure you’ve
This book was a quick and easy read. While I think anyone could appreciate this book, it would probably speak mostly to those in their 20's and 30's or those who have been on the dating scene recently. I felt that the book was theologically sound with many wonderful quotes from famous Christian authors that backed up their main points very well. They explain clearly at the beginning of the book that their goal was not to bash marriage or glorify singlehood.

Most Christian books focus on marriage
This was such a great book! Claire and Eli (former sweethearts) remind their readers that in a culture obsessed with romantic love and marriage, our first call is to love our neighbor, whatever our relationship status may be. Using scripture, personal experience, research, and drawing on the wisdom of past intellectuals, they offer solid reasons to make Jesus- not marriage- the purpose of our lives.

I enjoyed the story line threaded through this book, but it was sometimes difficult to bounce bet
Sarah K
The book I have to review for you today deviates from my usual read. Altared: The True Story of a She, a He, and How They Both Got Too Worked Up About We by Claire & Eli is an interesting read that I received courtesy of WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group as part of their Blogging for Books Program. A book about love is appropriate for Valentine's week, huh?

Here is a description of the book from the publishers:

Mar•riage-hap•py \mar-ij-hape\ adj 1: Having an inordinate preoccupation with m
This book contains his and her views separately and also as one voice on how they found each other, their initial thoughts and feelings about the courtship, their hopes and views on marriage and singleness, Christ's love for them and in truth where their importance lied and how their lives ended up evolving. Included are chapters entitled: Tips from Tolstoy, Love Thy Neighbor, Loneliness the Ache, Beach Balls and Sex Talks and many more. This volume also contains many bible passages and interpre ...more
Definitely one of the stranger books on singleness I've ever read. And I've read a lot of them.

The authors are an anonymous ex-couple who decided to develop a theology of singleness around their failed romance, seeking to justify their belief that evangelical Christianity has put entirely too much emphasis on "marriage-y-ness", and that what singles should really focus on is loving their neighbors instead of seeking a godly spouse.

"As I circled back to the Bible, I didn't find nearly as much unq
Brenten Gilbert
RATING 2.5, Recommended for SINGLES

It took me a long time to get through this book. I struggled with whether or not I should even finish it. If nothing else, it makes a clear case for the axiom of not judging a book by its cover. On its face (or cover) ALTARED appears to be a quirky little book by a trendy couple explaining how their marriage works and how you, too, can experience marital bliss with your fellow hipster spouse. (Well, maybe I’m overstating a bit.)

In reality, the book details the
Emilie Hendryx
This was originally posted in full on my blog {} but I wanted to share it here.

I set out with high expectations for this book and they were not unfulfilled! Altared by Claire & Eli was a fantastic book summed up perfectly by this statement from the cover: "The true story of a she, a he, and how they both got too worked up about we."

I'd love to be able to perfectly sum up this book within a few short paragraphs but I feel that would rob you of the j
Cameron Rebarchek
I wanted to like this book. I really did. It offered something new–a relationship book that focused on the single life and our devotion to God. To be perfectly honest, it made many valid points about our primary objective as Christians being devoted to God and not devotion to a spouse. Admittedly, we are called to love our neighbor, and they make a valid point that modern romanticized love does not seem to be equivalent to the agape love of the New Testament. In thirteen chapters, Claire and Eli ...more
Michael Boling
Finding a mate and the societal push to marry is often one of the most stressful periods of life a person will face. Is there someone out there for me and when will that person come my way often leads to what can be described as an unhealthy preoccupation with the process of and experience of finding that perfect match. Bookstores are full of books offering advice on how to find a mate, anything from prowling the local club to ignoring the process altogether. Given that marriage is the first ins ...more
Even secular society is marriage happy. The difference with the Church is that God will help you with the marriage if you turn to him.

Some valid points, but mainly this is a couple too selfish to actually devote their lives to anyone but themselves. She never seemed that into him until her girlfriend liked him. Either you like someone or you don't, but you decide with your own mind. So they couldn't work out being on two coasts and break up. Yet we find Eli has actually postponed his precious We
The warning that Claire and Eli raise is an alarm worth sounding—we shouldn’t be seeking to fill our longing for union with Christ with the mere reflection of it (cf. Eph 5:32). Their encouragement towards discipleship in response to the abundance of “marriage-happy” evangelicals can serve to bring us back to a more balanced discussion and understanding of marriage. That said, Altared seems to achieve this goal at the cost of creating a division where there needn’t be one. Sanctification is God’ ...more
I know the book seems like and is built around romantic relationships, singleness and marriage but I was challenged by it to review my definition of love. Real love. Whether it be romantic love, love for friends and/or family or love for God.

It took me a while to read because it challenged me on a number of issues and to turn back to the biblical definition of love.

I think if you are looking for advice on singleness or marriage this is probably not the best place to start. But if you are happy
I admit I am biased - this book was co-written by one of my favorite people in the world, a former student. But I have read a whole lot of relationship books over the years, good, bad, and horrible, and this is for sure among the very best. And as further proof I would like to submit that currently TWO of my daughter's friends, teenage girls, are reading it and love it. Neither is normally a reader.
This book is clever, and honest, but not self-pitying.
Alison Kuhlman
I was really excited for this book but it sounds like many others it didn't do too much for me. If I had read it a year before in my single marriage hungry stage then maybe it would have hit home. Now it felt kinda meh. A unique perspective on it and brought in lots of interesting outside sources, but not really adding anything new to the conversation. Even then there are still a few girls if recommend it to as it would hit home for them.
This is a great book for both married and single Christians to read, but especially for those who are thinking of getting married or friends with those who are thinking of getting married. It challenges the typical Christian ideas about marriage and singleness, but in a way that is non-threatening and invites you into a conversation about real, Christ-honoring relationships. I would definitely recommend this book to others!
This is an important read for singles and married folks alike. Claire and Eli pose important questions that we all should consider about why we may seem to place more value on finding a mate than truly learning what Christ's love is and how we can grow in demonstrating it. They also raise awareness about struggles of singles within churches that I would also hope everyone would consider.
I had high hopes for this book, and I'm not sure if its because I am in a different place in life currently, but this one didn't really do anything for me. I couldn't finish it. There isn't anything new, just the story of two people trying to fall in love, their romantic journey and the decisions they make.
The transitions between their own story and the more "thoughtful" parts of the book weren't very smooth at times, but overall I really enjoyed the insights they had to offer. A lot of good stuff to think about here.
Interesting thoughts that I'm sure will inform the rest of my experience . . . in college and beyond.
A religious dating book with a unique take on singleness.
Dianne Oliver
Dianne Oliver marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Brian Condra
Brian Condra marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Devyn marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Divya marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“Trains are about getting from point A to point B in a timely, efficient manner. They rumble through town on a predetermined path, with a sequence of stops to make and a schedule to keep. A train has a plan, and the plan moves in one direction, with little regard for anyone or anything beyond its path. It’s no surprise that cities and towns turn their worst side to the tracks. A park, on the other hand, is the opposite. A park has no agenda and makes no exclusions. It is welcoming, lovely, and nurturing. It is a forum for life; a congregation of unscheduled joy, laughter, and leisure. Cities bring their most important events to parks: weddings, recreation, picnics, relaxation. People bring life to the park because the park invites them in, no matter who they are. No ticket required. No schedule to obey. The parks, in a word, are turned outward; the tracks are turned inward. The parks give unceasingly to their community; the train rumbles through. This is a picture of how we can approach our loves: We can choose to be trains or parks. We can plan our lives with rigid precision, ignore everyone who isn’t sitting beside us, and simply forge ahead with our own agenda. Or, we can be present in our lives and open ourselves up to the chaos of love. I’m sure we can all think of examples of people in our own lives, whether married or not, who operate as trains and who operate as parks.” 1 likes