Start by marking “A Kiss Like This” as Want to Read:
A Kiss Like This

A Kiss Like This

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  39 reviews
What better gift for a new baby? The creator of I Kissed the Baby! celebrates animal moms and babies in an irresistible novelty book.

A giraffe kiss is very tall — just turn the page and see! Elephant kisses are long, of course, while tiny mice and bubbly fish have kisses all their own. Using a clever split-page format that makes for charming surprises, author-illustrator M
Published December 11th 2012 by Candlewick (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss Like This

Kathryn
So cute!!! Very simple but utterly engaging little book showing how different animal parents and babies kiss. The lift-the-flap idea to show how they kiss ("Like This") is one that will surely be a winner with little ones and the illustrations are adorable and feature a fun variety of animals.
Ina
My story time audience loved this one. With brightly colored illustrations and rhyming text we see all sorts of animals exchange kisses, "A giraffe kiss is gentle and tall….a mouse kiss is quick and small." There are half pages to turn to display the actual kiss which my audience loved.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A lift-the-flap book about different animal kisses.

It's a fun and interactive book to read with little ones. Q&A about the animals, then following it up with reenacting the animal kisses.

Theme: Valentine's Day
Additional themes: kisses, animals, parent/child

Reviewed from a library copy.
Bethany Boutin
The perfect read aloud for a Valentine's Day story time. Little ones will marvel at the bold illustrations set against a contrasting white background. The flaps of each page reveal how all different sorts of animals kiss, and inspire children to imagine these comical kisses using onomatopoeia.
Nanci Booher
Mary Murphy does a great job with simple easy to understand text and great illustrations. I read "Say Hello Like This" last week at storytime and next week I'll read this one. It's great fun to try and predict what the kids will say!
Bree
Notes:
cute toddler-on-your-lap book
better than 'I kissed the baby'
sturdy pages, some are half pages to reveal the kiss
Caroline
Different animal kisses throughout make this a fun one for Valentine's Day story times.

Iamaby En
Great book for use on Valentine's Day or for an emotions-themed storytime.
Renee
Good book for Toddler Story Class - love, Valentine's Day. etc.
Vicki
Love the lift the flap pages and repetitive phrase "like this".
Caitlin
Dangerously close to becoming saccharine but I love Murphy's vibrant illustrations
Aaliyah
A very cute story! The pictures are bright and colorful! :)
Cosette
Adorable. Great book to finish reading before bedtime.
Meg McGregor
The perfect book for Valentine's Day or any day! Kisses by several different animals are described and it is so sweet to see my little one old enough to start giving them kisses back!
Bethe
#nerdlution day 31. Cute little lift the flap book of animal parents and children kissing, would make a good baby shower gift, too bad it isn't available in board book format.
Adrienne Furness
This would be a great one for baby or toddler storytime. I especially like, "An elephant kis is long and toot-tooty." Also, this is a book where the sparkles on the cover don't irritate me and the page flaps are used in a way that isn't gimmicky. Go, Mary Murphy!
Christopher
A cute story about different animal kisses. The flaps showcasing the different kisses is cute and makes for a nice animation effect. I'll probably use this in a baby storytime somewhere along the way.
KimBear
"Buzzy, bubbly, long, or small, whose is the best kiss of all?"

This book is perfect for sharing with anyone you love...and it's a fun storytime book too!
Tricia Barber
A very colorful book about animals kisses.I like the different sized pages and how they connected to each other. A cute book for Valentine's Day.
Brindi
lots of animals and kisses...perfect for my toddlers and even a young yoga program would work well with this book.
Jodie
Very young readers will enjoy this story especially with mom or dad doing the reading. Very cute and fun!
Ashley Wesner
Adorable!!! Read through this, and I loved it! It's always cute to see stories about showing the love.
kate
Very cute. The kisses seem to be between parent animals and baby animals. Love the lift-the-flaps.
Barbara
Sure to be on the Valentine's Day reading list. Love the variety of animal kissing sounds.
Kelsey
I will be reading this one for the little tykes! Cute fold-outs show action as kisses happen.
Paula
A lift the flap book for valentine's day where it shows how the parent kisses the little one
Bree
the illustrations really make this book. the flap pages will entertain your toddler.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tuck Me In!
  • I Am Small
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!
  • Time for a Hug
  • Stick!
  • Oliver
  • Hickory Dickory Dog
  • Plant a Kiss
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • No Two Alike
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Children's author and illustrator Mary Murphy enchants even the youngest of readers with her bold style, combining eye-catching graphics and a bouncy text that seemingly jump off the pages.

Mary Murphy has an advanced diploma in Visual Communications and has written and illustrated a number of children's books, including her lift-the-flap, pull-the-tab book about friendship, ROXIE AND BO TOGETHER.
More about Mary Murphy...
I Kissed the Baby! Say Hello Like This! I Like It When . . . Quick Duck! How Kind!