Start by marking “Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital” as Want to Read:
Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital

Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  327 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A highly perceptive manifesto for entrepreneurs, leaders, and managers from the vice president of digital sport at Nike and the founder of legendary innovation agency AKQA. With an exclusive introduction by Sir Richard Branson

How can you win when the only certainty is change? Highly accessible, lively, and inspiring, Velocity draws upon the authors' unique perspectives and
Published May 5th 2012 by Random House UK (first published May 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Velocity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velocity

Magdalene Lim
Jun 14, 2012 Magdalene Lim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: digital creatives, people in marketing, someone who wants an easy read
I loved the nice, big font and white space that made it easy on the eye. An easy read, chock-full of interesting quotes and anecdotes. The content in this book reminded me of an Urban Genius talk conducted by Iris Worldwide. While very current and relevant now, I fear this will not be an enduring book. Read it quick so you get the most out of it now!
VaultOfBooks
Sep 07, 2012 VaultOfBooks rated it really liked it
By Ahmed Ajaz and Stefan Olander. Grade: A
The world as we know it is changing. The authors give an excellent example: gone are the days when we enter a city clueless whether our taxi driver is taking you for a ride or giving you the best journey to your location. You have the optimum, recommended information that’s updated as you move, in the palm of your hand. Previously you would have been a stranger in the new city with an outdated tourist guide. Now you can have the exchange rate, the langua
Karen López
Mar 01, 2013 Karen López rated it liked it
Shelves: business
It's a book worth reading, easy to digest... but it is missing more insight. That is due probably because of the way it is written ( as a conversation) which makes it easy to follow, although hard to get use to in the beginning.
J.F. Penn
Nov 19, 2012 J.F. Penn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
Excellent business book, about the speed of business. Get going, then get better. Evolve immediately. Seize the momentum of a beta world always in motion.
The-vault
May 18, 2012 The-vault rated it liked it
By Ahmed Ajaz and Stefan Olander. Grade: A
Olivier Van D'huynslager
May 18, 2014 Olivier Van D'huynslager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The most powerful force in the universe isn't technology. It's imagination.

Everything suddenly got so much faster, and that changed everything else in ways nobody would have imagined. Those who dared won. Those who dare shall win. It's all about designing the beautiful and building the impossible.

The trick is channeling the endless curiosity of your inner child with the clear sense of purpose, outer direction and responsibility you have as an adult. Editing down all that amazement at the world i
Nora
Feb 25, 2016 Nora rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The book is written as a conversation which makes it feel like a podcast. The conversation meanders, there are some nice one-liners, and the summaries don't really summarise but add new points. Sometimes it feels like an ad for Nike. If you don't know what they're talking about then it will make no sense. It doesn't go into a lot of depth. Fun to read if you're interested but not essential.
Jacob Munk-Stander
Jul 31, 2013 Jacob Munk-Stander rated it really liked it
A good read on how businesses should embrace digital as part of their organization, processes, products and marketing.

The results of the work between AKQA (Ajaz Ahmed) and Nike (Stefan Olander) is a living proof of how an insightful and trusting relationship between client and agency can lead to new and valuable business opportunities (as well as campaigns).

The format of the book is a "dialogue" between agency and client which is confusing at times. They are both insightful and opinionated on ho
Lucy G
Aug 24, 2014 Lucy G rated it really liked it
A very apt and current book about marketing and today's digital climate. An interesting read, particularly for anyone within the digital, advertising or marketing industries. It's easy to tell from reading this book, that the authors are experienced and knowledgable in this field. It's very much written from an expert, yet humble POV.
Cenk
Feb 08, 2015 Cenk rated it liked it
Shelves: business
The format is written literally as a conversation between the two authors, Ajaz Ahmed & Stefan Olander, two of our generation's most creative and passionate businessmen who are the Chairman and Co-Founder of AKQA and Vice President, Digital Sport, Nike Inc. Boom. The Velocity formula and the laws around is a clever way of explaining how businesses need to be conducted to be successful in today’s very competitive digital economy. I really like the following laws (chapters) in this book:
• “A S
Firdaus
Aug 02, 2015 Firdaus rated it really liked it
This book was given from a good friend of mine (thanks Sarah!). It was a series of interview of the authors upon their experiences in industries. The book talking about optimism and shards on the four principle - speed, direction, acceleration and discipline.
Holly
Feb 01, 2016 Holly rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas, but the downside of it being co-written by a Nike employee means there are only a few examples of how other companies are doing things - it's mainly Team Nike!
Daryl Muranaka
Nov 12, 2014 Daryl Muranaka rated it liked it
Interesting ideas. I like the conversation format, but found some of the ideas a bit too off-the-cuff and a little superficial. I think the seven "laws" are actually very good rules of thumb and applicable to life in general. A more detailed and deeper sequel might be in order.
Roberto Estreitinho
If it wasn't enough that this book was co-written by one of the most important figures in the digital world, with a fantastic view about how digital media helps companies deliver increasingly awesome experiences, products and services, what truly astonished me was that the other author was... his client. Ajaz Ahmed (AKQA) and Stefan Olander (Nike) have crafted a little masterpiece right here, which will make you stick to their conversations (the whole book is written as an exchange of messages b ...more
Charlie Meneses
Apr 04, 2014 Charlie Meneses rated it really liked it
I loved it. Shows how the dynamic of our society is changing, probably I will need other points of view to be included, however, I think is very worthwhile to read it.
Nikola Jankovic
Jan 16, 2014 Nikola Jankovic rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Some nice thinking about changes in business approach, but nothing overwhelmingly new or worth reading the whole book.
Jaffer
Feb 23, 2014 Jaffer rated it really liked it
Nothing new, but a nice, motivating read for product designers and business owners.
Livingston
Apr 01, 2015 Livingston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
One of the best books that I've read in recent times.

In this book, Ajaz Ahmed (AKQA) and Stefan Olander (Nike), provide great insight about doing the right thing in this digital age, from the perspective of an agency and the client.

A must read for anyone, involved in the digital industry — innovators, developers, designer, analysts, marketers, advertisers.
Bjorn Hardarson
Mar 11, 2013 Bjorn Hardarson rated it it was ok
I do not know was an ok book, just my obsession on buying at least one book at the airport, should though have taken Collins or Kanheman. As even though they have something to say I was excpecting something like rework and how it is setup as a converstation between two talented people it did not give much to me to think about
Cata
Sep 17, 2015 Cata rated it it was amazing
Bravo! Thank you for this book, it was inspiring!
Rita
Sep 19, 2015 Rita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
It really isn't something new, but the way it is written is so easy to read and the insight so close to reality (at least the reality I would like to see in the business world) I have to say it's one of the best books I've read in the last years.
Regan Warner
Jan 29, 2013 Regan Warner rated it it was amazing
I'm in the advertising business and this book is genius. Cuts through all the industry bullshit and breaks it down. Working for either of these gentleman would be awe inspiring. I can only hope to use this new knowledge/philosophy every single day. Highly recommend.
Rick Yvanovich
Great perspective on a world gone digital or rather that's just an example of another trend or spike that impacts and shapes biz. I graed Grow just befor this and Wes a lot of resonance between e two, different styles, but some similar important messaging
Alex
Apr 11, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: industry-books
Such a fantastic book for anyone in marketing, digital, mobile, branding. You've got the two most important POV's, the agency and the client. Two of which are leaders in their respective industries. Must read!
Simon Dingle
Aug 13, 2013 Simon Dingle rated it liked it
A crash course in the digital era. One of the best books to recommend to corporate types struggling to understand how business has fundamentally shifted in the 21st century.
Drew Hawkins
May 03, 2013 Drew Hawkins rated it it was amazing
This is hands down one of the best marketing books I've read. Their approach to innovation is applicable to anyone in any job or budget situation.
Ale
Dec 25, 2012 Ale rated it it was amazing

I really liked this book, the rules they mention in this book are those of a company I wish I worked for.
Jose Chapa
Feb 06, 2013 Jose Chapa rated it really liked it
Perfectly summarizes the paradigm changes in Marcom in the last couple of years.
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
  • Make your Idea Matter
  • The Choice
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • The Smarter Screen: Surprising Ways to Influence and Improve Online Behavior
  • Hegarty on Advertising
  • Buyer Personas: How to Gain Insight Into Your Customer's Expectations, Align Your Marketing Strategies, and Win More Business
  • Creative Mischief: 1
  • The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
  • Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • Renegades Write the Rules: How the Digital Royalty Use Social Media to Innovate
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
Ajaz Ahmed is the CEO of AKQA, the ideas and innovation company he founded aged 21. AKQA today employs over 1,500 people in 15 offices around the world. In 2014 AKQA won the Queen’s Award for Enterprise Innovation. Ajaz co-authored Velocity: The Seven New Laws for a World Gone Digital.
More about Ajaz Ahmed...

“IV. Convenient is the enemy of right Velocity needs you to be streamlined. The requisite craftsmanship takes perseverance and discipline. Obsess over important details, and edit ferociously. Never have anything to apologise for.” 0 likes
“You can’t improve what you can’t measure” 0 likes