Start by marking “Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It” as Want to Read:
Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It

Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Poems can teach us in ways that surpass other forms of understanding, especially when the subject concerns matters of the heart. When the heart’s whispers are too faint for us to hear in ordinary ways, poetry can speak to us with another kind of eloquence.

From the leap of joy that a couple takes on their wedding day to a fiftieth wedding anniversary that acknowledges the
Published December 26th 2012 by Shambhala (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage

Erin
I hate poetry. But I know a lot of people don't, so when I saw this book on NetGalley I thought it would be a good time to give it another go. It's poems about marriage, and hey, I like marriage!

I think part of why I (and I suspect others, but maybe I'm projecting) don't like poetry, is that I don't "get" it. I never get it. It makes me feel stupid and small-minded. No matter how many ways I read it, whatever intonations and cadences I try, even reading it aloud, it does not speak to me at all.
Bookie | The BookChick
"Poems teach us in ways that surpass other forms of understanding, especially when the subject concerns matters of the heart."

My Rating: ★★★★

Book Description:

Michelle Moloney King

In Roger Housden’s Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage, we are tendered poems and essays that voice the heart. The selection of poetry offers succour and wisdom on the long path of loves journey.

Housden separates the poems into sections covering: The Joy, The Journey, The Work, The Love, The Union, and The Saving Grace. He introduces the poetry with essays conveying the core of the poems’ glimmer. If you are seeking the lyrical whispers of your heart; this is the book for you.

Housden curates an
Beckey
The book was more than just a collection of poems. It’s a compilation of various authors’ work that created the book.
The poems were divided into six major areas… (Included are the parts or sections of poems I enjoyed in each area)
1. The Joy:
I love you, not only for what you are
But for what I am, when I am with you
I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself
But for what you are helping me to make of myself … (Adapted by Roger Housden)
2. The Journey:
Love one Another, but not mak
Reading in Black & White
Roger Housden has compiled an absolutely wonderful collection of love poems in Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage: And One to Save It. Between each poem, Housden writes an essay that gives some background on the poet and the poem. The book is broken down in six categories: The Joy, The Journey, The Work, The Love, The Union, and The Saving Grace. Overall, this is an excellent complication of poetry that deals specifically with all phases of marriage.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by the pu
Michelle
I have always given this series of books 5 stars, but this one is my least favorite this far. The essays came before sets of poems, which was hard because I hadn't yet read them and I couldn't appreciate what he was trying to say about love. He just reached too far and glossed over too much. I'm going to go back to his 10 poems... series and hopefully discover some new poets and poems to love.
Becky Pliego
I loved 5 of the 20 poems.
Kerri Bloomfield
Kerri Bloomfield marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Katherine Colt
Katherine Colt marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Jessica Harmon
Jessica Harmon marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
E
E marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Erik Oliver
Erik Oliver marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...
Ten Poems to Change Your Life Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation Ten Poems to Open Your Heart Ten Poems to Set You Free Ten Poems to Last a Lifetime