Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack

Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack (Sammy Keyes #15)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  42 reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

Sammy thought she'd seen all the weirdness her town had to offer—and then she met Justice Jack, Santa Martina's very own superhero. Well, really he's just a guy in spandex and a mask who rides around town on a dirt bike, hoping to find some crime to fight.

The old f
Published December 11th 2012 by Yearling (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack

Caradith Craven
Van Draanen delivers another winner with her masterful storytelling. In the fifteenth book in the Sammy Keyes series, readers are introduced to Santa Martina's most colorful, zaniest character ever. Justice Jack rides around town on a dirt bike wearing spandex, a tool belt , and a mask. Is he a crime fighting superhero, or just an attention-grabbing oddball?

Readers are entertained by 304 pages of mystery, relationships, dialogue, fascinating characters, and crazy fun. The sub-plots iintertwine
Maria
A different sort of ending than other Sammy Keyes books. I am constantly amazed at Wendelin Van Draanen's commitment to writing with themes. Justice Jack's main theme was heroes, and was very refreshing amongst a sea of books for teens that revolve strictly around romance, friendship, forgiveness, etc...some of which are great themes, but it's nice to have something besides that. Sure, the plot is more predictable than others in the series. But the theme really redeems the book for me.
Melissa Proffitt
Sammy and her friends are celebrating Christmas, Dutch-style, with Dot Vorhees' family when they meet Justice Jack--a would-be superhero with a motorcycle and a red-and-gold stretchy bodysuit. He's trying to save Santa Martina from crime and villainy, and he'd like Sammy to join him, since she's gained a reputation for solving crimes. (One of my favorite things about this book is that Justice Jack never stops being amazed and slightly horrified that Sammy doesn't wear a costume. Her protests tha ...more
Moussa Niang
1) I enjoyed the book Sammy Keyes and the power of Justice Jack because the author makes the villian look like a hero. For example Sammy found out that Justice Jack is a fraud and has been faking all of these crimes(p.275). Another example is when Sammy found out that Jack's mom stole the mayor's statue. Jack's mom looked innocent at first but ended up a theif in jail(p.283).

2) You would like this book if you like mystery action and other heroic things. I say this because Sammy and friends try t
Cat
This was interesting. I feel like this was the first book where van Draanen moves the mystery to the back seat, and focuses more on the teenager-ness of Sammy and her friends. While there is still a mystery--there's crazy new "superhero" in town, and his inspiration? Sammy! But what happens when he has to find a missing statue?--it takes a backseat to the changing dynamics between Sammy and her best friend, Marissa.
That shift was oddly welcome. One of the most appealing parts of the Sammy Keyes
Claire
Sammy is in 8th grade, she is still slipping into Gram's senior high rise. Hudson is still the wise sidekick. Sammy and Casey have to meet on the down low because of Heather but have settled into a routine. Enter Justice Jack, complicated by the nefarious Wedgie Woman who has disappeared with investments from various folks in the Senior High Rise. Lots of plot bits come together from other books and this provides a satisfying conclusion to the current mysteries and some conflicts that have linge ...more
Yuseyz
This latest Sammy Keyes book is full of new adventures. Marissa turns back into a boy crazy girl. Billy releases his inner superhero. Casey and Sammy are keeping their secret relationship... all the way into the junkyard where someone else has a bigger secret...
Natalie C.
Although the plot was good, I predicted the conclusion from the beginning, and I felt that the foreshadowing was done a little too well. It’s highly unrealistic that she didn’t figure it out sooner considering her detective track record, Sammy even picked up the clues needed! I was a little disappointed that Sammy and Marissa didn’t get the reward money, it would have helped them in their family situations, and Justice Jack really didn’t deserve it. I wish they would have given a little more bac ...more
colleen
i have to say this is new one is my favorite of the series. it had a lot of great scenes, some great detective work and very clear characters. my only complaint is that a couple of plot threads seem to get dropped too easily.
Angela
Not as good as others in the series and fairly transparent as far as the mystery but a surprising development for Sammy near the book's end promises to be a game changer for the series!
Limeminearia
Not the best in the series, but better than the one with the dead cats. plus, i'm always happy to read about Sammy. good series overall.
Jenn Estepp
Good old Sammy Keyes. Not the strongest in the series, especially on mystery front, but it's always good to spend time with her.
Allison
Meghan

Went a little too fast for me and was not the best Sammy Keyes Book but still I couldn't put it down!
Katy
yay for sammy finally starting to grow up a bit. I wish she'd been around when I was a kid - she's fabulous.
Jason

Sammy Keyes and the Power of Justice Jack was a great book because of the desperate actions of a person who wants to become recognized in a city. However, some parts in the story were just so “fast-going” one after another that I couldn’t really keep up with what I was reading, until the very end. The author (Wendelin Van Draanen) described the situation in an immense appeal: “‘With the return of our city’s symbolic statue, my tour as Justice Jack is over. It is now up to you to carry on the wor
Brett
Sammy Keyes is an absolute rock star who can do no wrong, & as her character develops further in each book, I come to love her even more.
Sammy & the gang all know that Santa Martina is home to any number of unusual people & "characters." You don't have to go very far to figure that out. But they've recently run across a startlingly unique local resident while celebrating a Dutch Christmas at their friend Dot's house out in the boonies - a young man who acts as an honest-to-goodness
Reagan
That was... different. But in a good way.

This book was a lot different from what I was expecting. I thought it would be all about Justice Jack and his craziness, but this book was actually very emotional and it had a lot of side things going on. The whole mystery was saved for the end and that made for a very fast-paced story. The characters are just so great. I saw a lot of foreshadowing in this book, and I can't wait to read the next book.

I really loved the character developement in this boo
Luke
Sammy Keyes an the power of justice jack is a great young adult book if you like mystery then this is the boom for you! This is the first Sammy Keyes book I have read and it's not the last!
Alicia
Judy
Mar 30, 2013 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls in grades 5 and up
The Sammy Keyes books are always good to recommend to pre-teen and teenage girls. Told in the first person, the story has humor, usual and unusual adolescent problems and relationships, and just a touch of romance (nothing more than the occasional kiss). This is one of the very few series where I've read every book--they're that good. Encourage girls to start with Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief, which sets the scene for all the subsequent books. After that, it's helpful but not essential to rea ...more
Naomi Schmidt
Sammy Keyes never disappoints. When Justice Jack, a real live superhero turns up in Santa Martina, Sammy isn't really surprised. Her friends and her better judgement tell her not to get involved, but that's a pretty tall order for Sammy Keyes. Wendelin Van Draanan packs so many subplots into her books, it was easy for me to lose sight of the "mystery", but it was there, and, of course, it gets solved. Hope I didn't ruin the ending for you there.
Yapha
Sammy Keyes is back! Her small town of Santa Martina has a new superhero, Justice Jack. But is he really who he says he is? And where has her grandmother's neighbor, Mrs. Wedgewood disappeared to? I really enjoyed this book, much more so than the last few Sammy Keyes books. It feels like she is back to the original Sammy Keyes that I knew and loved in the beginning of the series. Highly recommended for fans of the series.
Katherine
I'm a Sammy Keyes fan. I've read all of the current books in the series. To be honest, I felt that this book wasn't as captivating as the others. It didn't focus enough on the mystery portion of this book. It focused more on Sammy's personal life. Also, I felt that the events in the book dragged.
Liana
This was a little more far-fetched than other Sammy Keyes books because Sammy doesn't really find herself wrapped up in a mystery, she just decides she's going to snoop around and solve something herself.

Also it features the character Billy Pratt a lot, and I never really felt like he was as real of a person as a lot of the other ones.

Still, it's Sammy Keyes, so I liked it.
mindless angel
I have been with Sammy and Wendelin for as long as I remember, but this has to be her crazest book yet. True Sammy has face badder " bad guys" but none like Justice Jack. Just like all the Sammmy Keyes books it pulled my into her world at the first word, not wanting to let me go until the very end. To the author I say, I can't wait for the next book.
Beth
This was a great addition to one of my favorite series. I enjoyed seeing how Sammy reacts to Justice Jack's attempts to solve mysteries, how her friends continue to grow and change, and how funny Sammy's comments on her life stil are. While the "power" of Justice Jack wasn't as simple as I expected it to be, it was a powerful conclusion indeed.
Desiree
Sammy is growing up and questioning her own goals for her life. There were of course the usually awesomely weird characters. I love some of Justice Jack's sayings like, "Giving a non-stop tour of stomp city". I really liked this book. I really like the way the author dealt with the quirks in friendships but kept it fun and interesting.
Anna
4.5
Obviously I loved it!
Jan
This is the first Sammy Keyes book I've read. She's a delightful, smart-mouthed heroine. Readers from Santa Maria will have fun figuring out barely fictionalized "Santa Martina" locations (and even a few personalities).
Sammy keyes forever: New books: Power of Justice Jack 1 6 Jan 19, 2012 02:47PM
  • The Secret Cellar (The Red Blazer Girls, #4)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Bones of the Holy  (Gilda Joyce, #5)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #6)
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • The Phantom of the Post Office (43 Old Cemetery Road, #4)
  • Samurai Shortstop
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • The Puzzler's Mansion (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #3)
  • Secrets at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #11)
  • The Case That Time Forgot (The Sherlock Files #3)
  • On the Blue Comet
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)