Start by marking “Yum-o! The Family Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Yum-o! The Family Cookbook

Yum-o! The Family Cookbook

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  20 reviews
No one has helped more families find time to fit home-cooked meals into their daily routines than Rachael Ray. Now with the help of Yum-o!, the organization she founded to help kids and adults develop a healthier relationship to food and cooking, she has put together the ultimate family cookbook, which includes recipes that both kids and their parents will love cooking–and ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published April 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Yum-o! The Family Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yum-o! The Family Cookbook

Sara
Okay. So I like Rachael Ray as much as the next gal, and this was supposed to be her cookbook for the "family" to use. I suppose the recipes are kid-friendly enough (especially if your kid is a fairly adventurous eater) but all I learned from this book is that she so obviously does NOT have "itty-bitties" as she refers to them. Okay for a cookbook in general (although she uses an obsene amounts of ingredients, if you ask me) but most definately not a "family" cookbook.
Monique
Rachael is one of my favorite FoodTV stars. I love her 30-minute meals as I’m a working mother of two and having dinner done is a priority. Rachael has complied favorites in all areas while adding family pictures, stories, complete menus, mouth-watering photos and much more. I’ve added about 50 sticky notes to make my new go-to recipes easy to find. Even though this book is dated back in 2006, I know it will be one of my favorites for years to come. YUM-O!
Laura Jean
Dec 26, 2009 Laura Jean rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura Jean by: lauradrapcho@yahoo.com
Almost never watch either of her shows (my tv programming tastes run toward crime procedurals and British silliness)

but I own 1 of her kids' cookbooks. Took this one out of the library. It is singlehandedly helping me to get back into the kitchen with my own children and doing something I love.

Best of all, most of the recipes are available online, on the website
yum-o.org

Accessible, user-friendly, eatable by the whole family.

Jeanne
I am a bit of a cookbook addict and I'm generally a Rachael Ray fan. Having said that, I didn't find much useful about this book. I think the recipes are far too sophisticated for most children's palates and that seems to be her target audience for this one. I would love to see her do a book geared to her 30-minute meal show -- one that has the recipes/timetables for the entire meal, not just the entree. Are you listening Rachael?
Marjanne
Jul 15, 2008 Marjanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes cooking
Shelves: cook-sew-etc
I really like the premise of this book, which is that families need to eat dinner together (not to mention cook it together) and that they need to eat healthy food. There were a ton of recipes that looked good. I am actually trying three of them this week. I really like that the meals are generally simple, don't take too long to make, but are healthy (mostly). I am excited to see how the recipes taste.
Leigh
Honestly, I got a kick out of this cookbook. Interesting, fun recipes and practical, real-life suggestions. I would have given it five stars, but in some sections, the writing is just a little TOO cutesy e.g. "lunchtime today will be interactive and dip-a-licious!"

But it's a very good book and I recommend it.
Maggie
I just got this book from the library and so far it looks really good. I have Rachael Ray 2 and love it, but haven't really loved one of her books since then. I just might like this one enough to buy it. First, I'll try a couple recipes out!
Mamafeelgood
Checked this out today and quickly read through it. Found some great breakfast ideas that I will definitely be using as well as some lunch recipes.
Lots of great ideas for getting your kids into the kitchen.
Kristen
I tried a couple of these recipes, and they were delicious! The recipes in this book are much easier and made with more normal ingredients than some of her other books. Good for families with kids.
Nancy
Little too sophisticated for children's palates, which is the target audience. There are a few gems in there though. I can't really complain since I only paid five dollars used for it.
Traci
I think R.R. makes good things on her show, but everything I have tried to make from her cookbooks has been disappointing- I made a few recipes from this, they were just okay.
Nancy
This has a lot of great ideas for kid food that is adult friendly. I've enjoyed everything I've made so far from this book. So have my kids and husband.
Chris
I agree with other reviewers that this cookbook isn't that kid-friendly, but it has some great recipes so it's still a keeper.
Samantha
I really can't stand Rachael Ray but this is actually a good cookbook. Some very tasty, easy recipies in here...
Carla Ehrenreich
really didn't find anything on first flip thru and not inspired to look further.
Jen
I thought there would be more recipes I'd be interested in....not so much.
E
good for cooks who are short on time. all the recipes are very manageable.
Gwen
recipes! haven't tried any yet tho.
Matt Brown
Yumo is the PERFECT word for this book.
Laura Lubak
Laura Lubak marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Annie Erbacher
Annie Erbacher marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Beth
Beth is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Renae
Renae marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
  • The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco
  • The Deen Family Cookbook
  • The Dinner Doctor
  • Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • The Beginner's Guide to Preserving Food at Home: Easy Techniques for the Freshest Flavors in Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Relishes, Salsas, Sauces, and Frozen and Dried Fruits and Vegetables
  • Lidia's Italy
  • The Flexitarian Table: Inspired, Flexible Meals for Vegetarians, Meat Lovers, and Everyone in Between
  • Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
  • The Best of Cooking Light: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
  • Even More Top Secret Recipes: More Amazing Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos
  • Mrs. Fields Cookie Book: 100 Recipes from the Kitchen of Mrs. Fields
  • The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket
Rachael Domenica Ray is a two-time Emmy-nominated television personality and author. She hosts the syndicated talk/lifestyle program Rachael Ray and two Food Network series, 30 Minute Meals and Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels. Ray has also written a series of cookbooks based on the 30 Minute Meals concept, and launched a magazine, Every Day with Rachael Ray, in 2006.

Prior to the launch of her talk sho
More about Rachael Ray...
Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners 30-Minute Meals 30-Minute Meals 2 Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals: What to Keep on Hand, What to Buy Fresh for the Easiest-Ever 30-Minute Meals Get Togethers: Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals