Start by marking “A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America” as Want to Read:
A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America

A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"A genuinely Catholic life should feed the soul as well as the mind; should offer a vision of men and women made whole by the love of God, the knowledge of creation, and the reality of things unseen; should enable us to see the beauty of the world in the light of eternity; and should help us recapture the nobility of the human story and the dignity of the human person. Thi ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Image (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart on Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart on Fire

Bojan Tunguz
Over the years Archbishop Chaput has become one of the most ardent and prominent Catholic voices in matters that concern the role that religion plays in the public life of the American republic. His book Render Unto Caesar is one of the definitive contemporary views on such topics. Even though Archbishop Chaput obviously comes from a Catholic theological and intellectual tradition, his views are ecumenical and appeal to the widest cross-section of people interested in the proper relationship bet ...more
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
This book was splendid! It reveals a lot about what we should know and what we should do. It is given from a Catholic perspective as the author is a Catholic bishop from Pennsylvania, but I believe that all Christians should read this anyway. We should all know what is coming if we don't already know.
Highly recommended!
William Van
Outstanding clarity and precision of thought! This short essay is to be the foreword of Render unto Caesar.
Jeffrey Hite
I normally would not write a review of an article, but the take away from this one was too much to ignore and let go silently.

I did give this article 5 stars and if I could have given it more I would have. The insight was incredibly profound.

For those of you wondering if this is just an article about being Catholic it is not, it is about being religious in America. It does focus on the problems within the Catholic church. But, the problems facing the Catholic Church are not unique, and are bein
Marisa Slusarcyk
Nov 01, 2012 Marisa Slusarcyk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I enjoyed reading this book. It opened my eyes to issues I had already recognized but not necessarily acknowledged. I have felt over the last year the pull to start attending church again and my biggest apprehension has now been revealed to me. I was scared about what SOCIETY would think of me walking into church alone after all these years away. This book came at exactly the right time. It helped me to see that I should quit making up worldly excuses to avoid the God I live for and love.

This b
Meagan Myhren-bennett
A Heart on Fire
by Charles J Chaput

In the modern world freedom of press and of speech demands immunity from censorship and control. But in the last 60 years freedom of thought and expression has slowly been eroding in the world of journalism. Opposing thoughts are silenced so that the accepted truth is never challenged.

Journalism is a profession of knowledge, but today many in the profession have a disdain and lack of understanding about religion and the core values of life. When we openly accep
Chad Torgerson
In A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America, Archbishop Chaput explores the importance of religious freedom in the United States – and the world. Recent political policies have begun to put this freedom in danger, and Archbishop Chaput warns us not to take this lightly.

This short ebook is a concise look at the very specific problems we face today. If you hold your freedom close to your heart, you will enjoy this book. If you have been wondering what all of the fuss is about, this b
Jeff Cann
I enjoyed this overview. Archbishop Chaput is unapologetic in proclaiming the truth revealed to us through our Christian faith.

Non-Catholics may struggle to make sense of this text because his brevity leaves out context important and supportive of his points.

Ultimately he is writing to Catholics to encourage us to convert our own hearts so those around us will see this conversion and b inspired to convert their own hearts.
Mindy
Available only electronically and for 99 cents, I was disappointed that this was so short (under 40 pages) but feel they are a very important 40 or so pages pertaining to religious freedom in America. An injection of truth at a vital time, this text will appeal to people of all faiths, I think...but you may want to simply jump to his longer book on much the same subject: "Render Unto Caesar."
Jeff Wombold
I really didn't understand what this was all about. I thought this was a book and it was a whitepaper instead with part of it an excerpt from another book. it seemed to me to be politically based and in my opinion the church needs to stay out of politics.
Gil Michelini
Great insight of the current state of the USA. Recommend this short book for any Catholic who cares about the direction our country and what we can do to help.
Don
If you want a rewritten version of the history of religious liberty, then read this. Otherwise, spend your time (and money) better elsewhere.
Amy
Absolutely outstanding. It was very short and well worth the read. My big takeaway: we need to kindle the fire.
Kazango
Short. Frankly I thought it was too short. But the excerpt from Render Unto Caesar was worth the price of admission.
Sam Fink
A brief extract; I recommend reading the broader precursor book.
John
Quick read
Barb Nelson
Barb Nelson marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Heath Morber
Heath Morber marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Andrea Mudd
Andrea Mudd marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Nan
Nan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput was born September 26, 1944, in Concordia, Kansas, the son of Joseph and Marian DeMarais Chaput. He attended Our Lady of Perpetual Help Grade School in Concordia and St. Francis Seminary High School in Victoria, Kansas. He joined the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin, St. Augustine Province, in 1965.

After earning a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from St. Fidelis College S
More about Charles J. Chaput...
Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life Living the Catholic Faith: Rediscovering the Basics Vatican Council II Word of God: Dei Verbum Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God