Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books))

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson board the Titanic on its ill-fated maiden voyage, where Holmes is to carry out a secret governmentmission.

Soon after departure, highly important submarine plans for the US navy are stolen.Holmes and Watson must work through a list of suspects which includes Colonel James Moriarty, brother to the lateProfessor Moriarty - but will they find the
Published March 13th 2012 by Titan Books (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Judy Thomas
To a lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan, the new series, The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes put out by Titan Books, is a match made in heaven. The author, William Sell, takes on Dr. Watson's role and does such a masterful job at capturing the voice of the original that, when I read an excerpt to my husband (also a Holmes fan), his comment? "I thought I had read all the Sherlock Holmes books."

This volume finds Holmes and Dr. Watson on the Titanic, carrying out a secret government mission. I enjo
Devon
Marleen
The year is 1912 and Dr. Watson is living alone in rooms in Piccadilly, writing historical novels, while Sherlock Holmes has retired to the South Downs where he keeps bees and conducts scientific experiments. For both men, the time of mysteries and adventures seems very firmly a thing of the past.
On the 9th of April though, Dr. Watson admits an unexpected visitor who turns out to be government official with a message from Holmes.
The retired investigator has been convinced to travel to America on
Autumn
It was okay. Okay, maybe that is stretching it but the author got fan fiction published and is getting paid for it... he gets one additional star for pulling that off.

But all in all? It was BAD fan fiction. I've read better, and I've read FAR better Sherlock Holmes (based on Doyle's books, not any of the series) fan fiction that is not published and the authors are not getting royalty checks for.

Will I read more of this series? Oh probably. There are times you want to curl up with a bad book onl
Victoria Moore
In William Seil's "the further adventures of Sherlock Holmes The Titanic Tragedy" I discovered how delightful Holmes and Dr. John Watson could be even when they had to work on a case aboard the doomed ship the "Titanic". What made them particularly fun, despite the fact that they'd both retired and were a lot older than in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle series or the new PBS Masterpiece Mystery program, "Sherlock", was the way they interacted with the other characters in the book and proceeded to s ...more
Cody Tucker
There is no denying the research that Seil put into this work. Mix that with his excellent impression of Doyle's narrative voice and one would believe that they had a great Holmes story on their hands. Yet, what it lacks is that it is very slow while the story's actual mystery does not spark the reader's inner-detective. I wish that I could have been more interested in the case, but the story does not give one much to go with. Yes, I cared about who the culprit was. But, the story did not give e ...more
Amol More
I was bored for first 50 pages or so. Then it got exiting.
Tarissa
I'm certainly a Holmes fan, and I enjoy studying about the Titanic. So when I located this book, which combined 2 of my favorite interests, I had to read it right away! Now that I have finished it, I'll say it was a good book. I didn't feel a true Holmes vibe from it (that is to be expected from another author), nor did I get an authentic Titanic feeling, but the plot was good enough to keep me busy reading it. Sometimes I think the author overdid it on the amount of secrets that Captain Smith m ...more
Rose
This is one of those curious books wherein I spot the title in a bookstore, stop to stare at the cover for a few moments, and then stand there in high amazement, thinking, "My Gawd, somebody's written a book *specifically for me*." By which I mean: a book has been presented to me with a premise so perfectly matching up to several of my key interest points that I have no choice BUT to conclude that the Universe has somehow specifically created this story just for me.

I have no great love of James
Carl
Since it was the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of "Titanic," it seemed fitting to read a book or two about the Titanic. So I purchased “A Night to Remember” by Walter Lord, which is brilliant, and I took a chance on this so-called "previously unpublished" story of Holmes, “The Titanic Tragedy.” Since we all know that the ship sinks, it certainly removes some of the suspense; still, I wondered just what the author, William Seil, was going to do with Holmes and the Titanic. He certainly wasn’t ...more
Amy
Eh. Not really all that exciting. I found Watson not all that exciting, and he needs to be an exciting character in order for Sherlock Holmes books to really work.

Most of the time, I found myself just waiting for the ship to sink, hoping that would add some much needed suspense, but even that failed the mark. Book did pick up a bit in the last 3rd.

Book seemed to describe a lot of unnecessary detail, both with past Sherlock Homes cases, and facts about The Titanic that it was a bit of a leap for
Jennifer Petkus
I have to admit I had low hopes for putting Sherlock Holmes and John H. Watson on the Titanic, but The Titanic Tragedy surprised me and I don’t think I was unduly influenced by the hoopla surrounding the 100th anniversary of the sinking … but it helped.

William Seil’s novel was first published in 1996 but is now part of the collection called The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes published by Titan Books. Seil’s skill is evident as he manages to put us on the Titanic without the iceberg loomin
Bill Lancaster
I did not have high hopes for this book. It was a gift to me by a person who knows me well, but who is not a reader and had not read the book himself. But after the first 30 pages, I was hooked.

The book is part of a series of new Sherlock Holmes books from Titan Books that includes stories of Sherlock in a variety of new settings contemporary with his time. The author, William Seil, is obviously a close and observant student of Arthur Conan Doyle. Told from the perspective of Dr. Watson, the nov
Denise Barney
In the 100th Anniversary if the sinking of "Titanic," it seemed fitting to read this " previously unpublished" story of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

Watdin receives a cryptic message from his old friend, along with a ticket for the maiden voyage of the Titanic. Although Holmes is traveling jncognito, his friend recognizes him. It is soon revealed what their assignment is and it involves the daughter of Irene Adler. Missing plans and murder set the stage for a "locked room" mystery where no one
Xavier Bibby
I think this was a very good book. It was very intriguing. It had a very good rising action and hooked me from the start. the crime kept me reading because the offender would have been still on the boat and I wanted to see who did the crime.
Steve
Sherlock and Watson take the Titanic on a mission to America. While on board, surrounded by intrigue and espionage.
Hard to get past the idea of Holmes and Watson being on board the Titanic and surviving. Plus Holmes is supposed to be in disguise through most of the voyage, but Holmes and Watson take little if any precaution in how they interact while on the ship. It would seem that they had been friends for years to a casual observer instead of having met on the ship.

It was enjoyable overall and
Fred Hughes
A great Sherlock tale aboard the Titanic. Full review to follow
Jim
Even better than expected!
Kate
Peter
This was a fun read. The author did a very nice job of adding Sherlock Holmes to a historical tragedy. The sinking of the Titanic is only in the last two to three chapters of the book, and isn't covered in very much detail. I was very much relieved by this. The mystery is a basic one, stolen government submarine plans, but the real center of the story is the friendship of Watson and Holmes. Even later in the careers, you can see the friendship between these two iconic characters.
Ramkishan Nekkanti
Oh God! I am ashamed to have spent five hours on this book. Its a disgrace to be called a sherlock holmes story. If it wasnt for my habit for finishing every book i take up, i would have long since thrown it out. There is absolutely no suspense, no intrigue, nothing which tries to hold the readers interest. Half the story is compeltely unrelated and its boring boring boring. I could probably spin a better story if i tried. Sheesh.
Diana Gagliardi
Apr 16, 2012 Diana Gagliardi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Having a hard time keeping up with this- it is (by requirement) SO contrived that it's tough going. So far they are still in the set up, and the set up must be hurried and inexact because we all know what's going to happen... ::sigh:: Not sure if I will finish this one cause I went and found AWESOME Holmes (Laurie R King) which makes this one even more ridiculous.
Kathy
Silly but fun. I'm a huge Sherlock fan, read all the Conan Doyle's many times over and enjoy reading other attempts at writing about Sherlock's adventures. This wasn't as well written as the Mary Russell stories but it was clever and wove fact and fiction together effectively.
Penny
Thought this would be an entertaining twist combining Holmes with the Titanic but it doesn't really work. It's all rather contrived and the language and actions are just wrong for Holmes and Watson. An imaginative try that doesn't quite hit the mark.
Joanna
Pretty entertaining. Though I wish I wish I wish it were more dramatic. I mean... the Titanic! How can it not have oh so much drama! But as it is it just kinda... sinks... during what seems like the last 20 pages. Oh well.
Caidyn
It was decent. A bit deceptive with what way it was going and how all the pieces were going to fit together in the end. Definitely a jumbled piece that could have been fixed, but it was overall a good mystery.
John
An excellent Holmes addition. All of the supporting characters are very interesting and Seil does a great depiction of Holmes, and especially, Watson. The historical setting of the Titanic adds to the story.
F
Seil does an excellent job sticking to the Doyle characterizations of Holmes, Watson and Moriarty [unlike Nicholas Meyer] and has also very obviously done his research on the Titanic. A worthy read.
Alex Boyd
William Seil does an excellent job of reproducing the voice of Watson in an engaging mystery, even as he includes some interesting details about the Titanic that don't distract from the story.
Shawn Manning
I've read worse Holmes stories. I did go in with low expectations, which fortunately weren't met. If you're desperate for Holmes, this'll get you through, although the end was a bit much.
Baker Street Irre...: The Titanic Tragedy by William Seil 1 7 May 07, 2012 02:11PM
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books) (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Holmes
Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy (Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) The Further Advertures of Sherlock Holmes The Titanic Tradegy The Titanic Tragedy (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)