Start by marking “No One But You” as Want to Read:
No One But You

No One But You

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  743 ratings  ·  65 reviews
More Than Words: Bestselling authors & Real-life heroines

We all have the power to effect change--we just need to find the strength to harness it. With every good deed done, and helping hand offered, we are making the world a better place. The dedicated women selected as this year's recipients of Harlequin's More Than Words award have changed many lives for the better,
Published April 2012 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about No One But You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One But You

Judy
No One But You by Jillian Hart
This is a fictional story but contains the truth of spousal abuse. Mariah Duncan had left her husband when her son Jake was still just a toddler. She realized the danger he not only posed to her but their son. Fifteen years later she has opened her own shelter, Mary's Place. She is independent and distrustful of men. When a man from her past enters back into her life she finds her heart trying to open once again and the fear of that happening.

Wyatt Royce is a broken
LaFleurBleue
A bit too short and therefore a quick read with lots of things remaining superficial.
I would have liked to know how Mariah, after hving dumped her high-school sweetheart whom she felt was too domineering found herself married to someone who finally abuses her.
I would also have liked to know what Jake, Mariah's now teenage kid, knows about his biological father, and how he dealt with that (at 15 or 16, he cannot not ask questions and think about it when a new man comes into the picture).
I did no
Lynda
Mariah Duncan was a domestic abuse survivor, divorced and a single parent when Wyatt Royce, an ex-boyfriend from high school days re-entered her life unexpectedly. Wyatt had a controlling nature during their earlier relationship and after her experiences with a controlling abusive ex-husband; Mariah had no plans to get close to any man ever. She established a shelter for abused women and children similar to the shelter she found refuge after her ordeal. Her passion for helping others reaffirmed ...more
Danae Ringsby
This book is wonderful! I loved every word of it. The under lying story behind it is not so good but the characters within the story line know how to handle tough situations and are always willing to help out a friend in need. Jillian Hart knows how to tell a story but at the same time keep her readers interested in the storyline.

Mariah Duncan was a victim of abuse from her husband years and she currently runs a women’s shelter for other abuse victims. She is in the process of getting a bigger
Stefanie
Absolutely loved this book. In this book you saw the after effects that domestic abuse can leave on a woman. Mariah was very closed off and after divorcing her husband never thought she would trust another man let alone open herself up to love. But Wyatt showed her that she didn't need to be afraid anymore and that all men weren't like her ex. Overall really good story and I loved the epilogue.
Dorel
This is the first Jillian Hart book I read. I really like how the author gives you a glimpse into a domestic violence victims life. I really love how Mariah didn't let situation stop her from loving again. I really admired Mariah for opening Mary's House. This was free book worth reading. I would definitely read more books by this author.
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Easy characters to relate with. Mariah is easy going mom for the most part.Her son Jake is a hoot! Love him.He is the more open minded and has the willingness to trust.I love how he picks at his mother to get points across to her. (Clever little dude)When an old flame from the past come waltzing into Mariah's little comfortable life,things begin to change and quickly.
Wyatt Royce is taken back to the past when he see's Mariah.He can't help but the love for her that had formed so many years ago.
Marla
This was a wonderful short story. This books was in honor of a real person. This book was about spousal abuse and in the end a love so very strong.
elaine m. suda
Sweet and enlightening story

Sweet and enlightening story

I really enjoyed reading this story. It was surprising to see the statistics that were shown at the end of the book. Unfortunately, we don't always know what is happening next door and some women are locked into these ugly relationships. I am glad there are these shelters to help the women and their children to not only cope, but to better their lives. Thank you for all the good you are doing. I look forward to reading more of Jillian Hart'
Patrice
I definitely liked the concept of the story. It's about a formerly abused wife, Mariah, who found the courage to leave her abusive husband with her toddler son and found the help she neeeded at an amazing women's shelter. She is compelled to create a similar shelter in her old home town. There her first boyfriend, Wyatt, shows up unexpectedly. They each felt that their teenage relationship and subsequent break-up were both somewhat "challenging". Mariah feels that Wyatt was always trying to cont ...more
writer...
Jillian Hart writes this story in honouring the work of Mary Byberg, a committed volunteer for Nellie's Shelter for Women and Children in Toronto, Ontario.

She has written a fictional account of a young mom, Mariah DUncan, who has taken her toddler son, Jake, and left her marriage after living w/ violent spousal abuse. The care she received while staying at Nellie's Shelter, influences her greatly, resulting in her answering her call to go on to found her own shelter in her home town.

The story in
Morgan Wyatt
No One But You by Jillian Hart is part of Harlequin’s More than Words projects that allows noteworthy authors to write on important topics, even highlighting pioneers and leaders in the field. No One But You tackles the sensitive topic of domestic violence. Mariah, our heroine, is a domestic abuse survivor and runs a center for abused woman.

Mariah never expects to date again, never mind love. Life threw her a cruel curve in the form of her ex-husband Jasper. Having escaped the prison of domestic
#SwaggyG!
No One But You was based on a true story about a women, Mariah, who is struggling in life with her teenage son, Jake, were abused by her ex- husband, Jasper. When Mariah thinks there is no hope left in the world, her ex boyfriend from high school, Wyatt, comes along and starts making everything better. Not just for her but for Jake too. This book was very sweet, short and to the point. It had its long moments but you knew the entire time that something would happen. This is based on a true story ...more
Emmie
I loved this story. Two people shattered by life, both afraid and hopeful at the same time. It also touches a very relevant topic of domestic abuse. All in all a very worthy read. It reminds us that there are women and children who suffer and the ways of becoming involved, both directly and indirectly...
Karleigh
Great, easy read

Great, easy read

A very heart warming story! This is a short story but includes a meaningful message about domestic violence that can be happening anywhere.
Jeanie Harper
This book clearly illustrates the rues that women get used on them in abusive situations and that as women, we should exit the relationships sooner.

There would be less fatalities.

merie logsdon/woods
Every woman should read this book.

Just going thru what all abuse in past from men this book was good therapy for me. It let me realize I'm not alone..
Lillie
I appreciated that the book was written in honor of a real-life director of a women's shelter. The story was a pleasant, but short, old-lovers-reunited romance.
Cecy
I enjoyed reading this book. It was good and fast read. Got this ebook free online. Interesting story about domestic violence and finding love again.
Maria Bonano
A very nice story. The domestic violence is too common to ignore and should not be ignored.
Angel **Book Junkie**
Domestic Violence is very important to me so I fell in love with Mariah and her ideas to help those who are victims. I think the book fell short on giving background into her first marriage and the subject of domestic violence which is the ONLY reason I did not give it a 5 instead of a 4. I also love a story when high school sweethearts who never really got the chance to say good bye meet again by chance. I think Mariah's son loving Wyatt so much early on gave me the feeling that he trusts way t ...more
Jessie
Part of harlequin's series of short novels based on "real heroines."

Former abuse victim Mariah now runs a women's shelter patterned after the one that helped her. During a fund-raising event she runs into high-school flame Wyatt and the sparks are still there. But, she's not sure she wants to risk another relationship...

Wyatt has his own past issues, but finds himself drawn to both Mariah and her teenage son Jake.

A really well done short novel about two hurting people facing the possibility
Sharon
Loved it. It was short and sweet.
Amruta
Its just OK... Not that captivating...
Barbara
This is a novella based on the life of a real person. The main character runs a women's shelter, and has been a victim of domestic violence herself. The characters in the story are well developed, it was a clean romance, which I appreciated, and the banter between Mariah, Wyatt, and her teenage son, Jake, was realistic and funny. The story, in the end, was just too short for Jillian Hart to work quite the magic she usually does; I would have liked to know much more about what happened next. It i ...more
Nancy Fornataro
For me this is a 3-1/2 book, as so many sentences had a very awkward feel reading forward, and I constantly needed to go back and re-read to make sense of the words. The topic is very contemporary, battered women and the author did a good job in bringing forward the obvious reluctance of the heroine to engage in any further encounters with men. The fact that a battered women lived next door to the woman seemed a bit convenient to the plot, but as a reader I was glad she got help in the end. Basi ...more
Terrie
The book is inspired by the work of Mary Byberg, a committed volunteer for Nellie's Shelter for Women and Children in Toronto, Canada. Although published by Harlequin, this book was clean and uplifting, and included in their "More Than Words" program.
Rachel Lynn Sterling
This was a nice easy read. Even though the story revolves around the heavy subject of domestic abuse, it sort of soft stepped around those areas and didn't get too dark. Now this can be seen as a good or bad thing. It didn't make light of domestic abuse, but it didn't get too deep into the heart of the subject either. In my opinion, it is a romance, so the author took the right approach. It did really keep my interest and I really felt for the characters. I think I even had tears in my eyes duri ...more
Mags
nothing inappropriate that I can remember. Love the story premise. A woman helping abused wives
Christine
I'm not opposed to short stories, but this one felt a bit too incomplete. One minute the main character is against a relationship and in the next, she's all for it. I don't know, maybe I just didn't connect well with the characters. Overall the story was OK and is good for a quick read, but don't expect much out of it.
  • Hooked
  • Maxwell's Smile
  • Good Neighbors (Harlequin More Than Words)
  • Light This Candle
  • Heartfire (Search For Love, #5)
  • Just Joe (Harlequin More Than Words)
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • A Cowboy for Christmas
  • Can't Let Go
  • Steven   (Dallas Billionaires #1)
  • Second Chance Romance (Up in Flames #1)
  • A Valentine from Harlequin: Six Degrees of Romance
  • The Girl Across the Street
  • You Are Here
  • Until You
  • Coming Home
  • Fallen Angel
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana #2)
Jillian Hart grew up on her family's homestead in Washington state, where she raised cattle, rode horses and scribbled stories in her spare time.
After earning her English degree from Whitman College, she worked in travel and advertising before selling her first novel.
When Jillian isn't working on her next story, she can be found puttering around her rose garden, curled up with a good book and sp
More about Jillian Hart...
Homespun Bride (The McKaslin Clan Historical #2) A McKaslin Homecoming (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #5) Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1) Blind-Date Bride (The McKaslin Clan: Series 4, #1)