Start by marking “Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill” as Want to Read:
Kilimanjaro:  One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill

Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill (World Adventurers Series)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The first book in the World Adventurers Series, Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill chronicles the author's attempt to summit Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa. At forty years old and on the verge of a midlife crisis, he tried to change his life by climbing a mountain. This is his true story of facing Kilimanjaro and other challenges at middle ...more
Published March 31st 2012 by Brilliance Press

To ask other readers questions about Kilimanjaro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kilimanjaro

Roses at Dusk by M.W. RussellThe Transient by M.W. RussellBound By Blood by Patti RobertsRelics by Maer WilsonCornered Coyote by Dianne Harman
Upcoming Releases & New Releases
236th out of 620 books — 1,011 voters
Blood River by Tim ButcherChasing the Devil by Tim ButcherThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverOut of Africa by Isak DinesenThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Best books for an African Safari
124th out of 398 books — 646 voters

More lists with this book...

August McLaughlin
Jan 19, 2013 August McLaughlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As MG Edwards departs the confines of his usual life in seek of something more, his hike up Africa's tallest mountain becomes an analogy for personal change. While he delves almost exclusively into his own thoughts and experiences and relates little to the mountain or guides, the real story is in shifting the direction of his life. He contemplates leaving his job in the U.S. Foreign Service State Department to pursue the craft of writing, relaying valuable insight and lessons.

I felt that some of
Lada Ray
Jul 13, 2012 Lada Ray rated it it was amazing
Conquering your own Kilimanjaro

This book is about many things. At forty, the author, M.G. Edwards, finds himself at a crossroads. Leaving behind the unfulfilling job as part of the American Foreign Service, he embarks on a grueling, excruciating, and at times scary, journey to the top of Africa, the famous Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Sound familiar? How many of us have gone through the same thing at some point in our lives? How many left an unfulfilling job behind, packed a backpack or a suitcase and embar
David Cassidy
Dec 09, 2012 David Cassidy rated it it was amazing
When I began reading Kilimanjaro: One Man’s Quest To Go Over The Hill, I quickly realized two things. First, M. G. Edwards is a superbly talented writer. Second, anything is possible.

This inspirational true story chronicles the day-by-day hiking trek to the summit of Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain. Fascinating by itself, the real story is the courage and fortitude of the author as he summons the will to confront not only the perils of the mountain, but a far more dangerous demon: a burni
Donna Robison
May 09, 2012 Donna Robison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M.G. Edwards’ Kilimanjaro: One Man’s Quest to Go Over the Hill represents as much of an extraordinary personal journey as it is a physical challenge.

Forty years old and on the verge of midlife crisis, the author is at a crossroad – continue in an unfulfilling career as an American Diplomat or follow his heart’s true desire since childhood of becoming a writer. One choice brings admiration, glamor, security, but also dissatisfaction; the other is tentative at best. He writes:

“The future weighed o
Misti Debonno
May 06, 2012 Misti Debonno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Kilimanjaro takes you on an epic journey of self-discovery as you enjoy one man's battle with both a mid-life crisis and the penultimate challenge of a mountain that peaks at 19,340 feet and destroys many a person along its path. The mountain is brought to life with great descriptions of its beauty, charm and also that of its perilous threat. Yet surprisingly his quest ignites the desire for a more rewarding life that is within us all, though sometimes buried. It is a gem of a book, that urges y
Robert Sutherland
M.G. Edwards account of his hike up Kilimanjaro was a metaphor for his life. Stuck in a job that was unfulfilling and in the midst of a self-proclaimed mid-life crisis, Edwards teamed up with three others to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Stationed in Africa with the State Department, he was ready to quit his job, but first he had to prove to himself that he could do something major.
Full of self doubt, he often compares himself to the fictional Harry Street, of Hemingway's "Snows of Kilimanjaro."
I've r
David Holtzclaw
Jun 14, 2012 David Holtzclaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kilimanjaro," was a very inspiring & good read! I received it as a gift through the First Reads promotion by Goodreads, & truly appreciate the book as well as getting to know about new authors! Mike's story hit home in a lot of ways, & continued to have me pulling for him on his way to the summit.I think anyone would enjoy his story, whether being an "outdoor" type, or regular city folk. Kudos to Mike for his stamina & decisions made!
Crystal Scruggs
I will elaborate on this fantastic book more after I get some shut eye. I read a chapter or two every night. I am a busy girl in the A.M. I became enraptured by this well written true story I must say.
Nastasia Verheijen
May 08, 2016 Nastasia Verheijen rated it really liked it
Personal and inspiring!

The book is written in an incredibly personal way. The writer gives insight in his thoughts and feelings while climbing Kili. Mr. Edwards doesn't shy away from negative experiences and thoughts while on the mountain. The route was also described nicely and the pictures definitely added an extra touch. To me this book was well worth the read. If you are planning to climb Kili this is a book to read to inspire you, to dig deeper and climb higher.
Elizabeth
Did not love this book and would not recommend it, EXCEPT for the part where it included people I know, which is always fun to read about. But overall, I did not love the book- perhaps mostly because i felt sad for the poor planning that went into their trip, (and a little bit because I was not too fond of the writing style, which was a bit repetitive and sometimes whiney- which I am not at all fond of when I am reading Kilimanjaro memoirs).
Heather Fineisen
I have not climbed Kilimanjaro nor have I written a book so I commend M.G. Edwards on his courage to do both. His account of his trek up Kili is a bit uneven, as was his actual trek. Edwards has his ups and downs and one can take heed to be in good physical and mental condition to embark on such an adventure. A good list of resources are available if you are planning your own Kilimanjaro climb. Edward's references Hemingway' s Snows over Kilmanjaro throughout as he grapples with midlife and care ...more
Sandra
Mar 15, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The subject is of interest and I commend the author for his determination, but this is one of the most boring books I have ever read. The writing style is so filled with mundane detail and I just found it annoying. Not to mention the poor grammar (imminently qualified?). Not an inspiring book on a potentially inspiring subject.
Jonny Parshall
Jonny Parshall marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kristen Bennett
Kristen Bennett marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Iris Benjamin
Iris Benjamin marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Katherine Sobotka
Katherine Sobotka rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Loyiso Ndenze
Loyiso Ndenze marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Pudgy
Pudgy marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Nicoleta Tiron
Nicoleta Tiron marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rebecca Kiefer
Rebecca Kiefer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tihana
Tihana marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Nirmal Patel
Nirmal Patel rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kilimanjaro, Clim...: Kilimanjaro Book Giveaway! 1 3 Apr 25, 2012 01:43AM
  • Escaping from Reality Without Really Trying: 40 Years of High Seas Travels and Lowbrow Tales
  • South with the Sun: Roald Amundsen, His Polar Explorations, and the Quest for Discovery
  • Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa
  • In the Shadow of the Volcano: One Ex-Intelligence Official's Journey through Slums, Prisons, and Leper Colonies to the Heart of Latin America
  • Crossing the Heart of Africa: An Odyssey of Love and Adventure
  • High Infatuation: A Climber's Guide to Love and Gravity
  • No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey
  • Kilimanjaro and Beyond: A Life-Changing Journey
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • 33 Days: Touring In A Van.  Sleeping On Floors.  Chasing A Dream.
  • A Long Trek Home: 4,000 Miles by Boot, Raft and Ski
  • Before They're Gone: A Family's Year-Long Quest to Explore America's Most Endangered National Parks
  • Wildlife Wars: My Fight to Save Africa's Natural Treasures
  • The Voluntourist: A Six-Country Tale of Love, Loss, Fatherhood, Fate, and Singing Bon Jovi in Bethlehem
  • Sometimes there is a Void – Memoirs of an Outsider
  • The Bicycle Diaries: My 21,000-Mile Ride for the Climate
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law
  • The Shadow of Kilimanjaro: On Foot Across East Africa
M.G. Edwards is a writer of books and stories in the mystery, thriller and science fiction-fantasy genres. He also writes travel adventures and children's books.

He is author of "Kilimanjaro: One Man’s Quest to Go Over the Hill," a non-fiction account of his attempt to summit Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, and a short story collection called "Real Dreams: Thirty Years of Short Storie
More about M.G. Edwards...