Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)

Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  33,646 ratings  ·  4,873 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to an...more
Published March 26th 2013 by NAL Hardcover

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
4th out of 2,472 books — 12,490 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireReflected in You by Sylvia DayReckless by S.C. StephensEntwined with You by Sylvia DayLover at Last by J.R. Ward
I Marked My Calendar For This Book's Release
5th out of 1,242 books — 3,736 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
Kudos for doing an m/m story line in a mainstream series.

A big fucking F for execution.

Short version:
Qhuin and Blay got a corny story and played second third fourth fiddle in their own book.

Longer version: (mild spoilers)
Well, where do I begin? This book was a huge disappointment. Granted: I've been invested in Qhuinn and Blay for such a long time that only something close to perfection would have satisfied me fully. But come on! This? With all the build up, with that premise, with all the p...more
Qhuinn
Lora
I ♥ Qhuay. Review to come.
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Excellent… a game changer in the m-m genre and J.R. Ward delivered.

photo 7a626aa8-9690-4487-a237-ad54c6f29b9f.jpg

I love J.R. Ward and this series is mouth wateringly delicious, and like so many others I sit impatiently awaiting each next instalment, running scenarios and pairings through my head, trying to anticipate where she will take us next… and as an m-m reader, I was desperate for her to get this one right…

As usual we not only have the main story, Ms Ward also gives us side-plots, flipping back and forth between them all, leaving th...more
Lenore
** This review contains some spoilers **

Halle-fuckin'-lujah!!! I've died and gone to heaven!

--------------------

20 March 2013

I waited four years for this book. I discovered the series a little after Lover Avenged (book 7) came out. The Vutch ship had sailed and gloriously sunk, with the BDB world principles and rules uncompromised, with hearts returning to their place in many fans' chests ("What do you mean they're gay for each other! Ew!"), and Vutch shippers left to stew in their own juices.

Bu...more
Contentment
 photo joy5_zps8d9147a2.jpg
Also...
 photo rainbowvomit1_zps32139238.jpg

Yep, I liked it. The Qhuinn and Blay moments were touching, emotional, fulfilling, and oh yeah, scorching HOT. The first sex scene was so surreal, I thought I was reading fanfic for a second. I had to pause and collect myself. It's really happening!!!

Okay, so it wasn't perfect. There are certainly things wrong with this book (gay men CAN have sex in positions other than doggy style), but the reason I counted down the days to this release - all the things I've pi...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Picking up a new BDB book is like coming back home to old friends. You can’t help but smile at the familiar faces. Like everyone else, I’ve been dying for this book and knew that Ward would be facing her biggest challenge yet. Blay and Qhuinn are the Brotherhood’s most beloved members so she needed to give fans a book that would satisfy the crazy fantasies that readers have been conjuring up in their minds since LOVER ENSHRINED. I thought Ward reached a good balance and excelled with LO...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*

*full review posted*

*this will be spoilerish*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Qhuinn watched from a vast distance as his own hand reached out and touched Blay’s face, the fingertips running over the five o’clock shadow. “I’m sorry.”
Oh, God, to touch him. To feel the warmth of his skin, to inhale his clean, masculine scent.
“I’m sorry.”

I am a very big fan of the series, and I'm incredibly happy these two guys got their happy end, they really deserved it after all these years <3
That said, this could have been better. No doub...more
Morgana
*swoon* *panting* *drooling* *faints* My heart is still pounding!
 photo tumblr_leklaoTnrz1qg113ho1_500-1.jpg
I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!! Zsadist is and will always be my #1...Vishous, Rehvenge and now Xcor have a special place in my heart but Qhuinn/Blay are my favorite couple...The wait was soooooooooo worth it...I want more!
 photo tumblr_m8mijvSY301rd4k03o1_500_large.gif

photo tumblr_lu6f2b1EF21qja1bno1_r1_500.gif

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!
 photo tumblr_inline_mk0rmqUDWa1qep71v.jpg

photo tumblr_lz5m6qCfC01qdtj7ho1_500.gif
 photo tumblr_lcj8grRgbW1qe7q3ko1_400.gif

***********************************************************************
Not a novella but a full length novel...YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! FINALLY!!!!!!!!OMGoddess I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT! Hurry up 2013...the wait...more
Rebekah Weatherspoon
i've never rubbed my face this many times while reading a book. ever. like ever. and ive read some stuff that's made me want to end it all lately. also this was one of the first reviews where i actually considered using gifs, but i'll spare you.

short: this should have been called "There's very little meat in these gym mats." or "There's very little Blay in this paranormal romance which by all rights should be 50% Blay."

long: okay here goes. i did not like this book, at all. i'll tell you the bi...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)

3 stars? 4 stars? I might be flip-flopping on this rating at least once or twice over the next few days. I actually had an easier time rewarding 4 stars to the previous books because my expectations weren't that high to begin with, and I felt like I'd been given more than what I was expecting. In the case of Lover at Last, I think the bar might have been set too high with all of the anticipation to see this relationship finally happen. I'm tempted to stay at 3 stars just for the mention of Ed Ha...more
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
4+ FINALLY Stars

The story, we have all been waiting for. The book that we were raving about for a whole year and my personal initiation in the M/M genre. (details below)

Ladies and Gentlemen... (or Gentlemale if you part of the glymera)

description

Love. The difference between someone “loving” somebody versus being “in love” was a curb to the Grand Canyon. The head of a pin to the entire Midwest. An exhale to a hurricane.

Qhuinn is really the son of no one.

description

Rejected by his own family, without bloodline and rel...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Spoilers are hidden.

This story has been years in the making, and I can't tell you how thrilled I am to finally get it! The build up to Qhuay has been intense, worrisome, exciting, frustrating... but without a doubt one of my most anticipated reads in a very long time, and one of the most aptly titled books, ever.

As with most of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books, there are many subplots and lots of secondary characters getting side-stories, so I'll just break it down and share my thoughts.

What...more
Susan

I asked Goodreads readers, fans of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and most especially fans of Qhuay (Qhuinn & Blay) for their thoughts on the book. They were allowed 5 words each. Here's what they had to say:

photo LaLReview1_zpsfbe54547.jpg

********************************************************

*spoiler-free review*

“Because I was, and I remain, utterly and completely and totally…in love with you.”

I am a fan’ish of the BDB series. I’ve liked the books in varying degrees throughout. I’ve also hated and been massively...more
Lady Allison
"Even if he got shanked, even if his precious little ego and his dumb-ass little heart got shattered into a million pieces, it was time to stop the bullshit.

It was time to be a male.

As Blay started to straighten, like a message had been received, Qhuinn thought, That's right, buddy.

Our future has come." -Lover Reborn

♥♥♥♥♥

BRING ON THE QHUAY LOVIN', WARDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SO ready.

♥♥♥♥♥

OMG, IT'S PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those eyes! That title! Why isn't this in my hands right now?!

FROM THE...more
Christy
RE-READ IN PREPARATION FOR THE KING!!!

5 AT LAST stars!!!

photo 2c521cb1-e5fa-422b-bea7-9c1157b90f80_zps9d2d59a1.jpg

It’s no secret that I am a little obsessed with the BDB. Ever since I’ve started reading this series, I’ve been hooked. Although Vishous is my favorite brother, Qhuinn has always been a close second. There is just something about him I love. That being said, I have been SO EXCITED to read Lover At Last. This is the book that got me to start BDB in the first place. It was blowing up my newsfeed and I thought- PNR- m/m? YES! I have to read t...more
Sammy, the Cyborg Slut  & Lover of Books
description

I waited over four years and was tortured through four books of angst, just to get a Novella disguised as a Novel. That's right!! And I'm Pissed about it! I am gonna be in the minority with this review. Everyone is swooning over Qhuinn and Blay getting their HEA, but I feel that the Warden robbed, swindled, hoodwinked, and cheated us and Quay out of that HEA. There were so many unrelated stories going on, that I found myself hoping for quality time with "Quay". But what I got was a whole lotta t...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
*Disclaimer*--I have endeavored to make this spoiler-free, but beware anyway.

It’s been a long time coming, but readers of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series finally get to see the culmination of the romantic entanglement between Qhuinn and Blay. While I wouldn’t have called myself Team Qhuay, I had hopes that their love story would be satisfying, and I can gladly say that it was! I am very much in love with this series, and each year, I look forward to reuniting with the Brothers and their love...more
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
~ ~ ~

***Winner Goodreads Best Romance 2013 - 24,333 votes

Freaking Fantastic Win for Male/Male Romance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Male/Male Romance in the Mainstream...at Last

Well, I'm a happy, puddly, messy romantic sap. That's all there is to it. This book was everything that I asked for and even a little more.

--Was there a lot of fan pandering? (view spoiler). I don't even mind a little bit.
--Were there a few easy paths taken? (view spoiler) I just breezed r...more
Leigh
♥♥♥ QHUINN & BLAY!!! ♥♥♥

Our beloved boys are FINALLY getting their story, and they are getting it the true and proper way...in a full-blown BDB world-building hardback NOVEL!!! Thank you Ward and Penguin for doing right by them and all of us Qhuay loving readers!!!

Roll on March 2013!!!!!!

♥♥♥ LOVER AT LAST!!! ♥♥♥

LOVE the title, and LOVE the cover!!! It's getting closer and closer! Can't frickin' wait!!
Lisa Jayne
FIVE AT LAST STARS.

description

April 28th 2013 was the date I started my brotherhood journey and here I am three months down the line and finally up to date with the black dagger brotherhood series and what a journey it has been. I've said this before but it has to be said again I never thought I would be so caught up in a series about vampire warriors and their love, pain, war and lives. Lover...more
Shawna
May 03, 2013 Shawna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorite-romance-series, jr-ward-jessica-bird, pnr-vampires, series-black-dagger-brotherhood, man-man-lovin-mm, friends-to-lovers, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, unrequited-love-crush, tattoos-piercings-body-art, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, cheating-hearts-fidelity-issues, 2013-reads, 4-to-5-stars, all-work-no-play-on-the-job-romance, backdoor-action-lovin-playin, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, badasses-hunks-in-leather, best-endings-epilogues, best-faves-of-2013, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, best-snarkasm-humor, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-bedroom-bad-boy, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-black-sheep, hero-brooding, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-player-manwhore-sex-addict, hero-reformed-rake-player, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-tattalizing, hero-walking-hardon, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-warrior, i-read-library, love-triangle-vying-courtships, made-me-cry, paranormal-romance, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, star-crossed-lovers, steam-3-hot, steam-some-like-it-hard-rough-dirty, urban-fantasy, hh-jeez-just-frigging-talk-already, hero-piercings-in-yummy-places
4 ½ stars – Vampire/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy M/M romance

Thoughts Before Reading

Qhuay, YAY!!!! Qhuay happy dance!! *swoons* Qhuay happy dance!! *faints*

Somebody better have some smelling salts and the crash cart defibrillator paddles ready!!!!
DayDreamer
~~
No one got forever. And it was a fucking crime to waste what you were given.
Lover Reborn

The book isn't perfect (flawless books don't exist) or even close to it, but my expectations were satisfied. Rated on its merit, it would be 4 stars. BUT as it makes a major breaktrough in mainstream fiction, and that is a BIG DEAL, my rating will be 5 stars.
Also:
*I've been waiting for this since LM.
*It got me into m/m, for which it deserves another star.

That doesn't say I'm happy with all of it. The (too)...more
Lauraadriana
More like 3.5...SIGHS Where do I even start? I'm happy that Qhuinn and Blay FINALLY against all FUCKING odds got their HEA. They finally are together...BUT...WHY IN THE HELL did I have to read 400 pages of boring, bullshit tangents...WHY? WHY? Why is JR Ward, suffocationg her main storylines with so much side bullshit on other couples that we will be happy to read about when their own time comes?!?! I don't need to know about Assail (the fucking cokehead douchebag) and fucking Sonia (whatever he...more
Midgetbee
One of the things about JR Ward is you can pretty much tell when she likes a character because they're everywhere you look. This can be great when it's a character you like because they'll pop up in books outside of their own, even in scenes that would be better served by someone else because it's obvious Ward just wants to write them. It's also pretty awful when it's one you don't.

*waves at Doc Jane*.

However, on the flip side when Ward doesn't feel a character too much they tend to get lost in...more
Camilla
(Continued from earlier book)

01.04.12

Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay! Qhuay!

Can you say: About. Fucking. Time.

Team Qhuay, all the way, baby!! <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------

March 2013:

I’m writing this minutes after finishing – which is the way I like to do reviews, because then all my original thoughts and emotions go into the review, and also why I don’t know how this ’...more
Kelly
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I was disappointed by this book. There were too many sub-plots and characters and not enough of Quinn and Blay. I skimmed through a lot of it.

I do applaud Ms. Ward for writing a m/m romance. I wasn't sure if she would ever go there in fear of losing her core audience. I've read my fair share of m/m sex scenes, and it was obvious that this was her first attempt at writing them. They seemed akward and were lacking the passion that can be found in her m/f scenes.

C.C.
This review may contain, spoilers, swearing, venting and hissy fits

I have two words to describe this book: LOVE/HATE

I can't even believe I rated Qhuinn and Blay's book 3 stars. 3 fucking stars which are definitely just for the two of them.

I had so much. SO MUCH expectations for this, I waited patiently, I brooded even for this moment. After Lover Enshrined? No, okay maybe even before that, even before Qhuay officially became an item I have been there. Waiting and praying for their own fucki...more
Wendy
How adorable are Qhuinn and Blay? Damn adorable! Seeing them both at their most vulnerable and laying it out there on the line is so good. I wanted more!

There was so many other things going in this installment with the secondary characters it felt like Qhuay's story got lost a little bit. I wanted more Qhuay time and a teensy more depth to their relationship wouldn't have gone astray either.

Although I really can't complain too much, reading this was like coming home to family that you haven't...more
Ta§chima Cullen
Happy Release Date!!! Here is a 7 page Excerpt for those who are still waiting for their copies :D

Click on the link for 6 WHOLE teasers from the novel!! Hurry up guys!! READ IT! :D

Click on the link for 8 MORE WHOLE teasers from the novel!! You're welcome ;)

If you read this review, well, just know that there will be maybe some mild spoilers, but nothing too drastic. You have been warned, so no comments on how I should have warned you.

description

I think now I've had enough distance from the book (and the ov...more
  • Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11)
  • Reaver  (Lords of Deliverance, #5; Demonica, #10)
  • Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2)
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #12)
  • Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12)
  • Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling, #0.5, 3.5, 9.5, 10.5)
  • Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)
  • Thomas's Choice (Scanguards Vampires, #8)
  • Hunted (Dark Protectors, #3)
  • Fade (In the company of shadows, #4)
20248
Aka Jessica Bird

Jessica Rowley Pell Bird was born on 1969 in Massachusetts, USA. She is the daughter of Maxine F. and W. Gillette Bird, Jr. She began writing as a child, penning her thoughts in diaries as well as inventing short stories. She read her first Harlequin Presents novel in a rose garden when she was in her teens. She was hooked immediately. By the time she went to college, she had boxes...more
More about J.R. Ward...
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)

“You've always had me ... and my heart. My soul. Everything. I wish it hadn't taken this long for me to man up.” 191 likes
“Shit. With Qhuinn looking at him like that, he couldn’t remember his own name. Blaysox? Blacklock? Blabberfox? Who the fuck knew…” 125 likes