Start by marking “Async JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Async JavaScript

Async JavaScript

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  19 reviews
JavaScript is a single-threaded language living in a multimedia, multi-tasking, multi-core world. Even experienced JavaScripters sometimes find themselves overwhelmed as complex apps grow into a tangled web of callbacks.

With Async JavaScript, you'll learn about:

Event scheduling
The PubSub pattern
Promises and Deferred objects
Flow control with Async.js
Recipes for common async
ebook, draft
Published March 21st 2012 by Leanpub (first published March 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Async JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Async JavaScript

Jul 28, 2012 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: (serious) JavaScript programmers
Recommended to Brian by: Dan
(4.0) Very narrowly focused, but good for it, and very informative

Burnham just bites off one piece of JavaScript programming that commonly leads us to write horrible, horrible code...yet is also one of the greatest assets of the language: asynchronicity without concurrency. So a very well chosen topic, and he develops it well. I learned a lot from this, usually something new on each page. He could develop a few of his examples more (or rather, explain them more thoroughly): there was a fair amou
Brian Park
Jun 04, 2012 Brian Park rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: javascript programmers
It was a relatively short book and it reads easy. The author starts by explaining how asynchronous javascript works. Throughout the book, he writes about various techniques (e.g. how to use promises/deferreds, flow control with async.js, web workers, etc.) on async programming in javascript. My previous perception on async programming that it makes code ugly (i.e. too many nesting) is gone now. It will take time to get used to this style of programming, but it opened my eyes on another possibili ...more
Eric Lin
Excellent resource for cutting-edge JavaScript. Lots of up-to-date information on important patterns and libraries we could (and should!) be using. Focuses on various asynchronous patterns, including events, promises, and web workers. Absolutely recommended as the next "must-read" JavaScript book for those doing advanced work.
I agree with Brian Park's review. Yes, it will take time to get used to this style of programming. The reward is that the techniques introduced in this book will allow for simpler (and yet much more powerful), scalable use of the JavaScript language. Thanks much to Trevor Burnham for this timely work.
(4.5) The pragprog edition is much improved!

Really like the introductory sections that really dive into JS event queuing, and improved all around. Strongly recommend this for anyone doing real JS development beyond 3-liner jQuery click-handling.

Worth re-reading even if you read the original edition!
Alexander Sádovský
I think there is only one book for async javascript and it's this one, and I found it very useful even if it's 3 years old.
Just read the updated edition, even better than the first! Chapters 1 and 6 seem like mostly new material, and Chapter 1 does a great job of setting up how events work in JavaScript in general, and filled in some holes in my knowledge.

Still one of my favorite and most up-to-date JS books, and I recommend everyone read it, and if you read the old edition, read the new chapters!

(I did read the new paperback edition, sorry I am lazy and did not create a new edition for it, though it shares this cov
Alessandro Pellizzari
Potrebbe essere il riferimento definitivo alla programmazione asincrona in Javascript. Purtroppo l'argomento è abbastanza complesso, e, pur elencando i vari sistemi utilizzabili sia lato server (Node) che lato client (Worker), non li approfondisce abbastanza da renderli utilizzabili.

La mancanza cronica di esempi pratici non aiuta la comprensione. Gli esempi di codice presenti si limitano a "ecco, se fate così, la sequenza di esecuzione è questa".
Philip Woods
It is a short but relatively informative introduction to asynchronous JavaScript. It covers JavaScript's single-threaded event model, what a "PubSub" is and how to roll your own, good patterns for writing asynchronous error handlers, handling flow control with Async.js, using Web Workers, and asynchronous script-loading with Require.js. It is less than 100 pages, packed with content and covers its promised topic well.
Michael Koltsov
A good practical book for anyone taming the asynchronous nature of Javascript. It could be read in a few days, but the concepts it teaches you are invaluable.

May be it's a bit outdated and it makes a lot of accents on Backbone and Node.

I've enjoyed reading it, the book is written nicely and it's simple to read.
Provides a relatively short, yet comprehensive overview of the current state of the async operations in JavaScript. It can be useful to ActionScript developers too, as the ECMAScript family shares very similar issues.

I wish there were a few more examples in this book.
Omar Delarosa
For someone coming to (modern?) browser JavaScript and Node.js from server-side languages like Ruby and Python, this is an amazing introduction to the async libraries out there and the application design patterns associated with them.
Rick Strahl
Excellent discussion of JavaScript's async mechanisms. The chapter on Promises alone is worth the read! More detailed review:
Good info on events and how to try to avoid too much callback mess in JavaScript. I like that it is quite detailed on events.
Kevin McDermott
Small and light, enjoyable to read.

Maybe a little too light, this could've been two chapters in a bigger book...
Илья Осипов
This book is a must-read
Iurii Okhmat
Shallow, but interesting
Volodymyr Melnychuk
Volodymyr Melnychuk marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Terry is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
Vlatko Dimov
Vlatko Dimov is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Ssergey marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Uladzimir Havenchyk
Uladzimir Havenchyk marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Phil Munie
Phil Munie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Omar M.lotfy
Omar M.lotfy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Nikov marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • Node: Up and Running: Scalable Server-Side Code with JavaScript
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development
  • JavaScript Allongé: A strong cup of functions, objects, combinators, and decorators
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Objects on Rails
  • Clojure Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
CoffeeScript Dtroit: The Art, Music And Culture Of The Motor City, 20 May   18 July 2004

“In the browser, try to use a shim[18] that defers to requestAnimationFrame in browsers that support it and falls back on setTimeout in those that don’t.” 0 likes