Start by marking “The Hidden Treasure of Glaston” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Hidden Treasure of...

Eleanore M. Jewett

The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Amidst great mystery, Hugh is left in the care of Glastonbury Abbey by his father who must flee to England too swiftly to be burdened by a crippled son.

Dicckon struck flint and lit a candle, then led the way into the dark passage. "What is this place?" asked Hugh. A sudden turn and they were in a low stone-lined room, along two sides of which were heavy black oak chests. D
Hardcover, Library Edition, 307 pages
Published 1964 by Viking Press (first published August 30th 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Treasure of Glaston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

ErikaWaz Wasielewski
This book was wonderful! It's junior fiction, but it really didn't read like it to me. I bought this to read with the kids, because we were looking for an appropriate knight adventure. When I got the book, I saw it wasn't directly knights, and saw that a lot of the speech in the book was in Old English. So I decided to pre-read it first. And got promptly caught up in the adventure of young Hugh and his time with the monks in Glaston, and his own personal quest for the Holy Grail. I am definitely ...more
Phair
I've kept this book for well over 40 years having purchased it in one of those school book clubs and recall it fondly but have not re-read it in recent memory. I do know that it had a lot of adventure & that it piqued my life-long interest in the King Arthur legends and in the "discovery" of his grave at Glastonbury in the 12thc. Was prompted to dig the book out after reading Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin which features a mystery surrounding this same discovery. Will have to re-read to see ...more
Scott Williams
c3ea0f3b-65ec-4a96-81aa-31f71aca4a2d
Rachel
Set in Glastonbury, England in 1171. A story of life in a monastery complex in the middle ages--we follow Hugh, the book-loving boy left at the monastery by his father, and Dickon, an oblate, as they sort out mysteries in the natural and spiritual worlds. I'm guessing it's fully period, but there's a lot of Catholic superstition--visions, miracles and such are very important to the people, and do seem to happen. Interesting picture of an interesting time period.
Moira
Apr 25, 2010 Moira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and young teens who like historical/adventure
A wonderful little book. While it is most definitely a YA book, I still thumb through it now and then to remember some of the details of the story. When I first read it I loved the imagery and the excitement of the tale. Now, when I look back on it, I appreciate it for being a well-written and engaging book for young kids, especially those interested in history. (Uncommon these days, but I do happen to know quite a few.)
Henry
The Hidden Treasure of Glaston was a superb book with equal parts Arthurian and holy grail legend. Disgraced by the murder of Thomas á Becket, Hugh’s father sets off for the holy land leaving him in the care of the monks. Hugh and his newfound friend Dickon decide to search for the Holy Grail. I enjoyed this book although it was not one I would normally choose myself.
Conchita Almora
So glad this book is back in print. It is a marvelous medieval adventure that can be enjoyed by children and teens as well as adults. It combines Arthurian legend with the drama surrounding the murder of Thomas Becket and is replete with mystery and history.
Debbie
A most excellent book. Geared for kids, probably young readers up to young adults, but thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable for adults as well. A fictional story that interweaves the various legends of Glastonbury Abbey, located in southwest England.
Carolyn
This adventurous book set in 1184 is filled with good characters, great imagery and mysterious plot development. Some of the medieval church vocabulary had me reaching for my dictionary. Would make a nice read aloud for older boys.
Margaret Metz
Another great historical novel put out by Bethlehem Books. My boys always loved it when I would pick up a new one for them to read. This is one of their favorites.
Elevetha
2 1\2 stars. I read it for school and was pretty dang bored. Characters were bland. It never held my interest. Historical fiction.
Ally McKinnis
Very adventursome! Makes me want to do it too, even though there is no archeology around!
Diana
I remember reading this in 8th grade as part of our studies and I just loved it!
Katherine
SO AWESOME!!! I NEVER IMAGINED IT WOULD END LIKE THIS!!!!
Daggerose
Awesome book.

A must read
Anna
I thought it was fantastic!
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Amna
Amna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
  • Tree of Freedom
  • The Silver Pencil
  • Sugaring Time
  • The Noonday Friends
Eleanore M. Jewett grew up in New York City and loved it, but spent every summer in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, where she was a member of a "summer gang" much like that in Cobbler's Knob. An old sea captain used to take them all out sailing, and she liked best to sit in front of the mast, reveling in the motion of the boat and the long sweep of the blue sea.

After she grew up she taught for four years
More about Eleanore M. Jewett...
Big John's Secret (Living History Library) Cobbler's Knob Mystery of the Mooncusser Mystery at Boulder Point Which Was Witch?