The Watchmaker's Lady

The Watchmaker's Lady (The Clockpunk Trilogy #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Matthew Goddard is a lonely watchmaker in 1840, New England. One fateful day, he discovers the lover of his dreams in a dusty corner of the local general store—Isabel, a bisque porcelain mannequin head with mesmerizing, smoky blue eyes. When Matthew invites her to come live with him, she eagerly “accepts.”

The couple embarks on a lust-filled affair, one fueled by Matthew’s...more
ebook
Published April 1st 2012 by Red Sage Publishing (first published March 31st 2012)

Marlene
Originally published at http://www.readingreality.net/2012/04...

First there was steampunk, and now there's clockpunk. And is it ever cool.

In the hands of an author like Heather Massey, it is also very, very hot. Hot enough to melt anyone's circuits.

In Massey's latest novella, The Watchmaker's Lady, the "lady" in question is a combination of clockwork bits, metal parts, and a lifelike porcelain head. Or is she?

As the story begins, Matthew Goddard is one lonely watchmaker in the midst of New Engla...more
Heidi Miller
I couldn't put this book down!

The world of 1840s New England is resplendent with details and cultural nuances--the perfect backdrop for a tale of forbidden love and female empowerment. In a sexually oppressed society, citizens are often forced to explore their natural urges in unconventional ways. That's what Matthew, the watchmaker does. And, while living out his fantasies of passion with Isabel, the most unconventional of lovers, he awakens life and love within them both.

Without giving away a...more
Diane Dooley
Clockpunk erotic romance. The Watchmaker's Lady is an unusual and intriguing novella. The story was sweet, sad and sexy. Highly recommended for those looking for something a little different in their erotic reading.
Alisha
(Dual Review originally posted at Book Lovers Inc:)

Our Thoughts:

Stella: I’ll start with a confession: I’m a steampunk virgin. Well, almost. So far I have only read one steampunk novella and it was tiny, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but I sure was excited to discover the exciting world and unusual story created by Heather Massey in The Watchmaker’s Lady.

Alisha: Perfect that we’re doing a dual, Stella. I’m a huuuuge fan of all things steampunk. If it has gears and gadgets and period clo...more
Pippa Jay
THE GOOD:
While on the surface this may seem another erotica story, underneath it lies a sweet and timeless romance where two soul mates manage to meet, and even death holds no barrier. The beautiful detailing in the writing perfectly reflects the time that it's set in. At first I though Matthew a sweet but deluded man, driven into a realm of illusion by his loneliness. But as the story unfolds you begin to wonder if it really is all in his head or whether there is life in his clockwork lady. The...more
Barbara
Seriously hot novella, but this guy was deranged. Totally and completely out of his mind. He has sex with a doll, cooks for her and then gets her nice things. He even puts her life over his!!!

Having said that, if I was a mannequin, I would want him as a lover lol He was aware of the one-sidedness of the relationship and was still caring and sweet. (Crazy sweet, but crazy.)

I was a little confused at the end (did not know this was going to be a time piece), but thankfully, it was all explained. Th...more
AnnaM
What a unique story. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's very erotic. Very explicit. Matthew the Watchmaker is smart and creative, and crazy.

It took me a little while to get into this story because it was so different. I loved the ending. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil the story. The SF was good enough to make me really like the ending. Can't say I ever totally liked Matthew, but I did like Isabel. And I didn't see the end coming. It surprised me.

Do I recommend? Yes, for those who wa...more
Rhod
Kindle freebee: This book just stretches the imagination too far. I can't imagine who the author was trying to reach with this tale. I am no prude, but really? Falling in love with a doll made mostly from clock parts? Can't imagine who really liked this book, but some at least said they did in the ratings - likely shills.
SaturNalia
Very strange. I wasn't sure what to feel when Matthew was indulging in his delusion of love with a metal doll. I was both disgusted and intrigued and sad. The ending was strange too, I think it would have been better if the last chapter never happened.
Marjorie Ellsworth
This is a clockpunk erotic story. I found the main character quite disturbing but I kept reading, wondering what mischief he would get into and how he would fare in the end. I definitely got a surprise.
Stella
A delicious and highly unique steampunk retelling of My Fair Lady I enjoyed a lot. Detailed review to be posted soon.
Katie(babs)
Overall I like the tone of the story but found the ending very strange for my usually tastes.
Karen Darling
He was having a sexual relationship with a mannequin. I just didn't understand.
Erotic clockpunk/steampunk novella.
MK
MK marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Fifi
Fifi added it
Sep 01, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
ben
ben marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Ab2y
Ab2y marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Ilene Appelbaum
Ilene Appelbaum marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Steelwhisper
Steelwhisper marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Meryki
Meryki marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Heather Massey is a lifelong fan of science fiction romance. She searches for science fiction romance adventures aboard her blog, The Galaxy Express.

She also blogs about steampunk romance in her monthly column "Heather Massey's Steampunk Romance Cafe" at the Coffee Time Romance steampunk page.

When she’s not reading, she’s watching cult films and enjoying time with her husband and daughter.

(source:...more
More about Heather Massey...
Once Upon A Time In Space The Blacksmith's Lover Queenie's Brigade Lord of Snow and Ice Iron Guns, Blazing Hearts

“Sometimes he felt as if he'd been born in the wrong century. The people of this time were all wrong for him, and he was all wrong for them. But he refused to become something he wasn't just for society's approval.” 6 likes