Start by marking “The Watchmaker's Lady” as Want to Read:
The Watchmaker's Lady

The Watchmaker's Lady (The Clockpunk Trilogy #1)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Matthew Goddard is a lonely watchmaker in 1840, New England. One fateful day, he discovers the lover of his dreams in a dusty corner of the local general store—Isabel, a bisque porcelain mannequin head with mesmerizing, smoky blue eyes. When Matthew invites her to come live with him, she eagerly “accepts.”

The couple embarks on a lust-filled affair, one fueled by Matthew’s
ebook
Published April 1st 2012 by Red Sage Publishing (first published March 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Watchmaker's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watchmaker's Lady

Redeeming Zorus by Laurann DohnerTouching Ice by Laurann DohnerTaunting Krell by Laurann DohnerStealing Coal by Laurann DohnerBurning Up Flint by Laurann Dohner
Robots, Androids, Gynoids, Cyborgs, My Loves
59th out of 153 books — 242 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
158th out of 286 books — 828 voters

More lists with this book...

Marlene
Apr 05, 2012 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Originally published at http://www.readingreality.net/2012/04...

First there was steampunk, and now there's clockpunk. And is it ever cool.

In the hands of an author like Heather Massey, it is also very, very hot. Hot enough to melt anyone's circuits.

In Massey's latest novella, The Watchmaker's Lady, the "lady" in question is a combination of clockwork bits, metal parts, and a lifelike porcelain head. Or is she?

As the story begins, Matthew Goddard is one lonely watchmaker in the midst of New Engla
Heidi Miller
I couldn't put this book down!

The world of 1840s New England is resplendent with details and cultural nuances--the perfect backdrop for a tale of forbidden love and female empowerment. In a sexually oppressed society, citizens are often forced to explore their natural urges in unconventional ways. That's what Matthew, the watchmaker does. And, while living out his fantasies of passion with Isabel, the most unconventional of lovers, he awakens life and love within them both.

Without giving away a
Diane Dooley
Apr 26, 2012 Diane Dooley rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Clockpunk erotic romance. The Watchmaker's Lady is an unusual and intriguing novella. The story was sweet, sad and sexy. Highly recommended for those looking for something a little different in their erotic reading.
Alisha
May 29, 2012 Alisha rated it liked it
Shelves: bli-rev
(Dual Review originally posted at Book Lovers Inc:)

Our Thoughts:

Stella: I’ll start with a confession: I’m a steampunk virgin. Well, almost. So far I have only read one steampunk novella and it was tiny, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but I sure was excited to discover the exciting world and unusual story created by Heather Massey in The Watchmaker’s Lady.

Alisha: Perfect that we’re doing a dual, Stella. I’m a huuuuge fan of all things steampunk. If it has gears and gadgets and period clo
Pippa Jay
THE GOOD:
While on the surface this may seem another erotica story, underneath it lies a sweet and timeless romance where two soul mates manage to meet, and even death holds no barrier. The beautiful detailing in the writing perfectly reflects the time that it's set in. At first I though Matthew a sweet but deluded man, driven into a realm of illusion by his loneliness. But as the story unfolds you begin to wonder if it really is all in his head or whether there is life in his clockwork lady. The
Barbara
Apr 27, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Seriously hot novella, but this guy was deranged. Totally and completely out of his mind. He has sex with a doll, cooks for her and then gets her nice things. He even puts her life over his!!!

Having said that, if I was a mannequin, I would want him as a lover lol He was aware of the one-sidedness of the relationship and was still caring and sweet. (Crazy sweet, but crazy.)

I was a little confused at the end (did not know this was going to be a time piece), but thankfully, it was all explained. Th
AnnaM
Feb 24, 2013 AnnaM rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-sfrs, sfr
What a unique story. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's very erotic. Very explicit. Matthew the Watchmaker is smart and creative, and crazy.

It took me a little while to get into this story because it was so different. I loved the ending. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil the story. The SF was good enough to make me really like the ending. Can't say I ever totally liked Matthew, but I did like Isabel. And I didn't see the end coming. It surprised me.

Do I recommend? Yes, for those who wa
Rhod
Jul 27, 2012 Rhod rated it did not like it
Kindle freebee: This book just stretches the imagination too far. I can't imagine who the author was trying to reach with this tale. I am no prude, but really? Falling in love with a doll made mostly from clock parts? Can't imagine who really liked this book, but some at least said they did in the ratings - likely shills.
SaturNalia
Very strange. I wasn't sure what to feel when Matthew was indulging in his delusion of love with a metal doll. I was both disgusted and intrigued and sad. The ending was strange too, I think it would have been better if the last chapter never happened.
Stella
Jun 24, 2012 Stella rated it really liked it
A delicious and highly unique steampunk retelling of My Fair Lady I enjoyed a lot. Detailed review to be posted soon.
Katie(babs)
Apr 10, 2012 Katie(babs) rated it liked it
Overall I like the tone of the story but found the ending very strange for my usually tastes.
Karen Darling
Jun 18, 2013 Karen Darling rated it did not like it
He was having a sexual relationship with a mannequin. I just didn't understand.
Apr 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Erotic clockpunk/steampunk novella.
Jen
Rating: 3.5/5

Review to follow
Lisa Lyon
Lisa Lyon rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Andrew  Bryant
Andrew Bryant rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Sheree
Sheree marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 13, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 10, 2015
Meri
Meri marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Janell
Janell added it
Nov 30, 2014
S.E. Gilchrist
S.E. Gilchrist marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
namericanwordcat
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Sarinity
Sarinity marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
MIPat
MIPat marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
MK
MK marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Fifi
Fifi added it
Sep 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Heather Massey is a lifelong fan of science fiction romance. She searches for science fiction romance adventures aboard her blog, The Galaxy Express.

She also blogs about steampunk romance in her monthly column "Heather Massey's Steampunk Romance Cafe" at the Coffee Time Romance steampunk page.

When she’s not reading, she’s watching cult films and enjoying time with her husband and daughter.

(source:
More about Heather Massey...

The Clockpunk Trilogy (2 books)
  • The Blacksmith's Lover

“Sometimes he felt as if he'd been born in the wrong century. The people of this time were all wrong for him, and he was all wrong for them. But he refused to become something he wasn't just for society's approval.” 7 likes