Start by marking “Falling Uphill” as Want to Read:
Falling Uphill

Falling Uphill

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  21 reviews
“Falling Uphill” by Wendy Nelson Tokunaga

“Ruth Fenton is dead, but what does that have to do with me?” That’s what Candace Grey, 29, wants to know after receiving a puzzling phone message from San Francisco. A bright, but slightly absent-minded anthropology teacher at a small Michigan college, Candace is all set to leave for Los Angeles to conduct research on 1960s TV star
Published 2011 by Culture Wave Press

To ask other readers questions about Falling Uphill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Uphill

Joan Reeves
Gem of a Book

I truly loved this story from the first page which sucks you in with a great hook and doesn't release you until the end, at which time you want to go back to the beginning and read the book again.

Blurbing The Book

In this multi-layered novel, Candace Grey, an anthropology professor at a small Michigan college, is almost 30 and mired in a fizzling relationship with a man who won't commit any more than he'll become the kind of man she needs.

With plans made for a summer of research in L
Bobbi Steadman
Wasn't an awful read, but was far from impressive. I felt that Candace Grey's personality might be of a girl fresh out of high school and unsure of herself. Being a pretty well accomplished woman, she should have had a great deal more confidence than she did and her constant doubts about herself and her relationship began to seriously grate my nerves. I feel that she was much too dependent on her relationship, but when it ended (although she was expecting it wouldn't last much longer) she was up ...more
Kbee
Apr 23, 2012 Kbee marked it as to-read
A bright, but slightly absent-minded anthropology teacher at a small Michigan college, Candace is all set to leave for Los Angeles to conduct research on 1960s TV star Pamela Parrish—America’s Sitcom Sweetheart—for her Master’s thesis on television and female gender roles. But after discovering that Ruth Fenton is a long lost relative, she’s first off to San Francisco for her memorial service where she meets a crazy(?) old lady who claims Pamela Parrish didn’t commit suicide like everybody says— ...more
Christine
A darling novel about a gender studies/tv researcher who falls in love with San Francisco and a new man. Anyone who misses walking the city should read this book!

The one negative I have is that the author was unrealistic in her choice of career prospects for her heroine. Tokununga places her as a teacher at a liberal arts college in the anthropology department, without a post-bachelor's degree. It is possible for a college to hire someone based on significant life experience, usually in teaching
Kim
Cute fluff.
Kathleen Crowell
I really wanted to like this but the characters and storyline fell flat. I did love the imagery of San Francisco though. you can really tell WT loves her home!
Kathy
4.5 Stars. Falling Uphill by Wendy Nelson Tokunaga is a vastly entertaining and light-hearted novel that is a delightful mix of romance and mystery. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://www.bookreviewsandmorebykathy....
Rhiannon
The beginning is really really boring, so I gave up.

It's interesting. I'm fine with giving up on kindle books, but not physical books. Maybe I should read some more kindle books.
Gillian
This was a cute, but pretty predictable book. It was light and fun. Thought I am pretty sure the author is not American and trying to pass her characters off as... funny.
Shirley
Very cute, a little slow in the beginning but captivating by the end. It could be compared to an Agatha Christie mystery novel with a touch of your typical chic-lit romance.
Vianna  Tedder
Predicatable and always calling the dog food by it's full name was a little weird, was it supposed to mean something? Or was it supposed to be witty?
Glenn Harris
Quite a nice little mystery/romance as an anthropology professor tries to find the truth about the thirty-year-old death of a Hollywood actress.
Diane Wheatley
A very sweet story. I read it on the plane. Good light book. Free on Kindle. Recommend it for a summer read in between heavier literature.
Charlene
Nice piece of fluff but not much of a story. Kept expecting some real intrigue or danger but the plot disappointed me.
Caroline Gabel
its more a romance than a mystery, i prefer the other way around
Betty
Descriptions of the city were wonderful.
Trixie Vardon
This was a lovely light read. Very enjoyable.
Janice
a light fluffy predictable read
Susan
Decent, "fill your time" kind of book.
Trina
May 01, 2012 Trina added it
simple and enjoyable
Ad
Ad marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Susan
Susan added it
Apr 19, 2015
Cristy Traylor
Cristy Traylor marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
  • CrossFire
  • Drew in Blue
  • Life and Death at Hoover Dam
  • When Pigs Fly
  • Toward A New Beginning (Arkansas Valley, #1)
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • Vestal Virgin
  • All God's Creatures
  • Blue Straggler
  • Mad Money
  • Elizabeth's Secrets
Wendy Nelson Tokunaga is the author of the novels, "Midori by Moonlight" and "Love in Translation" (both published by St. Martin's Press), and the original e-book novels, "Falling Uphill" and "His Wife and Daughters." She's also the author of the original nonfiction e-book, "Marriage in Translation: Foreign Wife, Japanese Husband." Her short story "Love Right on the Yesterday" appears in the antho ...more
More about Wendy Tokunaga...
Midori by Moonlight Love in Translation Marriage in Translation: Foreign Wife, Japanese Husband No Kidding Wonders of the World - Niagara Falls (Wonders of the World)