Start by marking “Falling Uphill” as Want to Read:
Falling Uphill

Falling Uphill

“Ruth Fenton is dead, but what does that have to do with me?”
That’s what Candace Grey, 29, wants to know after receiving a puzzling phone message from San Francisco.

Published 2011 by Culture Wave Press

To ask other readers questions about Falling Uphill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Uphill

Bette Jacobson
College professor Candace Grey is going to LA to begin researching her maters thesis on Pamela Parrish and Hollywood sitcom women and their influence on the role of women in America.

Candace stops in San Francisco for her Aunt Ruth’s memorial before continuing on to L.A. which is fortuitous because she meets a woman at the senior home that claims that Pamela Parrish (think Donna Reed) was murdered. She also meets reporter Brandon Treadwell who provides research assistance and romance.

Romance and
Joan Reeves
Gem of a Book

I truly loved this story from the first page which sucks you in with a great hook and doesn't release you until the end, at which time you want to go back to the beginning and read the book again.

Blurbing The Book

In this multi-layered novel, Candace Grey, an anthropology professor at a small Michigan college, is almost 30 and mired in a fizzling relationship with a man who won't commit any more than he'll become the kind of man she needs.

With plans made for a summer of research in L
Kbee
Apr 23, 2012 Kbee marked it as to-read
A bright, but slightly absent-minded anthropology teacher at a small Michigan college, Candace is all set to leave for Los Angeles to conduct research on 1960s TV star Pamela Parrish—America’s Sitcom Sweetheart—for her Master’s thesis on television and female gender roles. But after discovering that Ruth Fenton is a long lost relative, she’s first off to San Francisco for her memorial service where she meets a crazy(?) old lady who claims Pamela Parrish didn’t commit suicide like everybody says— ...more
Bobbi Steadman
Dec 13, 2012 Bobbi Steadman rated it liked it
Wasn't an awful read, but was far from impressive. I felt that Candace Grey's personality might be of a girl fresh out of high school and unsure of herself. Being a pretty well accomplished woman, she should have had a great deal more confidence than she did and her constant doubts about herself and her relationship began to seriously grate my nerves. I feel that she was much too dependent on her relationship, but when it ended (although she was expecting it wouldn't last much longer) she was up ...more
Christine
May 14, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
A darling novel about a gender studies/tv researcher who falls in love with San Francisco and a new man. Anyone who misses walking the city should read this book!

The one negative I have is that the author was unrealistic in her choice of career prospects for her heroine. Tokununga places her as a teacher at a liberal arts college in the anthropology department, without a post-bachelor's degree. It is possible for a college to hire someone based on significant life experience, usually in teaching
Gayla Nelson
Candace is a well rounded character surrounded by a variety of interesting less developed characters. The plot carries through the story well and the ending is fine. Not the best novel I have ever read, but I liked it enough to finish it. I related to it as she was a college professor working on a book, but it was set in San Francisco and Michigan and sometimes it seemed like the writer took the easy way out. I did like the subtle dry humor of the author. There were some memorable lines in it fo ...more
Kathy
Apr 07, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. Falling Uphill by Wendy Nelson Tokunaga is a vastly entertaining and light-hearted novel that is a delightful mix of romance and mystery. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://www.bookreviewsandmorebykathy....
Betty
Jun 02, 2012 Betty rated it liked it
Descriptions of the city were wonderful.
Kathleen Crowell
Jan 05, 2014 Kathleen Crowell rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this but the characters and storyline fell flat. I did love the imagery of San Francisco though. you can really tell WT loves her home!
Glenn Harris
Jul 25, 2012 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
Quite a nice little mystery/romance as an anthropology professor tries to find the truth about the thirty-year-old death of a Hollywood actress.
The One Tree
Jul 16, 2012 The One Tree rated it liked it
This was a lovely light read. Very enjoyable.
Caroline Gabel
Apr 30, 2012 Caroline Gabel rated it liked it
its more a romance than a mystery, i prefer the other way around
Rhiannon
May 05, 2012 Rhiannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh-bad
The beginning is really really boring, so I gave up.

It's interesting. I'm fine with giving up on kindle books, but not physical books. Maybe I should read some more kindle books.
Diane Wheatley
Jun 13, 2012 Diane Wheatley rated it really liked it
A very sweet story. I read it on the plane. Good light book. Free on Kindle. Recommend it for a summer read in between heavier literature.
Charlene
Mar 05, 2013 Charlene rated it it was ok
Nice piece of fluff but not much of a story. Kept expecting some real intrigue or danger but the plot disappointed me.
Mindy
Mar 01, 2014 Mindy rated it really liked it
Very cute
Shirley
Apr 28, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
Very cute, a little slow in the beginning but captivating by the end. It could be compared to an Agatha Christie mystery novel with a touch of your typical chic-lit romance.
Janice
Dec 12, 2012 Janice rated it liked it
a light fluffy predictable read
Vianna  Tedder
Jan 29, 2013 Vianna Tedder rated it it was ok
Predicatable and always calling the dog food by it's full name was a little weird, was it supposed to mean something? Or was it supposed to be witty?
Kim
Dec 25, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Cute fluff.
Gillian
Aug 21, 2013 Gillian rated it liked it
This was a cute, but pretty predictable book. It was light and fun. Thought I am pretty sure the author is not American and trying to pass her characters off as... funny.
Katya
Oct 03, 2012 Katya rated it it was amazing
Cute, lighthearted escapism! And those descriptions of SF really stole my heart.
Susan
Oct 16, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Decent, "fill your time" kind of book.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Corrie
Corrie rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
May 15, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
  • Stigma
  • Desolate
  • Book of Nathan
  • The Last Election
  • Frame Up (Knight and Devlin, #2)
  • At Risk (Steve Cline Mysteries #1)
  • Final Passage
  • The Philanthropist's Danse
  • CrossFire
  • The Tourist Trail
  • Death on a Deadline ( Sleuthing Sisters Mystery)
  • When Pigs Fly
  • Drew in Blue
  • Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • SNAP: The World Unfolds