Start by marking “Valentina” as Want to Read:
Valentina

Valentina

2.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Much of the world is burning or flooded. The temperate zones are still habitable - and one small island is teeming with climate refugees. Life in the Badlands is dangerous, disease-ridden, violent and controlled by gangsters and terrorists.

But Valentina lives high in the privileged Citadel, at the heart of the heavily protected Green Zone. She is the president's daughter,
Published 2012 by Little Island

To ask other readers questions about Valentina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valentina

Vickie Wilson
Jan 26, 2016 Vickie Wilson marked it as did-not-finish
I bought this because the cover is gorgeous and hey, it was in a sale! However I should have looked at the reviews first because I couldn't get past the first chapter, which is pretty rare for me. Mainly because the storytelling was terrible. Truly terrible.

I'm not sure the author has ever read a children's book in his life. The cover and blurb scream that it's a YA, dystopian novel, but I opened it to the same disappointment that the people who bought Milk Tray experienced when they opened the
Natalya ~*Kittendonut!*~ Schuyler - Phillipa Mew
From the sky, it was impossible to tell who was legal and who was illegal and where one zone finished and the next began. OK, that might seem like a trite and sentimental observation worthy of one of John's disciples to be followed by a hippy hymn, but tell me I'm wrong, if you can."
I liked it for the most part. Valentina reminded me of a dystopian version of Sophie FitzOsborne in A Brief History of Montmaray but occasionally a bit childish with unfortunate echoes of Marguerite's cliched sarca
The Basic Bookworm
Mar 25, 2016 The Basic Bookworm rated it liked it
The full review is available on The Basic Bookworm

Valentina by Kevin McDermott is a young adult fiction novel that incorporates dystopian themes with adventure and humour. I have been eyeing this book on Book Depository for so long, and I recently gave in and purchased it. I was drawn in by the description, as I love dystopian novels. Unfortunately, the novel didn’t live up to my expectations, and I’ll explain why shortly.

Humour made an appearance numerous times in the book, in the forms of sarc
Dalbro
May 20, 2015 Dalbro rated it liked it
Det meste af kloden er oversvømmet eller udtørret. På en ø, som er undsluppet de værste naturkatastrofer, bor Valentina i Fortet - en stærkt bevogtet lille del af øen, forbeholdt de rige og priviligerede. Valentina er præsidentens datter; beskyttet, forkælet, arrogant.

Provokeret af sine venner, den norske klimaflygtning Pippa og den temperamentsfulde Damien, indvilliger hun i at tage på en hemmelig tur til Ødemarken uden for Fortet. Det bliver en livsfarlig tur ikke alle vender hjem fra.

Valentin
Eimear
Sep 09, 2015 Eimear rated it liked it
Here's a link to my blog, An Abundance of Novels , for more reviews.

Valentina is a dystopian YA novel set on the island of Ireland, way in the future. It follows the absolutely mad escapades of Valentina , fourteen year old daughter of the president of the State of Free Citizens, as she leaves the safe haven of the Citadel, and travels to the badlands. If that isn’t enough to get you hooked I don’t know what is? To be honest, the main reason I picked this book is because it was written by an I
Iona
Mar 25, 2013 Iona rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
I really wanted to like this book. I really, really did. The concept was interesting and the cover is pretty cool but it is just… How do I explain this book? Poorly written would be one way except I’m pretty sure the author, who is well educated in the English language and art of writing, is a good writer.

Maybe then it is the age range the book is targeted for. It feels like it was definitely aiming for the younger end of young adult. The end of young adult that’s not really adult at all. See t
Lisa (lisareadsall)

Valentina is the president's daughter living in the Citadel with the high and mighty families of the island. The island is the only place in the world still habitable for humans and it is divided up into three zones: the Green Zone, the Amber Zone and the Red Zone also called the Badlands. The people in the Amber and Red zones are mostly refugees, terrorist and antiterrorist groups fighting each other. The government in the Citadel only controls the people living inside the Green Zones,
Bethany Perkins
Jun 11, 2014 Bethany Perkins rated it really liked it
I really hated this book at the start, how Valentina was so spoilt and such an unlikable character. But as the story went on i couldnt put it down. Not written very well but an excellent concept and storyline.
atlanta
atlanta rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Sumayya
Sumayya marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Zuzana Zet Ľudviková
Zuzana Zet Ľudviková rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Kendra Stegemoller
Kendra Stegemoller marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Monster Inside
Monster Inside rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Feb 24, 2016
Jenna Castle
Jenna Castle rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
CatKin
CatKin added it
Jan 21, 2016
Isabelle Ley
Isabelle Ley marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Dorthe Hansen
Dorthe Hansen rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Morgan Cheng
Morgan Cheng marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Rachel Held
Rachel Held marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Anne-sophie Olsen
Anne-sophie Olsen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Ellen Cross
Ellen Cross marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Vyv
Vyv marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015