Start by marking “Four Testimonies” as Want to Read:
Four Testimonies

Four Testimonies

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"The Testimony of Simone Weil, " the first of the four long poems that form Kate Daniels' new collection, gives voice to the radical French political thinker and religious philosopher. Here Weil meditates on some of the most famous images by Eugene Atget, the acclaimed documentary photographer who recorded a perishing Old Paris. Three survivors of the collapse of the Nimit ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Louisiana State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Four Testimonies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Testimonies

Jimmy
Four long poems. The first one is about Simone Weil (1909-1943). She was a radical French political thinker and religious philosopher. She died from self-starvation at the age of 34. She was a lifelong sufferer from anorexia.

My favorite poem was the second one. A woman is trapped in her car after an earthquake with her dying children.
Diann Blakely
Twenty years ago, America’s university presses had a reputation for publishing books that were either quaintly local or unreadably erudite. Footnote-ridden tomes on Shakespeare’s use of the exclamation point, for example, or works devoted to quilting patterns in northeast Alabama usually lost money. But universities tended to regard the red ink as a necessary badge of honor in their sometimes dubious pursuit of prestige and scholarship.

Today, universities operate like corporations, slashing budg
Tina
I don't usually read poetry, so I'm not sure I'm a good critic. Several selections, especially the ones on motherhood, made me weep before I knew what hit me. Several poems I want to copy into my favorite quote book. I want to share some of the poems, but I'm not sure how others will react (I'll be disappointed if they don't like them), so I'm tempted to just keep them to myself. I'm guessing this means the poetry is good?!
Amy
Ambitious, formal, excellent poetry on a difficult subject. The book deals with the collapse of the overpass in the most recent San Francisco earthquake from four different perspectives. Very difficult subject and approach that's moving and, for the most part, successful.
Alicia Mooney
I am trying to reread this collection. I need to return to it and give another chance.
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
stephanie cassidy
stephanie cassidy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012
Ruth
Ruth added it
Mar 13, 2012
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 26, 2011
Laurie Williams
Laurie Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2010
Sharon
Sharon added it
Jun 23, 2010
!Tæmbuŝu
!Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
May 29, 2010
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2009
Never Get Enough Deadville More Than Enough The Niobe Poems A Walk in Victoria's Secret