Start by marking “The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2)

The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,726 Ratings  ·  782 Reviews

Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town...
My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.
Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I'v
ebook, 1st Edition, 400 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom, please sign up.

Lynda You will have to either purchase the ebook or the actual book online or at a store that sells them. You can also see if your local library has the…moreYou will have to either purchase the ebook or the actual book online or at a store that sells them. You can also see if your local library has the book you wish to read and borrow it from them. Goodreads keeps track of books for you but does not provide them to the members.(less)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Something was seriously amiss in this town. I’d felt it the moment I crossed Bell Lake. The shadows seem deeper, the nights longer, the secrets older. Even the wind felt different here.

In The Kingdom, second book in The Graveyard Queen series, Amelia Gray is called to restore the local cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, and she gladly accepts, hoping that some time away will help put emotional distance between her and John Devlin, the haunted police detective she desperately lov
Rane

The isolated kingdom surrounded by water- looms heavy over the town that once blossom, now cloaked by darkness and evil. And there underneath the water lays stone angels and the graves of those of the unrest as they walk among the living looking for peace and justice.

The Kingdom takes place a few months after the events of The Restorer, with the focus on a past unknown to even Amelia Gray. Amanda Stevens turns up the dial on the spooky and suspense level. First and foremost with The Restorer th
♥Rachel♥
Much better than the first one! There wasn't much of a romance, in my opinion, because I didn't think Thane Asher would usurp Devlin's place in Amelia's heart.

The mystery was well plotted and I while I did guess pretty early on what was going on, it was satisfying to be in the know. I have to say, there were some pretty terrible people here! Very sad what selfish people were willing to do. Thankfully, there was some just retribution. I thought The Kingdom was way spookier than The Restorer; the
Pepa
Jul 13, 2016 Pepa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Excepto las últimas 50 páginas la autora no ha sabido atraparme en la historia. Seguro que cosa mía, dadas las buenas críticas que tiene la novela.
No he entendido muchas cosas.... esa relación con Thane... (no recuerdo si se escribe así) ¿con esas escenas que ni merecen comentarse entre ambos, no sé si tanto sigue pensando en Devlin sería para ella les diera suficiente importancia, no? Y ese responsable de todo_!!! No sé, como si ella, que no tiene pareja necesitara excusas... esa moraleja no me
Inés Izal
Jul 24, 2016 Inés Izal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, grupo-lc
Pese a tener un inicio muy lento (demasiado para mi gusto), la autora sabe solucionarlo con ese aire misterioso y tenebroso que hace que no te despegues de sus páginas.
La parte del gran misterio ya intuía por donde iban a ir los tiros, pero me ha gustado muchísimo ese giro del final, ha descuadrado todos mis esquemas.
Pero sigo diciendo lo mismo, siento como que Amanda mete mucha paja a la historia y luego todo lo soluciona en las últimas páginas.
Le doy el 4 por el ambiente y por la forma de es
Maria Clara
Feb 17, 2016 Maria Clara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una serie increíble! Única! Realmente poco puedo decir o añadir sobre lo ya dicho, pero la autora consigue con esta segunda parte un relato más oscuro y siniestro, capaz de hacernos sentir el mal que asola en Asher Falls. Mágico!
Jessica
A pretty decent sequel in the series. It didn't capture me as in depth as the first one did. Amanda learns more about her past as she journeys to Asher Falls to restore a cemetery. Her connection to Asher Falls becomes readily apparent and she is shocked to learn the level of that connection. An enjoyable read as it builds on the darkening forces of the Others and what it means to be a caulbearer.
Litzy
Jun 10, 2016 Litzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amo a esta mujer. Me encanta como escribe y sus historias. aunque extrañe a Devlin.
Lisa Kay
The Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, North Carolina. One can see why these mountains got their name.

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Khristine Hvam continues the narration of Amanda Stevens’s eerie mystery series. She does an excellent job reading this in first person POV as Amelia Gray, a cemetery restorer. Her Southern accent is perfection, as well as her cadence, tone, inflection, enunciation, and her ability to different voices. There is a reason Ms. Hvam was on my Top Ten Audio Lis
Jonetta
Amelia Gray is commissioned to restore a cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, not far from Charleston. From the moment she steps on the ferry that will take her to that destination, Amelia begins to sense a personal connection and something unsettling about this place.

As with the first book, there is an odd, intriguing mix of eeriness, Southernness and romance at play that just works. Amelia is immediately swept up into the politics and personalities of Asher Falls, all the while feeling a
Jenny Q
Apr 26, 2012 Jenny Q rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. The Restorer was one of my favorite books of 2011 and I was anxiously awaiting it's sequel. The Kingdom did not disappoint. The spook factor begins on page one, as Amelia makes her way to the remote town of Asher Falls to restore the small town's cemetery. Amelia's grateful for the change in scenery. She needs a break from Charleston, from the events of the past few months, and she's running away from the man she loves, John Devlin, and the ghosts that haunt him.

But Asher Falls turns
AH
I fell in love with this series after I read The Restorer. The second book in the series, The Kingdom continues Amelia Gray’s story. Amelia is a young woman who has an unlikely occupation: she restores old and abandoned cemeteries. The Kingdom finds Amelia commissioned to restore the Thorngate Cemetery in the town of Asher Falls, South Carolina.

Asher Falls is nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is an isolated town and the population is eccentric. They seem friendly, but some
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Definitely my favorite in the series!

I loved how Amelia is brought into a new setting and learns of her past while figuring out her future. Will it be Devlin or Thane?

Will she even make it out of Asher Falls?

Laura the Highland Hussy
Read my review on Demon Lover's

In Asher Falls, the cemetery was flooded when the river was dammed up. Now the townsfolk are living with the aftermath.

"...around here we call it Bell Lake."
"Why?"
"In the old days, coffins were equipped with a warning system-a chain attached to a bell on the grave in case of a premature burial. They say at night, when the mist rolls in, you can hear those bells."

Amelia hears those bells. She hears them every time there is a mist, and with that mist is a spirit
⊱ Irena ⊰
I read The Restorer more than two years ago and every time I thought of reading the next I remembered the level of angst in the first book. On the one hand, what a hell was I thinking? On the other, though, I am glad I waited. I needed distance from the Devlin situation. You know when you don't have anyone to blame (or hate) in a book and it's still messed up? That.

Amelia accepted a new commission in an isolated small town called Asher Falls. She needs distance and piece from everything and this
Jenna~Ice Queen~Dreams
BEST SERIES OF THE YEAR. No joke, I really mean that. Kept me on my toes the WHOLE time. Loved it. HIGHLY recommend reading it. WOW WOW WOW.
Kira
Mar 07, 2016 Kira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amelia wanted to escape her problems in Charleston. A chance to escape arose when a cemetery needed to be restored in a small, isolated town. Most of the people there weren’t friendly, and everyone had secrets they were keeping. Something about the town wasn’t right.

I like this book although I still think it’s the worst book in the series. It was odd having the second book in the series take place in a new setting with a whole new cast of characters except for Amelia. These characters were mean
Jen (Red Hot Books)
This book was nothing like I expected it to be and yet it manages to advance the Graveyard Queen series in a way that maintains the tone and answers some of the questions set up in The Restorer. It has elements of horror. It has danger. It, of course, has ghosts. But what it doesn't have... is John Devlin. But I'll get back to that in a minute.

It's been a few months since the events of the last book and Amelia has accepted a new job in a new town called Asher Falls. She has been trying to keep h
MISS VAIN
Mar 19, 2012 MISS VAIN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Never Acknowledge the Dead, Never stray far from hallowed ground, Never associate with the haunted, and never tempt fate.

The Kingdom begins a few months after the events that occurred in The Restorer. She has left Devlin behind, in the hopes of finally obeying her fathers wishes. She quickly emerges herself into her work to forget about the lovely and captivating Devlin. She has been hired to restore a cemetery in Asher Falls, and soon discovers that this town comes with ore secrets than Carte
Susana
This story really disappointed me.
Honestly, I was expecting a whole lot more from this...
After reading the first volume, Amelia's strange characterization no longer came as a surprise. But while on the first story, the mystery kept me from dwelling on a "couple of things" that I just found irritating; in this one, the mystery wasn't all that interesting...and not all that mysterious.

If the book were to be evaluated only on account of his "photography" aspect,its so called atmosphere and scenari
Shelley
Mar 06, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-releases
*Review*

The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2) finds Amelia Gray accepting new job restoring Thorngate cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina. This comes nearly a month after the events of The Restorer where she was nearly a victim of a serial killer and broke every rule in avoiding ghosts at all costs.

Asher Falls is a town that is secluded and reachable only by ferry. The town’s people are a six pack short of a case and there is tension as well as a feeling of foreboding from the moment Amelia hits
Pamela / SpazP
Jan 16, 2012 Pamela / SpazP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
(spoiler free)
I would dare say The Kingdom is damn near perfection. I was already eager to read it, but never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate such an amazingly intense and spooky ride. The imagery Amanda Stevens creates right from the first scene starts the incredibly haunting tone of the book, and it never lets up or runs out of steam - it just keeps plowing ahead. Her narration and descriptions are so colorful and vivid. The characters so deep a
Kimberly
Nov 06, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
4.5 I am totally in love with the Graveyard Queen series! It has all of the elements I love in a good urban fantasy. We have excellent characters, a little paranormal woo-woo and lots of mystery and suspense. I totally want to be a cemetery restorer now! The Kingdom delivers a creepy-tasitc tale and is perfect for fall.

The tale picks up shortly after the Restorer ends and Amelia Gray has accepted a commission to restore Thorngate cemetery located in Asher Falls, South Carolina. She is happy for
Cisz Strasters
Jan 29, 2016 Cisz Strasters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wat een enorm goede auteur! Net als je denkt dat je alles weet, weet ze je weer compleet te verrassen. Sterk verhaal, goed uitgevoerd, met een goede doordachte verhaallijn. Fantastisch hoe ze het bovennatuurlijk zo normaal weet te maken voor de hoofdpersoon. Normaal en tegelijke tijd iets waar ze niet met anderen over kan praten. Ik ben fan!!
Olga
Jul 12, 2016 Olga rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Después de leer la restauradora , esperaba más de esta segunda parte donde se descubren los secretos de Amelia... Pero la verdad es que esperaba más intriga, más suspense y menos recuerdos a Devlin ya que la " historia de amor " con el , no es para recordarla ( como hace Amelia)!

Amelia me sigue resultando un personaje inmaduro , débil y que solo parece vivir con miedo cuando por su vida debería ser un personaje fuerte, decidido y con voluntad...
Los dos únicos personajes que se han salvado de la
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 27, 2012
Publisher: Harelquin
Imprint: Mira
Author’s Website: http://www.amandastevens.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, The Graveyard Queen
Series Best Read In Order: Probably, but might work well as a standalone.
Steam Level: Steamy

I should probably start this review off with how much I adore this series. The Restorer is the first book I ever rated as 5-Stars
Anzu The Great Destroyer
“Asher Falls. Welcome to our kingdom, Amelia Gray.”

Long story short
Amelia Gray gets a new commission in Asher Falls, a town full of mysterious people and a secret that will change her life forever.

My thoughts
I absolutely loved The Restorer, book one of the Graveyard Queen series, and I had to know what happens next. That’s why I started The Kingdom right after I finished it. I don’t know if this was a mistake or not, but I did not enjoy The Kingdom one bit.

My problems with The Kingdom are
Heidi
Mar 28, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Four and half stars: Amanda Stevens returns with more chills and thrills in this creepy sequel to The Restorer.

Amelia Gray, is escaping Charleston after the terrifying and climatic events at the end of book one, The Restorer. She takes on a new graveyard restoration job, in the small town of Asher Falls, South Carolina. Amelia is hoping that burying herself in the cemetery restoration will take her mind off Devlin. She ended her relationship with him, knowing that it could not continue as long
Delitealex
Apr 06, 2016 Delitealex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, paranormal, ghosts
I really enjoyed the writing it was definitely creepy. Loved when Amelia researched and mentioned differences in meanings of gravestone markings and other things about graveyards. It was also great to find out more of Amelia's past and the circumstances of her birth. There was alot of action and things to figure out that kept my interest. I can't wait to continue on with the series.
Jen
I read this book almost a week ago now (on April 23rd; today is the 29th), and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it. But it wasn't as scary or as suspenseful for me as was book one, so I'm only going to give this second outing with Amelia three stars. It was good, and I liked it okay, but I am just not a fan of Amelia Gray. :-(

In this outing, Amelia has accepted a cemetery restoration job in Asher Falls, South Carolina. And as the book jacket says, "I'm coming to think I have another
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • The Uninvited (Krewe of Hunters, #8)
  • The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)
  • Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • House of Shadows: a Gothic Romance
Amanda Stevens is the award-winning author of over fifty novels, including the modern gothic series, The Graveyard Queen. Her books have been described as eerie and atmospheric, “a new take on the classic ghost story.” Born and raised in the rural south, she now resides in Houston, Texas, where she enjoys binge-watching, bike riding and the occasional Horror Night with friends.

The Graveyard Queen
More about Amanda Stevens...

Graveyard Queen (5 books)
  • The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1)
  • The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)
  • The Visitor (Graveyard Queen, #4)
  • The Sinner (Graveyard Queen, #5)

“I’ve heard people say that the hardest thing in the world is to live with someone you don’t love. But I’ve always thought it would be far more difficult to live with someone who doesn’t love you.” 17 likes
“I think some weirdo with a little red wagon is the last thing you need to be worried about in these hills” 4 likes