Start by marking “The Heart of the Jungle” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Jungle

The Heart of the Jungle

Chris James is Fate’s favorite plaything. When She took his parents in a car crash, Chris narrowly escaped the grief with his life, and he has the scars on his wrists to prove it. Seven years later, just as his life is finally turning around, Fate smashes his universe once again, taking his partner and two-year-old daughter and leaving behind a bloodbath.

After nearly a yea
Paperback, 1st Edition, 250 pages
Published April 30th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Jungle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Jungle

Leaundra
May 01, 2012 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I wish I was an author because I know I'm not going to do this review justice. I have to say this book grabbed me from the beginning and never let go. It is more heavy on the mystery there's romance but the mystery takes center stage and I actually liked that. It worked for this book. I never got to relax reading this book because there was so much crazy stuff going on. There were plenty of times I wanted to throw my Kindle(That's a good thing,lol) There were so many twist and turns wh ...more
Jenn
May 03, 2012 Jenn rated it did not like it
I don't even know where to begin.

When this started with the prologue, I thought the dialogue, word choices, and style of the book had to be purposefully odd. Something as over-the-top as movies like Body Heat, Wild Things, or Romancing the Stone. I laughed thinking I was in on the joke.

But, by about maybe the second or third chapter I started thinking I had been way, way wrong. Then, the clichés, characters, and plot all became painful to read.

I didn't feel any heat between the two MCs. Why o
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I want to give this 5 stars because it was everything I love: danger, non-stop action, excellent pacing, people in peril with their true love desperate to find them, interesting characters, sweet MCs, complexity, twists, and (view spoiler), etc. But there were a lot of things wrong that bugged me:

The timeline was completely off. Someone knew about somethi
Poppy Dennison
May 12, 2012 Poppy Dennison rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic mystery! Gah, I cried like a baby through the first bit. Your heart will just break into a million pieces for Chris, but it when the plot thickens, it develops so beautifully. I kept thinking I had it figured out and then I'd think I was wrong...but was I wrong? I love it when that happens. Great story!
Jayded
Aug 07, 2012 Jayded rated it did not like it
Ok, I haven't actually finished this, I'm a little over half way done, and I want so badly to love it, the plot is awesome, but the writing is so overblown I can barely get through it. Reactions are over the top, descriptions are too long. I am approaching the big sex scene, and I am cringing at the thought of how it is likely to be described. really disappointed.
ETA I have finished the book. the sex scene read like something out of a seventies harlequin romance, The investigator was incompetent
Amanda
This was a pretty great book. I cried in the first few chapters and just fell for Chris. Poor Chris. He guy needs some serious hugging.

There were some issues I had. One was the main characters had a bad case of insta-love. i know some people really like that, I'm not so much. Also, every issue that came up had an easy out.

Regardless of the above complaints, I would definately recommend this book. It was emotional and it was very very good.
MLE
Sep 06, 2012 MLE rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm, arc
I received this book as an ARC through Net Galley. Thank you to the publisher, author, and Net Galley for opportunity to read, and review it.

I was excited to read this. I thought it would be a fun blend of action, and adventure. Maybe something along the lines of Romancing the Stone (dating myself a bit there, I know). I was sadly disappointed. I found the characters to be thin, the dialog overblown, and the plot read like a poor Bond rip-off. The villains were so stereotypical that I expected
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧•°**★❧ •°**★
In This Book You Will Find Sprinklings of a Romance~

Chris and Jason~

The Book and More of What I Found~

❤Action
❤Mystery
❤Solid Writing
❤Solid Plot.
❤Love ~ An ever-so-sweetly written love story, however; IMO this is not primarily a romance novel...but,, there is a sweet as heck romantic ending~

I SIMPLY LOVED IT!

Elisa Rolle
Aug 26, 2012 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2012 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Lady*M
Apr 28, 2012 Lady*M rated it liked it
3.5 stars - Well-written mystery/suspense that suffers from a case of "tell, not show". In spite of its flaws, the book is a refreshing addition to the genre.

My ongoing romance with mysteries started during one summer while I was in junior high when I read two dozen of Agatha Christie's novels. When I started reading gay fiction/romance, my love for mysteries followed me. From Dave Brandstetter to Adrien English, from Donald Strachey to Stanley Kroski, there is something so appealing, something
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
May 01, 2012 Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews rated it it was amazing
5 Hearts

Very slight romantic element.

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Chris has been handed a harsh hand by fate. Those that he loves have been taken from him, but he has no closure. A chance encounter brings a man who might be able to give him some answers, but as the digging begins and secrets come out, he realizes that the betrayals go deeper than he could ever imagine. Jason is haunted by an incident in his past. As he helps Chris get to the trut
Nicci
May 24, 2012 Nicci rated it really liked it
Chris James’ life is in a terrible mess. Fate does have it in for him as the police close the murder case of his partner and daughter as unresolved. He lives alone in the seat of the crime with memories wrapped around him in misery. Depression and mental instability wait to strike and take him down. Not even his best friend, George, can pull Chris out of the deep funk he has been swimming in for the past ten months.

The Heart of the Jungle is mostly an action packed murder mystery with the main c
Fehu

Very good thriller with a romance inside! I've read some review that said this book had no romance but it does, the romance is just not the main point of the story, but it's there.

This book has a story and it's focus is more on the mystery of crime which left a lot of questions for the police and the one left behind, Chris. One year after thinking his daughter and lover might have been murdered, a chance encounter brings new information about the lover he didn't know as well as he thought.

The po
Monika
Apr 29, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loved this book from the start, it’s a mystery, suspense, action story where the romance plays a secondary roll. I love a good mystery and this one was a joy to read, it was well written, well thought out and not over the top. Chris and Jason are believable main characters not the super human characters we sometimes see in books. My heart hurt for Chris trying to deal with the loss of his child but I just loved how he becomes strong and fierce as he tries to find out what happened to hi
SueM
A very good M/M romantic suspense novel about a man, Chris,who lost everything when his daughter and his partner went missing, assumed murdered; and a former FBI agent, Jason, now a PI, who helps Chris to find the answers to why his life was torn apart.

Chris's past is both painful and heartbreaking, and Jason also carries some baggage from his days with the FBI. Together they find that nothing in Chris's life, both past and present, is what it seems, with the exception of his daughter.
Morgana
I really liked this book. The main MCs were very likeable, and the mystery, let me tell you, was great!

The only reason why it's not a five star read for me is too little romance in the book. Not many kisses and only one sex scene, and even that one was very short.

So... if you're looking for a typical m/m romance you won't find it here and may not enjoy the book as much as I did.

BUT if you don't mind that the focus is on the mystery, if you like suspense and some action you will love this book
L-D
I really enjoyed this book from a plot perspective. I thought that the mystery was well written and it had me interested from cover to cover. I didn't love the Main Character, Chris James, but I also understand that he is an emotional wreck after he loses his partner and daughter. He was a bit manic-depressive and emotionally unavailable. Because of that, I'm not entirely sure what Jason Kingsley sees in him and I couldn't see the connection between the MCs. I did really like Jason's character.

Feliz
May 05, 2012 Feliz rated it really liked it
This book is so well-written that this makes up for the rather noticeable plot bumps ( not holes, though) and the lenghthy internal monologue-style "telling not showing" parts. I thought this a pleasant and engrossing read.
Kristy Maitz
May 16, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it liked it
I expected little bit more from that book. But oh well, we don't always get what we want. Jason and Chris as a couple did not pull me and story plot is la, la, la.
Jaime
May 01, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-reads
4.5
This was a really good story, liked it a lot! I had a few niggles with it, but other then that enjoyed it. I was never bored while reading it.
D
I wanted to like this more, but it reminded me too much of an action movie.
Riayl
Nov 04, 2013 Riayl rated it liked it
I wanted to like this one more than I did. This was another book that straddled the line between romance and something else, in this case mystery/thriller/action and never quite made it, at least for me. Also, I just couldn't connect with the characters. I had no emotional attachment to them and even though terrible things had happened in both of their lives, I just really didn't care. (I feel horrible admitting that, but there you go.) (view spoiler) ...more
Christi Snow
May 17, 2012 Christi Snow rated it really liked it
My Review:
I write romantic suspense and as I read this book, I was continually amazed at how well Jeremy Pack wove the suspense line with all its twists and turns. It's really well done in this one and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

This book is about Chris. His world revolves around his daughter and his partner, Michael. When the story starts, you can see the obvious fractures in his relationship with his partner, but that doesn't change his complete devastation at what he comes home to...a bl
Fehu
May 22, 2012 Fehu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to all m/m romance mystery lovers, who loves a slow building romance
Rating: 4,5 stars

Very good mstery thriller with a romance inside! I've read some review that said this book had no romance but it does, the romance is just not the main point of the story, but it's there.

Pam
I give it a 4.5

With his first release, author Jeremy Pack has come up with a winner. It's a complicated murder mystery and has so many twists and turns I didn't miss a heavy romance element. The story starts with a prologue that sets up the rest of the book. It grabbed my attention on the opening pages and pulled me into the story, almost demanding I turn the next page.

You can tell that Chris's life is a mess and ready to fall apart. In those first few pages Mr. Pack sets up the emotional turmoi
Ashley
May 24, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads, and was thrilled because I like a good mystery. I'll try not to include any spoilers.

The main character in the book hooked me into the story in the beginning, especially with the tragedy that he experiences. The author's description of Chris's reaction to the news is spot on for how I think most people would feel in that situation.

I've heard the adage that authors should write what they know. I could tell that the author is a parent because of the
Shay
May 20, 2012 Shay rated it liked it
This book was okay, it was NOT all that. I don't know if it's because I just got done reading Armed & Dangerous by Abigail Roux but I found it to be really lacking. I don't even know how those two fell in love with their lame ass chemistry and even lamer sex scene. If you can even called what they did a sex scene. lMAO but the story was well written just lack depth or something between the two MCs. If your really interested in a mystery with HOT sexy chemistry between two guys check out Arme ...more
Anatheia
There was absolutely no originality in this book and like often, love at first sight. Urgh. JUST URGH!

The romance between the MCs isn't believable at all. Chris is like fainting and trembling everywhere when he sees Jason for the first time (exaggerating much?!) and then Jason is such a big asshole. (view spoiler)
You don't feel anything growing between them.
And to be honest, Chris was truly annoying sometim
Kate McMurray
May 03, 2012 Kate McMurray rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
Really great debut novel! As others have said, the book is much more a mystery than a romance (not a problem for me at all, since I love mysteries) and the book is especially good at the beginning (which hooks you right in—and, in fact, had the potential for a lot of pathos but I thought it got the emotion just right for what this character is going through without going overboard) and during the novel's climax, which is action-driven and tense in the best way. I had a few niggles, but over all, ...more
Maddie
Jan 14, 2013 Maddie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
The mystery of this story was much more involved than I expected! There was some nice romance and sexual tension, but all the while retaining aspects of real relationships- problems, etc.

This book made me enjoy a mystery, which doesn't often happen unless the mystery is really very intriguing. (I'll read them, but not really enjoy them once I'm finished).

Really, I am giving this book a 4.5, but I had to round up for the star system. (Didn't want to gip it).

Go read it, even if you don't like myst
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Note of Thanks... 1 25 Apr 12, 2012 11:58AM
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
  • Continental Divide (Separate Ways, #1)
  • Alaska Hunt
  • Loving Luki Vasquez (Vasquez & James, #1)
  • Rarer Than Rubies (Precious Gems, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
  • Lies and Consequences
  • Caregiver
  • Art of Death (Death #1)
  • Sorcerer's Knot
  • Sauntering Vaguely Downward
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Bodies of Work: An Avondale Story
  • The Morning Star (Shadow of the Templar, #1)
  • Twice by Chance (Second Chances, #1)
  • 72 Hours