Start by marking “The Battle Hymn Blues” as Want to Read:
The Battle Hymn Blues

The Battle Hymn Blues

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Stoney Nix can play anything, from Beethoven to the Blues, on his old rattletrap piano. It’s just a gift, and a good one. Music is his ticket out of Pinewood, Alabama, his ironic, dying hometown, where they reenact the Civil War but cancel marching band because it’s too small. Then Sadie Green, the hilarious and beautiful new girl (and Stoney’s major crush), convinces him ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle Hymn Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle Hymn Blues

Jessica Grey
Feb 14, 2013 Jessica Grey rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect when I picked up this book and it turned out to be one of the best books I read in 2012. The voice was fresh and unique...it made me THINK about this story - about the main character - for weeks after I'd finished.

One of the most interesting aspects of this book to me was how music was such an integral part of Stoney's existence. I live with people who have perfect pitch (thank goodness I don't, it seems more of a curse than a blessing) and live their lives to their
Rincey
Apr 26, 2012 Rincey rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I downloaded this as a free Kindle download and read it during my free time and breaks at work.

I don't know, I just didn't get this book. The first half seems really interesting, I was really intrigued by the characters [especially Clyde] but then the big climax of the story happens and everything seems to fall apart from there.

***minor spoilers**

Ghosts??? Seriously, there were chapters of just the main character and ghosts. I understand that they were hallucinations, but what was the point?

I
Daniel Anuchan
Aug 14, 2013 Daniel Anuchan rated it it was amazing
Loved the book! Narrator's voice was entertaining and engaging, the theme was interesting, and the protagonist had a thrilling perspective. It would appeal to teenage boys.

I give it 5 stars for an American audience, but I would take off a star for international audiences because of its heavy reliance on the US Civil War. The constant references to music struck me as odd in a novel, but it could be appealing to the target audience.

Nichelle
Jul 03, 2012 Nichelle rated it really liked it
This book went far beyond the expectations I had for it! I really enjoyed it and I'll add it to my YA collection for my classroom and recommend it for boys (and girls!). It has a lot of history to it as well as a character that is very genuine. I really enjoyed Stony and his way of seeing the world through music. A really wonderful read!
Nora
Jul 07, 2012 Nora rated it liked it
This book is about Stoney, named after General Stonewall Jackson - his dad is a big Civil War buff - who from the beginning kind of gave me an August Rush feel... Stoney is really into music and hears it everywhere he goes. Stoney is from Pinewood, Alabama, a small old logging town. The book focuses on Stoney as a musician and his place in Pinewood before and after the climax, and how he adapted to his life after the climax.

This book started off really good and I was really into it. And then th
Mary Mathews
Jun 29, 2014 Mary Mathews rated it it was amazing
Although I am far past the "young adult" stage, I enjoyed this book. I found myself highlighting (on my Kindle) several passages that were so descriptive and imaginative that I did not want to lose them. Keep writing Baker Lawley.
Sam
Apr 18, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it
I thought I knew early on where this story was going--a typical coming-of-age for an uber-talented, misunderstood teen whose small town can't live up to his dreams--and then The Incident happens at the reenactment, and *then* some magical realism enters the story. Stoney, Clyde, Sadie, and (most of) the adults in their life are likeable characters that the audience cares about greatly.

If you liked Mango-Shaped Space, this has some common elements: synesthesia with music rather than color.

I rece
V. Gingerich
Jun 27, 2012 V. Gingerich rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Excellent young adult voice.

Not crazy about the ghosts/hallucinations or the drawn-out scene right before the ending.

Good characterization.

Language. It's a modern teen book, should've guessed.

Free on Kindle.

*Edited to add "hallucinations" and "drawn-out scene right before", since the ghosts weren't exactly ghosts and the actual ending was fine, really.

Debbie
Jun 27, 2012 Debbie rated it it was ok
Made myself keep reading hoping it would get better.
A "Hand Funeral" REALLY???
Voices and sounds described in musical notes? REALLY???
Anja Mizner
Aug 10, 2012 Anja Mizner rated it did not like it
Strangest book ever...
Rebecca Goerz (Wheeler)
Jul 26, 2012 Rebecca Goerz (Wheeler) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, ebook
Got for free on Amazon
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Cath White
Cath White marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jo Notary
Jo Notary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Nospin
Nospin added it
Jan 24, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Kellee
Kellee marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Brianna Olesh
Brianna Olesh marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Chase Night
Chase Night rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jeanette Rucker
Jeanette Rucker marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Baker Lawley has worked as a septic system tester, a lifeguard, a school uniform salesman, an editor, a freelance writer, and currently as a Professor of Creative Writing and English. He is an award-winning writer of young adult novels, short stories, and writing guides, with stories published in prestigious literary journals like Copper Nickel, The Cream City Review, Eleven Eleven, and The Southe ...more
More about Baker Lawley...