Start by marking “The Shadowhunter's Codex” as Want to Read:
The Shadowhunter's Codex

The Shadowhunter's Codex

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  5,994 ratings  ·  666 reviews
The Clave is pleased to announce the newest edition of the Nephilim’s oldest and most famous training manual: the Shadowhunter’s Codex. Since the thirteenth century, the Codex has been the young Shadowhunter’s best friend. When you’re being swarmed by demons it can be easy to forget the finer points of obscure demon languages or the fastest way to stop an attack of Raum de...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Shadowhunter's Codex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadowhunter's Codex

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
27th out of 2,465 books — 12,489 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
25th out of 1,512 books — 10,251 voters

More lists with this book...

Vanessa
Mar 30, 2013 Vanessa marked it as no-just-no
Shelves: reviewed
Why do you even need a guide to the Shadowhunters/Nephilim? Why? They're the super special awesome descendants of angels who did the dirty with human beans.

And they fight evil like wangsty little superheroes with magical runes tattoos, and they make snarky remarks and use Deluminators Witchlights and wands steles.

And their enemies are basically anything that you'd dress up as on Halloween. Demons, vampires, werewolves, the fair folk, mermaids... (Also, is it me, or do all the demons in this univ...more
Della Dwindaputri
Feb 16, 2014 Della Dwindaputri marked it as put-down-for-a-while
I feel sorry for everyone who dislike the idea of Cassandra Clare writing another series about shadowhunters. I think the synopsis explain the book itself, THIS Shadowhunters Codex is for only only ONLY for the fandom of the mortal instruments (tmi) and the infernal devices (tid), and if you have a problem with that just don't buy this book okay? THIS book has mentioned in clockwork angel with Tessa's arrival at the institute (spoiler but not really) and Will gave her The Shadowhunters Codex to...more
*~Hanna~*
I don't care if some people think that this book is annoying or unnecessary, I'm excited. I'm going to add it to my Shadowhunter collection and I'm going to love reading it, too.

Beth
Jan 29, 2013 Beth marked it as to-read
Yes. Yes!!! YESS!!!!
Best thing ever. Can't wait. I love the Mortal Instruments. I love the Infernal Devices. I can't wait for the Dark Artifices. I can't wait for the Bane Chronicles. And now I can't wait for this!!!
description
Eunice Biblioceraptor
Jan 04, 2014 Eunice Biblioceraptor is currently reading it
YESSSS! *pumps fist in triumph* I can now have a reference for when I am bored and have a pen-knife and want to carve some runes into my skin for funsies!!!
Vi Vi
The Codex is the Codex itself, a textbook for new Shadowhunters, and also notes and art added in by Clary, commenting and updating things. (For one thing, the Codex’s official take on things is often not quite the same as what Clary knows to be true. The facts it claims about warlocks alone are outrageously incorrect!)

We've heard this before.

We've heard this shit before.

God damn it Clare. STOP. JUST STOP.

This will never be Hogwarts A History (aka the Encyclopedia that JK may hopefully someday w...more
Jon
I was scrolling through my to read list when I saw The Shadowhunters' Codex's cover. Why was I not informed that there was a cover and a release date?? September 2013!?!?! That's so far away and I have so little patience.
Parmida Sardothien
Can i just say something to all of you who are complaining out there?!
If you don't like Cassie's work then feel free not to read them! Because a lot of us are very interested in her work and she worked very hard to create this amazing world and she has the rights to create as many novels about it as she wants because she created them all herself.
Cassandra's books mean the world to me and i would love to thank her everyday for luring me into the adventure of my life with her books.
And to have a b...more
Alice Bane
Jun 15, 2012 Alice Bane marked it as to-read
I love the Shadowhunter world and all of Cassie's novels, and I expect to be a life-long fan of her novels. A book like this is absolutely brilliant, and is ment to be used as a reference guide or an addition to the Shadowhunter tales (though I will most likely devour the entire book in a day or two, as is my usual for novels by Cassie.). Can't wait to start reading this, though my current reading list already consists of Stephen King's Firestarter, Cassie's Clockwork Prince, and V. C. Andrew's...more
Meh.
(So I've changed my review. Not because I'm afraid of those butt hurt, bitchy fans because I thought my excessive use of sarcasm described this disgrace better. I'm more annoyed if anything, some of them i find quite hilarious.)

Has anyone read the summary on here? Holy shit I died laughing.
"If i can't see a warlocks mark, is there a polite way to ask him where it is?"

-Excuse me sir warlock but where is your mark?
-my wang
-pardon?
-my swishy
-huh?
-my penis, damn it

Oh god. Just look at the cover. Lo...more
Donna
I enjoyed reading this so, so much! I will be making a video review so I won't say much here, except if you're a fan of Cassandra Clare I'd definitely recommend getting this in some format.
The commentary throughout was really funny (and also included some great Jimon moments- those two just have the best banter) and it is beautifully designed and illustrated.
My favourite part of the codex came in the last two sections, the 'History of the Nephilm' (so much cool stuff about Johnathon Shadowhunter...more
Lucy
Mar 21, 2014 Lucy marked it as on-hold

I want to know everything there is to know about the shadowhunter world! +.+
Andre
This book was too stupid for too many reasons (listing them alone would hit the character limit so I will only mention a selected few examples in the spoiler sections, you can find a longer list here: http://fav.me/d6w6853). I hope I will never again read such a bad book.
The start reads like the beginning of a Pokemon game, which is good for those games but not for a book like this(view spoiler)...more
Zero vi Britannia
Why? Why? Why? We've had enough of this crap, Clare. Move on. Why don't you Write a book about mermaids or trolls or witches or zombies...demon fairy warriors from the Edo period. Anything other than these $#%@ing Nephilim! just retire comfortably and live off the completely undeserved money you earned from your piece of shit series?
Emily *Full-time Fangirl*
** DURING THE READING **
The Shadowhunter's Codex reads like a Wikipedia article on broccoli.
description
Reza
I know the book is not really necessary, but..

The cover is so awesome! I will probably buy (and read) it just for the cover.

Yes. I have a problem.

EDIT: So I gave in.. and I bought it. It's a nice read though and the illustrations are beautiful.
Indi Blacker
I can now officially become a shadowhunter! ;) can't wait to read this book!!
Liz
Jun 28, 2012 Liz marked it as to-read
OH MY GOD desprately NEED to get this!! cant wait!! :D gah!
Carolina Carriço
The Shadowhunter's Codex was so, so good!

I started the book thinking that it was for Shadowhunter's like some kind of Bible, and then I understood that the point of creating a Codex was for new Shadowhunter's, mundanes who became Shadowhunters, or for kids adopted by Shadowhunters, and I was kinda disappointed. But when I got truly sucked up into it, I was in love!

The way the Codex shows us the Shadow World is truly magical, and if I wanted to Shadowhunter's to be real first, and became one of t...more
Tiff
Aug 22, 2013 Tiff marked it as to-read
To the people complaining your not forced to look at the books why are u on this page if u "are sick of shadowhunter books" ....
Alexa
I love it! I think it's such a great idea! :)
Fenia
This is so perfect!! There's so much knowledge of the Shadowhunter world here!! I loved every page.every drawing. every sideline commentary. Jace,Clary and Simon are so funny and their comments made this soo good!!! I have the intention of re-reading it again. SOON!!! This is like the holy Bible of Cassandra's world!!! Extraordinary <333
Susie Chipman
Sep 08, 2013 Susie Chipman marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-want
Okay, why is everyone complaining and tripping out over this being released? It's an awesome idea. If you are not a fan of either of the series, do not like Cassandra Clare's writing, then do not come her just to say that you wont read it and she needs to stop writing about the Shadowhunter world. Seriously, grow up.
Bellaboorose
Dec 10, 2012 Bellaboorose marked it as to-read
Must read I can wait I love all thing Shodowhunter
Alessandra
I disegni di Cassandra Jean sono meravigliosi, capolavori come sempre. Nel testo alcuni aneddoti e curiosità sono belli perché vanno ad integrarsi bene con tutto ciò che già sappiamo del mondo di Cassie. Altri parti invece sono abbastanza banali (“che cos’è un vampiro?”) e a volte pesanti da leggere, com’era prevedibile, però dato che il Codex di per sé è fatto apposta per chi “parte da zero”, tutto sommato l’ho apprezzato molto!

Detto ciò… una nota sulle traduzioni dell’EDIZIONE ITALIANA, che c
Ava Styles ✓
This looks really cool! I wish J.K. Rowling will do this, too!
Kiersten
May 19, 2013 Kiersten marked it as to-read
I am super excited for this! It looks like the Angel Raziel rising out of the lake in Idris with the mortal cup and the mortal sword! Cool! This is what Tessa reads throughout Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince and is mentioned throughout The Mortal Instruments. I am definatly getting this baby.
Ashley
Feb 21, 2013 Ashley marked it as to-read
Is this really necessary? Don't get me wrong I love Cassandra Clare and her books, it's just it all seems too much.
Giovanna
Cosa ho imparato leggendo il Codex e perché vale la pena averlo:
1) Non avrei mai potuto diventare una shadowhunter perché già non mi ricordo metà della roba che ho letto e ho una grazia elefantiaca, ma lasciamo perdere, ehm
2) Il Codex non contempla l'ironia, ma a quella ci pensano le note dei personaggi che sono davvero spassose
3) Il Codex è poco aggiornato (vedi sopra)
4) Non devo leggere queste cose se non voglio che il mio amore ossessione per questi personaggi si accresca
5) Tutti i riferiment...more
Ellie Red
''Are you a new member of the Shadowhunter society? This is the book for you.''

Absolutely loved it, it's like the bible of Shadowhunters, very well written, like an ordinary guide (but with extraordinary stuff). Some parts I will admit were a little boring, but that's what encyclopedia's style books are supposed to feel like! But other parts interested me more, like that of demons and Jonathan's story! The best thing of all was the commentary by Jace, Clary & Simon, they were to die for!
The Infernal Devi...: The Shadowhunter's Codex 18 188 Oct 03, 2014 12:52PM
Cassandra Clare F...: The Shadowhunter's Codex 5 27 May 20, 2012 11:28AM
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • The Mortal Instruments Companion: City of Bones, Shadowhunters, and the Sight: The Unauthorized Guide
  • The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)
  • Unbreakable (The Legion, #1)
  • The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6)
  • Snakeroot (Nightshade Legacy, #1)
  • Tiger's Dream (The Tiger Saga, #5)
  • Shadows in the Silence (Angelfire, #3)
  • The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • Armageddon (The Fallen, #5)
  • Kalona's Fall (House of Night Novellas, #4)
  • The Racket
  • Toxic Heart (Mystic City, #2)
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)
  • Requiem (Books of Faerie, #3)
  • Desert Tales: A Wicked Lovely Companion Novel
  • Counting Tens (Fenestra, #4)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

"Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilo...more
More about Cassandra Clare...
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)

The Great and Tragic Love of Jonathan Shadowhunter and David the Silent, by Clary Fray, Aged 17.
SIMON IT WAS BY SIMON NOT ME

(...) Jonathan Shadowhunter: Oh, David, I would trust you with my life!
David: Oh, Jonathan, I would sacrifice my own life for your holy mission! (He almost does)
Jonathan: (weeping) David, you must return to me! I need you! I cannot do this thing without you!
David: Lo, I return!
Jonathan: Zounds! I feel a great stirring in my pantaloons!
David: What doth thy pantalo

SIMON I WILL KILL YOU
31 likes
Hey baby, guess where my warlock mark is?
Never works. Trust me. Never works.
24 likes