Start by marking “The Shadowhunter's Codex” as Want to Read:
The Shadowhunter's Codex

The Shadowhunter's Codex

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  16,979 Ratings  ·  1,467 Reviews
The Clave is pleased to announce the newest edition of the Nephilim’s oldest and most famous training manual: the Shadowhunter’s Codex. Since the thirteenth century, the Codex has been the young Shadowhunter’s best friend. When you’re being swarmed by demons it can be easy to forget the finer points of obscure demon languages or the fastest way to stop an attack of Raum de ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Shadowhunter's Codex, please sign up.

Olivia TMI yes,TID I think there are somethings that you find out about in the beginning of the book that are spoiled though
Amelia Yes, a lot! Especially directed at Simon!

Spoilers coming up if you haven't read TMI

Simon also has a lot of sarcastic jokes about clary and Jaces…more
Yes, a lot! Especially directed at Simon!

Spoilers coming up if you haven't read TMI

Simon also has a lot of sarcastic jokes about clary and Jaces relation ship and the way they talk to each other(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,505 books — 12,391 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,521 books — 10,971 voters

More lists with this book...

Hanna
Apr 04, 2013 Hanna rated it it was amazing
I don't care if some people think that this book is annoying or unnecessary, I'm excited. I'm going to add it to my Shadowhunter collection and I'm going to love reading it, too.

my book blog: https://pagehaven.tumblr.com
Della Dwindaputri
May 30, 2013 Della Dwindaputri marked it as put-down-for-a-while
I feel sorry for everyone who dislike the idea of Cassandra Clare writing another series about shadowhunters. I think the synopsis explain the book itself, THIS Shadowhunters Codex is for only only ONLY for the fandom of the mortal instruments (tmi) and the infernal devices (tid), and if you have a problem with that just don't buy this book okay? THIS book has mentioned in clockwork angel with Tessa's arrival at the institute (spoiler but not really) and Will gave her The Shadowhunters Codex to ...more
V
Apr 08, 2012 V marked it as no-just-no
Shelves: reviewed
Why do you even need a guide to the Shadowhunters/Nephilim? Why? They're the super special awesome descendants of angels who did the dirty with human beans.

And they fight evil like wangsty little superheroes with magical runes tattoos, and they make snarky remarks and use Deluminators Witchlights and wands steles.

And their enemies are basically anything that you'd dress up as on Halloween. Demons, vampires, werewolves, the fair folk, mermaids... (Also, is it me, or do all the demons in this univ
Beth
Jan 29, 2013 Beth marked it as to-read
Yes. Yes!!! YESS!!!!
Best thing ever. Can't wait. I love the Mortal Instruments. I love the Infernal Devices. I can't wait for the Dark Artifices. I can't wait for the Bane Chronicles. And now I can't wait for this!!!
description
Eunice
May 15, 2012 Eunice is currently reading it
YESSSS! *pumps fist in triumph* I can now have a reference for when I am bored and have a pen-knife and want to carve some runes into my skin for funsies!!!
Parmida Aelin Sardothien
Oct 17, 2013 Parmida Aelin Sardothien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Can i just say something to all of you who are complaining out there?!
If you don't like Cassie's work then feel free not to read them! Because a lot of us are very interested in her work and she worked very hard to create this amazing world and she has the rights to create as many novels about it as she wants because she created them all herself.
Cassandra's books mean the world to me and i would love to thank her everyday for luring me into the adventure of my life with her books.
And to have a b
Vi Vi
The Codex is the Codex itself, a textbook for new Shadowhunters, and also notes and art added in by Clary, commenting and updating things. (For one thing, the Codex’s official take on things is often not quite the same as what Clary knows to be true. The facts it claims about warlocks alone are outrageously incorrect!)

We've heard this before.

We've heard this shit before.

God damn it Clare. STOP. JUST STOP.

This will never be Hogwarts A History (aka the Encyclopedia that JK may hopefully someday w
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
This was oh lord so so good.
It was funny and interesting and informative as hell. Cassandra Jean is such an amazing artist and Joshua and the rest of them!
Clary, Jace, Magnus and Simon's notes were hilarious. Ah, what a delight.
Jon
Apr 01, 2012 Jon rated it liked it
I was scrolling through my to read list when I saw The Shadowhunters' Codex's cover. Why was I not informed that there was a cover and a release date?? September 2013!?!?! That's so far away and I have so little patience.
Juliana Zapata
Aug 22, 2014 Juliana Zapata rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Es un libro hermoso, lleno de imágenes increíbles y con el que aprendes todo acerca del mundo de los cazadores de sombras.

Las anotaciones de Clary, Jace y Simon me encantaron y me hicieron reír muchísimo.

Estoy lista para ascender.
Chloe
Feb 28, 2017 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-kept
Wow! This book really shows what a complex and layered world Clare has created. The history is so rich, and this book answers the questions I still had and even approaches things that were questionable and almost-plot holes with humour and information. The whole thing has an edge of tongue in cheek humour and sarcasm, and it's an absolutely delightful read. I loved the comments by the characters, especially Simon's, and the art is absolutely lovely. It's a great companion and I highly recommend ...more
Alice Bane
Jun 15, 2012 Alice Bane marked it as to-read
I love the Shadowhunter world and all of Cassie's novels, and I expect to be a life-long fan of her novels. A book like this is absolutely brilliant, and is ment to be used as a reference guide or an addition to the Shadowhunter tales (though I will most likely devour the entire book in a day or two, as is my usual for novels by Cassie.). Can't wait to start reading this, though my current reading list already consists of Stephen King's Firestarter, Cassie's Clockwork Prince, and V. C. Andrew's ...more
Emily
Jan 13, 2013 Emily added it
** DURING THE READING **
The Shadowhunter's Codex reads like a Wikipedia article on broccoli.
description
Lucy Herondale
May 20, 2012 Lucy Herondale marked it as on-hold

I want to know everything there is to know about the shadowhunter world! +.+
Andre
Nov 02, 2013 Andre rated it did not like it
This book was too stupid for too many reasons (listing them alone would hit the character limit so I will only mention a selected few examples in the spoiler sections, you can find a longer list here: http://fav.me/d6w6853). I hope I will never again read such a bad book.
The start reads like the beginning of a Pokemon game, which is good for those games but not for a book like this(view spoiler)
_racheljane_
Mar 11, 2017 _racheljane_ rated it really liked it
Okay, I was really excited for his book when I bought it just because I love the shadowhunter world that Cassandra Clare created. It was a very quick book to get through and it doesn't take up all that much brain space. I am excited just to flip through it now and then and I would definitely recommend for diehard fans.
Donna
Oct 25, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this so, so much! I will be making a video review so I won't say much here, except if you're a fan of Cassandra Clare I'd definitely recommend getting this in some format.
The commentary throughout was really funny (and also included some great Jimon moments- those two just have the best banter) and it is beautifully designed and illustrated.
My favourite part of the codex came in the last two sections, the 'History of the Nephilm' (so much cool stuff about Johnathon Shadowhunter
Reza
Jan 21, 2013 Reza rated it liked it
I know the book is not really necessary, but..

The cover is so awesome! I will probably buy (and read) it just for the cover.

Yes. I have a problem.

EDIT: So I gave in.. and I bought it. It's a nice read though and the illustrations are beautiful.
Elena
Oct 22, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing
I'm a die hard Shadowhunter fan, so duuh of course I loved this! :D
Zero vi Britannia
Why? Why? Why? We've had enough of this crap, Clare. Move on. Why don't you Write a book about mermaids or trolls or witches or zombies...demon fairy warriors from the Edo period. Anything other than these $#%@ing Nephilim! just retire comfortably and live off the completely undeserved money you earned from your piece of shit series?
Tiff
Aug 22, 2013 Tiff marked it as to-read
To the people complaining your not forced to look at the books why are u on this page if u "are sick of shadowhunter books" ....
Carolina Carriço
Feb 12, 2013 Carolina Carriço rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, shadowhunters
The Shadowhunter's Codex was so, so good!

I started the book thinking that it was for Shadowhunter's like some kind of Bible, and then I understood that the point of creating a Codex was for new Shadowhunter's, mundanes who became Shadowhunters, or for kids adopted by Shadowhunters, and I was kinda disappointed. But when I got truly sucked up into it, I was in love!

The way the Codex shows us the Shadow World is truly magical, and if I wanted to Shadowhunter's to be real first, and became one of t
Alexa
Mar 25, 2013 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it! I think it's such a great idea! :)
Liz
Jun 28, 2012 Liz marked it as to-read
OH MY GOD desprately NEED to get this!! cant wait!! :D gah!
Angigames
Manuale che un appassionato della Saga Shadowhunters non può non leggere, mi è stato molto utile per chiarire alcune cose. Personalmente però, mi aspettavo qualcosa di diverso, di più professionale.
Il volume alterna parti veramente interessanti con altre soporifere…
Personalmente ho trovato i commenti di Simon, Clary e Jace, carini ma infantili…
Bellissimi i disegni e bellissima la prima parte.
Potrò mai essere una Shadowhuter nella prossima vita? Ovviamente no.
Mi sono persa elencando le armi, mi
Steffi
Aug 01, 2015 Steffi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
The Shadowhunter's Codex explains everything, EVERYTHING about the Shadow World. In detail. Any questions I had left about the Shadow World was answered.

In fact, I did enjoy the Codex. As I mentioned before, it explains really everything you need to know about the Shadow World. Besides, there are notes made by Clary, Jace and Simon that are quiet funny.
What makes this book really interesting and beautiful are the illustrations. The Codex is full of ilustrations of demons, swords, steeles, charac
Marcela M.
Jan 20, 2015 Marcela M. rated it it was amazing
Ok. ¿Qué les puedo decir de este libro?... Ahh, ya sé...
Pues que es absolutamente genial, y que le va a encantar a cualquier fan de CdS. No podía dejar de fangirlear con este libro, y aun lo sigo haciendo.

Las anotaciones de Jace, Simon y Clary son lo mejor, y me reí a más no poder con sus ocurrencias.

¡Oficialmente soy una Cazadora de Sombras! :D

#AmoCazadoresDeSombras
Susie Chipman
Sep 08, 2013 Susie Chipman marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-want
Okay, why is everyone complaining and tripping out over this being released? It's an awesome idea. If you are not a fan of either of the series, do not like Cassandra Clare's writing, then do not come her just to say that you wont read it and she needs to stop writing about the Shadowhunter world. Seriously, grow up.
Dee☾
Sep 25, 2014 Dee☾ rated it really liked it
Very dull at times since this is a manual, but I did enjoy all the written in comments by Jace, Clary, and Simon. Also, all the illustrations were beautiful ❤
This will be nice to refer back to though.
Roxanne
Mar 07, 2017 Roxanne added it
Shelves: read-2017
I don't know what to rate this so i'm not, it was on my online library so you know i'll read anything for free let's get real here (by the way totally available to review any free shit, plug done). This is basically a reference book of all the characters (not really all of them though.) Because this is a pretty huge series i guess this could be useful to some who need a refresher course of who all the characters are, there's so many relations in the shadowhunters series that it can get super con ...more
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • The Enemy of Death (Magisterium,  #5)
  • The Mortal Instruments Companion: City of Bones, Shadowhunters, and the Sight: The Unauthorized Guide
  • Snakeroot (Nightshade Legacy #1; Nightshade World #7)
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)
  • Night World: Ash and Mary-Lynnette: Those Who Favor Fire (Night World, Extras)
  • Dangerous Dream (Dangerous Creatures, #0.5)
  • Age of the Fifth (Carrier, #3)
  • The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)
  • Bridge (Shade, #2.5)
  • Navigating the Shadow World: The Unofficial Guide to Cassandra Clare's the Mortal Instruments
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Two Lines
  • Die for Her (Revenants, #2.5)
  • Shadow Kiss: A Graphic Novel (Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Vampires of Manhattan (The New Blue Bloods Coven, #1)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Great and Tragic Love of Jonathan Shadowhunter and David the Silent, by Clary Fray, Aged 17.
SIMON IT WAS BY SIMON NOT ME

(...) Jonathan Shadowhunter: Oh, David, I would trust you with my life!
David: Oh, Jonathan, I would sacrifice my own life for your holy mission! (He almost does)
Jonathan: (weeping) David, you must return to me! I need you! I cannot do this thing without you!
David: Lo, I return!
Jonathan: Zounds! I feel a great stirring in my pantaloons!
David: What doth thy pantalo

SIMON I WILL KILL YOU
52 likes
NYC Institute has one. I'll show you sometime if you want.
It's a date.
It is maybe the least romantic spot in the Institute, by the way.
You'll make up for that, I'm sure.
(Jeez, get a locked room on unsanctified ground, you two.)”
40 likes