Start by marking “Stupid Guy Goes To India” as Want to Read:
Stupid Guy Goes To India

Stupid Guy Goes To India

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Literary Nonfiction. Autobiography. Asian & Asian American Studies. Graphic Novel. Translated from the Japanese by Kumar Sivasubramanian. In 2004, having never before left Japan, 56-year-old manga author Yukichi Yamamatsu travelled to India, armed with little money, less English, no sigmoid colon, and absolutely no idea of what to expect. He did, however, bring with hi ...more
Published 2011 by Blaft Publications

To ask other readers questions about Stupid Guy Goes To India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stupid Guy Goes To India

The Obliterary Journal by Rakesh KhannaZero Degree by Charu NiveditaEating Sugar, Telling Lies by Kuzhali ManickavelStupid Guy Goes To India by Yukichi YamamatsuThe Blaft Anthology of Tamil Pulp Fiction, Vol. I by Rakesh Khanna
Blaft
4th out of 18 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Gita Madhu
May 07, 2015 Gita Madhu rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga fans and fans of graphic novels
Shelves: my-comics
Stupid Guy Goes To India by Yukichi Yamamatsu is my first manga. While my desire to read manga grew in direct proportion to my increasing engagement with Japanese doramas and films, most of which are based on manga, I did not know where to begin. By this time, I had even forgotten my excitement at seeing this book at a Comic Con in Delhi, some years back.
So, I was justifiably thrilled to see it at my library. With my new strategy for catching up on reading, including a self-imposed challenge, I finished this graphic account yesterday.
It
Avni shah
56 year old manga author comes to India for the first time with 'little money, less English, no Sigmoid Colon and absolutely no idea of what to expect' and he writes about the experience. Sounds like the perfect recipe for a food laugh right? It gets better!! The book is written entirely in manga form...like actual 'read from the flip-side' manga book! The artwork in it is awesome too! I was so excited when this book arrived in the mail. It does take a few pages to get used to reading backwards. ...more
Mahinn
Stupid Man is one of the bravest, if not Most persistent people on the planet. I enjoyed the sheer optimism and never say die attitude that Yukichi Yamamatsu brims with. His portrayal of New Delhi and its scams and well weathered charms make you come face to face with India's true colours. Often times embarrassing, shameful, and downright puzzling, this is the India he encounters. Full marks for coming, trying, and staying.
Jayan Parameswaran
If you are an non-Indian and have experienced India, you are likely to rate this book high. Coming to India for job, Yamamatsu a Manga artist, lands up In Delhi. The next 200 pages are his attempt to find foot hold in India trying to publish Manga Books here in India. His attempt to find accommodation, translators, printing , trying to sell the book.

It's a casual read. Funny & hilarious if you are a non-Indian and a bit underwhelming if you are an Indian. It has all the ingredients you expec
Indian
Saw this on a self in Himalaya bookstores at Hyderabad & immediately decided to buy it from www.indiaplaza.com, as they give upto 35% discount with free shipping.
I have been a Manga fan since last 4-5 years. Jungle Book,Naruto, Doraemon, Shinchan & AstroBoy had universal appeal & installed a love for Japanese culture for me.
This book details the experiences of a Japanese Manga artist's 2004 visit to Delhi. He had observed Delhi & its lifestyle very minutely with a sense of humou
Ramakant
Chandrar
This was my intro to Manga 101. I picked it up because I was looking for something different to read and this was a refreshing change.
It is about the sheer optimism and determination of the author to publish and sell manga comics in India. And it is about the hilarious trials and tribulations of trying to survive in India. Hot spicy food, haggling with autowallas and street shops vendors..it's all there. It gives an insight into a foreigner s perspective of India.
Prajyoth
This was a terribly written but the illustration is good.First of all this an insult to manga.This book seems to be written in Japanese,English and Hindi,and becomes extremely confusing when he switches between the languages.Half of the book is filled with X and O's(The author uses it when he doesn't understand what someone says).Lastly,this book shows you a real image of India,and I was pretty satisfied with the author's description of Indians,but when he tells us about his constipation(And yes ...more
Poonam
Truth be told that I appreciated the courage of author, an elderly, Japanese manga artist who comes with a dream of publishing manga in hindi/English in India and sell. To find a potupourri of Indians, often dishonest, between him and his dream. He sticks to his guns, and does manage to translate and publish few managas in Hindi, a language he himself doesn't understand.

What I couldn't understand was why he was selling books in Purani Dilli, is it the fate of all self-published books. Perhaps h
Anitha
One of the most hilarious autobiographies ever! Yukichi a mastermind of lil inventions but a total disaster in surviving the Indian streets simply had me laughing through out. A must read to all Indians so that we can learn to be little more helpful to the foreigners and foreign visitors please learn English, atleast.
Swamy Atul
This was the first time I read manga. That may be only thing I'd remember about this rather forgettable book.
Which brings me to the question that interests me. If a person from country A writes a book based on his experiences in country B, then should the book be sold in country A or country B? I think it's pointless to sell it in country B because its people are already aware of their stereotypes and what foreigners like or dislike about them. The only time country B may notice the book is when
Chemcee Cherian
The author's efforts to sell manga comics in India depicted in Manga form. If you can go with the flow the writer has set you might enjoy. The illustrations are pretty good and you might enjoy the fun as well as feel sorry for the author.
Vikas Mehra
Interesting account, narrated graphically, of the time spent in Delhi by Japanese Manga artist Yukichi Yamamatsu. That said, it is most likely going to appeal only to readers of Indian origin.
Shri
At one point,I was left wondering if I was reading an English or Hindi or Japanese book! I like comics but have no exposure to Manga. Not sure if that was one of the reasons why I did not particularly enjoy the book! There is no way I can contest or justify the experiences of Yukichi as I deem such bitter hospitality is very much possible in India. But I think somewhere in my head I have equated comics with feel good experience and this book does not provide that. Overall - it was a confusing ex ...more
Krishnan Srinivasarengan
This books is a refreshing change to the usual kind of books we read, mainly from the illustration perspective.
Raghav Modi
A Manga, a travelogue, but most importantly a celebration of the human spirit. It's honest to the core, a mirror that might make some uneasy, but read it and enjoy the madness.

Detailed review - http://travelingticker.blogspot.in/20...
cEro
While I was enjoying this comic book, I kept asking question like 'did Indian people can accept all of these negativity?'
The author picturing India as a worst country to visit (in a point of view as a Japanese) which is not really good for the Indian.
But nevertheless, even the book fulls with negativity towards India, but it is not any less true.

I'll be searching the next installment; Stupid Guy Goes BACK to India, just for the fun.
Rigzin
I picked up the book at Comic Con in Delhi where the author was present and was reading out loud Hindi sentences making no sense to me. Just as the tile suggests, Yukichi goes to India, Delhi specifically. The details about the places he visits and the people he lives and works with are so impressive that you feel for his guy and instantly forgive him for being a nutter. His drawings are ace and reminded me of Yoshishiro Tatsumi. A good read nevertheless.
Naliniprasad
My first experience with a manga comic. It is a honest portrayal of the author's perception of India in his own chosen art form. His encounters with Indians in Delhi is not very pleasing.Creates a highly disturbing picture of a foreigner's struggle in the Capital city.Enjoyed the candor in 80% of the book.Took nearly a year to finish it.Surprisingly long time for a graphic novel.
Sreekanth JP
an unconventional comic novel. Being an Indian, i didn like the way things were potrayed in the book, I did really feel the guy was stupid as the title goes by ..... should read it at one go . Not worth more than that
Vinesh Koka
Inconsistent artwork with often confusing expressions, boring-as-dead narrative, and the utter lack of humour disappointed me very much. The premise and setting of the book promised so much, and was a total letdown.
Niranjan Sathyamurthy
Praanesh
Pretty amazing! Well, Indians travelling to parts of India where they dont understand the local language will share the author's feelings for sure! :D
Debamitra Mukherjee
Fun light read. Simplistic narration of a foreigner's perspective of india with loads of humor mixed with reality.I
Sam it
wow...............its funny.............different................and unusual.......read it in one go......enjoyed
Pallavi
Well a bit juicy, a bit ludacris, a bit true and a bit rash.
Neeti
Poor thing, but it really inspiring.
Nethra Ram
Boring and annoying.
Sowmya
Unputdownable! :-)
Radha
1 star for effort.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Secrets of the Lost Symbol: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code Sequel
  • Death in Venice and Other Stories
  • 41 Stories
  • Fever
  • Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company
  • The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation
  • Dare to Dream and Work to Win
  • Inside Coca-Cola: A CEO's Life Story of Building the World's Most Popular Brand
  • Men of Steel: India's Business leaders in candid conversation
  • The Complete Cosmicomics (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • Jerusalem Delivered
  • Direct from Dell
  • Barn Owl's Wondrous Capers
  • The Basic Kafka
  • La Guérison des Dalton (Lucky Luke)
  • Building Social Business: The New Kind of Capitalism That Serves Humanity's Most Pressing Needs
  • Leadership Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari