Start by marking “Stupid Guy Goes To India” as Want to Read:
Stupid Guy Goes To India

Stupid Guy Goes To India

Literary Nonfiction. Autobiography. Asian & Asian American Studies. Graphic Novel. Translated from the Japanese by Kumar Sivasubramanian. In 2004, having never before left Japan, 56-year-old manga author Yukichi Yamamatsu travelled to India, armed with little money, less English, no sigmoid colon, and absolutely no idea of what to expect. He did, however, bring with hi ...more
Published 2011 by Blaft Publications

To ask other readers questions about Stupid Guy Goes To India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stupid Guy Goes To India

The Obliterary Journal by Rakesh KhannaStupid Guy Goes To India by Yukichi YamamatsuZero Degree by Charu NiveditaEating Sugar, Telling Lies by Kuzhali ManickavelThe Blaft Anthology of Tamil Pulp Fiction, Vol. I by Rakesh Khanna
Blaft
2nd out of 18 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Gita Madhu
Oct 14, 2015 Gita Madhu rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga fans and fans of graphic novels
Shelves: my-comics
Stupid Guy Goes To India by Yukichi Yamamatsu is my first manga. While my desire to read manga grew in direct proportion to my increasing engagement with Japanese doramas and films, most of which are based on manga, I did not know where to begin. By this time, I had even forgotten my excitement at seeing this book at a Comic Con in Delhi, some years back.
So, I was justifiably thrilled to see it at my library. With my new strategy for catching up on reading, including a self-imposed challenge, I finished this graphic account yesterday.
It
Avni shah
Feb 12, 2015 Avni shah rated it liked it
56 year old manga author comes to India for the first time with 'little money, less English, no Sigmoid Colon and absolutely no idea of what to expect' and he writes about the experience. Sounds like the perfect recipe for a food laugh right? It gets better!! The book is written entirely in manga form...like actual 'read from the flip-side' manga book! The artwork in it is awesome too! I was so excited when this book arrived in the mail. It does take a few pages to get used to reading backwards. ...more
Jayan Parameswaran
Sep 21, 2012 Jayan Parameswaran rated it it was ok
If you are an non-Indian and have experienced India, you are likely to rate this book high. Coming to India for job, Yamamatsu a Manga artist, lands up In Delhi. The next 200 pages are his attempt to find foot hold in India trying to publish Manga Books here in India. His attempt to find accommodation, translators, printing , trying to sell the book.

It's a casual read. Funny & hilarious if you are a non-Indian and a bit underwhelming if you are an Indian. It has all the ingredients you expec
Mahinn
Jul 06, 2014 Mahinn rated it really liked it
Stupid Man is one of the bravest, if not Most persistent people on the planet. I enjoyed the sheer optimism and never say die attitude that Yukichi Yamamatsu brims with. His portrayal of New Delhi and its scams and well weathered charms make you come face to face with India's true colours. Often times embarrassing, shameful, and downright puzzling, this is the India he encounters. Full marks for coming, trying, and staying.
Sakshi Shrivastava
Mar 31, 2016 Sakshi Shrivastava rated it really liked it
Shelves: hilarious
This is the first Manga I read, I'm impressed! Yukichi is humorous and his account of India is oh-so-real! I can totally imagine all these incidents happening to foreigners in India.
Although, one has to keep in mind that this was written quiet some time back.

The behavior and attitudes of Indians are still the same (I'm an India, I verify this) but India has become more organized and cleaner.
I'm sure if he visits now, he wouldn't feel so stupid (hopefully).

I'd recommend this one.; do it read it
P
Mar 16, 2016 P rated it really liked it
Enjoyable precisely because most of Yamamatsu's encounters with Indians are beyond the usual elite circuit. His chutzpah is not stupid at all--one wishes for more encounters like these between Japanese and Indians, struggling to understand each other away from the mediating force exerted by the West. Living in Delhi, I found reading about his daily struggles to rent an apartment, move around the city, find places to eat and relieve himself kind of cathartic. Plus, his portraits of North Indian m ...more
Shreela Sen
Sep 29, 2016 Shreela Sen rated it it was amazing
My First Manga. True, it is difficult to keep reading right to left ... & habit often kicks in - & I have read the wrong panels :D
I do not mind the stark portrayal of India - I am an Indian who can take the truth, & I like calling a spade a spade. & that's what this book does.
But I find it a bit ... bland? literal? clinical?I think an autobiographical should be bit more ... dramatic. I do not like the translation. The graphics are graphic enough, & very expressive. But the te
Vicky
Sep 12, 2015 Vicky rated it it was ok
Like other reviewers say, the art is pretty good. Unfortunately this is only for the non Indian. Not for someone who lives here.

A man who comes to Delhi with no knowledge of English or Hindi and wants everything to go his way. It's hard to say what was more annoying, the fact that he assumed things would work here just like it works in Japan or that people here would magically learn Japanese just because he wants to communicate.

It's hilarious to watch him have a difficult time but to be perfec
Indian
May 22, 2012 Indian rated it liked it
Saw this on a self in Himalaya bookstores at Hyderabad & immediately decided to buy it from www.indiaplaza.com, as they give upto 35% discount with free shipping.
I have been a Manga fan since last 4-5 years. Jungle Book,Naruto, Doraemon, Shinchan & AstroBoy had universal appeal & installed a love for Japanese culture for me.
This book details the experiences of a Japanese Manga artist's 2004 visit to Delhi. He had observed Delhi & its lifestyle very minutely with a sense of humou
Ramakant
Jul 18, 2012 Ramakant rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Chandrar
Oct 08, 2014 Chandrar rated it really liked it
This was my intro to Manga 101. I picked it up because I was looking for something different to read and this was a refreshing change.
It is about the sheer optimism and determination of the author to publish and sell manga comics in India. And it is about the hilarious trials and tribulations of trying to survive in India. Hot spicy food, haggling with autowallas and street shops vendors..it's all there. It gives an insight into a foreigner s perspective of India.
Prajyoth
Jan 04, 2014 Prajyoth rated it it was ok
This was a terribly written but the illustration is good.First of all this an insult to manga.This book seems to be written in Japanese,English and Hindi,and becomes extremely confusing when he switches between the languages.Half of the book is filled with X and O's(The author uses it when he doesn't understand what someone says).Lastly,this book shows you a real image of India,and I was pretty satisfied with the author's description of Indians,but when he tells us about his constipation(And yes ...more
Poonam
Oct 04, 2013 Poonam rated it liked it
Truth be told that I appreciated the courage of author, an elderly, Japanese manga artist who comes with a dream of publishing manga in hindi/English in India and sell. To find a potupourri of Indians, often dishonest, between him and his dream. He sticks to his guns, and does manage to translate and publish few managas in Hindi, a language he himself doesn't understand.

What I couldn't understand was why he was selling books in Purani Dilli, is it the fate of all self-published books. Perhaps h
Anitha
Feb 14, 2014 Anitha rated it it was amazing
One of the most hilarious autobiographies ever! Yukichi a mastermind of lil inventions but a total disaster in surviving the Indian streets simply had me laughing through out. A must read to all Indians so that we can learn to be little more helpful to the foreigners and foreign visitors please learn English, atleast.
Swamy Atul
Aug 19, 2012 Swamy Atul rated it did not like it
This was the first time I read manga. That may be only thing I'd remember about this rather forgettable book.
Which brings me to the question that interests me. If a person from country A writes a book based on his experiences in country B, then should the book be sold in country A or country B? I think it's pointless to sell it in country B because its people are already aware of their stereotypes and what foreigners like or dislike about them. The only time country B may notice the book is when
Chemcee Cherian
Apr 10, 2014 Chemcee Cherian rated it liked it
The author's efforts to sell manga comics in India depicted in Manga form. If you can go with the flow the writer has set you might enjoy. The illustrations are pretty good and you might enjoy the fun as well as feel sorry for the author.
Vikas Mehra
Mar 01, 2014 Vikas Mehra rated it liked it
Interesting account, narrated graphically, of the time spent in Delhi by Japanese Manga artist Yukichi Yamamatsu. That said, it is most likely going to appeal only to readers of Indian origin.
Vishvesh
Jun 17, 2016 Vishvesh rated it really liked it
Being from the entertainment industry and having published a few comics, I can totally relate to this. The struggle is real, especially if you come to India unprepared!
Shri
Sep 18, 2012 Shri rated it it was ok
At one point,I was left wondering if I was reading an English or Hindi or Japanese book! I like comics but have no exposure to Manga. Not sure if that was one of the reasons why I did not particularly enjoy the book! There is no way I can contest or justify the experiences of Yukichi as I deem such bitter hospitality is very much possible in India. But I think somewhere in my head I have equated comics with feel good experience and this book does not provide that. Overall - it was a confusing ex ...more
Krishnan Srinivasarengan
This books is a refreshing change to the usual kind of books we read, mainly from the illustration perspective.
Raghav Modi
Feb 22, 2014 Raghav Modi rated it liked it
A Manga, a travelogue, but most importantly a celebration of the human spirit. It's honest to the core, a mirror that might make some uneasy, but read it and enjoy the madness.

Detailed review - http://travelingticker.blogspot.in/20...
cEro
Oct 22, 2014 cEro rated it really liked it
While I was enjoying this comic book, I kept asking question like 'did Indian people can accept all of these negativity?'
The author picturing India as a worst country to visit (in a point of view as a Japanese) which is not really good for the Indian.
But nevertheless, even the book fulls with negativity towards India, but it is not any less true.

I'll be searching the next installment; Stupid Guy Goes BACK to India, just for the fun.
Rigzin
Apr 21, 2012 Rigzin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I picked up the book at Comic Con in Delhi where the author was present and was reading out loud Hindi sentences making no sense to me. Just as the tile suggests, Yukichi goes to India, Delhi specifically. The details about the places he visits and the people he lives and works with are so impressive that you feel for his guy and instantly forgive him for being a nutter. His drawings are ace and reminded me of Yoshishiro Tatsumi. A good read nevertheless.
Naliniprasad
Dec 03, 2013 Naliniprasad rated it liked it
My first experience with a manga comic. It is a honest portrayal of the author's perception of India in his own chosen art form. His encounters with Indians in Delhi is not very pleasing.Creates a highly disturbing picture of a foreigner's struggle in the Capital city.Enjoyed the candor in 80% of the book.Took nearly a year to finish it.Surprisingly long time for a graphic novel.
Sreekanth JP
Apr 26, 2012 Sreekanth JP rated it it was ok
an unconventional comic novel. Being an Indian, i didn like the way things were potrayed in the book, I did really feel the guy was stupid as the title goes by ..... should read it at one go . Not worth more than that
Vinesh Koka
Nov 01, 2012 Vinesh Koka rated it did not like it
Inconsistent artwork with often confusing expressions, boring-as-dead narrative, and the utter lack of humour disappointed me very much. The premise and setting of the book promised so much, and was a total letdown.
Niranjan Sathyamurthy
Praanesh
Mar 26, 2013 Praanesh rated it it was amazing
Pretty amazing! Well, Indians travelling to parts of India where they dont understand the local language will share the author's feelings for sure! :D
Debamitra Mukherjee
May 14, 2012 Debamitra Mukherjee rated it liked it
Fun light read. Simplistic narration of a foreigner's perspective of india with loads of humor mixed with reality.I
Sam it
Apr 18, 2012 Sam it rated it really liked it
wow...............its funny.............different................and unusual.......read it in one go......enjoyed
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Secrets of the Lost Symbol: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code Sequel
  • 41 Stories
  • Bhimayana
  • La Guérison des Dalton (Lucky Luke)
  • The Interrogation
  • The Wal-Mart Way: The Inside Story of the Success of the World's Largest Company
  • Smurf Kecil (De Smurfjes, Kisah Smurf)
  • Jerusalem Delivered
  • Inside Coca-Cola: A CEO's Life Story of Building the World's Most Popular Brand
  • Shift: Inside Nissan's Historic Revival
  • Corridor: A Graphic Novel
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • The Other Side
  • Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company
  • Dare to Dream and Work to Win: Understanding Dollars and Sense of Success in Network Marketing
  • The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation