Start by marking “Living in a Nutshell: Posh and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces” as Want to Read:
Living in a Nutshell: Posh and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces

Living in a Nutshell: Posh and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A fireplace on wheels? A chandelier lit by Xerox? A shrink-wrapped designer closet?

These are just a few of the more than 100 stylish and innovative projects in Janet Lee’s Living in a Nutshell: a one-of-a-kind DIY decorating guide with fresh ideas to fool the eye into seeing—and believing—that even the most cramped little lair can hold more space and glamor than just the
Published March 27th 2012 by Harper Design

To ask other readers questions about Living in a Nutshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living in a Nutshell

Stacia
Sep 25, 2012 Stacia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants some fun inspiration for changing up his/her decor
Shelves: 2012
I thought this was a really fun decorating book w/ some neat, workable ideas. (A few seemed pretty hard &/or needing out-sourcing, though.) This is not traditional style decorating & is a more modern, hip, fun Euro style for small spaces.

I don't live in a small space, but I think most of these ideas are great ones for tight living quarters. I like that the author addresses making minimal nail holes, keeping things portable, etc... (aimed for those who tend to rent/lease apartments). I a
Sara
Well-put together, although a lot of these things were just "design ideas", not "small space design ideas". I mean, if I have a 1-bdroom apartment, I'm not wasting good space using a dress dummy with a paper dress decoupaged to it as a decoration (now if she sewed as a hobby, and the paper dress could come off when needed, that'd be different, but it wasn't the case). In the kids' section, there's a dollhouse-shaped bookshelf that had, like, six books on it, all with their covers facing forward. ...more
Cheryl
Lots of good tips for small living with creative choices.
Carrie
Read this book looking for decorating ideas for our downsized home. Only found a few ideas - most of the ideas and projects were too cluttered for my style these days.
Deirdre
much of it was too twee for my taste.
Sonia
Some good ideas for decorating in a small space. Great for modern living.
Sherry
A large portion of decorating idea books for many, fall in the “not applicable for my living space” category for readers, not so with this book. Creative ideas for small rooms and nooks run throughout the entire volume, from pure urbanite settings to genuine rustic backgrounds. Most of the creations are well within sensible dollar range as well. Looking for ideas to spruce up your small space? Here is a title that is filled with ideas.
Ryan Burdick
I have to say I didn't really read it as much as flip through it.

The pros: organized by project by time.
the cons: no gripping thing that ties it all together.

If browsing magazine style, this book is for you. If you're looking to actually read and learn something about small space living, try Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small Spaces or The First Apartment Book.
Alyssa
While its a cute book with a cute idea it's not my favorite when it comes to "living in small spaces." I flipped through in under and hour and only found a couple projects that would be worth pursuing if I had the right place for it.

It was a little too quirky/eccentric & vintage for me. But if you're into that style you should definitely flip through this book.
Shh I'm reading!
I was borderline ok/hate it with this one. On one hand, the design aspect was colorful and there were some projects I could see myself doing. On the other it seemed like the projects were half-baked and there was no information about actually living in a small space. Decorating is one thing, but living another entirely and that part was missing for me.
The ideas in this book are clever and crafty, and yet the amount of awe I have for the author/designer is indirectly proportional to the level of confidence I have in myself in attempting the same exact projects. Alas, if only the simple act of reading about something could conjure it up-- fully functional and with no assembly required. (=
Kim
Aug 28, 2012 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I was hoping for more out of this book. Photography was lovely, tips were nice but tended to lack detail. It would have been nice to have a shot of the entire apartment at the beginning of the book instead of piece by piece throughout. Would be a nice coffee table book (though I checked it out from the library).
Shannon
If you think the best way to address a small space is to pack it to the gills with bright, loud colors and objects, then this book is for you. It did have a few clever ideas for non-permanent modifications, but most of them still seemed too fussy or impractical for a rental.
Mycala
This is a beautiful book. The decorating is gorgeous and there are a lot of great projects in here that range from a weekend to an hour. Will definitely have this handy when I get my condo in the sky!
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book was visually great however it was too practical for my liking. I like my interior decorating books to be fantasy based and not something that I have to make myself :) Fabulous for crafsters!

I loved the clever ideas in this book. My daughter did too. It has a wide appeal for those us us living in small spaces. I am thinking about how to implement a few of the ideas!
Lindsay
A lot of these projects were uber-feminine and very label-conscious, but there were still some great tips to steal. Using fabric on laminate cupboards? Genius! Now how to keep them clean...
Rebecca
Lots of fun, small-space ideas in here. I didn't know mirror glass paint existed to make regular glass into a mirror!
Megan
Geared toward a very specific taste - high fashion eclectic. Just didn't help me make the most of my space.
Cassie
This has the COOLEST ideas. I can't wait to wallpaper my closets and design a sign for my cat food.
Sophie
Interesting! I like reading this type of book because it gives me ideas for my room.
Trish
This is a great book. The projects don't look like cheap home made crafts gone wrong.
Teresa Morrow
This book had some great decorating tips for different parts of the house.
Liisa
Fun craft projects, but I wish it was a bit longer.
Kat
Some cute ideas but I was hoping for more...
Melissa
Clever ideas that I will be too lazy to execute.
LaShonda
great ideas for small spaces.
Shawn Marie Hardy
So far so good! I think there are some really cute ideas here, and having just moved from a 1400 sq. ft. house into a 900 sq. ft. apartment, I am ready to execute some of them. The presentation of this book is very nice, with excellent photography that jumps off the page. Most of these ideas are relatively inexpensive, and while there might not be step-by-step instructions on how to do everything, those who have a creative side can figure it out. I would also suggest joining Ms. Lee on Facebook, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Furniture Makeovers: Simple Techniques for Transforming Furniture with Paint, Stains, Paper, Stencils, and More
  • Not So Big Remodeling: A Better House for the Way You Really Live
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • Modern Vintage Style
  • Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic: Colors
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • Downtown Chic: Designing Your Dream Home: From Wreck to Ravishing
  • Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of A Misspent Life
  • How to Hang a Picture: And Other Essential Lessons for the Stylish Home
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
  • New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens)
  • The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor: More than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours
  • Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
The Storyteller Women Worldwide: Transnational Feminist Perspectives on Women Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey Comic Living in a Nutshell Women's Voices, Feminist Visions: Classic and Contemporary Readings