Start by marking “The Bride of the Wilderness” as Want to Read:
The Bride of the Wilderness
Preview

The Bride of the Wilderness (Paul Christopher #06)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Born in squalid London at the turn of the eighteenth century, a girl makes a fresh start in the New World

Fanny’s father, Henry Harding, has known Oliver Barebones since the two men were children. Together they survived the Great Plague and the Great Fire, and now they are rich, middle-aged, and unmarried. Everyone’s shocked when Oliver, a lifelong bachelor, falls headfirst
Published November 22nd 2011 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published May 2nd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride of the Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride of the Wilderness

Rosina Lippi

One day he decided to sit down and write a historical novel about the founding of that family, set in the early eighteenth century in London, Canada, and the wilderness that would one day be Connecticut. The title is silly, but in fact there is an incredible love story ('incredible' just doesn't do it, and I would insert a lot more adjectives here but I'm holding back) at the h
Emmy
I couldn't decide if this was a 3 or 4 as it definitely fell somewhere between there, but I was feeling generous, so I went with a 4.

First of all, I should say that the blurb for this book is very misleading.
In early 18th-century America, London-born Fanny and the French soldier Philippe (ancestors of McCarrys famous recurring spy Paul Christopher) brave savage Indians and other adventures.
This description suggests this book is more of a romance about Fanny and Philippe. In reality the two of
Mitzi
I had a problem with this book that could have been a deal breaker - the main character, who is too perfect for words. Not once did I find myself caring about her or what happened to her. And her love interest? The same thing - in fact I could see no reason why she should love him at all, and I never once found myself rooting for them to get together.

With that being said, I still enjoyed the book. The story itself was interesting, but what really saved it were the side characters. Rose especiall
Meg
I loved this book. It has everything: drama, action, romance, and a seemingly authentic historical representation of life in early America without ridiculous politically-correct anachronisms all too common in historical fiction (and non-fiction, actually).
Susie
This is an engaging historical fiction novel set in England and the new world (both Canada and the US). There is lots of gruesome description of torture, so beware. The audiobook is read by Pam Ward. She did an excellent job with the voices for so many different characters with so many different accents.
Rosina Lippi

McCarry is best known for his political novels and for a series of espionage novels focusing on the Christopher family. One day he decided to sit down and write a historical novel about the founding of that family, set in the early eighteenth century in London, Canada, and the wilderness that would one day be Connecticut. The title is very romance-like, and in fact there is an incredible love story ('incredible' just doesn't do it, and I would insert a lot more adjectives here but I'm holding ba
Michele
This wasn't the type of novel that I usually read but I really enjoyed it. Was very interesting although some scenes were rather graphically violent.
Ysabeau
One of the best historical novels I've read in years. In scope and tone reminded me of the early westerns of Allan Eckart, but the characterizations are far more nuanced and expansive. There's a romantic element that never feels labored. The women in McCarry's novels can sometimes be a bit problematic--either over idealized as saints or sinners, but Fanny is a heroine for the ages and Rose is a marvelous sociopath. I can not believe I only discovered McCarry recently. His spy novels are aces, to ...more
Jodie
Read this one a long time ago, enjoyed the storyline. I have not read any other book in the series, and honestly did not realise it was part of a series. I read it as a stand alone book when I was in high school.
Meg
Sometimes I rate this book as my favorite book ever, and this is from a SF fan who normally despises historical novels! It has everything: adventure, characters with character, a compelling love story, historical setting with no trace of anachronism (especially of social attitudes), technical detail. I read one of his modern spy stories later, but it didn't do it for me.
Angeline Taylor
Very good older book on 17th Century England, France and the Colonies with Quebec thrown in. In sight into the native Americans in the area and how the English and French used them to fight a war mainly focussing on religion after Henry VIII separated from the Catholic religion. How relationships were made and broken and endured many hardships.
Janet Willett
I just finished this book. I felt like I was transported back to the life of the real people that settled America. I have never read a more realistic sounding account of life I early America.
Mary Frances
I often find little known good books thru Amazon's sale deals. This was a good find and an enjoyable book, very different from McCarry's contemporary novels.
Veronica Lindsey
Plods at times, but worth it. Will be looking to read the other christopher novels.
Judy
Good writing. Compelling. Some sex scenes a little too much.
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
Bree (AnotherLookBook) marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
mike hixson
mike hixson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Nick Smith
Nick Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Judie
Judie marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Brenda Tower
Brenda Tower marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
John Treanor
John Treanor marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Savannah Purchase
  • A World Full of Strangers
  • Steamboat Gothic
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Proud Breed
  • The Whip
  • The World, the Flesh and the Devil
  • Oh, Kentucky!
  • Dynasty Of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • Northwest Passage
  • Thunder on the Plains
  • The Midwife
  • Call the Darkness Light
  • The Iceweaver: A Novel
McCarry served in the United States Army, where he was a correspondent for Stars and Stripes, has been a small-town newspaperman, and was a speechwriter in the Eisenhower administration. From 1958 to 1967 he worked for the CIA, under deep cover in Europe, Asia, and Africa. However, his cover was not as a writer or journalist. He is married with four grown sons. His family is from The Berkshires ar ...more
More about Charles McCarry...

Paul Christopher (10 books)
  • The Miernik Dossier (Paul Christopher #1)
  • The Tears of Autumn (Paul Christopher #2)
  • The Secret Lovers (Paul Christopher #3)
  • The Better Angels (Paul Christopher #4)
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • Second Sight (Paul Christopher #7)
  • Shelley's Heart (Paul Christopher #8)
  • Old Boys (Paul Christopher #9)
  • Christopher's Ghosts (Paul Christopher #1o)
The Tears of Autumn (Paul Christopher #2) The Miernik Dossier (Paul Christopher #1) The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5) The Shanghai Factor Old Boys (Paul Christopher #9)