Start by marking “He Done Her Wrong” as Want to Read:
He Done Her Wrong

He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters #8)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  11 reviews
As a favor to his brother, Toby Peters does a job for a fading Hollywood divaYou can’t trust a man who’s dressed as Mae West, especially not in Mae West’s house. One of Hollywood’s earliest sex symbols, the whip-smart blonde’s star has fallen since the Hays Code cracked down on the racy repartee that made her famous. Her latest project is a thinly veiled autobiographical n ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about He Done Her Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Done Her Wrong

Jim
I didn't care for this too much. He's a born loser & while it was amusing at first, it just got old & too predictable. By the half way mark, I knew what was going to happen too often. I started skipping ahead & didn't miss a thing.

On the plus side, the characters were quirky - a lot of old time references & stars. I like Old Time Radio, so enjoyed them. The story was well read &, even though I came in long into the series, had no trouble picking up the threads.

I won't bother
Jim
Kaminsky's detective, Toby Peters is quite a character. He is a hard boiled PI, just barely scraping by financially, but once he takes a case, he is determined with a capital "D". Peters gets knocked to the mat quite a bit and always gets up before the ten count and keeps coming. When asked how he catches criminals he replies, "I take whatever passes for a lead, and I keep after it. Sometimes I go after ten leads before I get anywhere, and sometimes I go after twenty leads and never get anywhere ...more
Marj
I enjoyed Stuart Kaminsky's interpretation of Mae West in this story, and the mystery kept me guessing. Toby Peters manages to solve the problem, although it takes him awhile, and he has to go through quite a bit to reach the solution.
I found this, as the others in this series, to be fun reads, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
Cindy
This was a Toby Peters Mystery and I enjoy this look back to the 40's. It was a fun read and I wish I could have been there to see the room full of Mae West's.
Set in April 1942 Hollywood. May West has hired Toby Peters to find her stolen tell all mauscript. Has Cecil B. DeMille done her wrong? Written in Film Noir style.
Joe O'c
Good; Continuing character: Toby Peters; this time its Mae West that the detective is trying to protect from an escapee from a mental hospital
Cherie
Kaminsky makes me laught and this one was no exception. Toby bumbles around investigating but he always seems to figure things out.
Donna
Good mystery centered around Hollywood in war time and Mae West, among others. Interesting plot and reflection of the times.
Lisa
Good fun read. Disappointed that Mae West didn't appear in the storyline more. Other than that, it was good.
Pam
Richard W. Kahl
Richard W. Kahl is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Familyreader
Familyreader marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
KH
KH marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Scott Rowland
Scott Rowland marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kassandra
Kassandra marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Sarah added it
Jan 28, 2015
Chelsea Langston
Chelsea Langston marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Dave Gochenaur
Dave Gochenaur marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Emma Bull
Emma Bull marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery, #3)
  • Batteries Required (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #4)
  • Liberty Square (Kate Delafield, #5)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • The London Blitz Murders (Disaster Series, #5)
  • The Hidden Law
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • Dial M for Mischief (Sunshine Girls, #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Tokyo Kill: A Thriller (Jim Brodie #2)
  • Dead Man's Fancy (Sean Stranahan Mystery #3)
  • Sacred Games (The Athenian Mysteries, #3)
  • Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Me Tanner, You Jane (Evan Tanner, #7)
  • Sicken and So Die: A Charles Paris Mystery
  • Antinomy
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Toby Peters (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • The Howard Hughes Affair (Toby Peters, #4)
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
  • High Midnight (Toby Peters, #6)
  • Catch a Falling Clown (Toby Peters, #7)
  • The Fala Factor (Toby Peters, #9)
  • Down for the Count (Toby Peters, #10)
  • The Man Who Shot Lewis Vance (Toby Peters, #11)
Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1) A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5) Dead of Winter (CSI: New York, #1) Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1) Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)