Start by marking “Catch a Falling Clown” as Want to Read:
Catch a Falling Clown

Catch a Falling Clown (Toby Peters #7)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A circus stakeout puts Toby Peters at the bottom of the food chainThe gorilla doesn’t like clowns. Normally that wouldn’t bother Toby Peters, since detective work tends to keep him far away from animal cages, but tonight he’s dressed as a clown and locked in with the ape. The animal’s handler told him not to worry—gorillas don’t eat people. They just like to tear their arm ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Catch a Falling Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catch a Falling Clown

Geri
I was at my local used bookstore several days ago when the cover of this book caught my eye.
I love clowns.
Happy, sad, nice, evil -- I love clowns.
I don't get what it is about clowns that give people the heebie-jeebies.
One of my favorite clowns is Pennywise from Stephen King's It.

Book #7
Someone with a grudge against circuses is killing off the performers.
Emmett Kelly hires Toby Peters to find out who it is.
Good mystery sprinkled with real people.
I'd like to read the rest of the series.
Michael Paribello
great job evoking the atmosphere of a traveling circus
Susan
Private eye Toby Peters has been hired by famous clown Emmett Kelly, who feels that his gig in a small circus puts his life in jeopardy. Kelly is also worried about the death of some circus elephants. Soon after Peters arrives in Mirador (to which local lawmen have warned him never to return), a tightrope walker dies in what Peters is sure is not an accident. Peters calls on his Los Angeles friends to help him, but he's soon in serious danger, from criminals as well as the law.
Dave
Consistent with the other two Toby Peters mysteries I've heard, escapist noir near parody. Peters is called by famous clown Emmet Kelly to investigate the suspicious death of a circus elephant near a town where Toby can't support the local sheriff. When aerialists die from falls and bullet wounds, Peters is the sheriff's choice of fall guy. An admirable distraction.
Cherie
I love the settings of these books--Hollywood in the 1940s and there's alway a celebrity. Toby Peters makes me laugh so I thoroughly enjoy the books.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Toby Peters; detective assists clown Emmitt Kelly when animals and performers start getting killed at the circus.
Sandi
These mysteries are set in the 1940's in Hollywood and always involve a movie star or two. Fun.
Isaac
This one fell through the net.
Ed
Toby Peters w/ Emmett Kelly
Richard W. Kahl
Richard W. Kahl is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2015
Kassandra
Kassandra marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Dave Gochenaur
Dave Gochenaur marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
L. C.
L. C. marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Joanna
Joanna added it
Dec 30, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Jan 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Toby Peters (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • The Howard Hughes Affair (Toby Peters, #4)
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
  • High Midnight (Toby Peters, #6)
  • He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters, #8)
  • The Fala Factor (Toby Peters, #9)
  • Down for the Count (Toby Peters, #10)
  • The Man Who Shot Lewis Vance (Toby Peters, #11)
Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1) A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5) Dead of Winter (CSI: New York, #1) Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1) Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)