Start by marking “Blue World” as Want to Read:
Blue World

Blue World

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,957 ratings  ·  83 reviews
A novella and twelve stories from a master of supernatural horror

Father John has lived his whole life without knowing a woman’s touch. Hard at first, his self-denial grew easier over time, as he learned to master his urges with a regimen of prayer, cold showers, and jigsaw puzzles. That changed the day that Debra Rocks entered his confessional. A rough-talking adult film a
Published October 18th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Blue World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue World

Charlene
Edited 12.27.13 after the third read.
I started off making notes on each story that I thought was above average, as you can see below...

The first story in this collection knocked my socks off. It was eerily reminiscent of an episode of The Twilight Zone. The bees! 5*
Edited: It turns out that this actually WAS a Twilight Zone magazine story in 1986.

The second story, "Makeup" was a tribute to horror films of old, with all kinds of references to a previous Robert McCammon novel, They Thirst. 4*

"Nig
Maciek
I love short stories. A volume of short stories is not something that's very likely to be published now, so whenever I come upon one I feel like a child who has been given a box of chocolate. And like Forrest's momma said, you never know what you gonna get when you decide to open one.

Robert McCammon is a master storyteller, and "Blue World" is a great example of his skill. Writing a short story is a task that requires considerable ability - an author has very limited space for characterization a
Melki
Seeing that the author of this book of short stories and one novella is Robert McCammon, I was expecting some scary stuff, AND I was not disappointed. I got to have an unsettling look inside the mind of a spree killer and spend a creepy All Hallow's Eve with a man who discovers that once a year, you need to GIVE if you wanna GET.

BUT...not all the stories were terrifying.

I got to meet a traveling canary that brings magic and wonder to some prisoners. A story about an elderly man who decides to b
Jessica
One of the craziest books of short stories I have ever read. I think I was quoting the story, 'Something Passed By'. for years and years after I read it. "He was sitting on the front porch in the steamy heat of mid-day, sipping from a glass of gasoline, when the doomscreamer came." I am a harlot for great sentences, and this one is one of my top ten.
Marvin
Robert McCammon is best know for his rather long horror novels such as Stinger, Hour of The Wolf, and Swan's Song. Blue World is his only collection of short fiction and it is unfortunate that McCammon does not spend more time in this medium. The short story demonstrates his ability to tell a tale distinctly, economically and with maximum impact. Most of these tales are short and to the point yet packs a horrific punch. There is not a bad story here yet the highlights are a tale about a Vietnam ...more
Rich Stoehr
Re-reading "Blue World," I was reminded of why it's such a pity McCammon doesn't write more than he does.

"Blue World" is a collection of 12 short stories spanning McCammon's career, and one novella. The stories are all worth reading, offering up a good variety of material, from the frightening ("Yellowjacket Summer") to the disturbing ("Pin") to the sublime (the novella, "Blue World").

What this collection brings to mind most, however, is McCammon's skill at setting a mood. He tells a great story
Maya Ivers
I don't have a lot of time at the moment to post a lengthy review. For now, I will just say that I have owned this book for at least 15 years and have lost count of how many times I have re-read it.
Adam Wilson
Robert R. McCammon doesn't get nearly enough credit in my opinion. I've read five of his books and all of them deserve much more notice than they have received. Blue World is his short story collection and every single story in this book is worth reading and very enjoyable. Yellowjacket Summer actually gave me chills because I am terrified of insectts that sting or bite and there are millions in this story. "Makeup" was something completely new and was one of my favorites from this book "He'll C ...more
Missy
The Basics

Blue World is a collection of short stories and one novella, all of which seem to be from McCammon’s early career. They’re all mostly horror/thriller and run the gamut on subject matter.

My Thoughts

I hate books like this. A story collection is meant to be a balanced read where each story is a cool, little nugget you enjoyed on some level. So that by the end of the journey, you feel that the overall experience was worth it. What it’s not supposed to be is what this collection was. A coup
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
I read this book soon after I read Baal. Second Chance and I was dissapointed because not all stories were that good and for me most of them were not that satisfactory… (unfortunally). I still believe he is a good writer because he has some good stories here…

"Yellowjacket Summer" – This story is boy with a power to talk to Yellowjackets (bees? Hornets?). If in the beginning was a little slow the ending was an good one.
"Makeup" – a Thief steals a make up from an old horror movies actor and gets a
David Agranoff
At this point in my life my favorite authors are John Shirley, F.Paul Wilson and Robert McCammon. McCammon wrote my second favorite novel of all time – Swan Song. He has written several other favorites in my collection including Mine and the weird crime classic Gone South. I had been saving two of his books for the “Right time” for years. That has included “Boy’s Life,” and his short story collection “Blue World.”

While I still have found the perfect time for the other yet, I read Blue World thi
Randolph Carter
Blue World by Robert McCammon is a collection of his early stories and one novella, Blue World. The stories are excellent with a few: Chico, PIN, Yellowjacket Summer, Nightcrawlers, Yellachile, are almost perfect horror stories. Chico and PIN are my favorites. The other stories are good too, just not as perfect.

However what lowered this from 5 to 4 stars was inclusion of the long novella Blue World itself. I thought the plot was formulaic: black night, fallen white night, female fallen angel, wh
Glen Engel-Cox
If you read horror, you'd have to have been in suspended animation not to have heard of Robert McCammon. A veritable writing machine, with bestsellers like They Thirst, Night Boat, Stinger, and Swan Song, the man has virtually rewritten the horror genre from whole cloth. (There are some who say he's rewritten Stephen King and done it better.) His new novel just hit the stands as I write this; called Mine, it has no outlandish or fantastic events, just good old aberrant human psychology. The publ ...more
Gregor Xane
I didn't read every story in this collection. I couldn't. I did read most of them, but there was nothing here that compelled me to read them all. "Night Calls the Green Falcon" was pretty good. The title story, the novella, "Blue World," had a promising start, but the end just wasn't satisfying.
Craig
A great gathering of tales from this great writer. If you have never read any of his books and are curious about his writing style, I would read this book first.
Zombette
There were some really great stories in this book. So many different kinds of horror.
Jenny
Love, love, love this book. One of my all-time faves. Can't be faulted on any level.
Nancy
A great set of stories by Robert R. McCammon! Love them all.
Brian Schwartz
This is McCammon’s only volume of short stories. This volume includes:

Yellowjacket Summer

A young woman and her two children run out of gas in a strange town straight out of the Twilight Zone. It seems the hot summer brings out the bees --- and they terrify.

Makeup

A small time thug ends up with the makeup case of a famous horror actor. Was the long deceased actor brilliant, or was the secret in his makeup? One of the better stories in the book.

Doom City

Brad wakes up one morning and finds the wife
David
This author is one of those who people only find if they like Stephen King, and search for other similar authors. Overall, I like McCammon more than King.

This collection of short fiction from Robert McCammon features thirteen stories. Not all of them are first-rate, but I liked all of them, and some of them I absolutely loved. Some of these stories are from quite early in the author's career, such as the fun and campy story, "Makeup". Some of the stories are full of creepy horror (Yellowjacket S
Jared
Robert McCammon is one of those authors that you don't read for deep philosophical monologues or profound insights into the meaning of life. You read McCammon's books to be terrified, and entertained. Over the course of this particular collection, I was both of these things, and then some. This is easily one of the best short story collections I've read in my life. Among the most spectacular were Yellowjacket Summer, Makeup, and Night Calls The Green Falcon. The first is a sweltering nightmare c ...more
Paul Spence
If you are a fan of horror (real horror, not gross-out)then this book is a must read.

This book had some really great short stories in it.

In particular (as I am a science fiction fan) "Something Passed By" is a must read. This story, more than the others grabbed me and wouldn't let go. It is a poignant story about a world where all our cherished conventions about physics have been smashed.

Stunning and haunting.
Angela
Robert McCammon is one of the best (and most underrated) authors I've ever read. He writes in many genres -- horror is only one of them. Buy his stuff. All of it. You will never regret it.

Blue World is a collection of short stories, and serves as a great introduction to McCammon if you've never read him before.
Stephen
My introduction to this author. I read the first half of the book and listened to the second half on a books-on-tape version. Great stuff. From everything else I've sampled of his works, this wasn't a fluke. He's the real deal: a great writer who happens to work in the horror field.
Redri9hthand
There are some outstanding horror stories here along with a couple that didn't really interest me, but still, they were quick and pleasant diveresions.
The last chapter however, "Blue World", about a priest who falls in love with an adult entertainer, comprises about a third of the whole book and isn't horror story at all. Minus two stars at least for that unpleasantness.
Susan
Robert McCammon writes really GOOD stuff.
If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself!!

Swan Song was my 1st McCammon book--now I'm hooked!!
Holly
My favorite stories (in order of appearance) were:

1)Makeup - A real dimwit loser small-time criminal obtains a cursed object through happenstance. Homage is paid to classic horror film archetypes. There is an inappropriate laugh at the end.

2) He'll Come Knocking At Your Door - Just because I love Halloween themed stories, and this one was fun.

3)The Red House - I am a redhead. Conformity is an abomination. I related to the main character in this story.

4) Blue World - I enjoyed this story of suspe
Waven
Note for new readers: The book summary listed (as of 7/28/2011 at least), involving a character named Matthew Corbett, is for a completely different book. Ignore that description. Blue World is a collection of Robert McCammon's early short stories.

This is the best of McCammon's work that I've read. Even after Swan Song, Boy's Life, and Mine, I prefer this collection of stories. They are an interesting, almost eclectic mix of horror, humor, and hope which serves as a very kind introduction to thi
Cheryl
This book was kind of like watching an Alfred Hitchcock marathon or a Twilight Zone marathon. Fun, fast and kind of creepy. Actually, could have been alot creepier.
  • Dark Gods
  • The Bridge
  • A Choir of Ill Children
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • High Cotton: Selected Stories
  • Headhunter  (Special X, #1)
  • Dark Companions
  • Nightmares And Geezenstacks
  • A Winter Haunting
  • Mirror
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

A new contemporary novel, The Five, was published in May 2011 by Subterranean Press.

The Hunter from the Woods, a collection of novellas and stories featuring Michael Gallatin, the main character from The Wolf's Hour, was published as
More about Robert McCammon...
Swan Song Boy's Life The Wolf's Hour They Thirst Mine