Start by marking “The Angry Hills” as Want to Read:
The Angry Hills

The Angry Hills

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  854 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A writer moves to Greece just as the Nazis invade, and he soon becomes a pawn in a dangerous game of espionage

After the death of his wife, Mike Morrison arrives in Greece simply to receive an inheritance and come to grips with his grief. But it’s a bad time to nurse his sorrow—it’s the beginning of World War II, and the German army storms the country before Morrison can le
Published September 27th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Angry Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angry Hills

Christopher Bunn
I found The Angry Hills at a used book sale last Saturday. I've been a fan of Leon Uris for quite a long time, but only for two of his books: Exodus and Mila 18. Both of those books are intense, sprawling epics, mostly painted with sorrow, but shot through here and there with sunlight. I read The Haj once, but disliked it intensely for reasons I can't remember. Anyway, The Angry Hills sounded interesting due to its subject: Greece during the early portion of the Nazi occupation in the 40s. That ...more
Jason Golomb
“…the very soul of Greece danced by firelight.”
from Leon Uris’ “The Angry Hills"

"The Angry Hills" is an enjoyable read; there are parts that are memorable, but it's uneven. I believe this is Uris' second novel, and while it evokes a depth and nuance of a burgeoning author of historical epics, it also hints at something that's rushed, and perhaps could've used a more firm editorial hand.

“The Angry Hills” refers to World War II Greek resistance against German infiltration. While Germany invaded At
David B
While conducting business in Greece during WWII, American writer Mike Morrison is trapped by the German advance. When he comes into possession of a secret list of Greek patriots who are pretending to be collaborators, he must go on the run to escape the enemy forces that have been assigned to retrieve the information. This is the only book by Leon Uris that I have read. I was under the impression that he was a writer who researched his subjects meticulously. Perhaps this was one of his first boo ...more
Hannah
Sorry Leon, not my favorite of your books. The story follows Mike Morrison who is an American who goes to Greece on a simple errand. He then accidentally gets entangled into British espionage and had to evade capture from German Nazis. And then a lot of bad things happen to him. And a nice Greek peasant girl comes to his rescue. But just when Mike realizes that he has no future with the Greek peasant girl, another lovely woman comes into the picture.

There was just a lot that didn't seem plausibl
Dana Huffer
Having come from Mila 18 (and a half-hearted, high school attempt at Trinity a few years ago) I had high hopes for Angry Hills - I visited Greece a few years ago and while I was there we learned about the Greek involvement in World War Two as well as the efforts of the B.E.F.

Needless to say, I was intrigued; a Leon Uris novel set in WWII Greece is very cool sounding. However, I feel that while this is still a good book overall, there are a certain number of plot holes and things that just bugged
Dsg
Independent and used bookstores are, for me, as much weapons to my pocketbook as cheesecake is to my hips.

I love seeking out those shops in small towns, some of which I was in (shops and towns) last week. In these communities, booksellers shared floor space with clothing boutiques; animal barns (where you could by fresh eggs and books alike); even elegant restaurants.

Marginalia are real treats for me, seeing what the "ghosts" before me were thinking as they read.

This time around I was looking fo
David Bonesteel
Thom Swennes
The Angry Hills by Leon Uris is a fast paced story of war, love and espionage. Uris was a great storyteller and this book, although much shorter than its better known siblings, shows the genius of Uris. In the story, Michael Morrison is a budding novelist that finds himself in Athens at the moment of the BEF defeat. He is entrusted with a list that would have a large impact on the war and both sides were willing to go to all extremes to obtain it or keep the enemy from doing the same. The story ...more
Debbie
I'm a big fan of Leon Uris. This was one of his first books. I enjoyed this book even though it was not up to the caliber of some of his later books. I can see the beginnings of a great author in this book.
Liz V.
As noted by another commenter, Uris based this book in part on a diary kept by an uncle. It deals with a seldom covered period of Greek history, the period of invasion by the Nazis and looks realistically at the perils of occupation by a totalitarian force.

Note, the protaganist is an American author who, among other works, authored Home is the Hunter. The same title is used by Helen MacInnes for her play about Odysseus and for the protaganist's play in North from Rome (1958).
Geneal
This is an interesting spy story that takes place in Greece at the beginning of WWII. I enjoyed it because I have been to Greece and many of the places made more sense because of my travels. The name of the hotel I stayed in was used in the novel! Crazy!

It is definitely a reading-for-pleasure type of book. There is not a lot of literary substance, but once in a while it is nice to read just for plot!
Jaishree
The angry hills is historic fiction based on the German occupation of Greece. While the history that the story is based on is interesting, the characters didn't quite draw me in. I didn't find this on par with some of the other books by Leon Uris.

It's a quick read and I would recommend it to fans of Leon Uris or the genre of historic fiction.
Jeffery
Mildly entertaining thriller that takes place in Greece in the early days of WW II. Written in the mid 1950's, it seems dated in many ways, but I picked up this book partially for the nostalgia invoked by reading of fiction of this time period. Nevertheless, it's a fast-paced, quick read and enjoyable.
Chuck
According to Leon Uris the basis for this story was a first person diary kept during WWII by his uncle in Greece. At the center of the story is the British Expeditionary Force efforts to escape its Grecian "Dunkirk." This was Uris' second novel and like his first, "Battle Cry", was made into a movie.
Richard Katz
This is the only Leon Uris novel I had not read and Uris is among my favorite novelists. Wow. I was disappointed. This had all the plot turns and the whole ordinary-man-in extraordinary situation schtick I like so well, but this one did not do the trick for me!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Angry hills, Leon Uris, c1955
عنوان: «تپه های خشمگین»؛ اثر: ائون یوریس؛ ترجمه: همایون بدیع؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، سازمان کتابهای جیبی، 1343، در 244 ص، اندازه 11 در 16 س.م.، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان آمریکایی قرن 20 م
Anil Swarup
A fast, pacy and "unputdownable" book by Uris. Unlike his other books like Mila 18 and Armagaddon, this can be read in one sitting. The descriptions are crisp and in this sense different from his other "renditions".
Kay
One of the few Leon Uris books I hadn't read years ago. And now I remember why I loved all his books! Wonderful characters, good suspense, and now I'm pretty sure I need to take another trip to Greece.
Marie Theron
A good little page turner, something to read between more complicated books. Its value lies in making us aware of the suffering of those innocent little Greek towns during WWII.
Janice
I procrastinated in reading this book because I thought it was going to be a snooze fest, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was a page turner.
Becca
One of my least favorite Leon Uris books, which is a pity because I enjoy reading about the time period and location....
Wesley
Good quick read but nothing spectacular. Learned a good Greek word. Calamatiano also spelled w/a K. It's a dance.
Adam
A load of old tosh - but quite entertaining tosh if you're in the mood
Evalyn
A suspenseful story during WWII and short for Leon Uris.
Donna
It's a good book, but I guess I just wasn't in the mood and then I forgot about it.
Ginny
There are some exciting moments in this book, but it feels really dated.
Celeste
Jan 02, 2015 Celeste rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII readers
Shelves: i-own
Loved this wartime suspense novel. Set in Greece during WWII.
Vicki Klemm
Not my most favorite Leon Uris book; one of his earlier writings?
Paul
I thought I wanted to read an old pulp thriller. I was wrong.
Timothy Smith
This was a fun read and a great diversion full of suspense.
  • Officer Factory (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
  • Goodbye Mickey Mouse
  • The Dirty Dozen
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • Above Suspicion
  • Wildwood Boys
  • The Genizah at the House of Shepher
  • In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder
  • Moral Combat: A History of World War II
  • From Death to Morning
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • Creatures of the Kingdom
  • Ancient Evenings
  • Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides
  • Picture This
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two
  • Some Can Whistle
  • The Hope (The Hope and the Glory, #1)
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa
More about Leon Uris...