Such Devoted Sisters

Such Devoted Sisters

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A generations-spanning saga shows what it means to be a sister

If it weren’t for her sister, Dolly might have been the most famous actress of Hollywood’s golden age. But Eve’s beauty and drive have pushed Dolly onto the B-list, where the seeds of jealousy take root. An unscrupulous agent gives her a chance at a comeback, and she takes it at Eve’s expense. She gives her sist...more
Published November 29th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published December 31st 1991)

Kelley Ross
I read this book a while back and really enjoyed it. The novel depicts the lives of two sisters who have both betrayed and supported one another at various times throughout their lives. My favorite parts were the descriptions of the chocolate-making because of course who wouldn't like to read about chocolate and romance all at one time?
Anushka
Absolutely loved this book, this is the second time i'm reading it and I just flew through all 711 pages...was so sad when it got over :( Not like one of your usual paperback romances - this book uncovers a lot about human nature, what makes us do things, how hard it is to let go and how easy it is to read everyone else but ourselves...hmm. something to think about. Anyway, I'm unashamedly confessing that I love it. it may not be a classic or on the booker list or whatever, and I bet more mills...more
Deodand
I really tried to give this book a chance on the recommedation of my mother, but I guess our tastes are just too different. I found this book predictable, boring and derivative. I hate how the characters seem to deliberately choose against the best course of action in order to wreck their lives. It feels forced - like the hand of the author stirs them around.

I also cringed at the sex scenes. They are wedged in between plot elements at certain intervals, as if to keep the reader moving on through...more
Nenia Campbell

♥ || Twitter || ♥ || Facebook || ♥ || Booklikes ♥ || Pinterest || ♥

Ooooh, lookit my first edition. :D

SUCH DEVOTED SISTERS starts out strong and then quickly loses steam as it resorts to emotional manipulation to further the plot. It opens with two sisters, nicknamed Dolly and Dearie. Dearie is an actress and a successful one at that. Dolly is being eaten up inside by jealousy--especially since the man Dearie is engaged to left Dolly for her. When Dolly gets a call from her agent telling her tha...more
Victoria
I guess this was decent recreational reading, but I didn't love it. I had to put it down several times because I found the main characters actions annoying and predictable. All the miscommunications and hiding things from one another drove the plot, but were not very realistic. The most interesting parts of the book to me were the descriptions of the chocolate making and selling.
Jessiaca Evans
I have a hard time with this book! It was far too slow a read! I found myself stopping in the middle of the book, it was too boring!
M
What a lousy waste of time. Poorly written, weak characters, and a plot I couldn't have made up if I tried - if I hadn't been in Israel for the year and desperate for anything in English I wouldn't have stuck through. Blech.
Rebecca Englehart
Read this a long time ago, it was my first Eileen Goudge, made me fall in love with her style. Just be sure to have a box of chocolates near by when reading you will crave it
Nancy
Apr 13, 2008 Nancy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Nancy by: Shay
Don't take adivce from Shana when looking for a good book to read. This was certainly not it!!!!!!!!! Thanks Shay, I owe you.
Samantha Cosham
I have actually read and re-read this book many times. It's not perfect, the characterisation is sensationalised and stereotypical (from the brassy Hollywood starlet in Dearie through to the moustachioed french Henri) and the storyline, although engaging, is poorly conceived in its sprawl and unconvincing for it.

However...and its s big however, this book is like pulling on an old warm comfy pair of pyjamas. The characters are likeable, most of the time. Their flaws are many but they appear huma...more
Betita
Gostei bastante.
A história desenrola-se ao longo de 30 anos começando por nos relatar as desavenças de Dolly e Eve, 2 irmãs em busca da fama no mundo do cinema muitas vezes não olhando a meios para a atingir, o que acaba por as separar drásticamente.
A carreira de Eve acaba por desmoronar por culpa de Dolly.
Anos mais tarde, com a morte de Eve Dolly acaba por reencontrar as 2 sobrinhas e ajudá-las por remorsos mas também por Amor.
A vida destas 2 irmãs, Annie e Laurel, vai passar por por muitos enc...more
Michele
This is a very quick read. It is definitely "chick lit", although I use the term "lit" very loosely. The novel is formulaic and you can tell immediately how it will end.
Margaret Boehm
This was a very interesting story. If you really think about it, it is so true about our own personal behavior. This is a "me" society. What can you do for me? "It's all about me". Yet when we makes the choice to make it all about "me", we don't want to complemplate the consquences that our decision will have on those around us. We don't realize that our choice can even effect the next generation. Well written.
Sheepish
I read this a lifetime ago, and at the time enjoyed the irony of how distant my sister and I were. But when my nephews came along, I remember thinking of how the sister in the book who was the aunt would swoop in with colors and words that mesmerized the boys...... and I've thought of that often in my dealings with those boys.
Ahf
Pretty terrible. I thought with Donada Peters reading and a subplot of chocolate it would be tollerable, instead it was pure trash that I became engrossed in while wishing I could move on to something of more quality.
Valerie Curtis
I had this sitting on my bookshelf for 4 years before I read it. It was a very quick read but I loved the characters, even Uncle Rudy. I have yet to read any of Goudge's other books, but I really like her style.
Mariebell
I remember reading this book ages ago.
Some advice, don't read this book with a box of chocolates by your side, you'll eat them all!
Hima-chan
Hmmm. Chocolate. :D

Seriously. It's sweet - from familial love, to romance, to weirder issues. xD And especially, chocolate.
Mary Beth
Pretty good. Theme: miscommunication and lack of communication can lead to all kinds of heart-ache.
Geri  Newman
My first Eileen Goudge book. After this one I sought out and read many of her other books.
Carmen
I did not like it. They were not devoted sisters! It was quite depressing, actually.
Linda
I just loved this book of jealousy & betrayal. I had trouble putting this one down.
Maggie
Again, my new favorite author. You really start to care about these people!
Angela Randall
Verry good book. I have it on tape and I like it
Meghan C
Feb 18, 2008 Meghan C rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who has a sister
Not exactly great "literature", but worth my time
  • Accidental Happiness: A Novel
  • When Dreams Come True
  • In Her Absence
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Dette burde skrives i nutid
  • His Other Wife
  • Castillos de cartón
  • Kadaverdoktoren (Madeleine Karno, #1)
  • Spring Tide
  • All My Sisters
  • Angelique and the Ghosts (Angelique: Original version #10)
  • Learning to Lose
  • Fallvatten
  • Angelique and the Demon (Angelique: Original version #9)
  • The Passions of Chelsea Kane
  • The Brothers Grimm: 101 Fairy Tales
  • Beatriz y los cuerpos celestes
  • Her Mother's Daughter
I was born on the Fourth of July, and it's been fireworks ever since. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay area as one of six kids, I was never without a cast with which to stage my early theatrical productions, which included a musical rendition of "The Christmas Carol," in which I was Ebenezer Scrooge. I began writing at age eight, with short stories and poems, and I haven’t looked back since. Fr...more
More about Eileen Goudge...
Garden of Lies The Diary Woman in Red The Replacement Wife Once in a Blue Moon