The Minotaur (Jake Grafton, #3)

The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #3)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,391 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The thriller from New York Times bestselling author Stephen Coonts—now available as an ebook
At the height of the Cold War, Captain Jake Grafton becomes entangled in the hunt for a spy selling high-tech military secrets to the Soviet Union

Naval pilot Jake Grafton flies fighter jets with ice water in his veins. But when he’s assigned a desk job in the Pentagon as the head o...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published September 18th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Minotaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minotaur

BoekenTrol
From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me. This one will stay here untill I've read it.

I liked this book. Not the best espionage book I've ever read, but it was okay.
What I disliked most, was the fact that I could not quite follow the who did what in the espionage part. The main thread was easy to follow, Grafton and his task to be completed.

The spies, the counter spies, the Minotaur.... for me they were a bit shady in motives and who did what. But spy business is always a bit shady, so I...more
Elyse
Thought I'd try another in the Jake Grafton series. Again, this one was ok, but a little hard to follow some of the secondary characters. Maybe that's because I read it over a period of a few (busy) weeks; maybe it's just that the writing isn't as crisp and the plot isn't as tight as some of his other novels.

Either way, a fun read. I'll keep hoping that the Deep Black series becomes available as e-books from my library!
Ruth
"I love the names of the characters in this book - Jake Grafton, Toad Tarkington and Rita Moravia. Jake the main protagonist, Toad the affable almost side-kick and the love interest, stong but feminine - Rita. From the authors own thoughts ""I wanted Rita to be an ace pilot, all business and damn good at her job. Toad, of course, would be drawn to her like a moth to a candle."" Stephen Coonts was born in 1946 and trained as a pilot. After leaving the navy, he retrained as a lawyer and started wr...more
Steve
I thoroughly enjoyed this Grafton story.
It was a page turner.
There were times that I was confused about the "why" of a characters' actions but that was explained in due time.
Jeff
Weak book. Poorly developed characters. Horribly written female characters. Some characters know how to accomplish things that they would probably never know. This is a wannabe Tom Clancy book. However, while he really enjoys discussing the technical details of the aircraft, he doesn't have the same skill at making it accessible to the average reader. This book wasn't really awful but I am kind of bummed that I spent time to finish it. The few good moments were too few and far between to make it...more
George
This novel in the series involves acquisition, flying, spies and intrigue. One can hardly put the thing down. Jake and Toad test a stealth airplane, which I believe that the Navy cancelled (in real life). Names are cleverly camouflaged, but obvious for the time of writing...Secnav Lehman as Lanman, for example. Who would have thought that a staff job could be so exciting?
Seth
This was my least favorite Stephen Coonts novel. It moves slower than most and the charachters are not great either. The story is outdated also but what can you do about that? If there is one nice thing I can say about this book, its that Grafton and his family do appear more human in this story then they have in many others.
Andreas
This one has a little more story than The Intruders. It’s all about a new plane developed to replace the A-6 Intruder, and a conspiracy. Our hero Jake Grafton is in the middle of it. If you enjoy aviation, this is probably for you. Otherwise, give it a pass.

James
The most entertaining thing about this book was reading a book written during the Cold War and the mentalities present when it came to technology and the world in 1980. The book was excited until the last 10% of the book and it was too long to have to wait that long.
Linda
I give this book a low 3 stars. It's too full of politics and technical details about stealth planes to suit my taste. I enjoyed the espionage story, but it didn't seem as well-written as some of Coonts' other Jake Grafton stories. Too much was left unexplained.
Sue
I acquired this book by accident & didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be surprisingly well-written, a well-crafted spy story. There was also a great deal of technical information about Navy airplanes & Navy test pilots that I followed only loosely.
Rick Wong
Nice intrique, I read this one before ??? I remember when the stealth plane was still in the infancy stage, and the stealth toys looked the plane on the cover. Good follow up of the other two Jake Grafton books. Very believable.
Steve
It was a decent book but the pace was a little slow. If you want a fast paced thriller this is not the book. If you want a book that is well laid out and packed with details and some intrigue this is the book for you.
Jason
Not badly written, but low on plot, high on episode. Characters are distinctive but rather thin. Events seem to occur by happenstance. A readable beach book to set aside and forget when you're done.
Rob
I was an avid reader of military aviation fiction in High School. I remember enjoying the subject matter but do not remember much about the writing style, etc as far as providing a rating.
Kristopher
Good book, still incorporating some flight scenes, this book seethes with slowly building tension over moles in a secret Navy stealth plane project.
Sandee Priser
Not sure who this was supposed to appeal to. Suspect those who love espionage, military action, technology and romance will all be disappointed.
Not my normal story, but I got sucked in because it was a Kindle Daily Deal. Good story and it was nice to get away from my "normal."
Justin
Good follow on to Final Flight, though a bit different book. Got a little long in the middle, but finished strong, good book overall.
Beth
It was a little slow compared to Intruders. I was a little disappointed but it is still a good book worth reading.
George
As with all the previous Coonts, relatively accurate and fast paced
Rendier
Very good action/spy story. I will read some more in this series.
Daelith
One of my least favorite of the Grafton series.
Jon M
A solid cold war thriller.
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Castin
Castin marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Hammer Heads
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent...more
More about Stephen Coonts...
Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1) Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #4) Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #2) Deep Black (Deep Black, #1) America (Jake Grafton, #9)