Start by marking “Depraved Indifference” as Want to Read:
Depraved Indifference

Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Butch Karp has never shied away from a difficult case, and when Croatian terrorists hijack a plane and kill an NYPD bomb squad cop in a bomb blast, he’s eager to prosecute the high-profile killers. But
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Depraved Indifference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depraved Indifference

Chris
From the book desc.

This was to "out there" for me. The best part is Karp and Ciampi

Book Two of the bestselling Butch Karp legal thriller series: the prosecutor goes after Cold War terrorists and finds himself tangled up with the CIA, the FBI, and the Mafia Butch Karp has never shied away from a difficult case, and when Croatian terrorists hijack a plane and kill an NYPD bomb squad cop in a bomb blast, he's eager to prosecute the high-profile killers. But Karp's aggression puts him at risk when h
Tammy Doughty
Another great book I couldn't put down. There are so many twist & turn you just can't figure out who's on who's team. For once, books that keep me guessing til the end. Plus who couldn't fall in love with such a bone headed character as Karp or his unbelievably smart & at time psychotic girlfriend, Marlene.
Shay Williams
I am hooked on this series and plan on picking up the rest on audio,.
Bryan
Not at all what I was expecting. Not your typical legal thriller.
Carolyn
I've read all the books Michael Gruber wrote under his own name, and started in on the series he ghosted for his cousin, Tanenbaum. They're all excellent so far, always teach me something I didn't know (this time, a clear, concise history of the Balkans), and give me something to think about. This one gets a fifth star because of the ending, with one the most wonderful comeuppances I've ever read.
Even I will admit this one was a little over the top with the conspiracies and counter-conspiracies and wheels-within-wheels. I got a little confused there toward the end about who exactly was screwing with whom and (especially) why. I was, however, confident that Our Hero Butch Karp would somehow save the day.
This was a really fun book. I kinda came into this series in the middle so this is the earliest of his books I've read. I would have given it 4 stars except that it was a bit far-fetched and seemed so outside the realm of possible it just didn't deserve it, but still this series is one of the best.
Judy
I feel that a lot of research went into this book to tell the history of the Croatians and Serbs but I also feel it was completely lost on me as one conspiracy begot another. It was a fun enough tale, but got too complicated for me to follow.
Cathy
It had a good plot, but the style wasn't my type (kind of rough vernacular) and towards the end it seemed a little convenient and unbelievable. This was recommended by my husband as Tanenbaum is one of his favorite authors.
Daniel
The plot was quite twisted at times but it was fun in the end. The Great Trap was pretty funny. Lots of good supporting cast which makes the series of books very enjoyable. And, I learned something about Croatian history.
Jon
I like Robert Tanenbaum and his characters. I went back to his first 'Butch Karp' books. This is number 2. You know you are enjoying a book when you laugh out loud. And Tanenbaum is not a comedy writer!
Jon
Better than the first one, No Lesser Plea, but still not up to the standard of the later Tanenbaum books, and certainly not up to what Michael Gruber is now writing under his own name.
Michelle Beese
I enjoy crime novels and Tanenbaum has interesting characters. I especially like the heroine Marlene Ciampi. She's tough and fearless!
Jim Meyer
Karp and Ciampi get involved with Croat/serb nationalists along with Cuban terrorists...a little too complicated for my simplistic mind.
Rebecca
Moving a little out of the realm of the possible? But definitely a pleasure to read.
Boris
Great book. Love the book especially because of the characters from Croatia.
Mailmanr5
Got a little too complicated plot wise.
Vicki Papworth
No. 2 of Butch & Marlene
Debbie Levy
Good-not great.
Sandi
Excellent thriller
Jani
Jani marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Jenny Ward
Jenny Ward marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jannine
Jannine marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • Hunting Season
  • Timothy's Game
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Top Ten
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
  • The Silent Cradle
  • Murder One (Ben Kincaid, #10)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Star Witness
  • Even Steven
  • Kiss Them Goodbye
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • She Loves Me Not
  • Run for Your Life
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • The Blonde
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...
Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4) No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1) Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14) Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10) True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)