Start by marking “The Pig Comes to Dinner” as Want to Read:
The Pig Comes to Dinner

The Pig Comes to Dinner (Pig Trilogy #2)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  55 reviews

The second book in the Pig Trilogy—now available as an ebook

Back to his familiar mischief is the obstreperous creature that romped so riotously through The Pig Did It, the bestselling first novel in Joseph Caldwell’s Pig Trilogy. But in Mr. Caldwell’s entertaining porcine sequel, The Pig Comes to Dinner, the porker has some more serious business to attend to.

All of the ch
Published October 19th 2010 by Delphinium Books (first published May 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pig Comes to Dinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pig Comes to Dinner

Carole
I liked this better than its prequel. I was a little more accumstomed to the author's dry humor, I like his use of words, and the book had a more definitive ending.

A favorite quote from the Irish priest: "...one of the few disadvantages of a long life is that so much knowledge is heaped upon my head that I sometimes worry my poor skull is going to crack under the weight and my brain drip down onto the floor like puffin droppings."

And a description of the unwanted intruder: His Lordship was tall
Libbydale
I did not enjoy this as much as the first book in the trilogy, The Pig Did It. That was humourous and eventful. While this is a well-written book, the tone is more serious, or at the least the characters were far more introspective, and obsessive, obsessive at least with their ghostly problem. I was looking for a blast of an ending and was left with a feeling that the story didn't really end at all. I must have missed something because I didn't see a real resolution. Perhaps the last book in the ...more
Carl
A weak 3 stars; I didn't find it as entertaining as the first in the series. Not enough show, too much tell. Repetitious inner thoughts of main characters, even if delivered in entertaining, humorous fashion.
Carolyn
This novel is one of the more unique books I have read lately. The main character is an Irish author who specializes in writing "corrections" of famous novels - writing them the way they should have been written. For example, in her correction of Jane Eyre "...it is Rochester who throws himself from the attic in despair over Jane's rejection of a bigamous marriage, after which Jane, with her goodness and kindness, tames the Madwoman, and the two of them create for themselves a life of calm conte ...more
Michelle
This is the second book in the Pig Trilogy. This novel focuses on Kitty McCloud and her new husband Kiernan. They have recently purchased a castle as their home. But this home is inhabited by a pair of ghost lovers, hanged when a plot to blow up the castle went awry. Kitty first sees the ghosts thanks to the pig. As they learn more about the ghosts, each one of them is drawn to the ghost of the opposite sex. They learn from the local witch that it was their ancestors that are to blame for these ...more
Erica Verrillo
The Pig Comes to Dinner is the delightful sequel to The Pig Did It, Joseph Caldwell's hilarious farce about love, Ireland and pigs.

The story begins a short time after the first book's dramatic climax. Kitty and Kieran have married and moved into Castle Kissane, an ancient structure (something between a fortress and a barn) with a horrifying past. While the turret might seem a perfect place for Kitty to write her "corrections" of famous novels (in which the original writers have somehow gotten th
Susan
Newly-wed life-long enemies Kitty McCloud and Kieran Sweeney have moved into Shaftoe Castle, cursed by the unjust deaths of two young people at the hands of Lord Shaftoe hundreds of years before. They are surprised to find the ghosts of the dead youth and girl haunting the castle, and even more surprised when they each realize that they have fallen in love with one of the ghosts. Then the current Lord Shaftoe appears, claiming that he alone owns the castle. Can Kitty and Kieran leave their belov ...more
Susan
This is the second in a series of books...maybe I would have liked it better if I'd read the first one. In this book, an Irish couple owns a castle that is haunted by two young people who were hanged there. Only the couple, and the pig they got as a wedding gift, can see the ghosts. This book purports to be along the comedic lines but I didn't think it was particularly funny. There is a bit of a mystery in the book, and some drama when an ancestor of the castle's original owner shows up claiming ...more
Rose
I loved this book even more than the first! I can't wait to read book 3! I must say what happened to the pig was an unpleasant surprise I'm still not over. For a second I wanted to laugh, but only for a second! Then I was just overcome with shock & outrage. I can't believe Mr. Caldwell did that to that adorable pig! I loved him so! He was the best pig there ever was. He will be missed. :( Mr. Caldwell you broke my heart. But I still love you. The writing in this book was excellent. The humor ...more
Elizabeth
This is the second book in a trilogy.
This book was a little wordy for what it was trying to achieve. Nonetheless, it was entertaining. We find out how the feud began between Kitty and Kieran (who are now newlyweds) and we find out what happened to the pig (comical and sad all at once). I really liked the device of the two ghosts haunting the castle and why they were there. The fantastical imagery and the overbearing history seem very Irish to me. I'm on hold for part III!
Georgina Hynd
It's all about ghosts, pigs, dynamite, writers block, castles, property battles, pompous men and dry Irish humour. Not sure what more to say about it. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, glad I read it. It felt at times like having a conversation with my late brother who was full of wonderful flowery language and dry jokes, with me sitting smiling and nodding as my head tries to digest the overload of information coming at me. Not for everyone but still a nice read.
Teri
The pig returns in this second volume of the trilogy. The four main characters from the first book are now paired off and married. Kitty and Kiernan, the McCloud-Sweeney feud behind them, are setting up residence in an old castle. Should they believe the tales of a gunpowder plot, hanged young lovers, and ghosts? The pig leaves Lolly and Aaron's care to set things right at the castle. Wonderful comic novel, with lilting language that begs to be read aloud.
Karen
This was the second book in this series. The wayward pig is not so much a character as a foil for pulling all of the other characters together. I loved this story of Kieran and Kitty setting up housekeeping in an old castle with a troubled past. Each passage was something to savor, laugh about or read out loud to others.

I eagerly anticipate the third book, but I have to wonder at the connection, given the ending of this second one...
Megan
I was at work and needed something to pass the time during my student’s independent work time, and this title caught my eye. It was a fun read. One issue I had was with the narrator. What she said was true for a character, and what the character did, didn't always match. I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to be reading a very biased narrator (a la Wuthering Heights) or if the author just didn't notice the inconsistencies.

Sangeeta
i think i liked the first one better (the pig did it) tho there were some elements of this one that were just as entertaining. (i do love the irish flair for storytelling...the long paragraphs on the lordship's drooping body, for example, cracked me up.) i did like the romantic "goth" element of mournful, pitiful ghosts, but the ending didn't quite satisfy.

Donna
I can't believe this book was only reviewed 49 times! It brightened my year when it came out. I looked forward to it, the second in the series (the first being The Pig Did It). Written with sly humor, it is one of the most unique novels I have read in a very long time. Put it on your list, but read the first in the series before you do so.
Christine
I kept reading this book hoping it would get better but it didn't. The events unfolding were as expected. There were no surprises . For me this book fell flat.
Kim
I read the first one of this series and didn't like it very much and I wouldn't have bothered with this one except that it was the one book that I took with me on a trip and so went ahead and read it. Same thing. Not terribly likeable characters. I didn't even like the pig that much.
Cathy
The dialog was clever and the characters were likeable, and I appreciated reading some of the thoughts about Ireland. But basically I got bored with the book about 1/2 of the way through and ended up just pretty much skimming to the end. There just wasn't enough meat there.
Tiffany
3 and 1/2 stars again. Love the characters and the crazy things that happen to them. I also like the mystical elements (seers, ghosts, etc.) and the underlying devotion of everyone to their homeland of Ireland. I also enjoyed the literary references and funny dialogue.
Apr 07, 2012 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Irish romantics
Cathy
It takes a little time to get into the Irish rhythm of the prose, but once you get used to it, it is magically transporting.

Not going to give away the ending, but the possibilties for the third in the trilogy are going to be interesting.
Melanie
Very fun story. I'm glad the story focused more on Kitty and her husband rather than her nephew. It was sort of sad that they decided not to blow up the castle and instead live with the ghosts. It was also sad that the pig came to dinner.
Mary
You know, I really liked this book until the last 1/4 of it.
***SPOILER ALERT***
It was sad at the end and I have to wonder if it was not the author's subtle (or not so subtle) way of pushing vegetarianism.
Susan
Much better than the first one - I enjoyed the historical aspect of the story and of course who wouldn't want to live in a castle. Just picked up the 3rd in the series for next week.
Kathy Rogers
I'm definitely reading the rest of this series. Once finished, I started again, just to relish the language and to try to slow down to the pace it needed to be read at. Lots of fun.
Kathryn
If books were poems, this would be a limerick. Another lighthearted quick read in Caldwell's "Pig Trilogy" set in County Kerry. Caldwell is to Ireland what McCall Smith is to Botswana.
Amy
Don't listen to this; the reader for HighBridge audio is *way* too enthusiastic. On top of it, the writing is overblown and pompous. I quit somewhere in the first chapter.
Bonnie Gayle
I have to admit to skimming a bit, but I did enjoy this. I wasn't a huge fan about the twist ending...which made the title take on a completely different meaning!
Mary
humorous ghost story set in a castle in county kerry, ireland. the humor is in the author's virtuoso use of language, a very irish style. it was fun to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Becoming Finola
  • Rancid Pansies
  • Last Words of the Executed
  • Shannon
  • 1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace
  • Lonely Planet A Fork In The Road
  • The First Annual Grand Prairie Rabbit Festival
  • The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)
  • Good Morning, Mr. Mandela: A Memoir
  • Collected Stories
  • The Pianist in the Dark: A Novel
  • Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League
  • Shadows on Our Skin
  • Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)
  • Hypnotizing Maria
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • The Walking People
  • Down Among the Dead Men: A Year in the Life of a Mortuary Technician
A playwright and novelist whose books include The Pig Did It, The Pig Comes to Dinner, and The Pig Goes to Hog Heaven, Joseph Caldwell has been awarded the Rome Prize for Literature by the American Academy of Arts and Letters. He lives in New York City and is working on various post-Pig writing projects.
More about Joseph Caldwell...

Pig Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Pig Did It
  • The Pig Goes to Hog Heaven
The Pig Did It The Pig Goes to Hog Heaven The Uncle from Rome The Pig Trilogy: The Pig Did It, The Pig Comes to Dinner, and The Pig Goes to Hog Heaven Bread for the Baker's Child: A Novel