Start by marking “The Minotaur (Jake Grafton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Minotaur

Stephen Coonts

The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,043 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The thriller from New York Times bestselling author Stephen Coonts—now available as an ebook
At the height of the Cold War, Captain Jake Grafton becomes entangled in the hunt for a spy selling high-tech military secrets to the Soviet Union

Naval pilot Jake Grafton flies fighter jets with ice water in his veins. But when he’s assigned a desk job in the Pentagon as the head o
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published September 18th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Minotaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minotaur

Daniel Bratell
Jack Grafton (who seems to follow the same career path as Jack Ryan) survived the last book and is put at a desk in Pentagon. His mission, should he choose to accept it, is to figure out the specification for the next navy attack plane (ATA, A-12) while fighting trying to keep everything secret. All this in the middle of the hunt for soviet moles and industry infiltrators.

(In real life A-12 was cancelled in 1991 and replaced by F/A-18E/F Super Hornet)

In this book the author makes no secret of hi
Marcia
Jul 25, 2016 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! This is an early Jake Grafton story, which deals with Grafton's new assignment to the Pentagon. Instead of just pushing papers, Grafton is assigned to choose which of two prototype planes the US Navy will buy. Lots of information about the planes went over my head, but other readers with some knowledge of aviation will find the passages interesting. Grafton tries to find the murderer of his predecessor in the job and a spy who is funneling top secret information to the ...more
BoekenTrol
May 28, 2012 BoekenTrol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me. This one will stay here untill I've read it.

I liked this book. Not the best espionage book I've ever read, but it was okay.
What I disliked most, was the fact that I could not quite follow the who did what in the espionage part. The main thread was easy to follow, Grafton and his task to be completed.

The spies, the counter spies, the Minotaur.... for me they were a bit shady in motives and who did what. But spy business is always a bit shady, so I
Elyse
Thought I'd try another in the Jake Grafton series. Again, this one was ok, but a little hard to follow some of the secondary characters. Maybe that's because I read it over a period of a few (busy) weeks; maybe it's just that the writing isn't as crisp and the plot isn't as tight as some of his other novels.

Either way, a fun read. I'll keep hoping that the Deep Black series becomes available as e-books from my library!
kenneth  h.  robinson
Bravery, Dedication to Duty, and Subterfuge

A great read with worthy characters pitting their wits against the sneaking undercover agents from Russia. Aiding the spies are Americans selling their country out for lots of money.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"I love the names of the characters in this book - Jake Grafton, Toad Tarkington and Rita Moravia. Jake the main protagonist, Toad the affable almost side-kick and the love interest, stong but feminine - Rita. From the authors own thoughts ""I wanted Rita to be an ace pilot, all business and damn good at her job. Toad, of course, would be drawn to her like a moth to a candle."" Stephen Coonts was born in 1946 and trained as a pilot. After leaving the navy, he retrained as a lawyer and started wr ...more
Steve
May 19, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this Grafton story.
It was a page turner.
There were times that I was confused about the "why" of a characters' actions but that was explained in due time.
Mal Kindle Lusky
Dec 06, 2015 Mal Kindle Lusky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from S. Coonts

Another suspenseful thriller with all the required twists and turns. Well written with lots of flying, spies, and full of intrigue.
Roysart
Mar 14, 2015 Roysart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the stories within the story to keep it really interesting. I also like the Technics of flying.
Stan
Sep 18, 2014 Stan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have not read a lot of the Coonts books and will not rush to read another. It was okay - went from confusing at the beginning but got a little better as it went along.
Justin Miller
My least favorite Coonts book. I'm not sure exactly why but it just didn't pull me in.
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-war
Love Coont's books. If you enjoy military thrillers, his works are among the best.
Brad T.
Mar 24, 2016 Brad T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
My favorite in the series. Less technical more story. Kind of Tom Clancy-ish.
Jeff
Oct 09, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weak book. Poorly developed characters. Horribly written female characters. Some characters know how to accomplish things that they would probably never know. This is a wannabe Tom Clancy book. However, while he really enjoys discussing the technical details of the aircraft, he doesn't have the same skill at making it accessible to the average reader. This book wasn't really awful but I am kind of bummed that I spent time to finish it. The few good moments were too few and far between to make it ...more
George
Jan 23, 2014 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This novel in the series involves acquisition, flying, spies and intrigue. One can hardly put the thing down. Jake and Toad test a stealth airplane, which I believe that the Navy cancelled (in real life). Names are cleverly camouflaged, but obvious for the time of writing...Secnav Lehman as Lanman, for example. Who would have thought that a staff job could be so exciting?
Seth
This was my least favorite Stephen Coonts novel. It moves slower than most and the charachters are not great either. The story is outdated also but what can you do about that? If there is one nice thing I can say about this book, its that Grafton and his family do appear more human in this story then they have in many others.
Andreas
Apr 20, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one has a little more story than The Intruders. It’s all about a new plane developed to replace the A-6 Intruder, and a conspiracy. Our hero Jake Grafton is in the middle of it. If you enjoy aviation, this is probably for you. Otherwise, give it a pass.

James
Oct 10, 2012 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most entertaining thing about this book was reading a book written during the Cold War and the mentalities present when it came to technology and the world in 1980. The book was excited until the last 10% of the book and it was too long to have to wait that long.
Linda
Aug 11, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book a low 3 stars. It's too full of politics and technical details about stealth planes to suit my taste. I enjoyed the espionage story, but it didn't seem as well-written as some of Coonts' other Jake Grafton stories. Too much was left unexplained.
Sue
I acquired this book by accident & didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be surprisingly well-written, a well-crafted spy story. There was also a great deal of technical information about Navy airplanes & Navy test pilots that I followed only loosely.
Rick Wong
Sep 03, 2007 Rick Wong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice intrique, I read this one before ??? I remember when the stealth plane was still in the infancy stage, and the stealth toys looked the plane on the cover. Good follow up of the other two Jake Grafton books. Very believable.
Steve
Sep 23, 2010 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a decent book but the pace was a little slow. If you want a fast paced thriller this is not the book. If you want a book that is well laid out and packed with details and some intrigue this is the book for you.
Jason
Jul 15, 2012 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not badly written, but low on plot, high on episode. Characters are distinctive but rather thin. Events seem to occur by happenstance. A readable beach book to set aside and forget when you're done.
Rob
Jul 05, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was an avid reader of military aviation fiction in High School. I remember enjoying the subject matter but do not remember much about the writing style, etc as far as providing a rating.
Kristopher
Dec 02, 2010 Kristopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, still incorporating some flight scenes, this book seethes with slowly building tension over moles in a secret Navy stealth plane project.
Sandee Priser
Not sure who this was supposed to appeal to. Suspect those who love espionage, military action, technology and romance will all be disappointed.
Sep 07, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my normal story, but I got sucked in because it was a Kindle Daily Deal. Good story and it was nice to get away from my "normal."
Justin
Mar 06, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good follow on to Final Flight, though a bit different book. Got a little long in the middle, but finished strong, good book overall.
Beth
Dec 08, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little slow compared to Intruders. I was a little disappointed but it is still a good book worth reading.
  • Silver Tower
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • Vortex
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11)