Start by marking “The Judge” as Want to Read:
The Judge

The Judge

A brilliant romantic novel that traces the generational pulls of love and fidelity
At seventeen, Ellen Melville’s life is filled with passion for the suffrage movement, her mother, and Edinburgh, if not romance. Then Richard Yaverland, a successful older man, enters her life. Haunted by his own illegitimacy, Richard wants to avert the pain that left his mother a bitter wom
Published December 21st 2010 by Open Road Media (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Judge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Judge

Ali
Aug 24, 2013 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca West’s 1922 second novel is much longer than her wonderful first novel; The Return of the Soldier. It is a complex, densely written novel with some breath-taking descriptions of Scottish and English landscape. It is also – I can see from other reviews – one capable of dividing opinion. I suspect it is that highly descriptive dense writing that some readers dislike, while others may find the highly dramatic melodrama of the end of the novel at odds with what had come before it.

“Ellen tho
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2010 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mummy's boy gets stabby.
Moral of the story - beautiful people are better, except when they're not mumsie.
Lauren
Impossible to rate.

I thought this was a very interesting book although a failure as a novel. It really went off the rails at the end. Knowing a bit about West's life made the characters of Ellen and Marion interesting but as a writer, she really lost control of the material in the last third of the book.

I'm not sure I have ever read such beautiful descriptions of the natural world or a more truthful portrayal of the extreme emotions of motherhood.

In truth, the book scared me a little.
J.
Sep 16, 2014 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland, west
Somebody else's cup of tea, maybe. Rebelliously feminist for 1922, I suppose, if deliriously dreamy crush diaries may be said to fit in with suffragette boilerplate. But by turns too la-di-dah and then wordily lovey-dovey. Which is where I leave off. And that's right where I left it. See you on the barricades, sis.
Joyce
Aug 18, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
This is an excellent study of Marion, whom some would say was a bad mother, but she was very complex. West gives many reasons for her acting and thinking as she does. No one was harder on her than herself. She tries repeatedly to overcome feelings that it seems unfortunately reasonable for her to have. Her failing, and that of Ellen the youngest character, was that they were mired in romantic thinking (and the restrictions of a sexually repressive society). Everything that didn't exemplify perfe ...more
Chrissie
Sep 04, 2012 Chrissie marked it as own-unread  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, gutenberg
I want to read a novel by Rebecca West, since I adored Black Lamb and Grey Falcon. This I found free at Gutenberg. I really wonder if it is worth reading...... I would rather try The Return of the Soldier by West.

Thist was also the first time I have managed to get a Gutenberg book into my Kindle. YAY!
LC
Dec 08, 2012 LC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it weren't for the subjective depictions of nature which pervaded throughout the book and which served as if an essential foreground on which the main characters' souls were reflected, vaguely, lonely, yet beautifully--- and not to mention the odd quality of the book as a whole-- I was gladly surprised.

This read is my first take on Rebecca West. And I must say that I look forward on discovering more of her works in the future.
Karen
This book started out as a suffragette's journey and ended up with the most bizarre series of events I can remember. Melodramatic to say the least.

I'll enjoy getting in on the Goodreads conversation. West's descriptions of nature are exquisite, though.

If I had to give stars it would be 3.5.
Allison C. McCulloch
I wrote this book down on a list a million years ago and have no idea what this is or what the context is of why I wanted to read it.
Joy Stephenson
Aug 04, 2013 Joy Stephenson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has the worst excesses of Hardy and D.H. Lawrence without any of their redeeming features.
Alice Handley
May 01, 2008 Alice Handley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those books where all the problems would be solved if the characters could just get a fricking grip.
Luann
Feb 17, 2013 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much difficulty with this one but in the end I admire it very much. Still processsing the ending.
Letícia Gonçalves
Letícia Gonçalves marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Ursula Stocki
Ursula Stocki marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Melon109
Melon109 marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Fred Steele
Fred Steele marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Loraine
Loraine marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Marilu
Marilu marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Amy Linquist
Amy Linquist marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Batu
Batu marked it as to-read
Grete
Grete marked it as to-read
Stacy Bauman
Stacy Bauman marked it as to-read
Virago Modern Cla...: The Judge by Rebecca West 32 30 Sep 07, 2013 01:20PM
  • The Skin Chairs
  • Frost in May
  • The Benefactress
  • The Swoop!, or How Clarence Saved England: A Tale of the Great Invasion
  • Old Scores (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #3)
  • The Water of the Wondrous Isles
  • William - An Englishman
  • Summer Will Show
  • Non ora, non qui
  • The Diary of a Provincial Lady
  • Candyland
  • Se ti abbraccio non aver paura: Il viaggio di Franco e Andrea
Cicely Isabel Fairfield, known by her pen name Rebecca West, or Dame Rebecca West, DBE was an English author, journalist, literary critic and travel writer. A prolific, protean author who wrote in many genres, West was committed to feminist and liberal principles and was one of the foremost public intellectuals of the twentieth century. She reviewed books for The Times, the New York Herald Tribune ...more
More about Rebecca West...