Start by marking “Immoral Certainty” as Want to Read:
Immoral Certainty

Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp #3)

From a New York Times–bestselling master with over one million copies in print: Prosecutor Butch Karp hunts a psychopath targeting the innocent.

He is the Bogeyman: a remorseless monster stalking the streets of New York in search of fresh victims—his chosen prey being children.

The killings are ghastly enough to shock lawyer Butch Karp, who thought he’d already seen the
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Immoral Certainty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immoral Certainty

Nike Chillemi
They're at it again! ADA Butch Karp and his beautiful colleague and love-interest, Marlene Campi, have each taken on separate cases that merge into one. Karp catches the case of a murdered mobster and Campi investigates the murder of a mutilated little girl who's body was found in a dumpster. As they each pursue their own case, they begin to uncover unspeakable horror and evil and a murky figure abused children call the "boogeyman."

They are still the outrageously quirky couple they were in previ
Feb 18, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanenbaum is always great. I have not read a failure yet. This one includes both a developed court room saga as well as the wild and weird characters. Not sure if the story is from the late seventies or the early eighties. Younger characters before Butch and Marlene get married. Accidently read this book twice (an increasing problem) but rather than putting it away and starting another book, I continued reading and still enjoyed the second pass.
Nov 30, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
on book jacket.

New York Times bestselling author and renowned prosecuting attorney Robert K. Tanenbaum provides the first insider's account of the historic Wylie-Hoffert case, from the shocking double-murder to the wrenching interrogation of an innocent young man, and the heroic Assistant District Attorney who risked everything to unravel a disgraceful injustice. Here is a gripping chronicle of the unnerving crime that led to the Miranda Rights, and of the courageous stand that forever reformed
Sep 03, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It;s really more like a 3.5. It's hard to classify this series as legal (like courtroom stuff!) thrillers as Karp and Ciampi do a lot more thriller--ing than legal-ing in the three books I have read to date. But, they do grow on you and I will certainly continue with the series. One slight irritation is that the author does tend to throw in far too many subplots which are not necessary to the main story. In fact it sometimes takes more than half the book to settle down to what exactly IS the mai ...more
Kurt Young
First book I've read by Tanenbaum. Interesting in that it's set in the '70's in New York. Exactly what year? Curiously, Tanenbaum starts the book declaring the year to be 197X. Why? No clue. Based on dialogue and descriptions it's clear that the action takes place, at least in early 1978, and a reference at the end of the books to Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, seems to set it in 1979. Is any of that important to the book? No, but it drove me to distraction trying to figure out the year because T ...more
Sherri F.
More like 3.5...I liked this book (3rd in Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi series) better than the first two. Even if the plot was one you like or not, it was still overly lengthy in unnecessary ways.

As with others in series there are 2 or 3 cases (mob crimes, child abuse & Satan-worshipping group, et. al.) simultaneously and 2 over them have overlapping relations, this was was more action-packed and faster-paced. Some of the topic was a little more graphic than I wanted to hear, but the overall p
Feb 23, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I loved this book, I've only read two of Tanenbaum's novels but both have been so amazing that I'm sure I'll love them all. I almost never like female characters I find them empty and often irritating (i'm female myself don't worry) but the characters in this are so real and endearing, Marlene is definitely one of my favorite literary characters.

This a little weird though by bringing in a satanic cult and that sort of thing. Not to suggest I don't enjoy that kind of story because I real
Shay Williams
I am enjoying taking a step back in time to the '70s with Butch & Marlene. These books show yet another side of our justice system and I have to admit to being hooked.
Dec 19, 2013 Frank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
library mp3. I was going along OK, lots of interesting observations about NYC DA and police, kind of an uneasy plot about a serial child killer along with a mafia subplot. Then, it started into a bizarre child abuse ring based in an upscale daycare center, evoking the McMartin witch hunt of years ago. The story ripped from the headlines never happened. I turned off the book and deleted, which normally would be a 1, but the other features got it up to a 2. I guess I would read another (free) Tane ...more
Elly Wendy
Apr 23, 2016 Elly Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series and this one probably the best.
Bill Green
Nov 08, 2015 Bill Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm liking the characters more and more.

Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi are put through the ringer; and it doesn't disappoint.

Marlene gets involved in a labyrinth when she pursues a lead of child abuse and possible mutilation and killings. She's gets so involved that she defies the guidelines of her profession; putting up a wall that affects her relationship with Karp, both personally and professionally.

This is a test for both Marlene and Butch.

Anything more would be a spoiler; great book - I'm lo
Dec 24, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feb 15, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my project of reading all of Michael Gruber's books: after finishing all the books he has published under his own name, I'm now reading the series he ghosted for his cousin, Robert K. Tanenbaum.

This one, #4 of 24, kept me up until 3 a.m. Even working within the formulaic rules of the genre, Gruber writes so well he would have me on the edge of my seat (except that I usually read in bed). A fine thriller.
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not quite sure why I've never read any of Tannenbaum before, but this was an excellent book for discovering a new (to me) author. New York's assistant DA, Butch Karp and his colleague, Marlene Ciampi and a delicious sociopath combine to make this plot a thrill. If you love serial killers, this is a good one for you. Plus Ciampi is a delight. I would really like to have lunch with her.
Jul 22, 2011 Marti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is alwaays great to find another Butth Karp and Marlene Ciampi book I haven't yet read. This is one of the first, as it happens. Unfortunately, it features pedophilia--not one of my favorite crimes about which to read. Marlene gets kidnapped, after Butch finally gets his former wife, now in a lesbian conclave in California, to agree to a divorce so that he can marry Marlene.
Sep 07, 2008 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was pretty good--far better than the first two, but still not up to the standards of the later books in the series by Gruber. Important to remember (from glancing at other reviews of this series on Goodreads) that in 2003 Michael Gruber stopped ghosting them, (he wrote the first 15) and, according to most readers, since then the quality has suffered a lot.
Zoe Jussel
Aug 22, 2011 Zoe Jussel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only my second Tannenbaum mystery, but he sure keeps you on the edge of your seat. Crisp dialogue, believable interactions and bringing to the surface some of things we might want to forget that go on in this world. It isn't always pretty, but it's real. The protaganists are very good together and you always root for them and their relationship.
Apr 01, 2013 Patsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
District attorney suspects a child care center director of being involved in the killing of children. The plot thickens as the director's "good" son is caught on murder charges. The "bad" son, with mother and many local higher-ups are into devil worship, molestation and killing of children.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing characters: Prosecutors Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi; stories which end up intertwined regarding a killer with no soul and a devil worshipping, child killing ring.
Jun 26, 2013 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the previous book. Another fine adventure with Butch, Marlene and an assortment of evil doers and cases that aren't related, or are they?
Jul 12, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a roller-coaster of a ride with some good twists and lots of emotions tugging in every direction. a great butch and marlene adventure.
Nov 08, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Jun 11, 2008 Lychee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one kept me up late at night (like a Robert Ludlum although much less generic in quality). Have already ordered the next one through ILL.
Jan 16, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to go back to the earlier novels of Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi...when daughter, Lucy, was a twinkle in their eye.
Jim Meyer
May 23, 2012 Jim Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
once again Karp and Ciampi are able to capture the no-good-nicks...not a bad read !!!
Jul 10, 2007 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The early ones in this series are much better than the latest ones
Typical for the series. Karp/Ciampi relationship advances.
Jul 03, 2013 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My Favorite Marlene and Butch book. Love the series
Jul 07, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it
Story lacked suspense and was boring at times.
Feb 18, 2010 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of his novels I have read to date.
  • Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)
  • Breach of Trust
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Line Of Vision
  • The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3)
  • Blossom (Burke, #5)
  • At All Costs
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Act of Revenge (Butch Karp, #11)