Start by marking “The Topless Tulip Caper” as Want to Read:
The Topless Tulip Caper

The Topless Tulip Caper (Chip Harrison #4)

When a stripper is murdered onstage, Chip Harrison must put his sexual frustration aside to seek out the mobster responsible

One hundred and twenty-three murders. That’s the statistic that gets Chip Harrison’s attention—that and the girl who reports it: a statuesque stripper and amateur ichthyologist who has come to him for help catching the killer of her 123 rare fish. B
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published August 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Topless Tulip Caper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Topless Tulip Caper

Cathy DuPont
Part Nero Wolfe (sidekick is Archie) and part Sherlock Holmes (sidekick Dr. Watson) this is a series with Leo Haig as the 'at home' detective and Chip Harrison as his sidekick, his own Archie, his own Dr. Watson. I think Lawrence Block is playing with us, his readers.

It's said Enjoy the ride...the journey is as important as the destination. Well, this journey was more fun than the destination. The ending was ok, fine but I surely enjoyed the journey better.

Block once again shows his unending t
Kit
Aug 04, 2015 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
slight Nero Wolfe parody w/oversexed Archie Goodwin stand-in.
Tony Renner
Mar 12, 2014 Tony Renner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the fourth, and final, Chip Harrison novel, The Topless Tulip Caper (1975) Lawrence Block pulls off a very entertaining Nero Wolfe pastiche. Chip Harrison makes a very satisfactory Archie Goodwin and Block provides a satisfactory Nero Wolfe in Leo Haig.

In an interview with Ethan Iverson on Do the Math, Block explains:

"The first two [Chip Harrison books], of course, are sort of young man coming of age novels, and the only way they could be a series was if he changed somewhat, because you cou
Gae-Lynn Woods
Sep 01, 2013 Gae-Lynn Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Lawrence Block novel, and I really enjoyed it. It was a light read featuring Chip, assistant to a Nero Wolfe-like detective, Leon Haig. The two men set out to help Tulip Willing, a topless dancer, discover who poisoned her exotic fish. Human murders follow, and all is lost until Haig calls all the suspects together and sorts the crime.

Fast paced, funny dialogue, an easy read. I'll check out more Lawrence Block after this one!
Cindy
Oct 09, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot, like able cast.It's Lawrence Block & it'd been awhile so I forgot...lots of sex references. Still good plots and cast ...
Ed
Aug 06, 2012 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 is the final entry in the 1970s Chip Harrison series. This private eye series is a sendup of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series. Dated, but a quick, fun read.

Chip Harrison series - When a stripper is murdered onstage, Chip Harrison must put his sexual frustration aside to seek out the killer One hundred and twenty-three murders gets Chip Harrison’s attention—that and the girl who reports them: a statuesque stripper and amateur ichthyologist who wants help catching the killer of her 123 rare fish.
Craig Childs
Feb 07, 2012 Craig Childs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Block successfully retains the tongue-in-cheek, wise-cracking tone of the original Chip Harrison adventure (NO SCORE) while also inserting a credible, inventive whodunnit mystery. The Leo Haig character is a Nero Wolfe pastiche, a device cheerfully highlighted by the fact that Leo constantly compares himself to Wolfe. Since this book was originally published under the pseudonym Chip Harrison, Block also includes a several self-referential jokes, such as Chip's editor encouraging him to insert gr ...more
Sherry Ramsey
It pains me a little to give a Lawrence Block anything less than a top rating because I've always loved his books so much. This one, though, while enjoyable, just didn't catch me as much as some others. I like the characters of Chip Harrison and his boss, but I suppose I unavoidably compare them to Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolfe (which of course I'm supposed to do) and they just don't quite make it. Still, the writing is good, the plot interesting, and I'd read more about these characters. I list ...more
Mark Passerrello
Jan 27, 2016 Mark Passerrello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heavy set detective who devotes himself to good eating and other hobbies and has an energetic and good looking assistant do his running around for him? If it sounds familiar, it's meant to be. These two stories are intended as affectionate homage and spoof of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.
Block is an engaging writer, and I came to the Chip Harrison books after finishing the Bernie Rhodenbar books. I was sad to finish a great series. Its just too bad this guy isn't cranking out more books.

These
Lyz
Jun 22, 2013 Lyz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 since this was written in 1975. Lawrence Block's books are much improved since 1975. Remind me to stay away from the earlier books. I stuck with it because I have enjoyed every other Lawrence Block book that I have read, but this was my first in the Chip Harrison series. I'll never get those hours back.
Chi Dubinski
Private eye Chip Harrison is hired to discover who killed a tankful of tropical fish owned by Tulip Willing, an exotic dancer at the Treasure Chest. When her roommate is killed onstage and Chip is a witness, things get complicated. This is Block's homage to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries, except that Chip gets a lot more sex than Archie ever did.
Patrick
Feb 17, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cozy mystery--Lawrence Block style, which means the murder takes place at a topless club. So basically if you like Nero Wolfe or other cozy mysteries and also some mild (by today's standards) sex talk, then here you go. While I'm not a big fan of cozy mysteries I enjoyed it and like most of Block's books it's a short, fun read.
Any Length
An amusing book to while away a lazy afternoon or to read on a plan trip.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Even though I'm liking this series I think I'm done for a while but it's fun.
Denise M.
Sep 27, 2009 Denise M. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: block-lawrence
AKA: Sheldon Lord, Jill Emerson, Paul Kavanaugh, Chip Harrison, Lawrence Block
Glenn
3.5 stars. Block is such a solid writer and always comes up with clever plots that hold your interest.
Vicki
Feb 08, 2015 Vicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was humorous and a bit predictable. I found Chip annoying after awhile but in ways that seem consistent with an 18 old.
Bill Walker
Sep 27, 2015 Bill Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story, quick and fun
Ron
Apr 28, 2016 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Set of semi-entertaining murder homages to Rex Stout and Nero Wolfe.
Pamtallon
Listened to the audiobook. A very light story, with humorous parts. Easy listen. Would give it 6.5 to 7/10.
Matt McNabb
Matt McNabb rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2007
Rhett Durfee
Rhett Durfee rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
proto
proto rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Jem
Jem rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2009
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Killing Castro (Hard Case Crime #51)
  • His Name Was Death
  • Backstabber (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #5)
  • The Moon in the Gutter
  • A Key to the Suite
  • The Woman Chaser
  • Plunder Squad (Parker, #15)
  • Songs of Innocence (John Blake #2)
  • The Bullet Trick
  • The Necropolis Railway (Jim Stringer, #1)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct, #7)
  • Watch Your Back! (Dortmunder, #13)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

Chip Harrison (4 books)
  • No Score (Chip Harrison, #1)
  • Chip Harrison Scores Again (Chip Harrison, #2)
  • Make Out With Murder (Chip Harrison, #3)

“I settled for a cup of coffee. Only it wasn't coffee. It was a coffee substitute made by grinding up dandelion roots. The idea was that it wouldn't keep you awake, and it's always seemed to me that the only thing coffee really has going for it is that it will keep you awake.” 3 likes