Start by marking “Make Out with Murder” as Want to Read:
Make Out with Murder

Make Out with Murder (Chip Harrison #3)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The lady-friend of an assistant to a peculiar PI dies mysteriously, and her grieving boyfriend must investigate her own family to find the killer

The ever-randy hero of No Score and Chip Harrison Scores Again has gone to New York City to work for master detective Leo Haig, a Nero Wolfe wannabe who needs Chip Harrison as his Archie Goodwin. Chip’s main squeeze is Melanie, a
Published December 28th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Make Out with Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Out with Murder

Rob Kitchin
First published in 1974, Five Little Rich Girls was published in the US as Make Out With Murder. It’s a somewhat tongue-in-cheek PI tale, with a fair splattering of in-gags for fans of crime fiction, with the central character’s boss being a mystery novel aficionado seeking to ape the success and notoriety of Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe amongst others. The tale is written in the first person from the perspective of Chip Harrison, a high school drop-out and street smart young man, who investig ...more
Jo Jenner
I loved this book. Lawrence Block has to be one of the first, if not the first, writer of fan fiction. Leo Haig is trying to be Nero Wolfe. He actually think Nero Wolfe exists. He is his own genius but everything else about him is him trying to be Nero Wolfe.
Block has a wonderful style and even gets the narrator, Haig's legman Chip Harrison to promote his previous books. They are really Chip's previous books, so it isn't block try the hard sell it's Chip.
Brilliant.
This is not the best thing I ha
Ed
#3 in the Chip Harrison series. APA "Five Little Rich Girls", this 1974 series entry is the 3rd of 4 for this short lived Block character. Amusing, with Chip's boss Leo Haig a Nero Wolfe parody.

Chip Harrison is settling in as assistant to detective Leo Haig. Chip discovers the body of his girlfriend, Melanie Trelawney. Chip and Leo are suspicious, especially considering the previous "accidental" deaths of two of Melanie's four sisters. Determined to protect the remaining Trelawney siblings, Chip
Patrick
The mystery of Makeout With Murder was interesting enough, and the conceit that Haig was a mystery novel aficionado, obsessed to the point that he believed Nero Wolfe was a real person, was frankly awesome. So, that part was good. But, Chip Harrison? He's the narrator. And, for the most part he's written well, and has some nice breaking the wall moments that make for a different sort of novel. But, the sex? His constant erections got kind of distracting and seemed pretty stupid. Full disclosure: ...more
Mike
Lawrence Block's homage (of sorts) to Rex Stout and Nero Wolfe. It doesn't so much imitate as try to update (circa 1974) the basic story concept. It comes across as something of a low rent, almost seedy Nero Wolfe knock-off with a lot of sex going on. At times it seems more satire than homage while at other times it just seems odd. If I were the kind of person who gave up easily I would have cast this book aside in the first 30 pages, it just wasn't appealing to me... frankly, if it weren't writ ...more
Patrick
Another cozy mystery only like many Block novels it's also got a bit of soft core sex in it. They pretty much go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Yummy.
Cindy
Interesting plot, ends well. A smart tale, well told. Graphic sex - lots of it. Sloughing thru it to the end, too much trouble for me. Audiobook is well read.
Chris Birdy
The story was enjoyable. I'm still not sure if it was a satire on the Nero Wolf mysteries or if Lawrence Block was paying homage to the fat genius. Either way, it was entertaining. I loved the way all the suspects were gathered in a room for the grand finale - pure nostalgia. Although it's not one of his best works, Make our with Murder is certainly worth a read..
Katherine Clark
I do love Lawrence Block. I love his Matt Scudder series, and I also love his Burglar cozy series. But, I did not like this book.

Standalone. I so wanted to like this book. It is a piece of 1960s/1970s sex fluff (nothing wrong with that--just didn't live up to Block) and I am sorry I finished it.
Jim
I very much like the Matthew Scudder series, and years ago I read the first two Chip Harrison books. This is a quick read, redeemed primarily by the many references to other mystery authors and characters.
Kevin Connery
Very early Block, but with his usual charm. Chip Harrison as the leg-man for stay-at-home investigator Leo Haig.
Denise M.
Sep 27, 2009 Denise M. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: block-lawrence
AKA: Sheldon Lord, Jill Emerson, Paul Kavanaugh, Chip Harrison, Lawrence Block
Mary
Like the new characters. Always enjoy reading his books.
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 23, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

Chip Harrison (4 books)
  • No Score (Chip Harrison, #1)
  • Chip Harrison Scores Again (Chip Harrison, #2)
  • The Topless Tulip Caper (Chip Harrison, #4)
The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) Eight Million Ways to Die (Matthew Scudder, #5) When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6) Hit Man (Keller, #1) Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)