Start by marking “Mountain Top Mystery” as Want to Read:
Mountain Top Mystery

Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children #9)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  2,464 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Marooned on a mountain, the Aldens survive a landslide and find a Native American secret.
Published December 14th 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published April 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Top Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Top Mystery

Quinnd2006
Jun 14, 2015 Quinnd2006 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matthew
Apr 26, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
There is a definite change from the first few books to the rest in terms of the amount of supervision the kids are kept under. They're given some limited freedom, but always a carefully laid adult safety net.

Except this story involves Indians who seem to be rather condescendingly treated, including a high-school aged Indian boy who is left virtually unsupervised with little adult concern. Value is placed on Indian culture, but as something to be collected and studied by the White men, not a wort
Petrichor
I reread this book as research for a writing project, and although it probably only deserves one star, I had to bump it up to two stars for nostalgia's sake.
Elevetha
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Jessica
Feb 10, 2017 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites
This is one of my new favorites among this series. I'm always left wanting the story to continue, but this one in particular left me smiling as I finished the book. Now, I enjoy all the TBC books, but I'm rarely physically smiling when I finish any book. When I realized I was actually smiling at the way this story wrapped up with the love of family being a predominant theme of this book, I knew I'd found a new favorite to add to my favorites collection.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 09, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading the original 19 in numerical order. A fine romp that continues in the tradition of the previous books. The "mystery" this time is two-fold, first the ever-present identity of the mystery person, this time an Indian boy, and second, the hunt for a hidden treasure. This is the next summer after the previous book and the kids have decided to go where Grandfather was supposed to be taking them when they inadvertently ended up at the Lighthouse last time. The children are obviously ol ...more
Irene
Jun 23, 2013 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Cathrine Bonham
Another non-mystery, there just wasn't any investigating.
Seriously, all the kids do is say, "Gee Grandfather wouldn't it be great if we could use our vast fortune to help everyone we meet so that they won't have to worry about anything?"
And then Grandpa Alden says, "Why that's a great idea! Who do I write the check to?"
"Yea, it's great to be rich, let's eat!" says Benny.
And that's really the extant of the plot line. There may have been a little more to it than that but not much.
The previous
Erika
I remember liking this one because it had fossils and hidden treasure and mountain climbing.

As an adult though, it's a little weak, and I'm not quite sure where to place it in the timing, if it's a new summer, or the last days of summer after they get back from the light house, or nowhere. And then, just a little thing, the scaffolding is supposed to take three days to build, as everyone keeps saying, but somehow, in the midst of the snow and rain and finding David, wow, the construction is don
Chad VanDosen
Oct 15, 2016 Chad VanDosen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
As always, I enjoyed the mystery that goes along with this book as well as the others. What I liked most about this book was the use of diversity. Having s couple Indian characters made it special for me. The Indians weren't bad people, they were nice! Many people in the past took advantage of Indians and thought they were mean and terrible, but they weren't. In this book the two Indians are depicted as kind, caring, and loving. I love that and it's something important that I want my students to ...more
Ashle Oaks
So far, this is my least favorite story in the series. It just didn't grab my attention like I felt it should have. The first thing that seemed off was how Grandfather poured the hot grease off the side of the mountain without caring about what he might be hitting with it. The author likes to write about Native Americans, and because of the time period it is usually a stereotypical portrayal. I did like the ending with Lovan and David. It was sweet.
Lauren
Oct 28, 2016 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit weak-not my favorite Boxcar mystery by any stretch. This had the feel of an underthought book, and smells like something turned out to satisfy a deadline rather than to get a story down.

I would only recommend to those committed to the series-this is not the right book to get introduced to the series.
Sheri St.
I always appreciate the positive and respectful attitudes exemplified by the Alden children. In this story, the Alden's meet an old Native American woman as well as a Native American boy during their outdoor adventure. They work together to solve the mystery at the mountain top and come away excited and looking forward to where they will go next.
John Dent
Jun 27, 2016 John Dent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The

Drudgery cutoff gingham bobbin and the history of this country has been a while since I was just thinking about you and your family is a good day at work and the boxcar children are you doing today and projects that are not going to be in the boxcar children and adults alike have to go out with you and your family is a good day at work and the other
Maggie
Feb 10, 2010 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really interesting. I like how the author uses so many descriptive words. I can picture almost every single part in my head. This reminds me of last summer when my family went hiking up a trail by my Nana's house.
Ryan Loghry
This is another fun adventure with the Aldens. A hiking trip gone awry, with a mystery for the kids to figure out. I highly recommend not only this story, but all the Boxcar Children stories.
Rivka Ray
One of my favorite childhood series. I read over a hundred of them. The first 50 or so were in order; after that I read whatever book I could get my hands on :)
Willow
I'm working on entering all the books I've ever read. This book was one of them. I read this book when I was 10 years old.
Joselinah
Aug 08, 2015 Joselinah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought of my self with my grandfather exploring the world together.How interesting it would be. And also about the good things the children and their grandfather.
Meadow Frisbie
Fun, quick plots. Did Warner really write hundreds of stories about the same four kids....I'd go crazy.
Stacie
Nov 05, 2016 Stacie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While on top of a mountain a portion falls off showing a cavern inside. The kids solve the mystery and help save people. Mysteries are stuck to them like white on rice.
K.
Apr 05, 2011 K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, middle-grade
All I remember about this book is that Benny nearly gets his fool self killed by flailing around by a goddamn cliff edge (as illustrated by the cover - way to ruin the suspense).
Jamie Leeper
Aug 19, 2011 Jamie Leeper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Boxcar children collection of books are great. I really like the mystery in each story. These books are easy to read and you really get to know each person in the book.
Candice
Mar 20, 2015 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the nostalgia of this book...rereading this series brings back so many memories. Grateful to know my nephew will enjoy these books as I pass along my love for reading to him!
Rebecca
This was my favorite series growing up. I read every book I could get my hands on. I probably read about a hundred, though I know I did not read the later ones in order.
Anna
Jun 01, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And the he bought half a forest and had them rescued by a helicopter...what was Grandfather's job, anyway?
Daniel Devereux
My initial thoughts were to give this two stars but I had to knock off a star for just how cringe-y it is.
Miri
Oct 29, 2014 Miri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The children and grandfather discover a lost treasure and reunite lost family members on a mountain hiking trip.
DJ
May 06, 2013 DJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Didn't have anything to read around the house and these were a pretty fast read. Great for Kids in my opinion.
  • Mandie and the Trunk's Secret (Mandie Books, #5)
  • The Happy Hollisters and the Mystery of the Little Mermaid (Happy Hollisters, #18)
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • Dogs in the Dead of Night (Magic Tree House, #46)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)